Greenhill & Co. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Greenhill & Co. Interview Questions

Updated Dec 29, 2016

3.5

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Greenhill & Co..

Interview

I had a first round interview in August of 2016, and it was 95% technical. After mentioning that I knew multiple members of their team, the two interviewers that I was speaking with started to probe me with questions about Accretion / Dilution analysis & LBOs. They also told me that I would be interviewing with two team members, and provided me with their names, but when the interview actually occurred it was with two members of their team that I had never even heard of.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Greenhill & Co. (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Had the worst experience with them-
    -Phone screen with a first year analyst who had just started with the firm 2-3 months ago and seemed completely lost. Another senior analyst was supposed to join him but he was not available
    -Spoke with the first-year analyst for 10 mins (Why banking and had just started to answer the different types of valuation question) when he said he had just received an email and had to run and wanted to reschedule as the interview had been going great
    -Emailed to reschedule for the night after, but an hour before that interview emailed again to say he had to reschedule again and this time for a day that didn't work for me. When I replied back to express my unavailability, he never emailed back
    -I had to follow up a week later to him replying that the role had been filled

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Greenhill & Co..

Interview

30 minute interview

Interview Questions

• How can you increase returns in an LBO   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Greenhill & Co. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Telephone and face to face interview, then assessment centre - they were really clear and I enjoyed the process and learned a lot about the firm and myself. Did a lot of research about the company and still felt like it wasnt enough though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Greenhill & Co. (London, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview with Freshminds following initial selection process. Initial process included an online application with cover letter and resume, followed by an online maths test from an external company, followed by a phone interview out of the blue from the recruitment firm involved. There are some campus events that proceed this that give a good impression of the firm and its employees.

Interview Questions

• Basic competency questions. Some brainteasers   1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Greenhill & Co..

Interview

Applied through their website (CV & cover letter), did an online numerical test, got a request for a 25 minute telephone interview a few days after. It was all competency based. (describe a time you had to solve a challenging problem, why Greenhill, why financial services, recent M&A deal you found interesting)

Interview Questions

• what's a recent M&A deal you've been following and why is it interesting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Greenhill & Co. (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I had a first-round telephone interview which lasted around 20 minutes. This was organised by an external company (FreshMinds), which means they are largely set competency based questions which aim to understand your motivation for applying to M&A advisory in particular, and why Greenhill, what makes them unique. Examples of teamwork, a recent deal Greenhill had worked on.

Interview Questions

• Most of them are competency based (and thus predictable) in the first round interview.   Answer Question

Graduate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Greenhill & Co. (London, England (UK)) in November 2012.

Interview

Apply online. Online tests and phone interview (fairly standard process)

Full-time Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Greenhill & Co. in October 2012.

Interview

First round phone interview with external recruitment agency. Numerous competency questions mainly in the style of 'show me a time you have..'. Questions included show me a time you have been given an unreasonable task by someone, time you have showed your analytical ability in a novel task. Other usual questions such as why greenhill, why ghl ahead of bulge bracket banks, why ghl ahead of other boutique banks, recent news development and show how it links to ghl etc. etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you have been given an unreasonable task by someone and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    • why greenhill, why ghl ahead of bulge bracket banks, why ghl ahead of other boutique banks   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Greenhill & Co. (London, England (UK)) in January 2012.

Interview

I applied online, then had to do a maths test, phone interview, and was then invited for a first round interview at a recruitment firm.
    The maths test was fairly standard - lots of percentages, and converting between currencies.
    They also asked you some mental maths questions at the interview, which threw me a bit - whats 8 cubed; if a bat and ball cost £1.10, and the bat cost 10p more than the ball, how much does the ball cost?

Interview Questions

• Under what circumstances would a company merge with another, and under what circumstances would a company acquire another?   Answer Question