Help Scout Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2020

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Help Scout

HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Help Scout

Found 24 candidate interviews
Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Help Scout (United States)

Interview

I spoke with a number of people including Nick (the CEO), most of the VPs (Design, Eng, Sales), as well as folks in Product roles, of course, and a couple of other people. Two things made the interview process totally delightful: 1) None of these interviews were too "interview-y" and they really just felt like great conversations. And as conversations should be, they were bi-directional with plenty of time for me to ask a lot of questions and dig deeper to really get to know the company and their culture. 2) The level of transparency from everyone I spoke with was astonishing. I wasn't just hearing a sales pitch on why I should join! I was hearing the good and the challenging in terms of remote work and I was getting a fully transparent picture of the company's current status and outlook during this COVID-19 time and beyond.

Interview Questions
  • After speaking with everyone on the interview loop, I was asked to write a product brief on a specific product feature.
    1 Answer
Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Help Scout (United States) in Feb 2020

Interview

One of the smoothest interview processes I have ever been through! All of the interviewers were super engaged on the video calls. The team was very responsive and I always knew what next steps looked like (they follow a well thought out interview process outlined on their careers page). Every step assessed different skills/experiences and I wasn't asked the same questions over and over at each stage. I felt like my time and efforts were really valued, especially during the project phase.

Interview Questions
  • Behavioral questions about my experience and questions around how I want to grow in my career and how they could help me achieve that!
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Help Scout (United States)

Interview

Applied on their website, where they asked the same question another person mentioned in their glassdoor review from 2016. That was a red flag, but I applied anyway. I really regret wasting my time applying with them. They make you jump through hoops just to apply online. The culture they project is probably not reality. The claim to promote diversity, but their hiring process just wants the BEST. Hint: equality is sameness, equity is fairness. Best said by birmingham university "Treating someone fairly can sometimes mean having to treat them differently, in order to take into account their circumstances and enable them to participate on equal terms with everyone else. " Just look at the video still on their careers page, I really do not see diversity (neither of race nor gender).

Interview Questions
  • Please write a method in Java that determines if a string starts with an upper-case letter A-Z.
  • Why do you want to work at Help Scout?
  • Why should Help Scout want to work with you?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Application

I interviewed at Help Scout (New York, NY) in Aug 2019

Interview

I had to submit my application and then create a troubleshooting video to walk a customer through an answer to their question. They were checking if I can use whistia to create a video, my speech, and my troubleshooting techniques

Interview Questions
  • I've been asked to create a troubleshooting video to walk a customer through an answer to their question. They were checking if I can use whistia to create a video, my speech, and my troubleshooting techniques
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Help Scout (Denver, CO) in Jul 2019

Interview

I had a very positive experience in interviewing with Help Scout. The first interview was with a member of the team that I would be working closely with over video and the second was with the hiring manager which was also over video. After those two interviews, I had a conversation with one of the recruiters on expectations and was given a project. The project is then presented to a few members of the team. I especially liked doing the project because it allowed me to showcase my skills and knowledge.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked about a project that I was involved in and was most proud of?
Anonymous Employee in Spain
Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Help Scout (Spain) in May 2019

Interview

6 months ago I talked to the hiring manager and the founder and CEO, Nick Francis. The first one was around how Help Scout builds product. The chat with Nick was more casual around product in general. Once I went through the hiring process, this is how it went: - Somewhat casual chat with hiring manager about what changed since we last chatted and why now was a good time. - A project brief. I was given some feature requests. I delivered a problem statement and explorations of solutions with pros and cons.. - Chat with founder and CEO about the project. - Chat with recruiter around benefits. - They called two references and asked for strengths and weaknesses to my colleagues. - Offer.

Interview Questions
  • Questions were not general but specific to the project and myself.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Help Scout (United States)

Interview

Call with hiring manager, followed by calls with VP, COO and presentation portion. I made it to the hiring manager call, then pulled out. It was a big plus to speak to the hiring manager so quickly instead of jumping through hoops first. It was quite was refreshing and I applaud HelpScout for eliminating that barrier, at least for their sales hiring process.
That being said, a 30 minute interview is not enough time to do anything more than mechanically sort through a pile of applicants with templated questions. I do wish we had more time to have an actual discussion about business challenges in more depth. It came across as less of a conversation to mutual benefit, and more of a "read your resumé to me and I'll sort you into a bucket" call. Frankly, I expected more from a company with a really good (though limited in sample size) Glassdoor score. WHAT MADE ME PULL OUT-- was that the hiring manager seemed wholly unqualified. I actually made (much) more money in my last salaried role as compared to their last salaried position prior to HelpScout. This normally wouldn't be an issue or even worth mentioning, but is a massive red flag for leadership in a sales organization. It also struck me as potentially nepotic given nearly every subordinate member of the team came from that exact same past company. Certainly do your own research, but be cognizant of what seems like a peculiar political dynamic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spain
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Help Scout (Spain)

Interview

Had an interview with the recruiter going over basics which went well, then with an HR person which went well, then another interview with an engineer about JavaScript which went great. Was then given a take home project that will take at least 4 hours using React to create a bookstore app where you add/remove books. Sent in the project and was told I did very well. Then had the final interview with the Cofound/CTO who seemed pretty uninterested and lethargic. After I got off the phone with him i received a rejection email saying they "needed a candidate with more experience in the areas we are lacking". I'm sure they knew about all my experience after all the interviews and the project i sent in so this was some made up explanation for whatever reason. Soooo much time spent on interviewing and project only for nothing. Can't imagine why they can't figure out how to reject someone sooner instead of taking up so much time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Help Scout (Salt Lake City, UT) in Apr 2018

Interview

About 1 week after applying online for the remote position of Content Strategist, I received a request to schedule a time for a video conference call interview. I was told at the very beginning of the interview that it would be very casual, just to get to know me and everything seemed to go really well. I was even asked to present writing samples to review before the next stage of the process. Within 24 hours I had received an email saying that I was not the right fit for the position. The woman I interviewed with was nice enough, I just felt she had me curate my samples with no real interest in reviewing them.

Interview Questions
Help Scout
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Help Scout (United States) in Apr 2018

Interview

Since the company is completely distributed, communication through writing is extremely important. They asked three questions in their application and requested a resume. After applying I did two video interviews with the team. They were incredibly accommodating! They were kind enough to quickly get me started with the process because they were quite far along with other candidates. They even worked around my schedule--I was 11 hours ahead of them so it was tricky! Interviewing with the team was awesome! Help Scout is the real deal. The company seems to truly be oriented towards the people who work there and creating an amazing place for them to work. The people team is thoughtful and deliberate with what they do. Help Scout is clearly a leader in the customer service realm, but they are also a leader in the people realm! Their blog posts about what they do as a people team can be used as a blueprint for other companies on what to do! It was great to delve more deeply into these aspects during the interview. They were transparent, helpful, and gracious throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions
Viewing 1 - 10 of 24