Howard Hughes Medical Institute Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2020

To filter interviews, or .
Found 54 of over 54 interviews

Other8%
2.7
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (United States)

Interview

This was by far the most professional interview I've had for a research assistant position. The hiring manager did ask me questions about times that I had failed or succeeded, and several more nitty gritty questions than were otherwise asked when I have interviewed with PIs

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time that your experiment or assay failed- how did you deal with that?
    Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2020

Interview

I had the telephone interview and was a good experience. the interviewer was friendly and was answering all the questions i had. She was patient and was accomodating of my available time. I am located in australia and they took care of the time difference properly.

Interview Questions
  • They asked about when can i join, do i need visa and why i want to join. General questions.

Anonymous Employee in United States

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (United States)

Interview

The hr team first reached out to schedule a 30 minutes phone call with the hiring manager. After that, I had a onsite group interview with the whole team for about 1 hour.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in United States

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (United States) in Oct 2019

Interview

This was one of the most thorough screenings I have ever had. I have been a hiring manager for many open reqs, and I myself have had my share of interviews. The recruiter who contacted me knew his stuff, he seems to know as much about the position as the hiring manager, which tells me that they do their due diligence on handing job requisitions over to the recruiters. I was not even all that excited about the position before I spoke with the recruiter. He would make an excellent sales rep because after the phone screen he had me sold. After the phone screen I met with the hiring manager, then I had a set of four additional interviews with the peers of the position, as well as the Chief of the department. Again, I could not have been more impressed! Of course the basic behavioral situational style questions were asked, but they also did a great job listening to my story, and making me feel very comfortable. The process was smooth, and left me with a great deal of excitement over becoming part of such a wonderful organization. When I finally received the job offer I wasted no time accepting.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Application

Interview

I submitted an application online and got an email within a couple of weeks. They wanted to schedule a phone interview. The person that interviewed me was professional and appropriate. I thought the interview went very well. I was told they would contact me within a week, but they took much longer. In fact, I inquired by email asking about the status of my application a couple of times within a month more or less. They later replied saying they decided to proceed with another candidate. No feedback was given.

Interview Questions
  • They asked me about my background, if I had experience with blogging, what my ideal salary was, and when I could start.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashburn, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Ashburn, VA)

Interview

I was emailed to schedule a phone interview shortly after applying. The phone interview consisted of some situational questions but mostly focused on my experience and how it would benefit HHMI. I was told that I would hear back within 2 weeks. That was 6 weeks ago...

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in United States

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (United States)

Interview

First there was a phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes. It was a very basic interview asking about my previous research experience and then describing what the position entailed. Exactly one week after the phone interview, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview a week and a half later. The in person interview had other candidates as well. We had about 10-15 minute interviews different individuals. The questions were not really difficult at all and mostly the individuals shared more information about the position. We also practiced the work we were being hired to do for about an hour. Two weeks after the interview, I got a job offer. The Whole process took over 2 months.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashburn, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Ashburn, VA)

Interview

Phone interview system First interview- 15 min with recruiter Second interview- 30 min with team manager The process went well, the interviewers were all polite and interested. They always asked if you had questions and explained their answers very well.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about your prior lab experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (United States)

Interview

Interviews began with a third party agency rep conducting the search, then moved to interview with the Chief of People & Culture, then finished with various leaders the position would be working with in the role.

Interview Questions
  • The interview with the Chief of People & Culture was focused on her idea of me moving around in my career although I've been with my last two companies for 9 and 10 years ... yet it was HER career that seems to move from company to company after 2 or 3 years.
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Chevy Chase, MD) in Jan 2019

Interview

Phone screening followed by In-Person interview followed by a lunch in their cafeteria (which I guess is the personality test) They asked for code samples beforehand, but I don't really code much outside the workplace -- and the code in the workplace is proprietary. The interview had about 8 or 9 team members drupal developers, designers, leads, agile, infrastructure and the PM. I was expecting a mess -- and pretty much got it. Each asked a question. The questions were very general to the point of me waiting for the 'real interview' to begin. Not at all conducive to evaluating someone's expertise. The PM seemed very stuffy, but I did interview at Howard Hughes ten years earlier and that seems par for the course. From one of the lead developers I got one of the lamest questions I've every had for a Drupal interview. He asked 'Do you know entities?' And this was toward the end of the interview. He also talked about how he was trying to introduce Late Static Binding to some of the underlying classes in the Drupal 7 sites to promote reusability of code. Sounds like they are over-engineering their applications. The same guy likes to look at every line of code everyone checks in. This struck me as a little annoying. I've worked on teams where you don't look at every line of everyone's code and you still produce quality applications. I got the impression this guy's word was the most important and he would ask a question and then kind of fidget as I answered. I was not particularly impressed either -- also I was sitting on an offer I received the day before as a full time with a higher salary. I did not get an offer from this place, but had no intention of accepting since the other offer was not contract to hire and was for much more money. Their feedback that went to my recruiter was both insulting and arrogant -- but HHMI is a Utopia so I think they wanted to at least enlighten the applicant as they show you the door. They said I struggled to provide detail on what I had done. I guess they struggled as well to provide a quality Drupal interview. Total waste of time. Building is overrated -- sort of isolated and stale.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 54 Interviews