Gateway Foundation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gateway Foundation Interview Questions

Updated May 27, 2017

2.4

HRBP Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Gateway Foundation.

Interview

A recruiter within the organization reached out to me stating the organization had an HRBP role open. He sent me the "job description" which was really only the requirements for the role not any of the action items and a "blurb" about the company. Very informal documents looked as though they were cut and pasted into a word document. I looked on the website there was no HRBP role listed but an employee relations specialist. The two positions are very different in the HR world. Once I spoke to him about the role, sure enough it was the employee relations specialist role that he was trying to recruit for not an HRBP. I looked back on their website under the Employee relations role and it was the job description from the website except the action items were deleted. Very deceiving and quite sketchy if you ask me. Just be open and honest about the role you are recruiting for. Why bother recruiting if you are trying to hide what the actual role is?

Interview Questions

• Is this something that would interest you?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gateway Foundation in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from the facility Clinical director the same week. I interviewed at the clinic a week later. The interview roundtable was comprised of the Clinical Director, Assistant Director and HR Manager. All three took turns asking me a series of Mental Health related questions, mostly pertaining to substance abuse within the correctional population. Most of the questions were hypotheticals or situational awareness/reactivity based on past experiences. The interview lasted an hour and a half, at which point the Director gave me a job offer, which I accepted. He then went over the salary, benefits and asked what shift I would want to work. Shortly thereafter, the HR Manager took me to her office and we filled out paperwork. For this particular position (correctional) a urinalysis and fingerprints are required and time sensitive (48 hours). I was given a tentative start date of mid-June.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a client or supervisor question your treatment plan?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever had a difficult situation with a client and how did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Would you have a problem working with an all-female population?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever given Substance Abuse classes before?   1 Answer
    • In your last job did you have to prioritize responsibilities and how did you go about doing that?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was given a take it or leave it offer.

Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gateway Foundation.

Interview

one phone session, two in person interviews with four different senior employees, followed by a tour, very god interview process, made me feel like I was getting into a job that valued the work that went on there.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to counsel, things about boundaries   1 Answer

Counselor I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gateway Foundation (Aurora, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

I had 2 interviews. The first one was with my future supervisor and 2nd was with administration. It took about 4 weeks between my interviews and my start date.

Substance Abuse Counselor I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gateway Foundation (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

During the hiring process there are two interviews you must get through to receive an offer. The first interview is usually with two Clinical Supervisors since they are the supervisors who oversee the work the Counselors do. This interview was fairly easy, but went by kinda quick after they asked at least 10 questions relating to the job. As a 0 hour Counselor Intern I didn't have any experience with this type of work, but I did have education and all the questions were related to how you would handle yourself in a stressful or questionable situation. It may help to look them up online in order to see what exactly the job requires too.

The second interview was with the Executive Director of the site. It was easy and I was shown the grounds in the prison afterwards. After the interview they give some salary info and basically tell you if they think you will get the job or not.

The interviews were two weeks apart in June of 2016, I got an offer July 1, 2016, but I didn't officially start until August 17, 2016. Their hiring process is slow and it may be frustrating but if you want the job you may have to wait at least 6-8 weeks to start after you receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you handle an irate client who is refusing your help?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They gave me the midway mark of what they offer.

Counselor I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnet, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gateway Foundation (Burnet, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward. They seemed mainly concerned with problem-solving ability, and most questions were "what would you do if....." and "name a time when". I had never worked in a prison before and did poorly on these questions, hence, no job offer. I've heard Gateway is great about hiring counselors with little to no experience, but I advise making sure you go in prepared to answer specific questions about how you should react when faced with difficult situations in a prison. As a strengths-oriented counselor, I walked away feeling like I wish I'd had a chance to discuss my strengths. The questions were oriented to mistakes you'd made, people you didn't get along with, your weaknesses, and problems you might face. I wish I had gone in expecting this and considered how I might put a positive spin on the interview, as I just finished my Master's and felt I had a lot to offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you calm down an irate client? Gain control of a counseling group who isn't paying attention? What's your greatest weakness? What would you do if you felt intimidated by an inmate?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gateway Foundation.

Interview

Met with two supervisors for first interview. They were friendly, asked basic questions about my background etc... Talked about handling stress, people having emotional crisis, and asked for experience solving problems with others. A few days later I met with a supervisor and the administrator for second interview. More of the same, this was more of a personality assessment I think. Very laid back.

Substance Abuse Technician/'CD' Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Villa, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Gateway Foundation (Lake Villa, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Two interviews, both went smoothly. When the first person was comfortable recommending me to the next one, the second interview was established. Five interviews if you count the reference checks, the background and credit checks, and the urinalysis/drug test.

Interview Questions

• There were no out of the ordinary questions asked. They had a list of about three to six, and I was able to comfortably share my honest responses with them. Preparation helped, knowing their company a little bit and being able to share about where I was currently working helped, too. I was moving from one top level organization to another in a different city and state, slighty different area of exptertise but same basic industry and same basic job. If you're going in blind, it likely would be a very difficult interview, but otherwise, there was nothing out of the ordinary that was asked of me.   1 Answer
    • in my last job/or with my most recent employer what was the best....what was the worst.....   1 Answer

Counselor II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gateway Foundation (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Spoke with a fake racist supervisor and she asked a lot of dumb questions, really just wanted to be friends it seemed. I thought it was a joke and when I started there I was sure it was just a joke. They play alot of games there and it seems to be a good company but they are full of it from the start.

Interview Questions

• All dumb questions really just wanted someone to like her   1 Answer

Substance Abuse Counselor I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gateway Foundation (Springfield, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

They call you for an interview, say that they will call you for a 2nd interview or call you to let you know if they've decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about group work and conflict. Typical interview questions.   Answer Question