Hopper Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Hopper

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hopper (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in May 2019.

Interview

All remote (due to being in a different country) - started with a short automated online coding exam, followed by a human coding interview over video chat , followed by final 4 coding interviews over video chat.
    Then got an offer.

All the interview exam questions were high quality, seemed relevant, were challenging but not too difficult given enough thought and effort.

The entire process was highly efficient and flexible, and I had a person from HR accompany it in its entirety.

Interview Questions

• Given a (flat) encoding for a hierarchical "bullet list", produce the actual bullet list in a non-flat way   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hopper (Boston, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

Online screening problem, in person screening problem and introduction, ...

I like the problems selected for the phases I attempted. My biggest complaint is the online technical screening problem is restricted to four programming languages, but no one told me this before attempting the problem. I had to use a language I hadn't used in two years. When I asked for clarification on which languages were allowed, I received an answer within one business day, but it was incorrect. I was told I could use any language. I am sure this was just confusion on the recruiter's part, but Hopper should really try to provide accurate information about the test when requesting the applicant take it.

I enjoyed the in person screening. I didn't make it passed the in person screening. I provided an adequate solution, but probably not at the speed and confidence expected. I would do away with whiteboard coding and let a developer type in a text editor (or on Hacker Rank).

Generally, I would just commit to either interviewing someone for the full interview loop all at once or not interview someone at all. I know screening is a widespread industry practice, but it reflects poorly on the company, as half-committed to an applicant's potential. Also, it might be nice to provide some suggestions for improvement to the candidate after each round.

To other applicants: The company sounds interesting. You are informed about the decision after each screening round quickly, but it generally seems like they only want people who are overqualified for the job. I would carefully consider whether you want to invest your time interviewing here or at another option when Hopper requests for you to participate in the screening.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hopper (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I took an online screening which I passed. The next step was an online google hangout interview. I only just started interviewing so I'm not sure if this is really normal or not, but for the second question I was given 20 minutes, but within the first 30 seconds to a minute, the interviewer kept telling me to hurry up and kept talking and talking. Normal? I'm still not sure, but I found it really annoying to be rushed within the first minute of a 20 minute question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hopper (Cambridge, MA) in December 2017.

Interview

I was given a small programming test on a website and after passing that, I was scheduled for an interview. The job posting listed multiple kinds of software engineering positions and I wasn't given a choice among them before the interview. Thus, I got an interviewer who was not from my preferred position and the first question was outside my experience. It was a major stumble for me that I didn't manage to recover from.
    The second question was much easier for me but I was still stumbling from the last one. It was also more difficult because I had to do it in a text editor lacking many of the features I'm used to and with no way to test my code so I just had to look at it and say "Yeah, this will work."

Interview Questions

• How would you redesign Google's web crawler?   1 Answer
    • Write a function that takes two sorted lists and returns their union list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hopper (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I did a coding challenge that is supposed to take about an hour and then was went onsite to Hopper office for one technical interview. I felt like the interview went pretty smoothly; I thought up and coded a solution in line with the spec and received positive feedback from the interviewer, but was surprised with a rejection the next day. I agree with some of these other reviews that interviewing here gives you the feeling that they already have someone in mind before they even interview you. If I invest 2+ hours doing a tech challenge and doing an onsite tech interview for you and solve the problems correctly and efficiently, it's inevitable to feel like your time was wasted and hiring wasn't the end goal anyway.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hopper (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

After finishing the online test, I was invited to their office in Boston for 1 on 1 interview. I solved the problem efficiently and correctly and received positive feedback from the engineer. But I was rejected on the next day for unknown reasons.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hopper (Cambridge, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Screening interview over Google Hangouts: ~30-45 min technical question
    In person interview loop: 4 ~60 minute sessions

Besides personal introductions and discussions, all questions were technical. Most involved whiteboard or live coding, but the coding itself was less important than discussing the questions themselves.

Interview Questions

• A few DSA questions mixed in with higher level concepts like web scraping and atomic database operations in a distributed system   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Hopper (Cambridge, MA) in April 2018.

Interview

Simple online test, followed with a hangout interview. The test was one hour and easy to do. The google hangout intervire was ok, no interaction during the process, basically watching you coding.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hopper.

Interview

I just participated in online tech session. Were given coding assessment in a website. The problem is not hard, its about nest node (a parent node has a list of children, each child node has a list of children node, etc). However, I think there is lack of clear explanation of the code structure, which is confusing, and I took 20 mins just to figure out how the code is structure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hopper (New York, NY).

Interview

Did a coding challenge follwed by one hour google hangouts interview. Onsite was 4 rounds each an hour long. One of the interviewers gave no feedback and stared silently and would nod along as I explained my thought process. I got the impression in that round that they wanted to find my failure point rather than assess how good of a teammate I would make.

Overall pretty unpleasant experience. I wouldn't recommend anyone interview here unless they wanted to take a free trip to Boston.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hopper in July 2018.

Interview

Started with a straight forward hackerrank challenge question that just about anybody could breeze by in 10 minutes - let alone the 30+ minutes that was given.

Next interview was a much harder code challenge with a developer, they scheduled it 3 weeks after the hackerrank challenge, at that point I recognized I was probably wasting my time but I decided run with it in case they surprised me and more experience is good to have on these challenges anyway.

They did not surprise me, the interviewer seemed so disinterested in the interview process it felt like he would rather watch paint dry. I definitely got the feeling from his groans and sighs he did not want to be there and he felt I was a waste of his time from the start.