Greenhouse Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Greenhouse Software Interview Questions

Interviews at Greenhouse Software

3.2

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Greenhouse Software.

Interview

Full disclosure, I only made it through one round, so I can't speak on the subsequent rounds.

My experience with Greenhouse was brief, but pleasant. Less than 24 hours after I applied for the role, the recruiter reached out to schedule in a time to chat for the following week. I noticed they viewed my LinkedIn profile so they definitely do their due diligence with candidates. I didn't perform my best on the phone screen, but still felt like the conversation with the recruiter was good. The recruiter must have felt the same way because they followed up shortly after with a personalized rejection email, entailing all of the constructive feedback they gathered. This was also given without me asking for it! Overall still a positive process as I expected from a recruiting software company - other companies need to follow suit!

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Long. Took three hours of talking to three different people/teams, and then got rejected at the end of it. Don't go through the process unless you're sure you'll get it.

Interview Questions

Greenhouse Software Response

Sep 14, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. While we strive to be thorough and structured in our assessment of each candidate, it’s also our goal to have each candidate walk away with a positive interviewing experience. It appears we missed the mark in your case. If you have any further feedback to share, please feel free to reach out to me at amoon@greenhouse.io.

--Ariana, Head of Talent Acquisition

Recruitment Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Greenhouse Software (New York, NY) in August 2020.

Interview

The interviewing process took approximately 2 weeks to complete. Once you speak with the recruiter you will have to complete a take-home assignment that consists of 2 scenarios. If you did well on that then you will do a virtual onsite interview (due to COVID). The interview lasted about 2.5 hours. You will meet with members of the team and also 2 other employees from different teams as they will conduct the "Culture Add part of the interview. Based on the feedback from the team is when you would be moved to the final round interview

Interview Questions

• -Tell me about a time when you had to give feedback to a senior leader and what was the outcome?
      -Can you tell me about a time you made a mistake and how did you go about solving it?   Answer Question

Customer Success Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Greenhouse Software (New York, NY) in July 2020.

Interview

Overall, the process was very transparent and organized. It is structured to objectively assess each candidate on the most important parts of the job heavily based on past performance. There is an initial phone screen, an interview with the hiring manager, a take-home assignment, and then third-round interviews with many members of the company. Before the third-round interviews, I was given a schedule of the interviews for the day, as well as the names of who would be conducting each interview and the general topics that we would cover. I interviewed via Zoom as the office was closed due to COVID-19. The interviews began with a quick product demo which was interesting because you can see how the team would be using their own product to take notes on and score the interview. Then we moved on to a "culture add" component to gauge how I have embodied the core tenets of the Greenhouse culture. The rest of the interviews were more specific to the role I was interviewing for. I answered three "case study" questions about how I would handle certain scenarios, reviewed and presented my take-home assignment, and met with a technical team who I would be interfacing with in this role. There was then an opportunity for a relaxed, unstructured chat with another member of the team – this would usually be a coffee break if the interview were held in person. Finally, the recruiter and I wrapped up with a short conversation about next steps.

Interview Questions

• Q: How have you demonstrated Greenhouse's culture values?
      Q: What did you enjoy most and least about the take-home assignment?
      Q: What is your experience working with data?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Interview

I was overall very disappointed in the Greenhouse interview process.

I made it through the full interview process which included:

Phone interview with recruiter
    Phone interview with the hiring manager
    A take home test (the test was challenging but fair, and made sense to the job responsibilities)
    An in person interview with various people from other departments, as well as two members from the team

Everything felt fair and fine until the in person interview. Greenhouse seems to pride themselves on the ‘structured’ interview, which should mean that I am not asked the same question twice. This was not the case, I was asked similar if not the same exact question over and over. The point of meeting with people that were not in the department I was interviewing for seemed to be to measure ‘culture fit’. Haven’t they realized that ‘culture fit’ is just a newer term for ‘beer test’, and is out of date and not a best practice? What about culture add? What does culture fit mean anyway to you; if you don’t want to get a beer with me then I don’t get the job, because you feel we’ll be spending a lot of hours together that’s not work related? Long story short, it just sounds like a popularity contest. I get it, I wasn’t popular in high school therefore I’m not a fit for Greenhouse. But perhaps maybe they should consider the value of having a different perspective, dare I say an adult, in the room.
    They also seem to pride themselves on diversity, yet every person I spoke to virtually had the same exact resume. Bachelor's degree, one or two internships at a brand name company, and then either directly to here or possibly 1-2 jobs before here with solid tenure. Diversity is more than is what is reported on an EEO report. This is not what I look like on paper. I did not have any internships, and I do not have my Bachelors degree as I was not privileged enough to attend four years of college. The level of unprofessionalism I saw while there was also alarming. This ranged from very revealing attire, as well as one of the persons that interviewed me mentioning how their team member was so attractive that it was distracting during meetings. You’re in HR...how is this person more qualified to work here than me? I also was asked straight out HR questions by those not in the department. How are they going to gauge what is a bad answer and what is a good answer? All of the questions were ‘walk me through a time you did this’, which leads to well, stories. I was later scrutinized and told my answers were too long and that was part of the reason I did not get the job. Yes, I could have answered some of these questions better perhaps but this was very much so meant to be a stressful high pressure interview (as if that’s meant to be a preview of what it’s like working with you??) When I took a moment and said ‘wow great question let me think..’ they responded with a smug attitude, laughing to each other going ‘wow a hard question at Greenhouse, who would have thought…’ Turning to each other, acting as if I’m not there.

It is worth saying that I found the hiring manager professional, kind and a SME. I wish I could say the same for everyone else. I still don’t understand why it was imperative for me to get approval from a software engineer in order to get a job in the HR department.

This may seem like sour grapes, but in the end I think it’s better off I didn’t get the job. If this is a preview of what it would be like to work here, then you’re right - I’m not a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you increased the diversity & inclusion at your job.

Tell me about a time where there was a communication gap cross departmentally and you improved this.   Answer Question

May 21, 2020

Thank you for your thorough review. I’m sorry to hear that you walked away from our interview process with such a poor experience. I’ve taken your feedback to heart and have shared it with our hiring team.

A primary goal of our interview process is to give candidates a chance to shine, which means both asking thoughtful questions that allow candidates to demonstrate their unique skills, as well as creating a space where candidates can feel comfortable. We also take pride in our internal interview training and structured hiring practices so that our interviewers are prepared and helpful. It sounds like we missed the mark for you and that you were put in uncomfortable situations with certain interviewers. I’m disappointed and very sorry to hear that. What you described sounds far from the bar we’ve set for ourselves.

I’ll make sure we use your feedback in our review of our interviewer selection process and question design. If you’d like to speak further about any area of your feedback, I would welcome a conversation at amoon@greenhouse.io.

--Ariana, Senior Recruiting Manager

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Greenhouse Software (Denver, CO).

Interview

Nice people but SO SCRIPTED. I was interviewed by children. These people couldn't have been more than 22 years old. It was absurd. And the questions were all behavior "Tell me a time when..." That hour was truly painful. Was very grateful in the long run that I didn't get an offer. How on earth a 22 year old can gauge whether I'd be a good candidate with their lack of experience and those scripted questions is beyond me.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Greenhouse Software.

Interview

Had a phone interview with a recruiter that lasted 30 minutes. The interviewer talked way too fast and was not conversational. She made me feel like I was absolutely wasting her time, and set a terrible tone for the interview with the speed that she was talking. It was disappointing to have such a negative experience with a company that specializes in hiring.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the types of technical projects that you have managed.   Answer Question

Mar 31, 2020 – Technical Recruiting Manager

Thank you for submitting this feedback. Our goal is to have every candidate walk away with a positive interviewing experience, but it appears we missed the mark in your case. Based on this feedback, we’ll be adjusting the format of our initial screens to ensure that candidates, and recruiters, don’t feel rushed in their communication and have time to connect in a more meaningful way. Thank you again for this feedback as it helps us continue to iterate and optimize going forward.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Interview

Overall the questions were easy but they were not very relevant to the specific position. Didn't ask anything about subject matter expertise. not really sure what metrics they are using to evaluate people.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of when you worked with a diverse team   Answer Question

Mar 18, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. Our intention is to create a structured interview plan where each question is intentional and aligned to specific attributes necessary for success in the role. , It sounds like we could have been clearer in this case as to what our interviews would entail and why. Based on this feedback, the team is working together to better improve our communication and clarity with candidates - so thank you again for your honesty about this process.

--Cat, Recruiting Manager

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Greenhouse Software (Denver, CO) in March 2020.

Interview

The interview process seems very extensive. I only made it to the second round of what seems like 4 or 5 rounds. I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter and then another phone interview with a supervisor. Both were about 30 minutes each and the overall time in communication was about 3+ weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific example of a difficult client you've worked with   Answer Question

Field & Customer Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Greenhouse Software (New York, NY) in March 2020.

Interview

The entire interview process ran seamlessly. The responsiveness and professionalism of the Greenhouse staff, both on the HR side and throughout the business, is truly unmatched. Though I did not receive an offer due to a shift in priorities brought about by COVID-19, I have nothing but good things to say about Greenhouse and I highly recommend them for any applicants.