Cover image for Houzz

77 Comments

Tech

564.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Houzz~716331
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Houzz? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Houzz employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The best part about this job is that you work with some truly great people.(in 155 reviews)
  • "Houzz has a great culture and values that many at the company truly believe in(in 98 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and always new oppurtunities for promotions.(in 72 reviews)
  • "Beautiful office in downtown San Diego with a look over the ballpark(in 58 reviews)
  • "Great team and office environment.(in 54 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Houzz and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee
    Featured Review

I've Never Had a Better Hob

Feb 18, 2022 - AE2
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Opportunity to Earn, Amazing Leadership, In-Depth Training, Fun Work Enviornment, Fully Remote, Growth/Promotion Potential, Great Incentives

Cons

No cons. It's the best gig I've ever had, and the first time working at a company where I'm invested in the company itself. They build a great culture that's somehow competitive and supportive. Selling and working hard is infectious. They treat us all so well. These are supposed to be cons...I love Houzz.

Houzz on Glassdoor

Wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing this! I am so glad you have found a happy home with us at Houzz and that the program we have put together has connected so well with you! If you have more to share about how we can do better, please reach out. I’d love to talk. Joey Nalevka, SVP Sales and Operations (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great working environment

Dec 1, 2022 - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly coworkers and great working environment

Cons

Sometimes work is a little too chill

3. Join the Houzz team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Spiraling DOWNHILL

Jan 27, 2023 - Account Executive in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great teammates. Remote work. That’s it

Cons

Where to start…. 1. Leads are terrible for the AE-2’s. 2. Managers only worry mostly about the higher up AE’s. 3. The 80 dials a day or 2 hours of talk time is simply outdated. 4. Saying you’re in a recorded line is a recipe for disaster. 5. There’s no opportunity here and I’ve seen over 10+ fellow colleagues get canned in the last 3 months for not hitting this absurd quota. 6. Marketing as a whole has been horrible, so bad that they ended up taking away 11 categories on Houzz. 7. The focus is software now and the software sales are significantly less than the marketing sales. (But the goal is the same) HOW DOES THAT WORK???? 8. Stay Away

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Going downhill fast

Jan 17, 2023 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the managers are great! coworkers are good people.

Cons

This isn’t a long term job. Almost all of the AE 5’s who get people calling into houzz wanting to buy have been there since day 1. They are very much trying to thin the herd. The leads they give to the AE’2 are 95% spam. You are asked to make 80 dials minimum or 2 hours of talk time. The push for the company is software and the product is middle of the pack with its competitors making it tough to sell. The lead generation side of the business is very dependent on the market which is why the push for software.

6. 5.0

Wonderful Company

Oct 28, 2022 - Sales Development Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for Houzz in the SDR position for 8 months now. It has honestly been the best company I have ever worked for. It has a very fun, upbeat environment. It is also the first company I've worked for that I have felt genuinely cared about their employees, and makes the effort to let us know. The management will do everything in their power to help you succeed while offering fun contests, early leave for great performance, and wonderful events. The company also makes a point to encourage work life balance, as well as hosting events to help us with physical and mental health. Listed below are some of my pros for working here, I have no cons and would highly recommend if you are a hard worker who wants a company that they can grow with. * Amazing culture * Great benefits * Room to grow * Wonderful management * Good work-life balance

Cons

Currently there is no cons for me

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for sharing and welcome to Houzz! Thank you also for mentioning the programs we have in place to support physical and mental health. It’s so important to feel connected when working remotely. If you have more to share or ideas for how to improve - we always want to improve - shoot me a note! Bridget Wilkerson, Director of Sales - New Business (bridget.wilkerson@houzz.com)

7. 2.0

Complete transperency

Sep 7, 2022 - Account executive 2
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work at houzz (other AE’s) are amazing. I have made true friendships even though we are complete remote.

Cons

I want to be completely transparent about my time at Houzz. Being an AE2 you are left completely on your own. You have no help from management and the leads that are given to you are 99% spam. They made it seem like getting promoted to an AE3+ was achievable and that getting paid a low base salary was temporary. But in all honesty they make it impossible to get better and to grow. My manager spends her entire day working with our AE5’s and 4’s. You know the group that gets the hottest leads. I’ve asked for help closing 3 seperate times in my time here and I get NO help. I’m a gritty person naturally, I work hard and love to succeed but there in no room for that here. Also there is absolutely no job security. If you don’t hit your goal 2 months in a row you get let go. I have seen so many good people get fired not because they weren’t capable of closing, because Houzz did not want to spend time helping them. If they would have been honest with me from the beginning I would have taken other offers I had on the table. Also the benefits SUCK . Insurance is horrible. No 401k match no ortho included. Not a place for people who need that.

8 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for the feedback. First, thank you for your words about your fellow reps. I totally agree that the people of Houzz are hands down the best part! Our training for sales reps and leadership training for managers is a point of pride for us, and your ability to grow with us is important both for our teams and for Houzz. I’m sorry your time with us has not met expectations so far, and I would very much like to hear more about your experience and what we can be doing better to support Houzzers at all levels. Our annual employee surveys have given consistent positive feedback about our benefits, so I would like to dig into that as well, so I can share the feedback with the relevant teams. Please reach out! Joey Nalevka, SVP Sales and Operations (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

8. 5.0

Great company!

Oct 24, 2022 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

-remote work, awesome schedule (6:30a-3p PST, no weekends, no holidays), promotion of remote culture to aid in connectedness of team -management is very helpful and communicative, constant coaching and feedback on how we can improve -fun workplace events (free!) You have to work hard to play hard in this role. It is definitely not for everyone. I would recommend previous sales or hospitality experience. If you take feedback well and are able to apply it to your work and effort, you will do very well in this role. It is only for 1 year, and is a great way to prepare for the Account Executive role by learning the nitty gritty.

Cons

Some lead sources aren't the greatest. It is expected in cold calling to get hostile people who don't want to talk to you, so you need a strong back bone to not take things personally/let one bad call affect your performance for the day. Hourly pay is very low. Your money really depends on your bonus earnings.

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for your feedback! I love to see people thriving at Houzz and taking part in the events that are offered. Our employee experience team has put together some great programs to keep people connected while working remotely, as you have seen! Thank you also for your feedback on leads. That is an area we are consistently working to improve. If you have more to share, please don’t hesitate to reach out anytime! Bridget Wilkerson, Director of Sales - New Business (bridget.wilkerson@houzz.com)

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

RUN AWAY

Sep 27, 2022 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

friendships that I have made here.

Cons

There are so many "cons" and a lot of reviews hit the nail on the head. But the cons that irk me the most are: Managers ONLY care about senior reps. They prioritize them over their freshly new AEs, who have NO clue what they are even doing, simply because they make managers the most money. How embarrassing still needing a manager on your call to close a sale. The top reps get the best leads no matter what. I have had several leads assigned to me and yet somehow they belong to the higher-up AEs and they get reassigned even after I did all of the hard work. You have to lie to get clients to actually buy this product. Higher reps always seem to get bigger deals but the funny thing is, those calls aren't recorded. WHY? Because they have to lie to get people to actually want to buy this product then they get praised for it. I have heard some calls, where reps have lied through their teeth and their managers do not care. It is sad that you have to lie and cheat in order to make sales. Managers push you to be aggressive to close sales but then those sales become "false sales" because clearly, the client doesn't have the means or the funds to even use this product. Then as soon as you don't hit quota you get thrown out like you are nothing and simply replaceable. and many many many more.....

4 people found this review helpful

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad you have made great friends at Houzz (me too) but, I wish your experience had been more positive. We’ve put a lot of effort and resources into improving our lead sources and into creating a best-in-class training program for onboarding new sales reps to ensure that they hit the ground running with the tools they need to be successful. Your experience doesn’t seem to jibe with that, and I would like to explore more with you about how we can improve. What you’ve described here is not in line with our expectations and the culture I expect as a leader. Please get in touch! Joey Nalevka, SVP Sales and Operations (joey.nalevka@houzz.com)

10. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great company to work at!

Jan 16, 2023 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co workers and managers are amazing people

Cons

The hours and the industry

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

SDR Review

Oct 24, 2022 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Houzz does such a great job creating a fun and healthy culture even though we are all fully remote. The managers are great and I love all my coworkers. I have nothing but great things to say about Houzz and this SDR program. Houzz is very transparent with everything, including the promotional ladder. As long as you work for them they will work for you. Being able to promote within the company is a huge perk. The perks of this job are huge too, in terms of holidays gifts and competition prizes. They really care about our work life balance. They also allow you to travel where ever and whenever, as long as you're grinding, they will let you.

Cons

There is no option to go into an office. However, there are quarterly in person events which is huge. Nice meeting people from the company in person. The base pay is not great, but if you work hard you can make up for the in commission, which is uncapped.

Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you for sharing! We’ve worked really hard to create a culture at Houzz that is supportive and collaborative and where people can thrive in their roles. Glad to see that resonating both while working remotely and in the opportunities we do provide for people to meet in person! If you have more to share about how we can do even better, please reach out! Bridget Wilkerson, Director of Sales - New Business (bridget.wilkerson@houzz.com)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,306 Reviews
</>Embed

Houzz Reviews FAQs

Houzz has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 1,402 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at Houzz to a friend and 66% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Houzz employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Houzz. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

71% of Houzz employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Houzz 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Houzz to be benefits, career development, culture and the cons to be senior leadership, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Houzz Job Seekers