Gusto Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

Sort:

Outbound Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gusto (Denver, CO) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview then in-person round with three back to back interviews. My recruiter interviewed me, then once she believed I was the right fit, she gave me a lot of helpful information to be prepared for my interview. If you can impress the recruiter, she will become your greatest ally and cheerleader. They are mostly interested in people who have a "sales personality" more than someone who has sales experience.

Interview Questions

• Are you a competitive person?   1 Answer

People Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gusto (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was a very positive experience. Each interviewer had a different style of conducting interviews, which made the process more intriguing and less repetitive. All interviewers were very knowledgable about the company's mission, vision, and goals. As a result, they were able to answer all questions to the fullest extent. Going through the interview process and walking around the office made it beyond evident that everyone was excited to be working at the company and truly believed in the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I got a quick email reply after submitting my resume. We scheduled a Skype screen for a few days later. The interview had to be delayed an hour, and then we did it. There was a bunch of Ruby code that had unit tests, and a piece of functionality had to be implemented.

I thought I implemented it pretty quickly, making the tests pass. The interviewer said I did well and asked if I had any questions. Soon after, I got an email saying that I would not proceed in the process.

Interview Questions

• Implement a method in a Ruby class. Failing tests for this feature have already been written.   Answer Question

Gusto Response

Mar 5, 2015 – Head of Recruiting

Dear Candidate,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Our web application is built on Ruby on Rails but knowledge in this specific language is not required to work in engineering @ ZP.
    We... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gusto in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through school job portal. Had initial HR interview which asked about projects, past work experience. It was pretty good, asked me a lot about my interests in the software world. Technical interview was scheduled swiftly and it was over the phone. It first started with some general technical design questions about my previous projects and work experience and then the coding question via an online collaboration tool. After the technical interview, the recruiter maintained constant contact, and it was a pleasant and efficient interview process!

Interview Questions

• Create a feature for a class based on specs given. Tests with expected output were given.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gusto (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was referred by an engineer, so didn't have to do a phone screen.
    Onsite interview with 3 engineers + CTO.
    Overall, it's clear how much thought has been put into making the interview experience personal.
    ZenPayroll really cares about people - not only their employees and customers but also people who they interview.
    I was lucky to get an offer (and accepted!) and I have friends who were interviewed but didn't get an offer who were positive about their interview experience there.

Interview Questions

• They do pair programming for interviews, so be prepared for that (they give you a laptop and screen, no need to bring your own)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gusto (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. I sent in a resume, they had a technical phone screen with me, and then brought me on-site. On site, I had two technical interviews and two fit interviews. The technical interviews were both super practical pairing sessions. One was on the product itself with the CTO, and the other was on a sample webpage with a senior member of the engineering team. The fit interviews were with the other two co-founders.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to pair program on the implementation of employee nicknames in the actual product.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate. They laid out their level system and where I fit in it, and it seemed appropriate.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gusto (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

As soon as I responded to Charles (one of the awesome recruiters), the rest of the ride was smooth sailing. ZP responded quickly to my questions, arranged interviews, and was helpful throughout the entire decision making process. They showed immediately that they cared about people and their values, and this wasn't just corporate talk: everyone I met was caring, competent, and was an active owner of the product they worked on. The overall atmosphere of intense optimism was also exciting.

Interview Questions

• Please write a function that meets the requirements of the following tests and explain your thoughts as you go along.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gusto (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Relevant interview questions and style, especially for the in person. Tested on how you might actually perform on the job, which made the interviews more conversational than a back and forth. Mission-driven company and founders.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gusto (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The whole place had a warm, friendly, not-too-big vibe to it. The technical questions were straightforward; not trivial but nothing too scary either. What really closed it for me was the way in which the employees talked about their product & their mission - I could tell that everyone really believed in the company and was committed to helping it succeed. I also got the sense that this wasn't one of those places that treated their entry-level people like cannon-fodder; i.e. that I would have ample opportunity to grow professionally here. So far my suspicions have been confirmed :)

Interview Questions

• convert an obscure tax matching format into an actual regex   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Gusto (San Francisco, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

The in-person interview I did at ZenPayroll was unlike any other engineering interview I had done beforehand. Most technical interviews involve solving an algorithmic puzzle on a whiteboard with an interviewer staring at your every move. At ZenPayroll, I was asked to pair program with another engineer on the team on an actual product feature. Not only was it a more practical than most interviews, it also gave me the opportunity to see what it would be like to work alongside an existing member of the engineering team.

I haven't done many interviews in my career, but interviewing at ZenPayroll was the best interview experience I've had.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to pair program with an engineer on the team on implementing an actual feature in the product.   1 Answer