HMSA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
HMSA President and CEO Michael Gold
Michael Gold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee benefits are good with 401K, health insurance, onsite fitness and depending on the department, flexible work hours (in 11 reviews)

• There are great people who work here (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and poor upper management make it a tough place to work (in 11 reviews)

• There is little to no leadership development, and the company is very resistant to change (in 5 reviews)

1. "overall"

I worked at HMSA part-time

Pros

Manager was motivational, got to meet a lot of people

Cons

the setting is not comfortable for work

Advice to Management

better fix the place make it more comfortable to work

2. "Former Employee"

I worked at HMSA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a very flexible position there so could work at home, which for me is optimal. There are some great people there and it's the one of the largest employers in Hawaii so there are some upsides to that. Due to the lack of available talent on the island, if you desire it, you can take on tasks and roles that you wouldn't be able to do on the mainland and I personally found that a major PRO. But you have to push for it and have the right manager. It's a good place to get your foot in the door in the business and from there you can take your skills to other organizations who pay better and treat staff with respect.

Cons

Several and really too many to list but basically there is a lack of coordinated leadership, little transparency and absolutely no support to front line personnel. Managers are not trained well and promotions are made based on who you know or who you're related to. The annual review process is burdensome and meaningless. Bad behavior is tolerated and there are no consequences for those who continually refuse to do their work or treat coworkers rudely. Management style is fear and intimidation. Morale is very low. There is a sense that doing the right thing is secondary to covering your rear.

Advice to Management

Support your employees, they are your bread and butter, HMSA. Train and support your supervisors and managers, stop hiring executives and beef up the front line work force and make sure they have the tools and support they need to do their jobs. They are the face of the company and should be supported. Take a look at the morale of staff, under each VP, and address - they don't need more "casual days", they need to feel appreciated and have a voice. They know how things should be run, listen to them. If you have VPs who have people leaving or lots of sick days, look at how that VP is running their shop. You have some talented people working there but you'll keep losing them unless something changes - HMSA won't be the biggest forever.

3. "CSR"

I worked at HMSA full-time

Pros

Good benefits. has a gym

Cons

everything else. lots of lazy people getting paid to do sub-standard work

Advice to Management

cut the fat. take some pride

"Stagnant Company"

I worked at HMSA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great vacation time, if you stay long enough to increase your accrual rate. Great benefits (but that's too be expected from a health insurance company).

Cons

Very stagnant company stuck in old ways
    Not willing to invest in the right people or technology to advance their goals
    Management is constantly changing and shifting goals
    Very hard to advance vertically within the company, only laterally
    Salaries are too low
    A lot of office politics - causes even more slow-downs and difficulty completing tasks

Advice to Management

Make the investments in the right people and technology. Stick to goals for more than one year so the company can actually start working towards (and completing) the goals.

"It may pay your rent ..."

I worked at HMSA full-time

Pros

Carefree employees depending on dept

Cons

Low pay for standard cost of living in HI

Advice to Management

Cut down on middle mgmt ,

"It’s a good place for those starting out of college to get work experience."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are great people who work here. They are also mindful of your quality of life, and ensuring that it’s not always about the work.

Cons

Direction by upper management doesn’t always seem clear. Especially when it comes to what product or vendor they choose for projects.

Advice to Management

This is for the VP and above, they should appreciate their employees more. The employees are your backbone, they talk to members, talk to providers, they know the ins and outs, but upper management doesn’t show or seem to appreciate all the work that is done.

7. "Neighborhood center associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilo, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilo, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

being engaged and giving back toy your community, schedule, pay

Cons

cant think of any cons

"How badly do you need a job?"

Former Employee - Account Processor in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Account Processor in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training on the insurance industry, the facade of work life balance, weekly famers market

Cons

Systemic discrimination based on ethnicity, protected harrasement, forced 7 day a week mandatory overtime, not being allowed to take time off, Imbalanced workloads, insane amounts of gossip and anger from employees, low pay, paying high premiums for their employees insurance plan, belittling employees in staff meetings, constant sexual comments from management toward female employees

Advice to Management

If you hate what you do, maybe you should find something else

9. "Great benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits & a working environment that, while very corporate, still tries to promote health/wellness for its employees.

Cons

Lack of communication and transparency with employees can be a challenge, and often it feels like the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing.

"Huge disappointment"

Former Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cant think of any, casual Fridays, I guess

Cons

Long hours, low pay, no recognition, pathetic raises

Advice to Management

Tip: HMSA: your managers and supervisors have been basically stealing from you. Lots of them work from home, but don't even bother checking their email. Very unproductive and frustrating environment. Even though my work was stellar, and I met all goals, my supervisor of 8 months made false accusations against me and ruined my 16 year career, I resigned. She no longer works in this department. I wish upper management had stepped in, but they didn't.