ID Analytics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ID Analytics Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2017

3.4

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ID Analytics in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty extensive. There were multiple interview rounds.
    The first round was a data challenge which tested the candidate's proficiency in using Python or R for data cleaning and preprocessing.
    The second round was a phone screen (45 - 60 mints) with a Data Scientist. There were questions about my previous data science related work, basic statistics questions, few questions on software engineering fundamentals, machine learning basics. Overall the difficulty level was moderate. The focus was on checking fundamentals.
    The third round was another phone screen (45 - 60 mints) with a Sr. Data Scientist. This round was more technical and mostly the discussion was around machine learning algorithms and their limitations.
    Next was onsite at ID's San Diego office. 4 rounds of panel interviews (45 - 60 mints each) with team members and a one-on-one (non-technical) with hiring manager over lunch. All onsite interviews (except with hiring manager) were very technical, focusing on machine learning, programming, statistics, mathematics, map-reduce paradigm, and past work.

Overall my experience was very good. All people I met were very respectful, friendly and courteous. All the interviews were more like discussions rather than typical interrogations. Wherever I got struck I was given hints, which I was able to pick and move ahead.
    Tips:
    1. Make sure you know everything mentioned on your resume in good detail.
    2. Brush up your machine learning and statistics fundamentals.

Interview Questions

• Explain how kNN (k nearest neighbor) algorithm works and compute its complexity.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ID Analytics (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First Round is a phone round with introductory and behavioral Questions. Second round in a HR phone interview which is technical and resume related. I was asked to describe my coursework and projects listed in the resume. Technical Questions covered Java, Data structures, UNIX, SQL, OOP concepts. The next is an on site interview I am yet to face.

Interview Questions

• Difference between abstract class and Interface.   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ID Analytics.

Interview

That was an amazingly bad in-person interview experience. I do not know how I made it through two rounds of phone interviews to arrive on site as such a poor fit with the company. ID Analytics is an academic environment, and my experience is primarily in a business environment. In my previous positions, my role has been understanding and implementing solutions quickly with a focus on delivering the maximum value according to a deadline. I am an 80/20 person, and ID Analytics interviews for a 100% person as if this were a PhD qualifying exam. My impression is that candidates who are freshly minted PhD’s or have come directly from academic work would fit in very well here.

I met with 13 people over 8 hours without any time allotted for lunch. They handed out lunch orders to everyone in the room, and I was handed whatever was left, without any regard for my choice or dietary restrictions. They continued to ask me questions while I stood at the whiteboard, and I was expected to eat during this. It was painful, and overwhelmingly disrespectful. I have been through, and done well at, many difficult interview processes through the years. The best ones maintain respect for candidates while simultaneously looking to understand the limits of their knowledge. The worst, and this was the worst by far, seem to find enjoyment in pointing out every flaw in a candidates understanding.

I put aside 10+ hours of time to interview with them (plus prep time). The next day I sent a follow-up thank you email, and I never heard from them again. I assume I didn’t get the job, but I would have appreciated the courtesy of letting me know.

Interview Questions

• Write a function on the whiteboard to implement neural networks   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ID Analytics (San Diego, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online.Got a call in a week.
    First round is a Telephonic interview focused on my Background and Technical Skills.
    Next is an Onsite interview(4 rounds of interview with different people in the team)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ID Analytics (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online through Glassdoor and had the first behavioral phone call a week later. Another week later, had a technical phone interview. Passed both then had a 2 hour onsite interview with the recruiter, project manager, and two software engineers. The interview process was very professional and organized. The only problem was is that the position they were offering was much different than the position that was posted, thus yielding different questions than was expected. No biggie though.

Interview Questions

• Find a value in an array, implement binary search, find max value in Java, find max value in Python, fizz buzz, find the nth number in a fibonacci sequence. Also asked questions regarding unix commands and basic data structures.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ID Analytics.

Interview

Was refereed by friend, received a call from HR asking about background and fit. 1st phone interview was with a data scientist which asked various questions in sampling, unix commands, machine learning etc, also some puzzle , overall lasted an hour. After a week later got a 2nd phone interview from senior level data scientist whose voice was pretty thick and difficult to comprehend, but was asked machine learning questions, concepts of boosting and boostrap aggregation and communication entropy theory. After this got in onsite round full day 8-5, started with 1 hour presentation of your current work. Interviews were focused on technical questions and almost everybody was asking lot of questions. I was lil tired of speaking the whole day from 8, at 3 pm, had interview with data scientists who were trying to play good/bad cop, one of which started talking in loud voice and giving difficult questions. It ended at 5pm. It was very exhausting experience. Every interview was good apart from that good/bad cop one. After the interview, contacted with HR and hiring manager who said they are waiting for other people for interviews and should take 2 weeks. Contacted them after 2 weeks, they said again 2 weeks , and so forth, they were just not ready to give a decision until i got offer from another company and i asked a response in which they said, they already decided on a candidate.I felt bad not about not getting selected but the time i invested in the company giving 3 telephonic interview, preparing seminar and taking day off and company never bothered to give a firm decision and was delaying the decision forever.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ID Analytics.

Interview

Had an initial easy phone screen with recruiter. The recruiter was nice and just asked me questions to see if I would be a good fit and if my skills met the qualifications for the position. The phone screen went well and the recruiter scheduled a phone screen with me and an engineering director.

The next phone screen consisted of mostly technical questions, and a some questions about my experience. The technical questions were basic data structure, OOP questions. He had a bit of an accent, but I could understand him well enough. Few days later the recruiter contacted me telling me that I passed the phone screen and that I would be having another technical phone screen with a more junior member of the team (but still a manager).

She had a horribly thick accent, and this time I only understood a couple of her questions. She thought I was really dumb because I could not understand her. I asked her to repeat the questions, or speak more slowly. But I'll be honest, even after she did, I still could not understand what words she was saying. Of the couple questions I could understand, she did not ask me hard questions. They were of the same difficulty as the previous phone screen. She was very upset with me during the phone call because I kept asking her to repeat. Unfortunately, I received an email from a recruiter couple days later saying I did not pass.

Interview Questions

• basic data structure, OOP - "Explain abstraction and what it's used for"   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ID Analytics (San Diego, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Very thorough, met with 12 people in all. After I was onboard I better understood the collaborative nature and rating systems used to determine whether there was a fit. Much focus on culture, enthusiasm paired with in depth project management knowledge. The interviewers were passionate and very intelligent and they were looking for the same in a prospective employee.

Interview Questions

• How do you quantify a successful project? What metrics?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none - you got an offer and either you accepted it or not. Only negotiation was the start date.

Analytics Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ID Analytics (San Diego, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

It started with a phone call from the hiring manager. He asked a few technical questions to gauge my aptitude for object oriented programming and statistics.
    This was followed up a few days later by an invitation to come on-site for an in-person day-long visit consisting of a presentation by me followed by a series of one-on-ones and panel interviews with the various members of the analytics team as well as some from the marketing dept.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a recursive algorithm to merge two arbitrary lists of lists into one such that the first element of each sublist in the second list is prepended to the front of each sublist in the first.   Answer Question
    • Describe why the Kullback-Liebler divergence is often more sensitive than the Kolmogorov-Smirnov statistic when comparing distributions when one distribution has a much smaller number of degrees of freedom than the other   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ID Analytics (San Diego, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

Was contacted by a very disinterested HR representative who asked me about my background then read 2 technical questions to me. A week later i was contacted by a very technical person who asked me a wide range of technical questions and was very professional. About 2 weeks later I was invited to go on-site to meet the staff. A few probing questions but mostly to see if it was a fit for the team. Over all a little disorganized but ok process.

Interview Questions

• In your cellar there are three light switches in the OFF position. Each switch controls 1 of 3 light bulbs on the floor above. You may move any of the switches but you may only go upstairs to inspect the bulbs one time. How can you determine the switch for each bulb with one inspection??   2 Answers
    • have you ever had to deal with a difficult co-worker? Explain in detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They will extremely low ball you anticipating that you will negotiate up to market level. They wont go above market.