Houzz Reviews

Updated May 31, 2020

3.4
Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko
Pros
  • "Fun place to work, hire young people, fully stocked kitchen(in 86 reviews)

• "Catered breakfast on Mondays and lunch on Fridays, along with a fully stocked kitchen(in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • "We weren't even given the chance to really show upper management what we were capable of(in 34 reviews)

• "Glorified Call center calling 80(in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The best place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Houzz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love working at Houzz, and people are definitely Houzz’s greatest asset. Houzzers are brilliant, a talented, creative and very hard working group of people that really cares about each others. You really feel as a part of a big and unique family! The leadership team is amazing too, they are great mentors, they encourage you to push yourself to achieve your goals, to continue learning new skills and growing in your career. They make you feel part of the company’s mission and business strategy. Besides that, what I am really appreciate about working at Houzz is how much the company cares about giving first class ongoing training to employees. We are very lucky to have access to very comprehensive career development, progression and training programmes that help us to continue evolving and growing in our careers.

Cons

Nothing to add at this moment!

Houzz2020-04-13

Houzz Response

April 15, 2020Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you so much for your review! I love what you have to say about your fellow Houzzers, and fully agree with the commitment to ongoing training. We’ve got a few programs in place with both internal training programs and tuition reimbursement for outside programs that contribute to the growth of Houzz employees in their roles and careers. I absolutely encourage everyone to take advantage of these opportunities! Should you have any additional feedback, please feel free to reach out to me directly. Andrina Laflamme-Fillion, Senior People Partner Manager, Andrina@houzz.com

"Post Covid Experiences"

Current Employee - Consumer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like most tech companies, the last few months have forced the company to really think through its priorities and act on them swiftly. Here is what I've experienced relative to my experiences in other companies having to undergo changes: - Little to no discernible politics. No posturing, no power struggles, no kingdom building. Everyone top to bottom just wants to do the right thing for the business - Lots of debates but with a healthy level of respect. With a much smaller organization managing a larger workload, everyone seems to trust that everyone has the company's interests in mind. Not to mention that everyone is actually very nice. - There is a lot of work to be done and it's fulfilling. The impact is immediate and it's easy to see the value you bring to the org as a result

Cons

The company isn't for everyone. The reporting structure is an ongoing matrix, you need to have a deep understanding of your perspectives and be able to defend them logically, and everything needs to be maniacally prioritized. All the cons of a larger organization like the politics and the excess amount of time people have to get things done don't exist at Houzz. But all the luxuries around a larger organization like significant budgets and resourcing don't exist at Houzz as well, especially now.

Houzz2020-05-27

"Good opportunities; about to take off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Above all else, Houzz is still small enough and responsive enough that you can have a large impact on the business. - Houzz has a great culture and values that many at the company truly believe in - They seem to be making very smart directional choices that have been paying off: focusing and expanding what's winning and cutting off lower-value projects that could distract from the main business. - Leadership has shown it's willing to change and adapt as the company matures - Generally great co-workers; Houzz is good people - Feels like working someplace that is just about to take off

Cons

- There are growing pains as the company transitions from a startup into a large company: necessary processes are finally being put in place, but the pace of change can feel slow to people accustomed to large, established companies. - While most of the Houzz culture is really great, there is a habit of moving pretty methodically (i.e. slow), though that is changing as new energy is getting pumped into the company.

Houzz2020-05-27

"Great people, culture, mission"

Current Employee - Product in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Generally, the people are smart, positive, and collaborative. The company has done a great job retaining folks that have been there for 4+ years so there's definitely continuity of culture. - Culture encourages moving fast and bottoms-up leadership to effect change - People are inspired and passionate about the company's mission - There's massive opportunity to drive impact across every function and level

Cons

- Processes are still maturing though that's fairly standard for companies at this stage

Houzz2020-05-26

"Strong company with a promising future"

Current Employee - Product Management in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exciting product and platform, strong talent, good culture. Lot of willingness to make the changes required to make it a great organization

Cons

It is a good fit for people who are willing to build and have that attitude and mindset

Houzz2020-05-26

"Great place to work with"

Current Employee - Data

I have been working at Houzz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly culture, talented colleagues, exciting problem space

Cons

Not that I can think of

Houzz2020-05-22

"Great culture, rocky management"

Former Employee - Marketplace in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers become your close friends, the amenities are great (catered lunches every week and all of the snacks/drinks you could want)

Cons

Management continues to falter with transparency and is well aware of this issue but takes no action to improve it.

Houzz Response

May 27, 2020Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for your feedback. We have been working very hard to communicate as much as we can with Houzzers during this unprecedented time, including about the difficult decision we made in April to part ways with members of our team so that we can best weather this period of uncertainty as a company. This was not an easy decision to make, nor an easy one to communicate, particularly remotely. We did our best to share the news with our teams with as much transparency and sensitivity as possible, including 1:1’s with everyone impacted. I am sorry we fell short for you. If you have thoughts on how we can do better and are comfortable reaching out, please do so. Lisa Rambo, VP of Marketplace Operations (lisa.rambo@houzz.com)

"Proud to Work Here"

I have been working at Houzz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As it has been said time and time again, the people at Houzz are truly a joy to work with everyday. I am consistently surprised by the amount of talented, driven, innovative, supportive, and intelligent people that I am surrounded by. Just like in any company, people can become overly critical of their leaders and others in general. Reading some of the reviews written on here are surprising, but I think a lot of it comes from the fact that individuals fail to put themselves in other's shoes and lack empathy. Just because someone higher up than you makes a decision that you disagree with, it doesn't mean they don't care about you/only care about the money. A lot of this comes from a lack of maturity, but people will learn over time. I'm actually very impressed with how the company has handled the COVID-19 situation. While some may be critical of the length of time it took for the entire company to go into a full work from home mode, I honestly think the company was doing the best they could. It's not as if Houzz saw this coming, this entire situation is so out of left field. They scrambled as quick as possible to scale everything, so I appreciate that. I can only imagine how much of a logistical nightmare that was. This week was obviously very tough for the company, as they had to lay off the largest number of Houzzers at once that I've ever seen. I have been fortunate enough to have worked in several departments, so I have various connections/friends and it is sad yet also encouraging to see how this week's layoffs have affected people. It is amazing to see the level of empathy that my peers have had for our friends that were let go, and I think that speaks to the family culture we have all helped build over the years. It is truly heartbreaking to see my friends who have also been here for 5, 6, 7, years be forced to go, and people are shocked/sad/upset, but everyone understands this was unavoidable. It's not as if we are the only company dealing with circumstances out of our control. I am especially proud of how the leaders of our company handled this situation...things were well communicated, people were met with privately when told it was their last day, and people are being given generous packages. I have had my fair share of frustrations with decisions in the past, but I have nothing critical to share in regards to this. I truly just have respect and compassion for the people who had to make these tough decisions and lead these conversations. The day after this all happened, our CEO addressed the company in a live video call to provide context on how they came to this decision. She was concise, direct, and gave us only the necessary information as well as a plan to move forward. You could tell she was visibly upset by having to have made the call to let go of people, as she choked up multiple times. I have been with Houzz for a long time, and have never seen this level of emotion from her. It made the video call feel much more intimate and that we were all in this together. It truly meant a lot to see that she was also as equally upset as we were. There are many obvious perks to working at Houzz: the snacks/food, modern office space, fun events, AMAZING health benefits....but times like these remind me why I've stuck around. At our core I know that the company cares about each of us individually, wants us to succeed, and wants to us champion the Houzz mission.

Cons

Every company has its areas of opportunity. My "cons" at Houzz are lack of career advancement/promotion opportunities (which I understand is complicated, you can't just make up a role so that someone can get promoted and it speaks to the company that people in higher positions don't want to leave); a lot of people in upper management happened to be "in at the right time" and lack leadership skills and I know it would be widely appreciated if those individuals worked with their own leaders to develop those skills more; and I do feel that many individuals aren't being properly compensated for the amount of work they are doing/the massive contribution they are making to the company.

Houzz2020-04-24
  9. "Great place to work with great people"

5.0

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

If you're at Houzz you're surrounded by great people who will do everything they can to support you.

Cons

There have been some difficult restructures recently and some severe missteps in long term planning.

Houzz2020-04-28
  10. "Great company atmosphere, good team members, poor leadership"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Houzz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent commission, decent base pay, lots to learn

Cons

No time flexibility, nepotism in management

Houzz2020-04-28