Houzz Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Product Data Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houzz (Nashville, TN) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of three different interviews.

The first was a quick 20 minute screening where the interviewer asked about my background, basic info, where i went to college, and prior work experience. Additionally asking why I wanted to work at Houzz and how I found the job etc. It was very professional, the interviewer was polite, and was very casual.

The second interview was a skype video call with a hiring manager at the Palo Alto headquarters as well as completing an excel assignment. The interviewer was very polite, and the interview felt more conversational than being a series of questions that was scripted. I was asked about my expectations for the job, given more info about what I would be doing specifically, and further inquiries into my background. It was very positive, and I could easily tell that I would move forward.

The third interview was certainly the most difficult, however I felt very confident about it given that I knew what it would consist of going in. It involved a roleplay scenario where I communicated with a vendor regarding some products that had clerical and technical errors to the posting. It was a very simple and straightforward process that was followed up by a 1-on-1 with the Senior office manager. I was asked more about my background, given further details about the role, and answered some typical interview questions that segued from my 2nd skype video interview. After that, i was shown around the office where the space is very technologically updated, with new modern furnishing, a great breakroom, and a run down of what happens every week.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you found you were failing and how you improved the solution   Answer Question
    • How would you and your coworkers describe yourself in 3 words   Answer Question

Commissions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houzz (Irvine, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

Hiring Manager not experienced in conducted interviews. I have been interviewed by Senior Management that are highly experienced in the subject and their questions are directly related to compensation processes, controls and methodologies. This interview was a waste of my time.
    When I arrived to the personal interview I was notified that before leaving I was going to have an Excel test. This made me realize that the job was very low profile and if I had been informed of that by the Recruiter, I would have decided not to go to the interview. I am not interested in being a generalist, my experience is +10 years.
    The interview with the Recruiter (over the phone) was professional.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work experience
      Do you have any questions?   Answer Question

Junior Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Houzz (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Short in person interview with two staff accountants and the controller. Was rather rushed as they seemed busy. Asked general background into my work experience, as well as critical thinking and methodology questions. Interviewers were friendly despite the short time available. Almost no technical questions. Turn around from speaking on the phone to in person interview was much quicker then other companies I have interviewed at and was appreciated.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about solving a complex problem that you didn't know how to do?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houzz.

Interview

It was easy to get a phone interview. The interview was a technical interview. The questions went to an extremely fine level of detail about nuances of software behavior. The interviewer did not simply assess whether I knew the answer, or knew the answer but couldn't quote the exact syntax at that moment (developers look up syntax all the time and every developer knows this!).

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of this interview was that the interviewer, who spoke perfect English, had an extremely strong foreign accent. I could not understand a great deal of our conversation. Combined with the extremely technical nature of the conversation, and the already-difficult communication by telephone only, that was a huge disadvantage to me. I feel that because of this the interview was not a fair assessment of my skills. I mention this here because I have encountered it before, as many software developers have strong foreign accents.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Houzz (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

One phone screen, one on-site.

Parking for on-site interview is a major pain. There are 2-3 hour free public parking, which may be very difficult to find during the lunch time (since it's in Palo Alto downtown), and you have to leave in the middle of the interview, if it takes longer than 3 hours, to re-park your car to another place of a different color zone.

Their office sits on the 2nd floor above Walgreen. Almost everybody works in the same central area, except a few with offices on the sides. There was a birthday celebration when I arrived and the area was kind of noisy, which might be distracting if you care about a quieter work environment.

One of their interview questions was quite difficult, asking about internal implementations of Java's ExecutorService. I did not answer that question well, but I doubt how it could be used in their applications.

They cut my on-site short, and emailed me on the next business day saying that I was not a good match to their position.

My overall interview experience with Houzz was okay but not great. Later on I got offers from Apple, Google and Twitter, so it guess it was a good thing that I didn't get their offer.

Interview Questions

Houzz Response

Apr 5, 2015 – Technical Recruiter

Regarding parking when interviewing at Houzz: If your interview may last more than 3 hours you can arrive early, park in the parking garage, and Houzz will now provide an all-day parking pass that... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houzz.

Interview

I got a phone screen from houzz. They asked me two questions. How would you find if an element with A[i] = i exists in a sorted integer array with no duplicates. I solved it right away. Second, question was how would you detect a cycle in a DAG.

Interview Questions

• how would you detect a cycle in a DAG.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Houzz (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview lasted for two and half hours. It was supposed to last 4 to 5 hours, but after the 3rd round interview, the recruiter told me to go back and said that their engineers have to attend a meeting so the interview has to stop. And she told me to wait till next week to get the feedback. After 5 days, I got a call telling me that I didn't get the internship.

Interview Questions

• How to serialize a binary tree and deserialize from the data you get?   Answer Question
    • How to get the repeating decimal pattern of a division? (e.g 1/3, 1/6)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Houzz (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Two rounds of phone screen, then invited to an onsite interview. Phone interview problems are pretty easy and covers some cs fundamentals. For the onsite interview, you will be asked to run your solutions in one round. Others cover things like designing a website/data structure, finding subsequence. The people there were really nice.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Houzz in April 2017.

Interview

Started with recruiter reaching out to me. Then setup the first phone screen where I answered both Coding questions correctly on coderpad. I made sure the code gave correct outputs for various inputs and edge cases. Interviewer was impressed but then I received email from recruiter to take a second phone screen for some reason. I didn't mind so I said I'm fine taking a second phone screen. The second phone screen interviewer first called 10 minutes late. He seemed unprepared and asked me a coding question. I suggested a bunch of solutions and he didn't seem to give feedback so I went with the most optimal solution. I was talking all the time while coding but I believe he was doing something else. In the end, he just said we are out of time and then he just blurted that I didn't provide an optimal solution and then we ended the call. I noticed he ended the interview 5 minutes early. Recruiter reached out after a week and said won't be moving forward. Such a waste of time even after you do answer their questions correctly. Avoid interviewing here if you don't want to waste your time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houzz (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I applied online, and recruiter contacted me. I passed the initial two phone screens, and was offered onsite at their Palo Alto downtown office. It was great to see the internal decoration of houzz. Interviews are regular coding questions, but they also require full stack. I may not have mastered full stack techniques.

Interview Questions

• normal questions + knowledge of full stack   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houzz (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with an engineer. The engineer had trouble speaking english, and was very defensive when I asked them to speak more clearly. Asked database specific questions, some of which I did not know the answer to. When I did not know the answer, the engineer told me in a very condescending tone that "I lack understanding". Fast forward to the coding interview - midway through my solution, the engineer decided I could not do it on my own, and proceeded to complete the code for me. Probably the most unprofessional and worst coding interview I've ever experienced. Culture is SO important in a company, and Houzz showed me that they hire engineers that do not respect this.a

Interview Questions

• Sum of 2D matrix from i,j to m,n   1 Answer