Houzz Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The fully-stocked kitchen and coffee bar have everything you could ever want (in 39 reviews)

• The work-life balance offered by Houzz exceeds most companies (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • It is not a call center, you are building relationships with your clients and talking to them 3 (in 13 reviews)

• No cons to mention at this time (in 11 reviews)

"Great engineering org that not too many people know about"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

- Relatively flat engineering org. Still regular meetings with cofounders for everyone. Generally candid and open, honest convos.
    - Collaborative, organic environment. Easy to help on many challenging projects from deep learning to scaling infrastructure.
    - Product and design driven engineering. Coworkers care a lot about building good products, which is very refreshing.
    - High density of technical and problem-solving talent. You can trust things to either work smoothly, or fast turnaround for fixes.
    - Compelling, robust business model and overall company vision. Often run into users that love the company.
    - Mature and responsible culture. Many parents, no brogrammers. Healthy, sustainable work-life balance.
    - Progressive social values. People take maternity and paternity leave. Business decisions are made in alignment to social values, which I personally really respect.

Cons

- Nonintuitive challenges in working with smart, product-driven people within a flat org. People are exceedingly helpful and get things done efficiently, but you do need to explain why what you need is important first. Great when you have good ideas. Humbling when you have bad ideas.
    - Shy about publicity and generally reserved about what we're working on. Most my Stanford friends are even surprised that they have a $4B startup in their backyard.
    - Lots of strong women leadership in the company including our CEO, but only a handful represented in technical org.

Advice to Management

I think we can be bolder. Lots of companies want to copy us but having stronger visibility will attract more talented people so we can innovate faster. Especially would like to have more technical women leadership, and I think we should make proactive efforts to recruit them.

"Houzz about a great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the best job I have ever had. Not only is the culture amazing but the management is very helpful and creative. I feel appreciated and valued everyday and can't imagine working for a better company.

Cons

I wish there was a houzz in every state so all of my out of state friends could work here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The creative activities and competitions are amazing. I appreciate everything you guys do for us.

"From an actual sales rep."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Most important.... TONS OF ROOM TO GROW!
    2. STRONG family environment
    3. Management does actually care about you
    4. Hours you cannot beat
    5. Fun trips and sales incentives
    6. Upper management goes out of their way to explain things
    7. Kitchen is always stocked!
    8. Pay is right with what we do!

Its easy to find complaints about any company on here. I've been lucky enough to travel with Houzz and have done some really cool stuff because of this company! You get to meet the CEO often and she is someone you can really stand with! I cannot express how much opportunity there is to move up or even around. The Houzz product is great and really is changing the industry (I truly believe in it)! You'll love the atmosphere! Management takes time to hear you out and they all have done what you've done. So, they understand when you really are struggling ......*they promote within!!!

Cons

- Its a start up so we have growing pains

Honestly there is not a lot of issues. That's from someone who has almost been with the company almost a year (the office has only been open a year and a month). Yes you will have bad days ... sure. But that being said its SALES! If you've been in sales before this is the norm.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and keep up the solid work. Thank you for being honest with us about issues and addressing them so quickly when they show up!

"Best Work Environment"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Houzz for almost a year and it's been the best work environment I've ever been apart of. The incentives for sales people are amazing and the leadership team is always encouraging.
    -The work life balance is so great
    -The opportunity for growth is amazing, I've already been promoted
    -The kitchen is fully stocked so I don't ever have to spend money on breakfast/lunch
    -My Manager is extremely supportive of the path I want to grow towards here at Houzz. She helped me get this first promotion and works hard with me to help me get to where I want to be.
    -The people that work at Houzz are just great. I've met some of the best friends I've ever had here.
    -Our office has a beautiful view
    -PTO is extremely generous and the health benefits are amazing. They even let my partner be on my insurance (we aren't married).

Cons

No cons. We are currently in a temporary office while they build out our permanent office, so I'm just excited to get situated in the new office.

Advice to Management

Honestly, keep doing what you are doing. The environment all the managers have created in this office is extremely positive and encouraging.

"Passionate leaders who care a lot about the product and eat dinner with their employees"

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

Relatable Leaders: Our President, Alon, works really hard to keep the org structure relatively flat. He regularly comes to the office cafeteria alone, grabs food and sits with regular employees to hear their feedback. He cares so deeply about the product that you see him regularly testing the website, and often knows more about the features than the teams that own those features. He works hard to not be an “out-of-touch” leader, and I really admire that.

Women Leadership: While other tech companies try really hard to recruit women, Houzz is inherently a gender-equal company. Half of our leaders (including Adi, our CEO/Founder and Tom, Head of Design) are women. This sets the tone for the rest of the company -- women’s opinions are well respected and listened to from top-to-bottom.

Broad Responsibilities: Houzz is a multi-billion dollar business with a dev team well under <200 people; this means enormous responsibility for each individual. There’s more than enough work to go around and individuals own huge domains of responsibility with a large degree of autonomy to shape the roadmap.

Cons

Houzz values keeping it feeling like a startup, which has meant less emphasis on structured feedback and leveling. This could be challenging as the company continues to grow and will inevitably have to deal with staying competitive and retaining top talent. Also, the leaders care a lot about confidentiality so we prefer to build tools in-house, which means more work than if we had chosen to employ 3rd party services.

Advice to Management

The company is growing fast and I really appreciate everything management does to keep the company feeling small. We may want to consider new processes and 3rd party services if we want to scale faster.

"I Have Never Been Happier!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Amazing Office
    -Great people
    -Strong company culture
    -Employees are valued
    -Employees are provided all of the resources needed to be successful at their job

Cons

-Definitely not an easy job, but worth the hard work!

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

There has never been a day when I have not wanted to go to work since starting with Houzz. The office culture is positive and the people you meet are always kind. The work is challenging in a great way. It is very rewarding to be able to push yourself to succeed in a role that has so much to offer if you dig in and do your best every day. I have never felt more encouraged and rewarded for performing well on a consistent basis.

The greatest quality about working for Houzz is their adaptability. They are constantly working to improve day to day procedures to make things more efficient. Most importantly, every time a suggestion is made it is strongly considered. Where else can you walk in to an Upper Management office, say you have an idea, and within weeks it is put in to action? From the first day working at Houzz, management has always made it clear that they are there to help, and they've always met that goal.

Cons

I do not have any complaints.

"Do not sacrifice your personal ethics to work here."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays, free breakfast on Mondays, random incentives (PTO, gift cards), stocked kitchen, beautiful offices. Great work/life balance.

Cons

I took the position at Houzz with the expectation that the product we're selling (Pro Plus) would genuinely help people and their businesses. Unfortunately, there are many things lacking or deficient from a product standpoint, and the company is ill-equipped to address them. There is no ticketing system to report issues. When you report an issue to a manager, you will be sternly told "we're working on it." Furthermore, I wholly disagree with the abusive sales tactics endorsed by this company. We are instructed to call the customer dozens of times to close a sale, and never take "no" for an answer. Further, the company has the ethic that "Pro Plus works for everyone" and therefore, should be sold to everyone. It should not. It does not. I have personally observed several instances in my tenure, where financial losses due to the failed investment in the program led to the company closing their doors. It is heartbreaking. Thirdly, we are encouraged to do anything, including sacrificing our personal integrity, to win a sale ("flash sale--ends today!" pad the numbers, etc.).
    Finally, leaders here are not leaders. They are managers. They do not inspire you to be a good human and learn lifelong skills; they will assign tasks, and tell you "job well done."

Also, they do not provide a living wage. My parents are co-supporting me right now. $1000 a paycheck is not survivable in Southern California.

Advice to Management

Please heed my suggestions above. I took the time to comment because I care. This company could be really great, but it's walking down a backwards path. You will lose your talent if you can't put the human experience before sales. We all want to be part of something bigger--Houzz remains "just a job." Many billion dollar companies do these things very well (Amazon, Apple)--why can't Houzz?

"Amazing company and growth opportunity"

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

By far the people: smart and nice. Super hard working. Everyone helps each other out and it really feels like you are on a shared mission. I've been able to do more in my role than I thought possible, which is one of the benefits of working at a fast-growing startup. The founders really care about the company and their employees.

Cons

This is a very flat organization, which might not be for everyone (i.e. if you're driven by titles). There is also the expectation that you work from the office, not from home, but this expectation is very clear from the beginning.

Advice to Management

Continue rewarding team members for great work

"New Job Feels Like Home"

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Houzz for a little over 6 months and everyone I've met has been really welcoming and helpful. I was given the guidance I needed to get up to speed, the opportunities to take ownership over important projects and been celebrated for my accomplishments by my team and management.

Cons

Working at a fast growing startup means things move quickly, which I like, but it might not be the environment for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward folks for a job well done and provide transparency about where the business is headed.