Houzz Reviews | Glassdoor

Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management hands down initiatives with no prep to either employees or our direct managers" (in 24 reviews)

• "Organizational structure provides limited room for growth and promotion" (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Culture + Tech + Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm asked all the time how I like working at Houzz and my response is the same as it was two years ago when hired: I love the people. It's so nice to be surrounded with super smart, competent co-workers that are driven and passionate about their work AND do it without ego. Get so much more done without worrying about drama or politics, but instead everyone just wants to get things done and done right. I appreciate the way management listens to employee feedback, but also makes smart and strategic decisions about what will have the most impact to the employees. It's a nice balance. Great perks, gorgeous offices, management that remembers everyone's names and cares about our lives.

Cons

More of a challenge then a con, but we need to put more large scale processes in place that are sustainable for our rapid growth. Things that worked when company was small start up, might not be best way to do it as we get larger.

Mar 30, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks for taking a moment to post a review! We’ve worked very hard over the years to build and maintain a culture we can be proud of, and it is always great to see such a positive response to it... More

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketplace in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Marketplace in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have loved Houzz as an employer. They foster growth and development beyond tangible skills. My co-workers are the best.

Cons

No structured merit program or cost of living adjustments.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Client Success Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Treat employees well
    Great Co workers
    Great Location
    Great Perks
    Pay is solid

Cons

Pay structure could be a little better

"Houzz"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast on Monday - wear workout clothes on Wednesday - free lunch on Friday - fully stocked kitchen with snacks - decent pay

Cons

I would only recommend this job for ages 18-35

"What more could a sales rep want?"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am shocked at the bad feedback on here. If you are willing to stay on task, follow up with pros when you say you will, remind pros of appointments so they show up, and read a script verbatim if necessary until you get it down then congrats! You have what it takes to be successful at Houzz.

If you want to spend your day looking at instagram, texting your whoevers, and backing down when someone says something like "I'm not interested" in an annoyed tone before you've ever even discussed any specifics of why you're calling, then you'll probably wind up leaving a review like the negative ones you see here in a few months, don't waste your time.

This is a multibillion-dollar start-up that will go public in the imminent future, there are no truly cold calls as you only call people participating on the site who have consented to be called in the terms and conditions, the office is super nice with a private deck that can accommodate ~100 people that sees all 4 plates at Petco Park, there are two stocked kitchens that have fruit, vegitables, meat, eggs, bread, and more and cooking stations that you can use whenever you want, there is coffee, including espresso and cold brew on nitro on tap out of a keg available with a drink whatever you want policy, there is also kombucha and tea on nitro on tap, the base salaries are competitive for sales, there is a comprehensive healthcare plan that goes into effect day 1, the sales cycle is short, and you have the opportunity to make good sales and income IMMEDIATELY if you come in ready to grind, I have seen a decent amount of reps earn thousands of dollars in commissions in their first month on the floor in my short tenure.

The product offered has no apples to apples competitor and is a major part of the number one online community for its industry (a >$1 Trillion dollar industry that has come online slower than many others) and the management is very laid back and accommodating relative to other organizations I have been in. So I am just shocked that this is at a 3.5 star at this point. This is a good opportunity for anyone who is willing to work hard and wants to hone their skills in an environment rich with competition, opportunities for advancement, and money to be made.

If you want to focus on selling and honing your skills, not doing account management, clerical tasks, and talking to big clients about their families for hours out of your week, this is a great company to be at.

Like I said up top, what more could a sales rep want?

Cons

If you are not willing to work hard you will hate it here. Some people want to coast, this is not the place for that.

Advice to Management

Keep it rolling!

Feb 13, 2019 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks so much for sharing. I couldn’t have summed it up better for what will make you successful at Houzz. Resourcefulness, grit and being a team player will get you far here, in fact these are a... More

"A Truly Phenomenal and Fulfilling Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

I immediately felt at home here and am consistently amazed by the connections I continue to make every day. Houzz has successfully obtained a stellar group of employees and I know many will be lifelong friends.

Positive, fun atmosphere- supportive & friendly coworkers and tons of fun activities in the office
    Catered breakfast on Mondays and lunch on Fridays, along with a fully stocked kitchen
    Quarterly birthday parties with each person's favorite dessert for everyone to try
    Random surprises like an espresso bar on National Coffee Day
    Completely covered health/vision/dental insurance and pet insurance as well
    Every Wednesday is Workout Wednesday and you can wear your workout gear which is awesome- office attire is already very casual and laid back
    Monthly Healthy at Houzz events- Past events have been aerial yoga, pilates, barre, krav maga, sparkcycle
    Multiple patios overlooking Petco Park- beautiful 360 windows all around the office with views of downtown
    Paid parking right by the office- a big win for DT SD
    Cold brew, kombucha on tap, nespresso machine

This office is almost completely sales so you constantly hear reps cheering on each other's sales and encouraging each other to succeed- there are also lots of incentives and contests on top of the uncapped commission structure

In my interview process, I was promised development and I have seen much of that take effect from a very early point. I respect and trust my manager and know he is committed to helping both me and the team succeed

Work-life balance is definitely valued as all of the sales team members are hourly and never work more than a 40 hour work week and the salaried team members are also strongly encouraged to only work their 40 hours as well

I am so excited to be a part of this company and can't wait to be a part of our many successes to come!

Cons

Frequent desk moves, that is really it

Feb 6, 2019 – Houzz on Glassdoor

I’m glad you found your home at Houzz. Thanks for sharing about your experience here in San Diego. This month we’re rolling out additional development courses as part of our BUILD training. I think... More

"A Real Review from a 2 year Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Houzz (More than a year)

Pros

You will meet a lot of people that you will become good friends with.
    Everyone is around the same age and exploring their career field just like you.
    Free Monday breakfast and free Friday Lunch
    Paid for Parking
    Great Views of Nashville from UBS Tower

Cons

I have worked with Houzz since pretty much the beginning of their Nashville branch. I have seen all of the ups and downs, relocations, company changes, etc. And what I will say is that I have wasted 2 years of my working life.

Everything I mentioned in the Pros section is honest, but there's more to it behind some of them. The people you meet here are amazing, you will instantly connect with them and hang outside of work. However, they were also fooled just like you by the glamorous office design, the free food, the great location. Nothing compensates for the lack of growth and absence of knowledge in the company during your time here. When you are hired, you will go through training just like any other job, but that will be the extent of learning, no matter how long you're here. You are told to stay in your lane and excel in your position the best you can. You'll find out that once you achieve all that you can achieve, or learn all that you can learn in your position, there is nothing else but repetitive routines and bashing of morale.

When they hire, they promise there is opportunity to grow. Please take me seriously when I say, there is none. Look elsewhere if you want to grow in a career.
    The micromanagement is absolutely horrifying. This company does not trust their employees so they review every piece of work you do, check over every second of your time clock (seriously every second, if you clock in 5 seconds late you will be given a written warning, and your monthly bonus will be effected.) And your manager will constantly chat you to follow up on a case that you just worked on 10 minutes ago.
    They created a new Professional department with the promise that they will succeed, make more money and help Houzz grow substantially in the marketplace. 4 months later, they decided to close that department and lay off 40+ employees. You can't trust this company and you never know if you're job is safe.

Management will reply to this review just like they do the rest, asking to reach back out and discuss how they can improve. But I've been a very loyal, respectful employee the past 2 years trying to help Houzz improve but they refuse to listen to anyone that isn't an engineer or designer.
    The greatest decision about Houzz is that there is free food. It's pretty sad that is my view after being with the company for so long.

If you watch The Office, this company is exactly like the night shift call center Michael worked at. Just clean your headset and tuck in your chair if you want to leave. They do not care.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement needs to stop. You need to trust your employees because you do hire some of the best workers. However, the micromanaging makes them feel less capable of doing their job independently and they seek out a company who ensures trust in their working relationship.

Feb 6, 2019 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Thanks for taking the time to share about your experience. Our office in Nashville has grown and changed a lot these past few years as the needs of the business have changed. Our talent development... More

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Industrial Sales Representative in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Industrial Sales Representative in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a seasoned sales person with 18 years experience in tech sales.
    My manager Claire Pardun is a wonderful, nurturing personality. Claire has been able to provide me with coaching that has made a difference in my average sale here. I like to point this out because I had not found that with any of the companies I have previously worked with and trust me, I asked because I don't believe you can ever stop improving yourself as a sales person.
    My team members are positive, caring, motivated sales people and honestly I have never worked for a company like this. I really enjoy coming to work every day!

Houzz sales environment is fast paced, extremely competitive. If you work here you need to work hard, work smart with the leads your given, have the ability to stay focused, hit your numbers, pitch with integrity and close when it makes sense for Houzz and the business owner.
    Don't want to work hard and be tired every day, probably not a good fit.

Houzz is rapidly growing, we are evaluated as approx. 4 billion dollar company and I would expect them to go public at the right time. In my opinion there are many changes taking place but I feel they are very positive; I welcome anything that is for the better of the company, the community, the contractors that we provide marketing to and Houzz employees.

Houzz culture is the best, it's so fun here, benefits are very good, the HOUZZ platform is great. I give Houzz 5 stars based on my work history of over 25 years!

Cons

I dont like Park Place restaurants it's the same ole same ole every day. (not related to Houzz, just the complex) I wish I had a smoothie maker LOL, IDK I cant think of anything.

Advice to Management

I have worked here late in the evenings and they are all so supportive.

Feb 13, 2019 – Houzz on Glassdoor

I am overjoyed to read about your experience so far! I couldn’t agree more - you can never stop improving as a sales person. Working hard and putting the customer first is a win for everyone. Thanks... More

9. "Good company to work at"

Former Employee - Marketplace Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Marketplace Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, amenities

Cons

layoffs, no room for promotions

"Wonderful atmosphere and coworkers, lacking communication."

Former Employee - Customer Support Coordinator in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Support Coordinator in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully stocked kitchen with options for everyone.
    Understanding HR, sorry people services.
    Genuine attempts at improving work flow.
    They do go above and beyond when it comes to reasonable accommodations for employees.

Cons

Lack of communication.
    Things are frequently told to certain employees but not all. Changes in procedures and approved resolutions changed or were different depending on which manager/lead you spoke with.

Constantly changing procedures.
    The steps to solve an issue and what was an approved resolution would change from week to week and it was frequently not communicated to the entire team.

Steadfast, consistent employees have a tendency to be overlooked for more popular, less dedicated employees.
    Apart from the standard medical
    Issues and illnesses that come with having a young family, I was there, was late maybe twice, and always followed internal procedures. Consistent high ratings and satisfaction of my customers and yet, there were still servers other employees that were constantly distracted or neglected to do as directed, that were either allowed to continue to do so, or got stern talkings too.

There was literally a meeting added to one of the many (3+)programs that have to be opened before you can even begin to work, 2 or 3 hours before it was scheduled. I was out the door within an hour of the 15 minute meeting.

You can’t honestly tell me that this was a last minute decision. This is an issue for two reasons.

1) This could have been on the schedule more than a few hours before. At the very least, you wouldn’t have had entire departments stewing and talking to all of their co-workers desperately hoping it isn’t then or a friend that’s on the block. Especially when you put such emphasis on Houzz being a family.

2) Such an emphasis is placed on being a family and caring for each other as well as our customers. This situation is not indicative of a company that truly feels this way. Business is it’s own beast, that necessitates hard decisions, and I get that, but this entire situation came across as sneaky when the above atmosphere is such a priority.

Advice to Management

I have met Adi and Alon and I will say that they seem to be good people with a solid head on their shoulders.

However, my advice would be that if you’re gonna make these kinds of moves, and you want you employees to continue to treat each other like family and love their job, as I did, then keeping to the ideals with which you strive to run your business is key. I guarantee you, this is why people love working for you. Communication, being a good start.