Harvard Management Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harvard Management Company Interview Questions

2.8

Vice President Finance Real Estate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Harvard Management Company (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

I met with two hiring managers and the HR manager. They were kind and truly interested in me. Although I did not get the job, the HR manager Drew called me to tell me they had selected someone with qualifications that matched their requirements more than I did. I was very impressed that he bothered to make the phone call. Also, the CFO responded back to my Thank You email which was also very kind. I appreciated their professionalism and courtesy.

Interview Questions

• They asked simple questions, including an inquiry about my ability to multi-task.   Answer Question

Bookkeeper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard Management Company (Merrimack, NH) in September 2015.

Interview

I had emailed a cover letter and my resume directly to the Controller. Her e-mail address was easily attained by visiting their web-site. I got a timely response and completed a phone interview. Amy then offered me a face to face interview where she went over the job description in detail. After the first interview, she informed me she needed to interview more candidates which was understandable. Knowing that the interview process takes a little bit of time in today's business world, I received a phone call from Amy stating that she wanted to meet with me for a second interview along with the owner/President David. They greeted me warmly and we discuss the position further and they asked again about my work history and my personal view on their business. I had done some research on them before and I know that property management is a growing industry that I knew this was a company I wanted to be apart of. After the second interview, Amy informed me she would have a decision by next week for me. A few hours after leaving their facility, I received a phone call stating that they wanted to offer me the job. I happily and gratefully accepted and I look forward to putting in many years with the company.

Interview Questions

• One question they asked me was why I wanted to leave the busy hustle and bustle life of the Automotive industry.   1 Answer

Investment Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard Management Company (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through my university. Attended their Open House and received call to a super day. 3 interviews with 2 managers/VP each. Very friendly experience. No technical questions, just want to see if you are a good fit for the department and what role would be the best. They called me the same day to offer the position.

Interview Questions

• What differentiates HMC over other investment firms?
      What would you do with $10M?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard Management Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

I never got to an actual interview. An intern saw my resume and contacted me asking to set up a phone call. Since I take my current position seriously, I asked if I could be called after hours. I was shocked when I was told this particular person did not take calls before or after business hours. When I asked why, I was told that they would be moving forward with other candidates at this time. This is a terrible experience to have had from HR (and this is coming from someone who is in HR!!). hopefully this was an isolated incident, but it left me with mixed feeling about the company.

Credit Desk Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard Management Company.

Interview

Had a phone interview with the head of the department. Mostly questions on your background--know your resume well and be prepared to elaborate on your technical skills (Excel, VBA, etc).

Interview Questions

• I talked about a stock I pitched whose price hasn't gone up, and was asked why that is.   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard Management Company.

Interview

Process was a bit sloppy as HR messed up the date and time of my interview. However, it was a good experience although strictly behavioral in nature. A half an hour of conversation with 6 different individuals (3 hours total)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard Management Company.

Interview

Initial phone interview. Mostly fit oriented questions about my background and how I could add value to the team. Asked me to run through my background as well as my recent experience and how I thought this would transfer well to the role. The second round is a full day of one on one interviews on site. More fit questions and overview of my skills.

Interview Questions

• No challenging questions. Really just fit and background questions.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard Management Company in November 2013.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I was invited to their office for a half-day onsite interview. The process consisted of 4-5 consecutive half-hour 1-on-1 interviews. The interviews were mainly about my resume and about my fit with the company. Some of them also asked technical questions about investing and quantitative tools. In general, all of them are very kind and the conversations were encouraging.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected actually. Typical investment-firm questions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard Management Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

Found the position via a recruiter which I have worked with for a long time. Phone screen starts the process. Software foundation questions are given - should know basics, and obviously need to be a good communicator.
    After passing the phone screen, I was scheduled for an interview. I spend 20 minutes with an HR associate. Usually this is a senior level HR associate who just determines you're not insane, or creepy or crazy. At this point - you've had to discuss the job, and interview with a recruiter, a phone screener, and an HR associate. Now you're ready for the real thing.

At this point - any number of developers, managers, executives can and will interview you. Usually it is peers, or your direct manager (the person to whom you will report) will interview you. This person will probably choose some of your future peers, as well as his executive level manager to interview you. Finally you will be interviewed by the head of IT - a senior level executive. Usually these are the easiest, but this one was a high pressure offensive attack.

Do not waste your time or theirs if you're not qualified for the job. You must bring substantial work ethic and competence to this work place. If you don't, you won't last long if you are even hired.

If after this day of interviews (1x HR, 4x Peers/Managers, 1x Sr. Executive), you may get a call back for a second day of interviews.

The second day of interviews is simple. They may have determined they are on the 'wish to hire' side of the fence. You're basically in the clear. You will meet with secondary level associates - people you'd be working with (not for) and usually people outside your expertise. They won't know your domain knowledge - but they are trying to decide if they want to work with you. Again - it should go without saying - but be a hard worker, and show interest, and you should be all set at this point.

You'll leave this 2nd interview day not knowing anything. You'll then get a call at some point that they have made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Senior Level Executive's rapid fire question style. He/she will destroy you if you're not prepared, and you will be left feeling embarrassed. Luckily for me, I was not embarrassed, but I could tell this would certainly be the case for others who wouldn't be so lucky.
      Again, if you're qualified, then the once you display your talents, and competence, all you have to do is have a good attitude, and show that you have good work ethics - but why wouldn't you have a good attitude and good work ethics. This day and age, I feel I must write this, even though it should go without saying.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Dealt entirely with HR associate as the negotiator. Very simple - accept their offer as this is a great company with top notch benefits.

Analyst Interview

Interview

2 hour, rotating interview with multiple people from team