Guaranteed Rate Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Guaranteed Rate President and CEO Victor F. Ciardelli III
Victor F. Ciardelli III

Pros
  • Optional work from home (I am never in the office) (in 19 reviews)

• Innovative "POD flow" processing, tons of support, marketing, literally everything a Loan Officer needs to be successful in a competitive industry (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The loan officers put all the work on their team and in return take home all the money (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management did absolutely nothing about the vulgar language and sexist jokes from co-worker though they were told about it (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Solid Employer, Good Benefits, Values Hard Work"

Current Employee - Appraisal Desk in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Appraisal Desk in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TONS of room for expansion and career advancement. Solid benefit structure. Work hard, think outside the box and you'll rise quickly. This is a great company to get in on the ground floor and start a career at. Great rooftop and almost monthly employee appreciation parties. Very fair compensation once you prove yourself. However, by far the best part of this place is the culture. Very modern and laid-back vibe and I've made lifelong friends at this company. Overall, I've had an extremely positive experience here.

Cons

Overtime pay could be better and the summer hours can be long, but that is to be expected at a company producing funding billions of dollars in loans a year.

Advice to Management

Maybe look at a restructuring the overtime pay a bit. Other than that I've got nothing that bites at me terribly.

Jan 5, 2017 – Customer Success

We appreciate your feedback. We try to cultivate an environment that enables growth and rewards excellence. We are happy to hear you appreciate the opportunities for advancement. Thank you for ... More

"Good Opportunity for Growth and Development"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

reasonable salary
    a lot of opportunity for growth
    license reimbursement

Cons

Relatively new part of the company. Still working on process and has some kinks
    Need more account managers to handle increase in service requests

Jun 7, 2017 – Customer Success

We agree that Guaranteed Rate provides excellent opportunities for employees to grow within the company and continuously develop their skills through our extensive training programs. We are ... More

"Operation Assistant was just one job"

Former Employee - Operations Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Guaranteed Rate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open floor plan
    Rooftop patio
    Theme office parties
    On-site nurse practitioner

Cons

OA's are asked to do a lot, but with little to no incentives or compensation
    High turnover
    You have to be tough skinned, because co-workers will try to talk down to you.

Advice to Management

Respect goes a long way. Pay your OA's, and watch the quality of work shoot through the roof. Everything else is great.

"OK Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Guaranteed Rate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros: Cafe at HQ is convenient.

Cons

PTO is poor, very high employee insurance costs. Comp plan not very competitive.
    Company has very high turnover across the board. If you're not in sales go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee retention.

"Loan Originations"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Guaranteed Rate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product mix and marketing is exceptional.

Cons

No sense of team work between sales, ops and UW. I had the misfortune of getting snapped at when asking questions by other department heads.

Advice to Management

Practice a little humility, don't be so manipulative and don't micro manage.

Jun 8, 2017 – Customer Success

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and realize that every individual has a unique work experience dependent on role and responsibilities within the organization. Communication and ... More

"Guaranteed Rate a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of work and overtime available

Cons

Company lays off right before the Holiday season

Advice to Management

none

"Great company"

Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Ops team is much younger than what i'm used to but it is a nice change.
    -Every person I've talked to is very knowledgeable about their respective job. Cant say that about previous companies
    - Very relaxed work setting
    - Friendly Staff
    - Lots of interactive fun staff parties/events
    - Flexible
    - Extensive Trainings
    - Approachable management
    - Nice to feel like they truly care about their employees

Cons

- Bullpen desk set up are very new to me. I would prefer a cubicle but I get what they are going for. I'll get used to it
    - Extensive online live webinar trainings but very little one on one training on the specific job. I've seen others get more hands on training so maybe its just due to my background or time I started. Wasn't a big deal as i am a fast learner.
    - Much more of an "on call" type position then I'm used to. Cut off time set by management is not usually enforced which then requires you to work until that file is done to meet RESPA regardless of your in office hours or outside obligations.
    - Insurance is expensive

Advice to Management

Not much. I love it here and am very happy to have made the switch to GR. Only thing that irk's me sometimes is the allowed submission of same day files after 3 pm. I'm all for picking and choosing battles but there will likely be a time where an after cut off submission will be ok'd by management but I will physically be unable to disclose it due to prior personal engagement. I don't want this to reflect poorly on me because i am unable to complete it.

May 3, 2017 – Customer Success

Thank you for taking the time to share. Guaranteed Rate is made up of highly trained individuals who do an excellent job of holding themselves and each other accountable. We are continuously using ... More

8. "90 Days"

Current Employee - Vice President of Mrotgage Lending/LO in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President of Mrotgage Lending/LO in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team and Pod Attitudes Great

Cons

Underwriting Turn Times for CTC

Advice to Management

Need to improve Underwriting turn times for final submission to get CTC. 48 hours is way to long to clear just a few conditions!

May 11, 2017 – Customer Success

We agree that our employees have great attitudes. Recently, we began a company wide initiative to decrease turn times within each step of the loan process.

"Mistrust, Micromanagement and Fear"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Guaranteed Rate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, fast-paced atmosphere, close proximity to north side. Some fluff like free monthly happy hours and twenty minute massages if that's what makes you happy at work.

Cons

This is not a culture that values feedback, transparency, or mutual respect among its employees and its chief executive. The company is run through his own personal experience, therefore operations such as IT and marketing are reliant on meeting whatever his personal opinion is. Micromanagement at it's worst. As a result, internal cross-functional meetings are not focused on building a strategy based on customer needs or data, but what leadership might want at that particular moment in time. This cannot allow employees to operate to their best potential in their particular area of expertise and mostly, it breeds fear. And fear for a reason: during my time at Guaranteed Rate, many directors and executives were let go - we're talking 5 within months. Imagine the chaos this causes as more junior team members try to pick up the pieces of what they're supposed to be doing, while not making the same "mistakes" their predecessors/bosses made.

There is little strategic planning, deadlines or other reasonable measures to be able to execute your job with any sort of predictability. Resources to be able to execute might be granted, or not, depending on personal experience instead of a building a predictable budget. Instead of a meeting to discuss your ask, you'll be asked to put the request in the CEO's inbox, or maybe someone in an entirely other functional area will be asked to execute the project that you're supposed to be working on. This also results in territorial behavior instead of the teamwork to work towards building something awesome.

If you're on the fence about working here, you can easily find articles about Guaranteed Rate's approach to partnership and companies they've worked with in the media. The stories align.

Advice to Management

Learn how to motivate employees towards goals without fear, trust that you've hired the right people and give them the room to execute according to plans. Look at customer data, listen to employees and build products with that in mind. If you start trusting the "best of the best" highly qualified, thoughtful leaders you've hired, you'd already be a $50 B company.

10. "VP, Integration Manager"

Current Employee - Vice President, Integration Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President, Integration Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guaranteed Rate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of room for advancement for hardworking individuals.
    Customer-centric culture of putting the customer first.
    Managers that listen to critics and act

Cons

Chicago-centric organization
    Pay for performance, you need to prove yourself regardless of your skill level
    Transparent organization

Advice to Management

Talent exists outside of the Chicago market that can add to the culture and talent of Guaranteed Rate Inc.

Apr 11, 2017 – Customer Success

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. Guaranteed Rate prides itself on putting the customer first as it is one of our core values, "Put the Customer First". We have a culture of professionalism ... More