HMSA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HMSA President and CEO Michael Gold
Michael Gold

Pros
  • Good benefits, great culture, great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

• large company with good benefits such as 401K, paid time off, health care insurance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was difficult when you have a time-sensitive project (in 5 reviews)

• If upper management hears about this mistake, expect severe punishment from your manager (in 7 reviews)

"Good people, ok company"

Current Employee - Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fitness center, location, hours, people

Cons

low pay and corporate environment

Advice to Management

more change for advancement, higher raises on yearly review

"HMSA Work Culture"

I have been working at HMSA full-time

Pros

HMSA is beginning to focus on employee well-being.

Cons

HMSA work culture can be very siloed between teams. Some people are helpful team players while others are not.

"Cannot make decisions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Pros

There are still good people there, but the best ones keep leaving because they can't take sitting on their butts until retirement.

Cons

Nothing ever changes. Management cannot make decisions unless there is complete consensus, which is never going to happen with intelligent people seeing benefits in different directions.

Advice to Management

Start making some decisions, even if they turn out to be wrong - at least things will keep moving!

"Great people"

Pros

People there are so nice! They are all so welcoming.

Cons

If you don't want an office job, this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

The pay could be better, but they have definitely nailed the creation of a community in the workplace.

"Rigid and obsolete"

Current Employee - Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Standard benefit package (401k, paid vacation...)
    Friendly co-workers and fairly casual clothing
    Remodeled main office building in Honolulu

Cons

Executive leadership doesn't walk the walk - company values include open and honest, it cannot be further from the truth. A few have tried to change things but left discouraged or were encouraged to leave.
    Buried under a rigid and obsolete management style and driven by a blurry / canned vision, operations suffer from a lack of alignment and ability to execute.
    Rarely people are rewarded on facts / data / accountability. You will see people at key position not going anywhere in spite of their incompetence because they belong to the good old boys club.
    I could go on and on but you get the idea... on the surface it looks OK but as soon as you'll try to accomplish something meaningful, you'll realize it's a cluster.

Advice to Management

Like another review said.... won't matter, they're full of themselves.

"Extremely Disorganized"

Former Employee - Case Manager - Service Coordinator in Kea‘au, HI
    Former Employee - Case Manager - Service Coordinator in Kea‘au, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule (somewhat), wide variety of work tasks, opportunity for growth, good pay and benefits.

Cons

Complete chaos in the department I worked in (service coordination). Ask 3 managers a question and get 3 conflicting answers.

Advice to Management

Need to provide better oversight STAT!

8. "Customer Service"

I have been working at HMSA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Their a loyal company to their members and the community. Great bunch of people to work with.

Cons

They need to hire more staff to support such a large clientele in Hawaii.

Advice to Management

Please hire more staff to support our members and our community.

"IT Program Manager"

Pros

Good Benefits, Good Coworkers, Flexible Schedule, Good Location

Cons

Must understand the culture and learn who the decision-makers are in order to accomplish basic deliverables. Low pay. Long Hours in IS Department. Horrible parking.

Advice to Management

Train new leaders...treat your people with respect.

"High hopes, but big disappointment."

Pros

I've tried to find some Pros worth mentioning, but there are few. I can say that for the most part, the people who work there are good people and you can even find some who will be friendly enough to get to know, may invite you to lunch, etc. They are in the process of upgrading the building and the new areas are nice - a big improvement. Probably the most I can say about the organization is that is a BC/BS member and that does look good on a resume if you plan to stay in the industry. HMSA also has the largest share of the market, which can be a pro or a con.
    For me personally, I've learned a lot of new communication skills and how to be creative in finding resources.
    I'm only giving HMSA two stars instead of one because I have found some really good people there and I've been a part of some interesting work, plus I do believe that they can get their act together if they really wanted to.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    The con part of being the biggest fish in a small pond is that there is an arrogance within the organization, a sense that "we've always done it this way" and consequently they are behind the times in so many areas.
    The amount of rework, paper, nonsensical processes and "silo" mentality is mind blowing. I've not seen this much manual processes since I started in the industry decades ago.
    Management and staff don't want to hear anything about doing it differently or better, if you're hired for a certain skill set or experience, please don't use that skill set or mention "how I've done this before" because you will be ignored and marginalized.
    The lack of training, support and tools to do your job is very discouraging, yet the expectation that you perform is so great, no one will admit to a mistake as the consequences are often severe and managers do not back up their staff - they throw staff right under the bus when something goes wrong.
    The lack of leadership is obvious and so very painful, information is power so consequently front line staff often don't know what's happening in the organization. Decisions that impact staff are not shared and staff does not get the opportunity to provide input or be part of the decision making process.
    The issues are systemic, top down lack of leadership that even changing departments won't make a difference.
    The organization will continue to lose really good people who just give up after awhile and move on, and that's unfortunate. HMSA could be a really great place to work but they just can't seem to get it together.
    The pay scale is lousy and the opportunities to move up and grow professionally are just not there; they offer no continuing education or even encourage professional growth.
    I've been there long enough now to realize that no matter how hard I work or how good my performance is, nothing will change.

Advice to Management

Clean house. You have staff there for 30 or 40 years, managers that have never been trained and treat staff horribly. Stop promoting people who don't deserve it and get rid of a really worthless annual review process that doesn't mean anything and is easily gamed. Leadership, make your faces known in the work area - invite people to sit with you, get to know your staff. Listen to them, there are good ideas and amazing people who would be magnificent if given the chance. Be truly transparent - communicate both up and down - make weekly visits to where your staff is working and observe and learn what the challenges are. The organization needs fresh blood and new vision.

11. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Awesome coworkers and gun place to wrk

Cons

None really enjoyed it very much