Houzz Reviews | Glassdoor

Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management hands down initiatives with no prep to either employees or our direct managers" (in 20 reviews)

• "They should have been upfront in that this is strictly a call center environment" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Culture + Tech + Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm asked all the time how I like working at Houzz and my response is the same as it was two years ago when hired: I love the people. It's so nice to be surrounded with super smart, competent co-workers that are driven and passionate about their work AND do it without ego. Get so much more done without worrying about drama or politics, but instead everyone just wants to get things done and done right. I appreciate the way management listens to employee feedback, but also makes smart and strategic decisions about what will have the most impact to the employees. It's a nice balance. Great perks, gorgeous offices, management that remembers everyone's names and cares about our lives.

Cons

More of a challenge then a con, but we need to put more large scale processes in place that are sustainable for our rapid growth. Things that worked when company was small start up, might not be best way to do it as we get larger.

Mar 30, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks for taking a moment to post a review! We’ve worked very hard over the years to build and maintain a culture we can be proud of, and it is always great to see such a positive response to it... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly female colleagues
    Super supportive management
    Entry level and can make good money

Cons

Cold calling
    Can be monotonous work
    Incentives decreased while I was there but I earned the same with promotions

"It's Like High School, But With Cubicles"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just like high school, the job isn't hard, you won't be challenged and you won't learn anything valuable for the real workforce. When you're done with you exact 8 hour work day, you'll leave and go to happy hour with some of your coworkers because you are all basking in the misery of working 40 hours a week for a low orange county salary that prohibits you all from affording full priced drinks.

PROS:
    The people: Houzz hires with the intent to be exclusive. They want to be the jocks and the cheerleaders and for the most part everybody there is between 23-31 years old. You get to pick your clique and make some pretty good friends that you'll keep once you all get fed up and leave.

Food: The kitchen is stocked with fruit, chips, coffee, bread, eggs, cheese, oatmeal, protein bars, tea, flavored water. Breakfast is catered on Mondays, lunch is catered on Fridays.atered lunch on Fridays. You and your clique can spend 45-60 minutes each morning eating free free food before doing your job.

Benefits: You get great Medical, vision and dental benefits. Probably because they know you can't afford to see a doctor otherwise. The CEO once said she gets the same benefits because it's "what she believes in," so take that as you will.

Cons

Everything else.
    CONS:

Management: It's a running joke that almost every single manager at Houzz sat in the wrong chair by accident to become "THE DIRECTOR" or "THE MANAGER" of any given department. What gives a few 25-year-olds the experience to lead a bunch of other 20-something-year-olds? Nothing, except the fact that they probably have nice hair and a nice smile. What do these managers do? Honestly, after three years, I still don't know. What I know they don't do is help their employees.

Compensation: This isn't worth spending time on. They pay you a dirt minimum HOURLY salary. That means you still have to put in a time card every single day. Want a promotion? Cool! You're not getting paid more. Oh, and annual raises? Never heard of 'em.

Schedule: Some departments have mandatory hours, while others have the liberty to come at their leisure. Only certain departments get the special treatment to come in when they want, so it sets up for a superiority complex for those who can get to work whenever.
    But don't worry, everybody MUST stay for a full 8 hours. Finished early? Cool, don't walk out the door until your 8 hours are up. Not done yet? Go home, you must be here for 8 hours tomorrow and you won't be paid overtime if you stay.

Growth: The company is NOT set up to support career growth because the incompetent managers have been there for years and will stay because they are getting paid 50%-80% more than everyone else. Here's to hoping one of them gets pregnant or quits! And then maybe you'll be considered to get interviewed internally 4 more times to maybe take their place! Good Luck!

Layoffs: Houzz had 3 different rounds of layoffs between Q4 of 2017 and Q4 of 2018. What does that tell us? Leadership has no real business strategy, they eliminate and rehire because they're focused on short term solutions to long terms problems. Three days before the company holiday party in 2017 an entire department was laid off for the sake of restructuring. In November of 2018 nearly 200 employees were laid off. It's just a mess.

Work: Let's face it, I worked full-time but only half of my time there was spent working. In high school, all you really did was show up. Welcome to Houzz. You show up, you do your work at a mediocre level, but you're talking to your friends and hanging out most of the time. I'm not kidding when I say people spend an hour getting toast each morning. Then an hour at lunch. Then you go on a 30 minute walk, or two, or four, depending on where your manager sits in relation to you. It's all fun and games until someone notices though, if so you're chained to that 3x3 cubicle forever while you're friends get to play around half the day without you.

While that might sound appealing to some, the truth of the matter is the work is not challenging and when you do try to make improvements or go above and beyond - nobody cares. You won't be recognized for trying to actually do something unlike everybody else. You will not be promoted. You will not be compensated. Sit down, look at your computer and enjoy the poorly brewed Stumptown coffee and you'll collect your pathetic paycheck like everybody else with hardly any transferable skills for your future.

Advice to Management

Really ironic here: Manage.
    Managers do absolutely nothing for their teams. They are nowhere to be found.
    Listen- in last year's survey transparency was requested, but laying off 200 people in one day and not letting everybody else know what is going on an what the plan is for the future is not transparency. Telling the rest of us after the fact is not transparency. Telling us that you're telling us after the fact in an effort to be transparent is not transparency.

BEST OF LUCK WITH THE IPO.

4. "Solid Place, Can't Complain"

Pros

Well Paid, nice coworkers, great perks

Cons

Young Leadership, not a ton of transparency

"A growing company that needs to work out the kinks"

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The things you might have heard about the culture of Houzz are true. When you walk into the office you feel welcomed, which largely has to do with the Feng Shui of the space, so kudos for that. The kitchen is fully stocked with snacks, sandwich material, coffee, etc. so it's hard to ever find yourself hungry at the office. Generally speaking, team leads are kind and understanding, always open to helping you solve an issue. The vacation time is very fair. If you're not someone who gets sick often, you can accrue a good chunk of vacation time in six months, and in my experience, going into the red on your vacation time was very much of an issue with management. Overall, coming into the office was an emotionally easy thing. I can count on one hand the amount of times I dreaded going to work. The work/life balance is, generally, very good, but I'm speaking from my own department.

Cons

Straight off, the pay. Compared to industry standards, Houzz severely underpays its workers. Instead, they throw food at the problem, and I mean that literally. Snack time this...potluck that. It's their way of navigating around the real problem of raises of any sort. I was there over two years and never once saw a pay raise and neither did anyone that I knew unless they were promoted, which also is a rarity for such a growing company. The food-over-money theory works for awhile for Houzz because the vast majority of workers are under 30, but even they get wise to the workings of the company and jump ship. This will continue to be an issue for this company's turnover until it is remedied.

The motto of "We Are A Family" is hogwash. I think their hearts are in the right place, but for a company that makes as much as it does in profit, they do not share the wealth. Furthermore, when entire teams are laid off it's done as if both partiers were complete strangers. To have "We Are A Family" be a focal point of the office and not just an internal motto is very odd considering how cold management can be, but I suppose that is also just the ways of a multinational business. Lastly, the upper management should find a way to motivate its workers in a genuine and honest way. Myself and others had promotions dangled over our heads that never came — and never were coming — while more work was piled on top of us. I can say that everyone I met at Houzz enjoyed working hard and meeting stretch goals, but when there isn't any reward for additional work (aside from saving the company "millions of dollars" — yes, that was communicated), then what's the point?

Advice to Management

Everything in the cons should do it. That said, lower-level management was nothing but aces in my experience.

"Best people ever, pretty much the worst company ever"

Former Employee - E-commerce Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - E-commerce Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AMAZING coworkers and great office and office perks

Cons

Upper management hands down initiatives with no prep to either employees or our direct managers. I personally watched them over hire for three departments (including my own) and then slash wages or layoff people. Job satisfaction and morale get super low because nobody feels in the loop or like there is any real plan for the company.

Advice to Management

There is such poor communication going on that I often found out things (including aforementioned layoff) before my own team lead. Plus literally the day before the layoff was a company wide meeting where they praised how well that whole team was doing? It feels disjointed and its heartbreaking.

"Houzz is really making an investment in their new sales reps"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been in lots of sales organizations over the years but I’ve never seen a company make an investment like Houzz. My class was one of the first to go through “Greenhouzz” which is the practice area where we continue training after leaving the classroom. They offer tons of support from dedicated sales managers, experienced reps and our trainers all working together to help us be successful. It’s almost 1 to 1 and I’ve had someone sit in on my calls and coach me real time every time I’ve had a real prospect on the phone. Normally companies don’t spend that kind of money on resources, but Houzz does.

They are also hiring like crazy right now and even my trainer was relatively new, but you wouldn’t know it. They created such a caring and supportive environment that it really is like one of our company values, we’re a family! We take care of each other and I look forward to paying it forward some day for other new people.

Cons

I know some people have written that Houzz has been like a sorority with everyone being approximately the same age and demographic, but I really do think that is changing. I’m definitely older and there were others like me with sales experience in my class. I think it’s just going to take some time to see the changes across the board.

Advice to Management

Thank you for caring so much about us new people. It shows! I look forward to having the option to invest in the company in the future.

Nov 27, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Greenhouzz and your perspective on the investment we are making in our new employees. We began our Greenhouzz earlier this year as an extension of... More

"It's a job. Not a career."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life Balance is unmatched
    Monday Breakfasts
    Friday Lunches
    Kitchen

Cons

It's funny to read all of these positive reviews. In my two years at Houzz I met only a handful of people who really loved working for Houzz-- most people refer to Houzz as the Titanic. You know the ship is sinking, and you either decide to stay aboard or jump off. I found that 95% of people felt like Houzz was misleading in their hiring process. I worked with people who were recruited from Boston and California for their positions at Houzz. They were duped in to believing they would make 100k plus in a year. Unfortunately this wasn't true and when the department suffered, these women who were recruited from different areas, were laid off within 8 months of moving.

Houzz is a great idea in theory. But the website is flawed. As an AE, I was overwhelmed with the pressure to sell a service that no one wants, and ultimately most professionals are unhappy with once they're locked in to a year long commitment. I kept tabs on every account I sold, and while some had few complaints, Houzz CSMs did not reach out as we had suggested, and they were auto renewed after not being in contact with a CSM for an entire year.

Pay is a major issue that the CEO continues to ignore, regardless of how many "employee surveys" we engage in.

Leadership is mostly flawed. I worked for a director who I didn't meet for 8 months. Management style is really different depending upon your team. You can have really overbearing managers and you can have really great managers it's totally luck of the draw. Don't ask to change managers because they'll push you to leave.

Anytime you find an issue with a department system, you're approached with defensiveness from all angles. Leadership is hesitant to take on new ideas unless it's one of their own.

Before I started at Houzz, I read a review that said you will hate your life working here. The only thing you will look forward to is spending time with your colleagues who you'll bond with because your work life is so damaging. I found this to be the most accurate description after working there for 2 years. You'll hate working there. The first 6 months are good, and then you recognize all of the issues, and have difficulty paying for rent. You'll bond over this and you'll find Houzz does hire some of the best women I've ever met. It does become a family.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented people around you and all willing to help you to succeed.

Cons

Relatively low base salary comparing to FAANG.

Advice to Management

Diversifying ENG team could be a direction to work on

"Client Success Manager"

Former Employee - Client Success Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Client Success Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time

Pros

Exceptional people (they will continue to leave if things don’t change), great benefits and office perks (stocked kitchen, catered meals Monday and Friday etc), great hours/work life balance, and great mid level management (they will also leave if they're not heard).

I experienced incredible personal and professional growth here while simultaneously forging lifelong friendships with some truly amazing, motivated and intelligent people-- for that I am forever grateful.

They hire straight out of college and I appreciate this because it gives driven young people otherwise lacking years of work experience an opportunity to dive into the workforce and *hopefully* grow within.

Cons

Please note: this review is specific to the Client Success Management channel.

I want to start by saying it saddens me to write this review. I wanted to be Houzz's number one fan through all the tough times--we were a start up, we were bound to experience hiccups and speed bumps along the way but it was exciting and we believed in the journey so we all put our heads down and pushed through it together. Towards the last year of my employment, I realized I didn't believe in what we were doing or how we were doing it. Possibly worse, I found that our feedback as reps and even the feedback of our direct managers was not being heard and addressed effectively (or with any sense of urgency) which made it very difficult for us to effectively advocate for the best interests of our clients. My moral compass told me to run in the other direction because it seemed there was a growing negative trend: many of the changes I had a hard time swallowing were to the exclusive benefit of Houzz and had a direct negative impact on reps and pros (our clients). I'm going to try to outline the issues as concisely as possible. I want to be clear, I still believe this is an incredible company that has a ton of opportunity but I was never going to have a loud enough voice from within, so I hope this review will be used to better the CSM channel.

New Sales: I'll keep this brief. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel with leads and it shows in our sales. Furthermore, we've built a system that consistently rewards AEs for getting the signature and credit card and CSMs are left to clean up the mess. Major issues with new sales include: pro is truly not a fit for what we offer, they are sold into a failing category or an area that consistently under-delivers, they don't realize the importance of their involvement for their own success with it, or more broadly, the expectations were not effectively set from the start.

Product: Roughly 2 years ago we completely changed the product by adding a lead gen element in. This change caused irreparable damage, not because the concept or intention was bad, but because we refused to listen to what pros had to say about the low quality/low budget and fake leads they were receiving as a result. If time is money, our pros were suddenly wasting substantial time following up with bad leads and this loss of time and increased frustration meant a loss in credibility for Houzz. This shift towards lead gen also created confusion about how to sell the product (AE side) and how to effectively manage clients through their lifecycle (CSM side)...why work on building a compelling profile when you get the same leads either way? The "data" was telling us things were going well, so the direct feedback of pros and reps was ignored for months and now we're seeing the rising volume of cancellations as a result.

Process: Roughly a year ago, we were told that we were going to start exercising auto-renewal. This wouldn't be a problem, had we been transparent about the process change and sent one email out to all our clients telling them this was going to be the new way we manage renewals. Instead, we were asked to "not poke the bear" and avoid triggering conversations about renewal because we wanted to see if anyone would really even notice. There was a distinct assumption made with this decision that pros were truly happy with the program, which given the product changes and various challenges with new sales/expectations outlined above, was not the case. Now people were upset with the leads and even more upset that they have been auto-renewed without notice and CSMs were left to handle it. I and many of my coworkers experienced anxiety (literal panic attacks in some cases) about coming into work because it was so deflating to face these negative conversations day in and day out without any sign of improvement on the forefront.

Lack of Professional Growth: My professional growth at Houzz was in large part due to the lack of training and structure as I entered into the role. It was trial by fire and I failed often and learned to figure it out on my own as a result. My interests and skills were not nurtured or grown in a real way, despite the mutual efforts of myself and my direct managers. Unfortunately, since it’s not really encouraged to seek out opportunities in other departments, once you hit a dead-end in CSM, the only viable option is to leave.

Leadership: There are some exceptional leaders at Houzz, but unfortunately the best ones don't really have any autonomy. We have a few of what we call "right time, right place" managers who moved up the ladder rather quickly, despite their lack of experience and exemplification of any leadership skills. Some leaders rose to the occasion when given the opportunity to advance, others most certainly did not and there was nothing CSMs could do about it since we don't have an opportunity to review our leaders. It's offensive to come into sales meetings (which are largely AE focused) and be told how great things are when our job is largely comprised of cancellations and our paychecks are diminishing as a result. We do not need to be reminded of our great benefits; we need to be addressed like adults and have an honest conversation about the state of the business, victories as well as pain points and the clearly defined actions being taken to make the job and product better. As another reviewer mentioned--benefits don't pay the bills and frankly, Houzz cannot rely on their great benefits and perks to keep people around because it's industry standard in the tech boom to offer perks that keep great talent around. I would argue that reps 1) want to feel the work they do is impactful 2) want to be heard 3) want to feel valued in their role and 4) want to be compensated fairly for controllable job responsibilities. I'd bet if you ran anonymous surveys with the CSM channel, you'd see that is far from the way your reps feel today.

Advice to Management

Make it your mission to seek out feedback consistently and ACT on it. Run constant employee surveys on job satisfaction, satisfaction with management, compensation, professional growth, value of meetings etc. CSMs are the only team you have on the front lines for Pro+ and until you are consistently gathering more direct feedback from pros, you need to listen up and trust that CSMs are not simply whining and exaggerating when reporting on trends/feedback from their day to day. On the pro side, you should be consistently requesting feedback through automated surveys on every feature, update, and more broadly on their overall satisfaction with the program. Allow pros to offer solutions as well as feedback--you might be surprised at what great ideas they have to offer. Don't let it be a surprise when numbers drop because cancellations skyrocketed as a result of said product and process changes above...listen to your people and listen to your client when they are pleading for change.

Reward loyalty--our most legacy pros and reps have been hit the hardest by business decisions Houzz made with the product/process the last couple years. I have honestly wondered at times if it was part of a big conspiracy to get rid of the longest standing pros and reps because life would be easier without all the people who remembered "what was" before all the changes. If you value them, find ways to remind them so you can continue to earn their loyalty....and don’t forget that money talks.

Be transparent, always explain the why--Apply this to pros and employees. I promise we can all handle the truth if you would give us a chance to be treated like adults. At least if you're honest with your employees and your clients, they can make their own educated decisions about whether they see enough value to stay.

Give AE's and CSMs more opportunities to collaborate, meet up for casual happy hours or shadow calls. I refuse to believe AEs are out to get CSMs but they are severely under educated on the reality of Pro+ today and I would hope that working more closely would bridge that gap (and honestly, the underlying hostility) between the two departments. Create comp plans for AEs that promote accountability for sales made.

Nurture your employee’s interests and skills--I promise you they will be more engaged, productive, and valuable for you in the long run if you find a way to take a real interest in what drives them and help open doors for them where possible.

Empower mid level management to make autonomous decisions for their teams and their clients. At this point, they have no true autonomy and have become middlemen communicating from reps to upper management and back. That tells us you don't trust their ability to make sound decisions which is a real shame given the talent you have.

Everyone in the company should be participating in 360 performance reviews.

Oct 12, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough account of your recommendations. As I’ve mentioned in other reviews here - we are listening. We’ve just received the results of our... More