IDEO Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 12, 2017

3.1

Lead User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IDEO (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I submitted an application and cover letter via IDEO's website. I was thrilled to get a response, as I know it's very competitive. I was invited in for an in-person interview in their NYC office. The interview scheduling and coordination was courteous and professional.

In the interview, I met with two designers and one design director. I walked the team through 2 case studies. All interviewers were thoughtful and asked great questions about my work. While I did not receive an offer, the interview was a great opportunity to talk with IDEO designers and directors, get feedback on my work, and see their offices. These folks were all very nice and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say.

Interview Questions

• How did you determine the research methods used for this example project?   Answer Question

Interaction Design Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IDEO in April 2017.

Interview

3 total levels. 1 - 30min phone call with HR. 2 - 1hr webcam interview with two people within the team. 3 - 45min webcam interview with two other teammates. HR was just to get to know me, the following two interviews were me describing my work and process.

The first two interviews were great, with great, happy people and I really would have enjoyed spending my working day with them. The final interview was with 2 people that seemed like they didn't enjoy their job, were tired, and not excited to be speaking with me because I was interrupting their schedule. The one lady kept glancing at the clock every time I began with my answer to her question. This affected my performance negatively, as I felt unimportant.

HR was so great, can't say enough. She called me afterwards and let me know why I wasn't getting an offer, and I already knew the reason.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IDEO (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Remote interview where everyone called into an online platform. HR initially contacted me to schedule the interview. Then, connected with point person within the team. The individual who interviewed me was not professional in addition to being cold. It was an odd experience and seemed to have an air of entitlement. It was off-putting and left a sour taste in my mouth. IDEO is known in the design field as being revolutionary; however, its various hiring practices are frayed and not human-centered. If arrogance was not part of the formula, I would have left holding IDEO to high regard. But, no longer. (This was my fourth interview with them. Two others I willingly bowed out due to poor experience)

Interview Questions

• Talk about your background, your experiences, how you approached hurdles, what your perception of design is   Answer Question

Senior User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IDEO (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

After submitting a cover letter and resume, along with the name of someone inside who referred me, I received a message from an internal recruiter asking for my availability for a 30 minute video screener (even though I live 20 minutes from the office). We matched up a time and they replied with another message telling me who would be interviewing me. I was given two names. I researched both of them. I was especially excited to meet one of the people in the interview (she did amazing work). When I was connected, it turned out the person I was most excited about couldn't make it so the interview was with one person. She was in the far end of a totally white and echo-y room. I could barely see her face.She was clearly busy with other things and did not seem very happy to be in the meeting. She was looking at my cv when we first started speaking. She started out straight away with questions, no check in or warming up. It felt difficult to connect at any human level. My heart sunk immediately - and I was thrown off my game. I could feel it. I just wasn't my usual self, probably because I am used to feeding off the energy of the connection with the person I'm talking to. After a few questions I could feel it wasn't going well. I checked in at the end to see if she felt there was a fit and she did not. The reason she gave was that I hadn't identified techniques that she would have expected. What I remember is that I didn't use the IDEO specific terminology but did give examples similar to what she told me she would have expected my answer to be. In retrospect, it may not have had the depth she was looking for - perhaps there were some things to learn but I don't feel certain the gap was so large it was a deal breaker. I have pretty extensive background in design thinking and consulting at a senior level - I'm pretty sure we should have gone at least one more round.

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate a team to think creatively about a problem they were stuck on?   Answer Question

Communications Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IDEO (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

A few days after a long discussion with a lead designer at my University's recruitment event, I jumped on a video interview with one of IDEO's recruitment leads and two other lead designers.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe the thought and working process that went into developing your visual identity for a project in your portfolio? (They specified which project to speak about)   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiations took place over e-mail with a very helpful and friendly recruitment lead at the SF office.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IDEO (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through a referral and the whole process took just over a month. I had two phone interviews before I was asked to come in to the office and interview. I interviewed with three different individuals - all were extremely warm, kind, and easy to talk to. I didn't feel like I was being "grilled" by any means. They stressed the importance of a culture fit and that they wanted someone fun, kind, and intelligent. After my final in-person interview I was told they would get back to me very soon. They followed up with an email letting me know that they were still interviewing for the position but that they would let me know as soon as they'd made a decision. A week and a half later they called me to offer me the job.

Interview Questions

• What previous experiences have prepared you for this particular role? Why do you think you would be a good fit here at IDEO?   Answer Question

Design Research Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IDEO (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

1. Screening call with Studio manager
    2. Homework assignment (prepare a research plan for a hypothetical client project)
    3. Presentation of homework assignment during in-person interview with two design team members. Afterward we had a discussion about my presentation and they asked me additional questions about my skills, experience, and expectations.

Interview Questions

• After I presented my research plan, I was asked how I would involve the client and stakeholders in the research process.   Answer Question

IT Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IDEO (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online. They responded within a week. The first step is a phone interview with the manager. Seemed promising, but the onsite interview felt like they were looking for a friend not an employee. They asked questions that I thought were inappropriate for any company to ask. (What cocktail would you make for the team?) Culture fit is one thing, but to assume you drink is another matter.

Interview Questions

• Q. What would you cook for the team?
      Q. What cocktail would you make for the team?
      Q. What would you do if you knew we were deliberately breaking company policy?   Answer Question

IDEO Response

Sep 22, 2016 – Senior Talent Lead

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We take feedback seriously and appreciate your honesty.

Our goals are to identify qualified candidates, and to treat everyone who crosses paths with... More

Leadership Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IDEO (New York, NY).

Interview

IDEO's interview process was one of the best experiences I've had in my entire professional career. I applied online, received an email invitation for a phone interview, which was followed up with an on-site interview about a week later. HR was clear, professional and very organized throughout the entire process. The team was professional, passionate about the work, smart and were just a really great group of people. I was able to get a sense of the company culture right away and although they work hard, they make a point to have fun as well, which was highly impressive. Keep up the good work!!

Senior Visual Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IDEO.

Interview

Start with very basic self introduction, and then they review my portfolio, I introduce most of my works, and they ask questions about my design process. They also ask my salary expectation and current salary.