Houzz Reviews | Glassdoor

Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I was told that there is room for growth & no micro management (in 9 reviews)

• In reality, the day to day dynamic resembles that of a highly supervised call center (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Culture + Tech + Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm asked all the time how I like working at Houzz and my response is the same as it was two years ago when hired: I love the people. It's so nice to be surrounded with super smart, competent co-workers that are driven and passionate about their work AND do it without ego. Get so much more done without worrying about drama or politics, but instead everyone just wants to get things done and done right. I appreciate the way management listens to employee feedback, but also makes smart and strategic decisions about what will have the most impact to the employees. It's a nice balance. Great perks, gorgeous offices, management that remembers everyone's names and cares about our lives.

Cons

More of a challenge then a con, but we need to put more large scale processes in place that are sustainable for our rapid growth. Things that worked when company was small start up, might not be best way to do it as we get larger.

Houzz Response

Mar 30, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks for taking a moment to post a review! We’ve worked very hard over the years to build and maintain a culture we can be proud of, and it is always great to see such a positive response to it... More

"Best Company I've EVER Worked For"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, company goes above and beyond to keep employees happy (catered breakfast/lunch, gifts, music playing, casual dress code), company focus on customer service

Cons

I can't think of anything to put as a con

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"An Amazing Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Marketplace Lead in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Marketplace Lead in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love my job! I am so grateful for Kathy S. who recruited me some 10 months ago - without her I would not have had the opportunity to engage with a community which advocates my person and a company I could not be a greater fan of! Kathy oversaw every step of my application process and encouraged me throughout. I am now a lead in my department and I owe it all to Kathy!

Cons

N/A - This is an exceptional company I feel privileged to work for!

Advice to Management

Continue to engage with a balance of advocacy and providing clear expectation(s)

4. "Customer Services Specalist"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, free food, Good Benefits. ok pay

Cons

I LOOOVVVEEEDDD this place when I first started. The promises of career growth and the relaxed atmosphere.....That quickly went downhill. I have never worked for a place that I gave 2000% to and still felt like I was failing. All my number over the weeks have been Great but to be pulled into an office on for logging in at 7:00:06sec like not even 7:01 when the manager and leads come in at 7:10 and later what kind of example is that. They say they have an open door but that's not true they sit around and talk about people or issue that you would like private.

"Excellent Business, better people."

Current Employee - Logistics Claims Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Logistics Claims Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment and excellent leadership.

Cons

There are zero cons here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Internal Job Process"

Current Employee - Product Data Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Product Data Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

During the internal job process, I feel like I received a good understanding of what my new role would be and how I would be a great fit. Kathy Shi, a member of the internal hiring team, was extremely helpful and genuine. She communicated everything to me clearly and timely.

Cons

The only con I would give the internal process is it seemed a little long since I had already been working at Houzz for almost a year. Long in the sense that there were 3 to 4 interviews.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to continue hiring and promoting from within! Assisting others to find their place at Houzz goes a long way. The great recruiters and the smooth internal process helped me to become a long-term Houzz employee.

"Only the photos on site are beautiful"

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

Palo Alto downtown location, office decor

Cons

Low base pay for standard of living; no bonuses and appraisals; expects employees to live and feed themselves on IPO hope; political mess for company this size; select leads just cover each other’s shortcomings; no clear goals; not a tech company at all; no room for growth; no flexibility to try new things, just stick where you at; culture is more dictatorship; everyone wants to leave; rest and best culture; projects are uninteresting; so many product features don’t work as expected

Advice to Management

Leads should pay more attention to who is doing what; people are enjoying in chaos; real doers should get credit; match comp to top market players if you want the best; be motivating in work and pay

"Stay away"

I worked at Houzz full-time

Pros

- pretty office in Palo Alto
    - daily dinner
    - probably a good first job out of college because you work on different projects

Cons

- extremely low salary for Bay Area standards
    - no career growth possible, the management doesn’t care if you succeed or not
    - no diversity of opinion is encouraged
    - very low morale
    - lacking thought leadership and culture of excellence
    - they claim to have a flat structure but it’s a lie. Very hierarchical and intransparent with employees. Feels like everything is a secret

Advice to Management

Be transparent with your employees

"Excited for the future!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Houzz is the best organization I have ever worked within. The product itself is amazing and my colleagues continue to impress me every day. I feel supported by my managers and enjoy coming to work each morning.

-Coworkers! Houzz hires incredible people.
    -Benefits are paid for by the company!
    -Plethora of snacks, tea, coffee
    -Catered meals twice per week

Cons

I can't think of any 'cons', but change is ever present. We are a tech start up so those of us who embrace change tend to be very happy here.

Advice to Management

The company recently added to our leadership team, all of whom are extremely impressive and knowledgeable. I am excited to see what the future holds with them paving the way in their fields of expertise!

"Fun, Friendly and Innovative Place to work where you can drive your own projects"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I made a career transition and have been at Houzz for less than a year but I am happy to say that I really love it here. Let me first say that everyone is really friendly, warm and open to share with one another what projects they are working on.

During my time here at Houzz, I was able to drive projects and offer a creative voice in helping create processes within a short time frame. Houzz is a collaborate environment where everyone really strives to make it a place where it feels like home! I feel really inspired going to work everyday, because I know that I'm making an impact and helping people take one step closer in designing their dream home!

One of the many perks at Houzz includes breakfast and dinner, which is served every day. Fridays are special because not only do we have lunch catered in, but the office team does a great job trying to celebrate Houzzers whose birthdays happen to fall on that week. In addition, the office space is really beautiful and right in the heart of Downtown Palo Alto.

Cons

Although I am grateful to have Go Pass, commuting to Palo Alto is still not that convenient from certain locations.

Advice to Management

I hope that in the future we can see more L&D programs being implemented, including management trainings and programs devoted to personal development.

Houzz Response

Apr 2, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

It sounds like your first year has been a great one! Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Houzz is a place where self starters really thrive, and as you noted, there are many opportunities... More