Howard Hughes Medical Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 10, 2018

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashburn, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Ashburn, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

Interview was for Software Engineer at the Janelia Research Campus*

Applied online was asked to schedule a phone interview within a week. Several developers sat in on the initial phone interview. I was asked about the software development projects I had on my resume and also several technical questions on Python, the Python Flask web framework, javascript, and SQL (all skills which I had listed on my resume). I was not well prepared for the interview so I tripped up on a good deal of the Flask, javascript, and SQL questions.

A week later I received an on-site interview offer that would involve both meeting the team and also giving a 15-20 min. presentation on a previous software development project followed by a Q&A session. Unfortunately I was not able to complete the on-site due to scheduling issues.

Interview Questions

• What is the purpose of indexing when working with databases?   Answer Question
    • Why is it not a good idea to loop through all the properties in a javascript object?   Answer Question
    • What does "enumerate" do in Python?   Answer Question

Lab Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in March 2015.

Interview

Lots of questions. Meet lots of people. Walked a lot. Went from office to office. It was a long day. I didn't want to have to spend another day doing the same thing. Thankfully It didn't have too.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever done this before?   1 Answer

I didn't like the offer.

Media Tech Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Interview

Short quick basic questions offered in person interview. Basic questions about dilution and molarity. Why are you best for this position first grade stuff. What do you consider service describe your strong suits

Interview Questions

• What's customer service to you
      Make a 1 molar solution using 10 molar solution.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Chapel Hill, NC) in March 2013.

Interview

It was really easy. I applied online. The application consisted of general questions regarding gpa, course work, research experience and one essay about a significant research project you worked on. The interview was informal. The interviewer wasn't dressed formally and she asked only asked general behavioral questions and asked about one previous research project.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to gain from the internship?   1 Answer

Senior Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Chevy Chase, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

Where to begin, when describing one of the more unorthodox (and frankly, off-putting) interviewing experiences I’ve had in years? What initially appeared to be a great opportunity was revealed, over the course of several conversations during a lengthy interview process, to be a potentially Sisyphean endeavor in an organization with many significant issues. Below, I describe some of what I learned, with actual quotes from my interviewers.

Perhaps, like me, you will seriously question whether you could work for an organization that “doesn’t believe in having a strategy” or operating goals (“because we have so much money”). Therefore, I wasn’t surprised to learn that millions have been wasted on ill-conceived and poorly executed projects.

HHMI aspires to attract and retain great talent, yet some of its practices don't seem to support this. During my interviews, I was warned, “there’s no career path for this role.” “the pay here isn’t competitive,” and “titles here are deflated.” Obviously, engagement is about more than just those things, but they are factors nonetheless.

While most of the nine individuals I met with seemed sharp, engaged, and strategic, and nearly all cited “the people” as what they love most about working at HHMI, I also heard them describe “mean-girl cliques,” a “double standard” by leadership around rewarding vs. punishing risk/failure, and an environment that’s both “highly political” and “extremely hierarchical.” I also found it unprofessional that what I consider to be confidential information (desired salary range) was shared beyond the hiring manager and HR. One interviewer felt compelled to mention it to me, after seeing it noted in my cover letter.

Needless to say, I am not at all sorry to have not received an offer. I would have been hard pressed to accept one after everything I learned and experienced during the interview process. While HHMI is engaged in impressive scientific work, it still has much to improve on both culturally and organizationally.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel about working for an organization that doesn't have a clear strategy or direction?   1 Answer

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Ashburn, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with HR that was followed by a long waiting time for their response. Then, the in-person interview had 2 rounds that consisted of a group panel interview with team members and another with the manager and acting manager.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the financial systems you are comfortable using?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Interview

Submit resume and coverletter to PI any time, if he/she is interested in you, then, normally Skype -> on-site interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It is usually determined. HHMI offers one of the best benefits in the States. Salary is not that negotiable.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Chevy Chase, MD) in January 2012.

Interview

I came in for 3 separate interviews...1)Recruiter + Manager, 2) Recruiter + Manager + Department, 3) Recruiter + Manager + Associate Director + VP. It was time consuming since I was working and had to take off each time, I wish it was more organized.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Senior Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Chevy Chase, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position on HHMI's career site and received a phone screen request the next day. Invited to come on campus after the phone screen. It took a few weeks to schedule as it was over the 4th of July holiday. I came on site for 2 interviews. The first round was with my potential supervisor and coworkers. Second round was with the CHRO. Streamlined interview process and everyone was excited to work at HHMI.

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Osos, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Los Osos, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

Be prepared to fill out an application