Howard Hughes Medical Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 5, 2017

2.8

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Chesapeake, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. After about one week, phone interview is scheduled on the same week. After one weeks, onsite interview is scheduled to ten days later. all interview process is very smooth and friendly.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Interview

Interview was fairly streamlined but it took a very long time for a response. Left the interview feeling lukewarm about the job and didn't really talk much about exactly what I would be doing.

Interview Questions

• Asked if I had seen the facilities (work-space) yet and it was the last interview of the day   1 Answer

Research Technician I Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

First contacted by HR for phone screening. Phone screening interview consisted of 15 basic behavioral interview questions. In-person interview was 1 on 1 with the primary investigator. In-person interview was casual and conversational, going over the goals of the laboratory and PI and how my experience would fit in. I was informed at the end of the in-person interview that there would be a 2nd follow up interview with a larger panel once my references had been contacted, but this was eventually waived for me.

HR Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashburn, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Ashburn, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for a position at the Janelia Research Campus. The interview process was quite long compared to what I'm used to. The first interview lasted four hours and I met with 12 people all in all (the people were divided into groups of anywhere between 1-4 people at a time) which included most of the HR department, the lab coordinators, and a few of the technical staff. The next day I was asked to set up a second interview at HQ in Bethesda, which was another four hours. This time I met with five different people in different departments. The staff was overall quite friendly, however their interview process was exhausting and each interviewer asked if I had questions for them. I ended up running out of questions to ask because I was meeting with so many people. The organization seems great, but the interview process could use an overhaul. I don't think I'd apply there again if I were to have to go through the same process.

Interview Questions

• I wish I could remember the questions, but after interviewing with nearly 20 people there's nothing that stands out in my mind.   Answer Question

Senior Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Chevy Chase, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position on HHMI's career site and received a phone screen request the next day. Invited to come on campus after the phone screen. It took a few weeks to schedule as it was over the 4th of July holiday. I came on site for 2 interviews. The first round was with my potential supervisor and coworkers. Second round was with the CHRO. Streamlined interview process and everyone was excited to work at HHMI.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Ashburn, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was hosted at at the on-campus hotel. I gave a presentation which was attended by most people I would later interview with. I was interviewed one-on-one with each grouper lead and most of the team members.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what I like about science or basic research   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Fairfax, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was first contacted by the recruiter and he told me about the position and the company. References where required, and after that the recruiter set up an interview. The interview happened over the phone and lasted for about thirty minutes.

Interview Questions

• 3D modeling and printing, machining, and relevant experiences on resume.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Interview

Phone Screening with recruiter, then phone conversation with hiring manager, then face to face with hiring manager again, hr manager and other staff. Everyone was super friendly and knowledgeable

Interview Questions

• What is your management style   1 Answer

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Ashburn, VA).

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in-person interview. Phone interview scheduled less than a week after I applied, in-person a week after the phone interview. Very pleasant and friendly people, very timely in notifying me about the status of the position.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this project?
      What other interests do you have?
      What in your previous experience do you think would be helpful to you in this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They met my minimum requirement.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashburn, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Ashburn, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

Interview was for Software Engineer at the Janelia Research Campus*

Applied online was asked to schedule a phone interview within a week. Several developers sat in on the initial phone interview. I was asked about the software development projects I had on my resume and also several technical questions on Python, the Python Flask web framework, javascript, and SQL (all skills which I had listed on my resume). I was not well prepared for the interview so I tripped up on a good deal of the Flask, javascript, and SQL questions.

A week later I received an on-site interview offer that would involve both meeting the team and also giving a 15-20 min. presentation on a previous software development project followed by a Q&A session. Unfortunately I was not able to complete the on-site due to scheduling issues.

Interview Questions

• What is the purpose of indexing when working with databases?   Answer Question
    • Why is it not a good idea to loop through all the properties in a javascript object?   Answer Question
    • What does "enumerate" do in Python?   Answer Question