HMSA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HMSA Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2017

2.8

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at HMSA.

Interview

I was contacted a week within submitting my application. I had to fill out another application for and take 3 tests. One was vocabulary and verbiage based, an interactive customer service, and I had to write a correspondence letter.

Customer Care Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

I received an interview view date one week after applying for the position. The interview lasted about an hour. The interviewers were pretty casual and friendly, but only one of the three in the panel did most of the asking and talking. They asked personal questions, but nothing really pertaining to the position. Halfway into the interview, I was asked if I had any questions. I was then told more about the position and what training would be like.

Prior to the interview, I had to take 3 tests, which lasted a total of 1 1/2 hours all together. The tests dealt with 1) writing a letter using Microsoft Word to a member explaining a specific situation, 2) a simple English test composing 50+ questions, and 3) a call center simulation.

Interview Questions

• Was there a time when you did not agree with your boss/supervisor? What did you do?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose HMSA?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between a for profit and non-profit company?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HMSA.

Interview

Got a call within a few days of applying to setup first interview with HR rep rep. Interview was supposed to last an hour, but we went closer to an hour and a half. Didn't get a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • A lot of situational questions (How have you handled difficult people, time management, etc.)   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in January 2017.

Interview

1.5 hour interview seemed too long. Many open ended questions. Not sure what notes the interviewing was taking but typed a lot during the interview. There is a timed test after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Was there a situation where you would have done something different?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in December 2016.

Interview

The second time I applied, I went straight to the manager (no screening needed since I was, obviously I guess, qualified).

Very good interview. Lots of consent, laughter. From how the manager described the position, they were basically looking for me (I kid you not). Thought I had the job (when you know, you know). Did a 8-min. wonderlic test after.

Followed up a week later -no answer.
    Followed up two weeks after the interview -recruiter tells me she would fwd. my email -still no answer. Followed up after a month and said whenever they're ready they can contact me. Why the radio silence even?

After two months they said they extended the offer to somebody else but "it was a really really hard decision". I have little doubt that something fishy went on here, too.

The best part is: a couple of weeks later, the position popped back up as vacant on their website. Looks like whomever they made an offer, did not even want to work there to begin with. What a waste of resources.

AMS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in June 2016.

Interview

CONTEMPT in their COMPLACENCY

They will waste your time, if you want it or not.

Long story short, if you are not deeply rooted in Hawaii, you probably don't need to bother. HMSA is all about "the old ways", which is a sad allegory of the islands' unwillingness for fair competition.

The first time I applied with them, I had a 2-hr interview with the recruiter, a 2-hr placement test (hypothetical business strategy scenario) and a 40 min. interview with the manager. I did very well but in the end it did not matter at all.

The manager did not seem interested in me or my abilities and instead read questions off of her sheet like a robot. I was asked to present my previously developed business strategy to her. Never pressed me nor did so much as follow-up on my presentation or answers. Some questions were inadequate and/or did not relate to the position in my opinion. She cut the interview short because she had to get lunch. The only question I got to ask was when the position needs to be filled. She said they have been looking for a long time.

Followed up two days later to be told they would have an answer by the end of next week. The day came and I was informed that they extended the offer to somebody else. "Luckily, the manager had a hand full of strong candidates." Orly? Sounded to me like they were running out of options. Then I realized that they did not take 2+ weeks to deliberate but to wait for "their" candidate to decide on the offer. Probably somebody from around the block who was decided on before I even got the interview.

tl;dr: jobs are given out on a who-do-you-know-basis.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer communication via telephone or email?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

The worst I've ever had. The recruiter I spoke to was clearly reading off of a script during every phone conversation we had. She would also laugh at awkward moments, or moments she felt were awkward and didn't know what to say. So weird and unprofessional. I just wanted to talk to a human being.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HMSA.

Interview

The interview process was long. My interviewers weren't always available and it took some time to get to speak with the right people. I was fortunate to have a job at the time, but if I didn't I wouldn't have been able to wait as long as it took.

Interview Questions

• Lots of situational questions. They also asked about projects I had worked on in great detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They didn't budge on their offer. I regretted not pushing harder, not walking away. I have a good feeling I was their best or only real candidate. I left a lot on the table from my previous job and I've had a hard time coping with that.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

My profile was referred to them by an ex-employee of HMSA. They did 2 rounds of interviews. One by another Senior Project manager and one by the Director. Most questions were straightforward project management questions.

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in January 2016.

Interview

3 months from online application submission.
    Round 1 - Recruiter: A LOT of behavioral questions
    Round 2 - Department Team: Situational questions
    Round 3 - Department Managers: Situational questions
    Reference check
    Email notification of outcome

Everyone was extremely pleasant and welcoming, making the actual interview less stressful. The employment office is easy to locate and access.