Houzz Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko

Pros
Cons
  • It is not a call center, you are building relationships with your clients and talking to them 3 (in 12 reviews)

• No cons, this is a great company (in 9 reviews)

"Houzz has a great work-life balance! I never have to worry about taking work home with me."

Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth. Good benefits. PTO and sick days are great. The work-life balance offered by Houzz exceeds most companies. Fun place to work and everyone is super helpful!! Houzz also has a fully stocked fridge with snack foods and drinks everyday which is super nice!

Cons

Very fast pace which can be overwhelming at times. The training didn't quite prepare me for the workload because there isn't much hands on training, but it's easy to get the hang of once you start doing it!

Advice to Management

Management takes the time to listen to any problems brought to their attention. Thank you for caring about your employees!

"The Most Honest Houzz Review You Will Ever Read"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First let me say this, I was not asked to write this review by anyone at Houzz. I chose to write this on my own in response to some of the other reviews posted recently...

I have been working for Houzz in an Inside Sales role for 3+ years and have nothing but great things to say. The work environment is extremely positive and supportive. People at every level, from the Senior Managers down to the person sitting next to you in your same role, really want to see you perform at a high level. There is friendly competition in the office, as you would expect in a sales role, which is both encouraging and motivating. You are rewarded well for your hard work and compensation is based on your personal performance. As a career salesperson, I really appreciate the opportunity to be compensated well for the effort I put towards my performance. I love making my own paycheck and earning bonuses for being good at my job.

With all the great things Houzz has to offer, it does come with some expectations. You are expected to both work hard and have a great attitude. Work ethic, attitude, your effort on a daily basis and ability to be coachable will separate you as a top performer. The Account Executive role is an Inside Sales role, which Houzz is very transparent about. You will be on the phone all day…high call volume, lots of time talking to professionals. Nothing is sold face to face, and you have to be ok with that, again, it is an Inside Sales position. Nothing is handed to you in this role, it is not easy, you have to be committed to the sales process and act on feedback from your Managers.

Houzz provides you with everything you need to be successful: Great training, the sales process is outlined for you, leads are provided to you, feedback/support from managers and more experienced sales reps to help you sell more, commission and bonuses based on your sales performance. The only thing they cannot control is your attitude and effort. It is cliche but you have to give 110% effort every day and have a great attitude. Top performers are always at their desk, on the phone, either closing new business or moving opportunities forward for future sales opportunities. People who are not performing well have low activity, are on their personal phones all day, walking around the office, etc. (you get the idea..they are not working hard). As I mentioned earlier, Houzz will provide you with everything you need to be successful, you just have to put in the effort to take advantage of the opportunities you are given here.

Career growth opportunities are similar to other sales roles I have had in the past: Top performers move up to management roles. Houzz does not promote on tenure or even past success prior to Houzz, it is 100% based on your personal performance and attitude while working at Houzz. To this end, managers are sometimes younger and lack previous management experience from other companies, but are expected to jump in with a hands-on approach. They have all excelled in the roles they are managing and are tasked with instilling that success onto their team members.

If you are a highly motivated sales person with a desire to be paid well for your hard work, have a great work ethic and a great attitude, Houzz is a great place to grow your sales career.

Cons

I do not have any cons or things that I dislike about my job or 3+ year career at Houzz. However, I can provide some realities of this role which other people seem to complain about in other reviews:

As you may read in other reviews from past employees, this job is not for everyone. It is an inside sales role and not everyone is ok with being on the phone everyday. Houzz does have a call center feel, but again, this is an inside sales role so everything is done over the phone. It is a little repetitive at times, but so is every other sales role I have had in the past, both inside and outside sales.

There are definitely highs and lows in this role. When you are selling well, you feel great and cant wait to get back on the phone to make the next sale. The money is flowing in and you love your job. When you are not selling well, this role can be tough. People around you are selling and you start to question your ability to close new business. This feeling is not specific to Houzz. Any sales job has highs and lows, you have to be strong mentally and self motivated to overcome the slow times. However, as soon as you close your next sale, you are back on top and feeling great about your job again. Not everyone can handle the emotional roller coaster of a performance based sales role. Again, this happens in every type of sales role, inside or outside sales.

Sales Managers in this role are here to help. If you are performing well, they are around to support you and help you when needed to close new business. If you are not performing well, they will be more involved in your day to day activity to help you figure out where you are missing in the sales process. This is not meant to “micromanage” you, but to help you get back to performing at a high level. This is a performance based job, if you are not performing, managers want to help you figure out why. And yes, as mentioned in other reviews, if you are constantly away from your desk or not making enough calls to be productive, managers are going to encourage you to be more productive with your day.

Compensation is purely based on performance. The base salary will not blow your mind, this is a high commission based role. Not everyone is ok with the fact that you are paid based on your personal performance, but Houzz makes compensation expectations very clear during the hiring process. Nothing is over promised or inflated. As a career sales person, I appreciate having an uncapped comp plan. In almost 4 years selling at Houzz, I have increased my annual compensation every year.

In Summary, all of my “cons” are just realistic expectations of a sales position. You have to work hard at Houzz, as you would in any other sales position with a different company. I think some people see all the fun Houzz videos online, hear about the free food and fun office activities, and think that this is an easy job, where you just hang out all day and expect to be paid well for it. That is not that case. This is a performance based sales role, and while not everyone wants a true sales career, if you can put in the effort and have a great attitude everyday, Houzz will provide you with everything else to be successful and make good money.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote a positive and supportive work environment where your employees are compensated well for their efforts and hard work.

"An Actual Honest & Unbiased Review"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you haven't noticed already, Houzz offers a lot of great perks to their employees. Free food, social hours, incentive trips, and so much more. It's a great company to work for but you should note that these perks don't come without hard work.

Many of the disgruntled employees are fresh out of college and shocked when they find out the job is more than free food and taking selfies down a slide. At the end of the day, this is a sales job. You are going to be turned down, you are going to get frustrated, and you are going to have bad days. That's life. But, as with any sales role, you are also going to have great days, weeks, and even months.

If you are a hard worker then this company is great. Top performers receive a ton of great perks. They have incredible incentive trips and contests all year long which is great if you get to go.

Cons

The most frustrating part about Houzz comes down to the constantly changing commission plans. It can be extremely frustrating when every month your pay structure changes.

The other reviews are also pretty spot on with management. While I will note that they do have some pretty great leaders in the office, a majority of the leaders lack experience and professionalism. It would be extremely helpful for management to go through some form of quarterly training and improve their leadership and decision-making skills.

Advice to Management

Try to communicate more to your team and listen to their concerns.

Just because someone is successful in sales, it does NOT mean they will be a great leader.

"Incredible Work Environment and Team"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I never expected to be working as a customer service agent for a company like Houzz, but I'm glad that I am. The management and leadership really value employees and I feel like there is a lot of potential for growth in my personal career path and as a company.

Cons

It's hard work. You are ON for 8 solid hours a day, sometimes more. But I'd rather be working hard and making good numbers, showing my worth, than just lolly-gagging.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job hiring for chemistry between team-members, keep working towards a balance in the work volume so employees don't get burned out. That's really my only complaint is that the work load can be crushing sometimes.

"Customer Service Coordinator"

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I worked at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Pay is decent for a just out of college position.
    - Everyone is friendly and helpful, especially when you're just starting.
    - Free breakfast on Mondays, free lunch on Fridays, and workout Wednesdays are nice little milestones for the week.
    - Kitchen is fully stocked.
    - Technology used is up to date and reliable, which I find is always a plus.

Cons

- The biggest con I encountered while working at Houzz was a clear lack of transparency. While I was being recruited, the recruiters and interviewers left out key information about the position and company and even told me things that I learned to be untrue very quickly after starting. For example, in this position, I was told that the job was not a call center job, calls were outbound only, work life balance was incredible, you could volunteer (they emphasized the word volunteer) to work on weekends and holidays as this is a customer service operation that doesn't stop. Once I started, it was finally revealed that you don't have much control over what shift you are assigned, you are assigned weekends and holidays and have to beg to have them covered or reassigned if you have something come up or want to take a vacation, and, of course, the office is 100% a call center where you are expected to be ready to take calls for 8 straight hours a day. This would all be a nonissue and a matter of opinion if it were not for the clear opposite things I was told during my long interview process. They put such an emphasis on company culture and how much they love their jobs, but it worries me that would be so dishonest from the get go to get people to accept offers and leads me to wonder what life down the road would be like if I wanted to stick it out longer.
    - There is a lot of micromanagement in the Customer Service position - if you don't work well knowing that management tracks your number of calls, number of issues solved, and other data, this will give you anxiety.
    - Training does not prepare you for what you will handle in the day to day work of the role, but I think that's something most people are able to feel comfortable with quickly.

Advice to Management

Just be real to the people you want to hire and to your employees. Houzz does have a great vibe and the people are friendly and nice, people will want to work there regardless of some of the less appealing points. If you can be transparent from the beginning and not wait until 2 weeks into training to give employees the details of their work life, I think you will find more retention and less turnover.

7. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

hub of great talents who are committed to the company's growth.

Cons

lack of formal structure.. which is common amongst star-ups

"Long review - TLDR: C- Employment Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Catered breakfast on Mondays, lunch on Fridays. Decently stocked kitchen of "healthy" options (diet coke is not healthy... fyi). Easy to make friends if you are in your 20s.

Cons

Terrible pay for a tech company that is supposedly doing very well. Very hard to be a single (non-married) employee trying to live on their own (not at home) with the compensation provided. Will leave separate review for benefits. Sales positions are treated like the sun, moon and stars while departments that actually keep the company moving and functioning are treated like workhorses with ever changing goals and focuses. Direction is unclear and changes often. The boots on the ground are often lost on why projects that have been pushed hard for months are suddenly abandoned or changed without acknowledgement. Important decisions that impact every day work for everyone else are bottle-necked at the very top and things don't get done for months and months at a time. Managers are rarely equipped to actually manage. Top sales performers are promoted to manage teams that they have zero experience. Information, skills and tasks are silo'd. Maybe one or two people only know vital, crucial pieces of the business and if they were to leave, I am fairly certain it would be a disaster. The policy for many things seems to be "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". (see more in advice to management)

Advice to Management

Educate people, value SMART and hardworking people, let competent people contribute substantially.
    "It's not their job to know" is a terrible response to a suggestion to cross train positions to do their own jobs better.

"Phoenix Account Executive - Best job I've ever had!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an Account Executive at Houzz, you are apart of team that motivates and empowers it's members. Everyday I am strengthened and reinforced by such a positive environment. The thorough initial and post training at Houzz sets you up for success in every aspect of your job. Every company should model their process this way!

Cons

The interviewing process is a little unconventional, but it proves itself necessary in aligning the best fits for the role. Houzz only wants to bring on reps who they truly feel will succeed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Overall pretty great"

Current Employee - Product Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Product Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They've got a lot of perks for the employees and solid rewards for hitting goals
    Lunch is catered every friday and the kitchen is stocked full of healthy food
    The office is mostly women which feels very comfortable for female employees, but I'd imagine it can be kind of isolating for the men
    My team was supportive of growth and manager was easy to talk to about issues

Cons

It was hard to advance within the company at the irvine office if you aren't interested in working in sales
    Since its still a relatively new company, processes and procedures are always changing so it can be difficult to adapt to sometimes

Advice to Management

Try to be as transparent as possible
    Hire more males
    Encourage employee growth

"A Genuinely Honest Review of Houzz"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Houzz definitely has some upsides to it. The atmosphere and the people around you are what make working at Houzz somewhat enjoyable. The office is filled with exceptionally smart, young, and talented employees. The fully stocked kitchen as well as catered breakfast Monday’s and lunch Friday’s are always nice. It is a great first job right after college, but only for a few months.

Cons

It looks fantastic from the outside, but just wait until you get it in. Employees are promoted internally to management positions, which can be great in some cases, and disastrous in others. Just because an employee has been able to hit a quota does not mean they should be able to run a team. In some cases, managers are completely clueless about their position and only act as a support coach and cheerleader. The office is ran by two people who have complete control over everything. These two people have so much work on their plate that approval for anything can take multiple months.

The word transparency does not exist at Houzz. Upper management is always working on something much different than the employees underneath them. Instead of keeping them informed, employees will find out about a big project by reading it in the news or hearing it through office gossip.

Be prepared to have your compensation plan changed on a monthly basis. Upper management is always trying to find a way to increase your goals while decreasing your commission.

Notice how all the five star reviews are almost identical? Am I the only one that thinks it’s a bit unsettling that management will post these reviews without actually addressing any concers in the office? I’m sure there will be another one following this, so just be prepared.

Advice to Management

Be honest and true to your employees. Give middle management more responsibilities so they are able to make their own decisions instead of needing upper management’s approval. Keep the compensation plans the same or at least don’t change them on a monthly basis. Look at why so many employees are leaving for different companies. Maybe it’s time to start listening to everyone’s questions/concerns and acting on them.