Houzz Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Plus the office environment is young and fun, with a fully stocked kitchen :) (in 46 reviews)

• The work-life balance offered by Houzz exceeds most companies (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I was told that there is room for growth & no micro management (in 10 reviews)

• In reality, the day to day dynamic resembles that of a highly supervised call center (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

There has never been a day when I have not wanted to go to work since starting with Houzz. The office culture is positive and the people you meet are always kind. The work is challenging in a great way. It is very rewarding to be able to push yourself to succeed in a role that has so much to offer if you dig in and do your best every day. I have never felt more encouraged and rewarded for performing well on a consistent basis.

The greatest quality about working for Houzz is their adaptability. They are constantly working to improve day to day procedures to make things more efficient. Most importantly, every time a suggestion is made it is strongly considered. Where else can you walk in to an Upper Management office, say you have an idea, and within weeks it is put in to action? From the first day working at Houzz, management has always made it clear that they are there to help, and they've always met that goal.

Cons

I do not have any complaints.

2. "Good first job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great colleagues that turn into lasting friendships.
    - Good experience when first adapting to office life.
    - Catered lunch and breakfasts. Stocked fridges.

Cons

- Not transparent with employees.
    - You are not given a lot of autonomy in your position unless in management role.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees with more responsibility. You hire bright and creative people and are not utilizing them to their full potential.

3. "Operations"

I worked at Houzz full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and a beautiful space.

Cons

It's a fast-paced environment so expect to work a lot.

4. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This has been a great place to grow my career and get exposure to incredibly talented people. There is a strong focus on building a quality, scalable user experience.

Nice perks like meals, Caltrain passes and off sites. The office team is great.

Cons

Tons of growing pains as we figure out the best way to organize teams and solve problems.

Could benefit from more professional development across multiple departments and adopt more best practices to save from easily avoidable headaches.

Advice to Management

Employees at every level could benefit from professional development and clearer instruction. It would be great for management to get more opportunities to interact with employees of all levels.

"Disappointed - With Great Power..."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Young company with cool techie offices. Cater breakfast on Mondays and Lunch Fridays. Everyone has a different manager, but mine is really awesome. They don't micro manage you.

Cons

I have seen a mass exit from this company. It was great when I started, but now has taken everything they promised away. Since then, there has been a mass exit. They changed up everyones pay with no warning and dropped everyones pay about 9K. Set unrealistic expectations.Not worth the pay anymore. 75+ cold calls per day and constant fear for your job. If you don't mind being treated like a number, this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Orders seem to come from the top. No advice, just sad to see how everything turned out. I hope you can be more transparent with the next generation of sales people going through.

"Overall Review"

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great company culture
    -free food/fully stocked kitchen
    -good benefits

Cons

-poor management
    -no room to move up
    -no salary increases EVER

"Proceed with Caution..."

Former Employee - Marketplace in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Marketplace in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Benefits: Good health benefits with a lot of options; they don't match for 401k

-Free food: Free Monday breakfast and Friday lunch; fully stocked kitchen with snacks, fruits, cold cuts, eggs

-Coworkers: Everyone is young and this is usually their first job out of college so you get along with a good number of the people you work with. I made some amazing friends at Houzz and met people I wouldn't have met outside of work.

-Work: The work isn't too complex, which is nice at first. Easy to learn and people are willing to help you out. The shadowing really helps as well.

-Hours: Flexible hours. They are strict in terms of making sure you clock your time in an out and for lunch, but they do allow you to come in earlier and therefore leave earlier as long as 8 hours are put in.

-Team leads: Managers are a different story, but the team leads I had were AMAZING. They were genuine and a lot more transparent than Managers. It's nice because they know exactly what you're working on and are your best advocate for helping you do your job the best.

-Engineers: Weird category to have, but I have to say that the Engineering team at Houzz is tremendously small, but mighty. They have done some amazing work building out Houzz's Website, App, and all the fun features that should attract people to use the platform.

Cons

Where to begin...
    -Work: The work that you're doing is fairly mundane and doesn't have too high of a learning curve. Therefore it does get tedious at times and when your suggestions for change and improvement don't get listened to, it makes the work more frustrating.

-Teamwork: Houzz needs to better integrate the goals of the teams across the company. It was extremely difficult and frustrating to try and reach our goals or do well in competitions when the other moving parts that a team is working with, doesn't have even closely related goals as well. This conflict does not help the company cover all the bases, but rather have teams running around in their own circles with different communication focuses and not able to drive towards the single goal.

-Compensation: DON'T PAY LESS JUST BECAUSE WOMEN IS THE MAJORITY. Houzz is probably 80% women, which means I think they have a great platform to empower the women that work there and pay them fairly, if not more, for how much work they do, especially employees that go above and beyond consistently. What you get paid when you are hired is most likely going to be the pay for at least a year, year and half minimum with a possible $1-$1.5 increase. They don't do negotiations.

-Management: Imagine you walked out the front doors of college with your degree in one hand and an internship or two of experience under your belt, worked for a year at a full time job, then wow! You're a manager! Would you trust yourself? Maybe, maybe not, but with a lot of the managers at Houzz, I felt like there was a struggle for direction and good leadership. Most of the managers aren't E-commerce veterans, therefore a lot of things are up in the air when you ask questions or bring suggestions. They're learning, but I still felt like they were more lost that I was as times.

-Growth/Career: This is a hit or miss. They do open internal opportunities, but a lot of the times the moves are lateral. Occasionally there will be an opening for something you really may be passionate about, which is great! And another way to have you stay at Houzz longer. Sometimes the new position could be a negative move and not at all what you signed up for. In terms of upward growth, there isn't a ton because Managers don't tend to leave and there is some favoritism that goes into play with promotions. This adds to why the turnover is so bad and people usually leave after 1-2 years.

Advice to Management

-Pay your employees better. I think it would go a long way to provide better compensation for the work that they do and give your employees more motivation to want to stay at the company.

-Hire more industry professionals to help with the company's future growth and focus.

-Have common goals between the teams so that one team is looking to get A done, but the team they need to get A done is working on Z. Makes no sense to have such a widespread of goals when they aren't even able to be hit without the reliance on each other.

-Look into why people are leaving so frequently and have an HR that people can go to and feel comfortable to approach and ask questions rather than through your manager.

-Diversify the company beyond Sorority girls

8. "Great job"

Pros

Pretty good pay
    Great Benefits
    Cool culture
    Very young

Cons

Customer Support is a hard job

"Such an amazing career!"

Current Employee - Account Manager - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager - Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working for this company! The office culture is positive and the people you meet are always motivating and helpful. There is so much opportunity for growth and making money! Since working here I have not only had significant career growth but a large amount of personal growth as well. Houzz cares for its employees, even on a personal level. I have never felt more encouraged and rewarded for succeeding.

I love the everyday food in the kitchen, the catered food, the fun events, the prizes, the trips, the challenge, the office, the opportunity to make as much money as the work you put in, and more importantly I love the people! I highly recommend Houzz as a career in sales!

Cons

I have no cons with the company. This company is ever growing. Anytime there are concerns they are addressed and all positive suggestions are implemented quickly. This company is always trying to better itself and its employees.

Houzz Response

Jan 18, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you so much for your enthusiasm! I’m so glad you have found a home here at Houzz. We’re working hard to maintain that positive culture as we continue to grow, and your feedback is fantastic to... More

"Houzz Corporate Office - Palo Alto"

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fully stocked kitchen
     - Lots of Coffee/Tea Options
     - Walking Distance from Caltrain in Palo Alto
     - Caltrain Pass/Parking Pass is paid for by Houzz
     - Growth of business leads to new and exciting career challenges
     - Appreciate the founders and the "tone at the top" they've set for the company as a whole
     - Moving from traditional corporate to start up environment, it's a refreshing change and there are more perks to be had here than traditional corporate offices
     - If you're the only one being covered by their health benefits, they are at zero cost to the employee
     - Fun working environment
     - Office team brings in fun, random items like ice cream or shave ice station on a hot day in the summer
     - Beer & Gelato brought in every other Friday!

Cons

- No clear employment progression in fields other than engineering, to be fair, that department grows the most rapidly compared to other departments and has been around the longest
     - No year end bonus or 401k match
     - No set review program/pay raises
     - Strict no WFH guidelines

Advice to Management

- Release an employee role progression, for all teams, including opportunities available for advancement and what is needed to achieve those promotions
     - Keep maintaining the tone at the top you've worked hard to achieve!

Houzz Response

Jan 9, 2018 – Houzz on Glassdoor

Thank you so much for your review. As we've grown, we've worked to maintain the incredible culture that we are so proud of at Houzz, and the people here are such a huge part of that. Your feedback... More