Guaranteed Rate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.3

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Guaranteed Rate (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me on Linkedin and then through email.

Asked if I was interested in having a quick call, we agreed to a particular time slot.
    Recruiter never called me, I reached back through email, recruiter apologized and asked for another chance.
    We had our session, seemed to go well, we went through my resume and talked about the role and my previous experiences.
    Next step according to recruiter is a tech screening/interview, Recruiter said I'll reach out in a few days with the details.

Never heard back from the recruiter, not willingly to follow up again

If you really want to recruit people in such a competitive industry as IT/Software Development you need to at least be able to keep your appointments and get back to people.
    Left me with a terrible impression of the company. I went through the trouble of making time for their recruiter and actually studying and reading up on the company, their culture and the business they are in, a waste of my time. Very disrespectful.

General Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Guaranteed Rate (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

The first interview was done online. A screen asks you 6-8 questions, pretty standard interview questions. Second interview was one on one. More in detailed in breaking down skill set and working experience to see if capable of fitting into this role. Positive experience.

Interview Questions

• How does your past experience prepare you for this role?   Answer Question

Mortgage Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guaranteed Rate.

Interview

Phone screen proceeded web based interview questions. That led to an onsite interview for nearly 2 hours. It was a total of 5 1:1 interviews in different formats. It's a bit intense for commission-based call-center work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when (blank) happened and how did you solve it?   1 Answer

Mortgage Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Guaranteed Rate (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

First a phone interview (I did mine with Kristina from recruiting). Then an online recorded interview (9 questions plus 1 written response). Then an in-person interview that lasted about three hours (one-on-one with a few different people). Then they make their decision.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guaranteed Rate (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. There was a phone screening interview. After there is a phone technical interview with very basic questions on OOP. After passing the technical interview, I was asked to do a "homework" on REST API using any language. After I did the "homework", I was invited onsite. The onsite interview lasted very long, about 6 hours, and all about behavioral questions. There is no time left for lunch, and you have to eat when they ask questions. During the breaks between the interviews, I was kicked out from the conference room that was reserved for the interview because the group was saying they have a meeting. I was told I would get my feedback in 1-2 days, but it has been a week still no response.

Interview Questions

• i.e. What is the hardest problem you have solved? Is there any time you have disagreement with someone?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guaranteed Rate (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied via their career page. 3 weeks later received an email from the recruiter detailing the position, the pay, etc. and wanted to know if I would like to move forward for the in person interview. No phone interview, was directly setup for an in person interview. Meet with two individuals.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current role?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your current role. What did you do on a daily basis?   Answer Question

Payroll Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guaranteed Rate (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied for a compensation analyst role, asked to come in and interview for payroll accountant role instead. There was no phone interview and the recruiter provided me with a list of the 3 people I'd be interviewing with via email once he scheduled the interview. First interview was with the direct manager for the position. She asked simple questions about my background and told me about the company. She emphasized the culture being "young and fun" in the most monotone voice possible. She seemed to respond positively to my answers, however, and said she'd like me to meet with her boss, the next interviewer, and left the room. A few minutes later the receptionist came in and said that the rest of my interviewers were "unavailable" and that they'd give me a call. It's fine if the manager felt I wasn't the right fit but they handled it extremelyunprofessionally. Its been over a week and I haven't heard anything, not even a rejection email. Very poor impression of the company from the interview.

Mortgage Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Guaranteed Rate (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Was referred by friend who gave my resume to a recruiter. Recruiter called and gave me a phone interview followed by a link for a virtual interview where you record your answers online through any device that has a camera. After that I was called into the office and met with 3 different managers, took roughly a hour and a half to two hours. Literally a couple hours after the interview I received a phone call saying I was hired. However they asked me for my W2 which I was uncomfortable turning over when my friend who applied there knew nothing of a W2 request. So the place seemed kind of shady with their interview practices. So while waiting to start new hire classes that was a little over a month away I began turning down job offers because I was committed to working here. However they were not committed to me and their job offers are very fickle. I received an email stating they withdrew my application with no true explanation. However the in person interview is easy with pretty much industry standard questions and hypotheticals. Some sample questions from the Video interview are listed below.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • What is your biggest accomplishment to date in your current or most recent role? What would your boss say about that accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a recent win in your career?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you were stressed/overwhelmed how did you overcome that?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a goal you achieved and how did you achieve it?   Answer Question
    • Describe your current career path?   Answer Question
    • Whats something we didn't ask you that we should know?   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guaranteed Rate (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter that I was already connected with on LinkedIn reached out to me. I told her I saw the job posting she was asking about and it was interesting to me. She asked me to get on an hour call with the manager for the role and I told her that seemed pretty long for an intro call and I was not interested in that time investment to find out if I was even interested in the position. After weekly checkins and continually telling her I was not interested in doing an hour intro call she offered to give me a code challenge to work on. I was in between part-time (after hours) contracts (still working full time) so I decided to work on their challenge. I returned the code submission more complete than they asked with comments on areas of the app I would improve to make it more testable.

I had to ask a week later how the submission was received and she told me the team didn't like that I didn't take the hour intro long call but hadn't heard any final decisions, I still haven't heard 2 weeks later. In short she wasted a ton of my time and kept annoying me to do something I told her upfront I was not interested in. Now I have a negative outlook on the company and will definitely explain this situation to anyone in my network interested in GR.

Interview Questions

• I would like you to write an automated test suite that goes to GouletPens, order 2 different specific Lamy Safari pens and 2 other pen of your choice. For one of the pens of your choice, use the search feature. I then want it to open the cart and confirm the 4 pens are in the cart.

You can use whichever language, test framework, and assertion library that you are most comfortable with. For the format of the test use the PageObject method and end the test cleanly.

Requirements
      Go to gouletpens.com and find and add the following items to your cart
      Lamy Safari Fountain Pen - Red, Fine, Product Code: LMY-
      Lamy Safari Fountain Pen - Shiny Black, Medium, Product Code: LMY-L19BKM
      Two more pen of your choice
      Use search for one of them
      Open the cart
      Confirm the 4 items are in your cart   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guaranteed Rate (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

3 Interviews. First one is with Hiring Manager. It was short. Briefly checking my skills and interests.
    Second one is a video call with a QA Engineer. It last 1 hour and the interviewer is super friendly and informative. Had a few SQL and Selenium programming problems. After that, I was asked to finish an assignment, which is testing an e-commerce website using Selenium. I really enjoyed that project since it is not very hard but yet challenging and I definitely learned a lot from it.
    After one week, I had an invite to onsite interview. 5 rounds. Met 6 people. Everyone is friendly and polite. 2 rounds are technical.