HMSA Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
HMSA President and CEO Michael Gold
Michael Gold

Pros
Cons
  • Its not uncommon to see someone running an area they have little to no experience in (in 5 reviews)

• Work/life balance was difficult when you have a time-sensitive project (in 5 reviews)

"Good people, ok company"

Current Employee - Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fitness center, location, hours, people

Cons

low pay and corporate environment

Advice to Management

more change for advancement, higher raises on yearly review

2. "Great People, Tons of work"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are great (personally), flexible schedule, location

Cons

poor upper management, non-profit company so resources are limited - making workload unbearable

Advice to Management

listen to the workers

"Cannot make decisions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Pros

There are still good people there, but the best ones keep leaving because they can't take sitting on their butts until retirement.

Cons

Nothing ever changes. Management cannot make decisions unless there is complete consensus, which is never going to happen with intelligent people seeing benefits in different directions.

Advice to Management

Start making some decisions, even if they turn out to be wrong - at least things will keep moving!

"Rigid and obsolete"

Current Employee - Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Standard benefit package (401k, paid vacation...)
    Friendly co-workers and fairly casual clothing
    Remodeled main office building in Honolulu

Cons

Executive leadership doesn't walk the walk - company values include open and honest, it cannot be further from the truth. A few have tried to change things but left discouraged or were encouraged to leave.
    Buried under a rigid and obsolete management style and driven by a blurry / canned vision, operations suffer from a lack of alignment and ability to execute.
    Rarely people are rewarded on facts / data / accountability. You will see people at key position not going anywhere in spite of their incompetence because they belong to the good old boys club.
    I could go on and on but you get the idea... on the surface it looks OK but as soon as you'll try to accomplish something meaningful, you'll realize it's a cluster.

Advice to Management

Like another review said.... won't matter, they're full of themselves.

"Extremely Disorganized"

Former Employee - Case Manager - Service Coordinator in Kea‘au, HI
    Former Employee - Case Manager - Service Coordinator in Kea‘au, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule (somewhat), wide variety of work tasks, opportunity for growth, good pay and benefits.

Cons

Complete chaos in the department I worked in (service coordination). Ask 3 managers a question and get 3 conflicting answers.

Advice to Management

Need to provide better oversight STAT!

6. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Awesome coworkers and gun place to wrk

Cons

None really enjoyed it very much

"Stagnation"

Former Employee - Configuration and Release Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Configuration and Release Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Almost impossible to get fired, if you are into that kind of thing. Nothing ever changes, if that is what you seek.

Cons

Management is something of a vast parking lot for the tenured. Job titles and responsibilities bear no resemblance to the skills and knowledge ordinarily expected of those in such positions. Because of this, you will have to endure a nightmare marathon of completely unproductive meetings wherein posturing and gladhanding substitute for intelligent conversation. It is like welfare for those who have been around for a long time and would do or say anything to keep in the running for the pension plan, which they have thankfully stopped. As such, the expensive tools sit around unused for years while the 'leaders' balk and blink and stare. The people who actually understand core functions are subjected to the firewall of inane meetings where subjects which are easily searched and learned on the internet are second-guessed and 'consensus' becomes the stone pushed by Sisyphus. Consultants are ignored as well, down to the definition of common words. The result is a haven for those who seemingly have no desire to read and learn or change the way of doing things, leaving a core group of competent individuals somewhat overworked to keep things running as the others merrily tend to spreadsheets, arcane tracking and unreadable documentation, the useless phalanx of Confederacy of Dunces meetings and two hour lunches in the middle of six hour days. Fun for all!

Advice to Management

Google it. This has all been figured out years ago and all you need to do is follow the directions. It is far too expensive and unfair to the policy holders to have that much dead weight in human and technological capital on Accounts Payable.

8. "Good family-friendly environment"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management at HMSA is concerned about vision and growth, but more importantly the company wants their members to be satisfied and their employees to be happy. Working on a small team allowed me to tend to personal family issues. HMSA is currently making accomodations for employees to work remotely as much as possible.

Cons

Work/life balance was difficult when you have a time-sensitive project. The opportunity to work remotely also requires the discipline to STOP working outside of business hours. Some project timelines require you to work on weekends, evenings, holidays.

9. "HR Performance"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time

Pros

The HR staff member that worked with me throughout the application and hiring process did an exceptional job explaining the company, values, culture and expectations. She was extremely thoughtful in her effort to help me find a good overall employment fit. I had no personal ties with her prior to our initial conversation, and I am touched by her willingness to help interested applicants. This HR member is also a very good communicator. All of her emails are well written and I believe she clearly explains expectations during the interview. This post has nothing to do with my new position. It has everything to do with the fact that this is genuinely one of the best HR experiences I have had. I hope to live up to the expectations. For now, I can honestly say HR with this company is exceptional.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about this company.

Advice to Management

I believe management is aware this employee is valuable. I have already heard positive comments about her in the workplace.

"Horrible mistake"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA (More than 10 years)

Pros

cant think of any pros

Cons

small minded people, lots of cliques, lots of ego stroking to middle management. Upper management can care less.
    HR is a joke.

Advice to Management

None, because I know that any advice I do have will not be taken into consideration and is meaningless to you