Houzz Reviews | Glassdoor

Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No one in upper management really knows what they are doing and they are not qualified to manage this part of Houzz" (in 18 reviews)

• "They should have been upfront in that this is strictly a call center environment" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Culture + Tech + Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm asked all the time how I like working at Houzz and my response is the same as it was two years ago when hired: I love the people. It's so nice to be surrounded with super smart, competent co-workers that are driven and passionate about their work AND do it without ego. Get so much more done without worrying about drama or politics, but instead everyone just wants to get things done and done right. I appreciate the way management listens to employee feedback, but also makes smart and strategic decisions about what will have the most impact to the employees. It's a nice balance. Great perks, gorgeous offices, management that remembers everyone's names and cares about our lives.

Cons

More of a challenge then a con, but we need to put more large scale processes in place that are sustainable for our rapid growth. Things that worked when company was small start up, might not be best way to do it as we get larger.

Mar 30, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks for taking a moment to post a review! We’ve worked very hard over the years to build and maintain a culture we can be proud of, and it is always great to see such a positive response to it... More

2. "Great place & great people!"

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing place to work with even more amazing people. I have been with Houzz for 3 years and could not have asked for a better place to start my career. Personally, I have had a lot of great opportunities and growth over the past years. I work closely with upper management and I am confident to say they work hard every day to make Houzz a successful business and a place people are happy to work at.

Cons

A higher salary in Southern CA would certainly be nice.

"Client Success Manager"

I worked at Houzz full-time

Pros

Exceptional people (they will continue to leave if things don’t change), great benefits and office perks (stocked kitchen, catered meals Monday and Friday etc), great hours/work life balance, and great mid level management (they will also leave if they're not heard).

I experienced incredible personal and professional growth here while simultaneously forging lifelong friendships with some truly amazing, motivated and intelligent people-- for that I am forever grateful.

They hire straight out of college and I appreciate this because it gives driven young people otherwise lacking years of work experience an opportunity to dive into the workforce and *hopefully* grow within.

Cons

Please note: this review is specific to the Client Success Management channel.

I want to start by saying it saddens me to write this review. I wanted to be Houzz's number one fan through all the tough times--we were a start up, we were bound to experience hiccups and speed bumps along the way but it was exciting and we believed in the journey so we all put our heads down and pushed through it together. Towards the last year of my employment, I realized I didn't believe in what we were doing or how we were doing it. Possibly worse, I found that our feedback as reps and even the feedback of our direct managers was not being heard and addressed effectively (or with any sense of urgency) which made it very difficult for us to effectively advocate for the best interests of our clients. My moral compass told me to run in the other direction because it seemed there was a growing negative trend: many of the changes I had a hard time swallowing were to the exclusive benefit of Houzz and had a direct negative impact on reps and pros (our clients). I'm going to try to outline the issues as concisely as possible. I want to be clear, I still believe this is an incredible company that has a ton of opportunity but I was never going to have a loud enough voice from within, so I hope this review will be used to better the CSM channel.

New Sales: I'll keep this brief. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel with leads and it shows in our sales. Furthermore, we've built a system that consistently rewards AEs for getting the signature and credit card and CSMs are left to clean up the mess. Major issues with new sales include: pro is truly not a fit for what we offer, they are sold into a failing category or an area that consistently under-delivers, they don't realize the importance of their involvement for their own success with it, or more broadly, the expectations were not effectively set from the start.

Product: Roughly 2 years ago we completely changed the product by adding a lead gen element in. This change caused irreparable damage, not because the concept or intention was bad, but because we refused to listen to what pros had to say about the low quality/low budget and fake leads they were receiving as a result. If time is money, our pros were suddenly wasting substantial time following up with bad leads and this loss of time and increased frustration meant a loss in credibility for Houzz. This shift towards lead gen also created confusion about how to sell the product (AE side) and how to effectively manage clients through their lifecycle (CSM side)...why work on building a compelling profile when you get the same leads either way? The "data" was telling us things were going well, so the direct feedback of pros and reps was ignored for months and now we're seeing the rising volume of cancellations as a result.

Process: Roughly a year ago, we were told that we were going to start exercising auto-renewal. This wouldn't be a problem, had we been transparent about the process change and sent one email out to all our clients telling them this was going to be the new way we manage renewals. Instead, we were asked to "not poke the bear" and avoid triggering conversations about renewal because we wanted to see if anyone would really even notice. There was a distinct assumption made with this decision that pros were truly happy with the program, which given the product changes and various challenges with new sales/expectations outlined above, was not the case. Now people were upset with the leads and even more upset that they have been auto-renewed without notice and CSMs were left to handle it. I and many of my coworkers experienced anxiety (literal panic attacks in some cases) about coming into work because it was so deflating to face these negative conversations day in and day out without any sign of improvement on the forefront.

Lack of Professional Growth: My professional growth at Houzz was in large part due to the lack of training and structure as I entered into the role. It was trial by fire and I failed often and learned to figure it out on my own as a result. My interests and skills were not nurtured or grown in a real way, despite the mutual efforts of myself and my direct managers. Unfortunately, since it’s not really encouraged to seek out opportunities in other departments, once you hit a dead-end in CSM, the only viable option is to leave.

Leadership: There are some exceptional leaders at Houzz, but unfortunately the best ones don't really have any autonomy. We have a few of what we call "right time, right place" managers who moved up the ladder rather quickly, despite their lack of experience and exemplification of any leadership skills. Some leaders rose to the occasion when given the opportunity to advance, others most certainly did not and there was nothing CSMs could do about it since we don't have an opportunity to review our leaders. It's offensive to come into sales meetings (which are largely AE focused) and be told how great things are when our job is largely comprised of cancellations and our paychecks are diminishing as a result. We do not need to be reminded of our great benefits; we need to be addressed like adults and have an honest conversation about the state of the business, victories as well as pain points and the clearly defined actions being taken to make the job and product better. As another reviewer mentioned--benefits don't pay the bills and frankly, Houzz cannot rely on their great benefits and perks to keep people around because it's industry standard in the tech boom to offer perks that keep great talent around. I would argue that reps 1) want to feel the work they do is impactful 2) want to be heard 3) want to feel valued in their role and 4) want to be compensated fairly for controllable job responsibilities. I'd bet if you ran anonymous surveys with the CSM channel, you'd see that is far from the way your reps feel today.

Advice to Management

Make it your mission to seek out feedback consistently and ACT on it. Run constant employee surveys on job satisfaction, satisfaction with management, compensation, professional growth, value of meetings etc. CSMs are the only team you have on the front lines for Pro+ and until you are consistently gathering more direct feedback from pros, you need to listen up and trust that CSMs are not simply whining and exaggerating when reporting on trends/feedback from their day to day. On the pro side, you should be consistently requesting feedback through automated surveys on every feature, update, and more broadly on their overall satisfaction with the program. Allow pros to offer solutions as well as feedback--you might be surprised at what great ideas they have to offer. Don't let it be a surprise when numbers drop because cancellations skyrocketed as a result of said product and process changes above...listen to your people and listen to your client when they are pleading for change.

Reward loyalty--our most legacy pros and reps have been hit the hardest by business decisions Houzz made with the product/process the last couple years. I have honestly wondered at times if it was part of a big conspiracy to get rid of the longest standing pros and reps because life would be easier without all the people who remembered "what was" before all the changes. If you value them, find ways to remind them so you can continue to earn their loyalty....and don’t forget that money talks.

Be transparent, always explain the why--Apply this to pros and employees. I promise we can all handle the truth if you would give us a chance to be treated like adults. At least if you're honest with your employees and your clients, they can make their own educated decisions about whether they see enough value to stay.

Give AE's and CSMs more opportunities to collaborate, meet up for casual happy hours or shadow calls. I refuse to believe AEs are out to get CSMs but they are severely under educated on the reality of Pro+ today and I would hope that working more closely would bridge that gap (and honestly, the underlying hostility) between the two departments. Create comp plans for AEs that promote accountability for sales made.

Nurture your employee’s interests and skills--I promise you they will be more engaged, productive, and valuable for you in the long run if you find a way to take a real interest in what drives them and help open doors for them where possible.

Empower mid level management to make autonomous decisions for their teams and their clients. At this point, they have no true autonomy and have become middlemen communicating from reps to upper management and back. That tells us you don't trust their ability to make sound decisions which is a real shame given the talent you have.

Everyone in the company should be participating in 360 performance reviews.

Oct 12, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough account of your recommendations. As I’ve mentioned in other reviews here - we are listening. We’ve just received the results of our... More

"A Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

The people who work at Houzz are an A+! They are smart, driven, supportive, and hard-working. I thoroughly enjoy coming to work every day. I am constantly being challenged to be better then I was the day before. The harder you work the more money you make. The new comp plan is great.

Cons

It's work. Nothing in life comes easy. You have to put in the time and effort to make good money.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting your team. We all love the contests and positive reinforcement. The enthusiasm is contagious.

"Growing and getting better!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My favorite part of Houzz is that they are very open to changing for the better. Since I've been here, they have increased time off and health benefits. They have also invested a lot more into the development of new reps and company moral. Our compensation plan has been adjusted to help us make more money when we meet an exceed our goals as well. Since I've started I've seen my income skyrocket. I came in ready to show my worth and I was rewarded with a promotion and huge compensation!

Cons

The only con I will say is that they haven't reached their full potential. It is a new company and they have room for improving their systems, but they are making huge strides! I can't wait to see the company bloom and become even more structured and efficient.

Advice to Management

Stay adaptable and keep making employees feel heard! Continue to reward hard work and effort.

"Client Success Manager"

Former Employee - Client Success Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, fully-stocked kitchen, efficient operations team, awesome benefits, good direct managers.

Cons

I have gone back and forth about writing this review for quite some time. However, since we are now actively hiring for the role, I feel compelled to let the potential candidates know what type of a company and role they’re getting themselves into.

As you’re reading throughout the rest of the reviews, I think you’ll be able to find some common threads across the negative reviews, as well as the positive ones. Management has offered gift cards on multiple occasions to write positive reviews for the company….keep that in mind.

First, I must discuss management at Houzz. As I had mentioned in the pros above, the CSM channel has some strong managers directly leading the teams that truly care about the success and well-being of their reps. Unfortunately, upper management is the opposite. She could care less about the extremely high turnover in our position, how low the channel’s morale is, and how the ineffective product reps are defending everyday isn’t working. She completely disregards the feedback that we have given to try and improve the role. Her lack of responsiveness in regards to all things - including our commissions/paychecks is extremely disturbing. Often times we won’t find out what we were being paid until the day before our paycheck comes...and by often...every month. If they don’t listen or respect outcries from our direct managers, how do you expect them to listen and respect us as reps?

We recently brought on a new member to the leadership team. He doesn’t acknowledge problems within our department and refers to reps as lazy and spoiled.
    Now back to the high turnover in this position. Let me tell you a few reasons why all of the top reps are continuing to quit and look for other jobs. About a year ago, they switched the renewal process in our role to an auto-renewal model. Although pros had been having renewal calls for years, we were instructed to not inform them of their upcoming renewal and instead auto-renew their program for an entire year without warning. Although being auto-renewed for a full new term, the cancellation option we give them is paying for another 120 days before being removed. As you can imagine, this has turned our job into a customer service role, where we are no longer servicing accounts, but instead are being yelled at daily by pros demanding to rightfully cancel their programs. Due to the high turnover, our account load has tripled, which gives us even less time to effectively service our accounts. The department that is actively selling the accounts is so desperate to make sales at this point (because all of the leads left are so overworked and awful) that they have resorted to dishonest sales practices in order to hit their goals for the month. They are selling to people that aren’t a fit for the program and then wiping their hands clean once the pro requests to cancel two months in. The pro has already given their billing information, so once they’ve signed on the dotted line, it doesn’t matter to the initial sales rep. Guess whose paycheck it then affects? The CSM that was unfortunately assigned that account. This isn’t few and far between. This happens everyday. We are the only department that is held accountable for anything within this company, including blatant snake oil sales and beta tests where the product ultimately ends up failing.

Overall, the program that we’re defending everyday is a completely confused product. It’s not being managed the way it’s being sold, and not performing the way that it’s being sold. The disconnect is evident and continues to go unaddressed. The unethical business practices do not help. They coach us not to discuss renewals with the pros and the auto-renewal is hidden and buried within the fine print of the agreement. Run if you have any moral compass.

If you come into the office for an interview and are directed away from certain areas of the pods, it’s because there are so many empty desks and the poor recruiters don’t have a good excuse as to why so many people have left.

Advice to Management

1. LISTEN! Stop trying to frame everything positively, accept the reality of what’s happening. The extreme unhappiness of accounts is not an illusion, it’s real, and it’s happening. When we say that we’re responding reactively everyday, we mean it. When we give feedback, actually take the time to listen to our concerns and maybe the people you have left in this role won’t be gone by the end of the year. Happy that I got out. Stop having sales meetings to remind us how good we have it with our benefits, slide in the office, snacks, etc… None of these things matter if I can’t pay my bills. Acknowledge and address the issues with us like adults.

2. It continues to amaze me that as a company with 1000+ employees, we still don’t do performance reviews or 360 reviews. It’s as if Houzz takes an “ignorance is bliss” approach to management.

3. Fix the Pro+ product. It’s not working.

Oct 1, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

I’m not even sure where to start with your review. I’m sorry that you’ve had such a negative experience. One thing I can say for sure is that we are listening. There is always room for improvement... More

"Recruiter"

I have been working at Houzz part-time

Pros

I enjoyed, it was great.

Cons

nothing stood out as bad.

8. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, great co-workers. I am pretty happy for the last 1 year and half in Houzz.

Cons

Not IPO yet. Provided breakfast but there is room to improve.

"Great Startup Co"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Houzz offers an amazing culture. The people that you work along side of are what really make Houzz a great work environment.

Cons

Expanded sales team to quickly

"Marketplace Customer Support"

Current Employee - Customer Support Level II in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Support Level II in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered breakfasts on Monday, lunches on Friday. Fully stocked kitchen. Company events. Creative work environment. Hard work is rewarded, lots of growth opportunities. It is said that “we are a family” and truly feels like so.

Cons

The business is still relatively new (2009), and Marketplace didn’t start until 2014 so there are little quirks about the company that they are always working on improving. While there is a reason behind it change can often cause frustration for employees, and feel that this frustration can be the biggest con. Again though, it is all warranted and valid reasons to try to improve the business.

Advice to Management

I always believe transparency is extremely important. I believe that some managers are very good at this, and others can improve. Additionally, I feel that employees who were denied role changes be provided a higher level of feedback as to why they were not chosen, that way they can work towards improving themselves.