IDEO Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at IDEO

3.1

Sort:

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IDEO.

Interview

The interview was scheduled relatively quick. The recruiter had me do a very labor intensive project along with submitting a project to the Open Ideo platform. I didn't hear back from them for a while and when I did, it was a generic response. I put a lot of work into the projects and would have appreciated feedback on the project and the interview. I don't think it's fair to ask an interviewee to do a 5+ hour project and never bring it up in the interview.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IDEO (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

They got to me within few hours to schedule an interview, we scheduled a google hangouts 5 days later. The interview lasted 8 minutes in which they asked about my availability and declined based on that. Extremely frustrating since I indicated my availability in my cover letter. I felt like no one read my cover letter - Why ask for it? And why ask for an interview?

The lady who interviewed me was really nice, but I have two pieces of feedback for her:
    - Start with intro questions to make the interviewee feel comfortable.
    - Wait until you hear the full answer; I was having a hard time connecting my own life story together with the scattered and quick questions I was being asked. Perhaps try to slow the phase down, interviews are inherently stressful!

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IDEO (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was not handled smoothly and left me feeling very disappointed. The recruiter initially suggested a Friday and then, after I agreed, emailed again to offer a Monday slot. I agreed a second time and then the confirmation email included a time that was 30 minutes later than we had agreed upon in the email, so I had to email back again to confirm the correct time. After the in-person interview, I sent a "Thank You" email and then never heard from IDEO again for ONE MONTH! I emailed the recruiter after 30 days had passed to check in and jog her memory and only then did the recruiter respond with a "Thank you for your interest" email - but she also got my name wrong in that email! I cannot say enough how the lack of attention to detail and careless treatment can make a candidate feel unvalued and does not line up with what I had expected from a company like IDEO.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in previous jobs that matches up with the job description?   Answer Question

Lead User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IDEO (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I submitted an application and cover letter via IDEO's website. I was thrilled to get a response, as I know it's very competitive. I was invited in for an in-person interview in their NYC office. The interview scheduling and coordination was courteous and professional.

In the interview, I met with two designers and one design director. I walked the team through 2 case studies. All interviewers were thoughtful and asked great questions about my work. While I did not receive an offer, the interview was a great opportunity to talk with IDEO designers and directors, get feedback on my work, and see their offices. These folks were all very nice and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say.

Interview Questions

• How did you determine the research methods used for this example project?   Answer Question

Lead Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at IDEO (San Francisco, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I spoke with 2 HR people two separate times, then spoke with a designer and then spoke with two directors designers. The process was very casual. I had to go through a couple of projects- show process, results, and next stages. The interviews were very spaced out. It was very difficult to tell what they were thinking. Everything seemed to go well but in the end didn't land the job. Got a nice letter telling me to apply in the future 6 months to year.

Interview Questions

• Describe your research methods.   1 Answer

IT Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IDEO (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online. They responded within a week. The first step is a phone interview with the manager. Seemed promising, but the onsite interview felt like they were looking for a friend not an employee. They asked questions that I thought were inappropriate for any company to ask. (What cocktail would you make for the team?) Culture fit is one thing, but to assume you drink is another matter.

Interview Questions

• Q. What would you cook for the team?
      Q. What cocktail would you make for the team?
      Q. What would you do if you knew we were deliberately breaking company policy?   Answer Question

IDEO Response

Sep 22, 2016 – Senior Talent Lead

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We take feedback seriously and appreciate your honesty.

Our goals are to identify qualified candidates, and to treat everyone who crosses paths with... More

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IDEO in April 2016.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter followed by two designers, they were all very nice and it was pleasant talking to them. They were rather slow at coming back to me, which was the biggest downside.

Senior User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IDEO (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

After submitting a cover letter and resume, along with the name of someone inside who referred me, I received a message from an internal recruiter asking for my availability for a 30 minute video screener (even though I live 20 minutes from the office). We matched up a time and they replied with another message telling me who would be interviewing me. I was given two names. I researched both of them. I was especially excited to meet one of the people in the interview (she did amazing work). When I was connected, it turned out the person I was most excited about couldn't make it so the interview was with one person. She was in the far end of a totally white and echo-y room. I could barely see her face.She was clearly busy with other things and did not seem very happy to be in the meeting. She was looking at my cv when we first started speaking. She started out straight away with questions, no check in or warming up. It felt difficult to connect at any human level. My heart sunk immediately - and I was thrown off my game. I could feel it. I just wasn't my usual self, probably because I am used to feeding off the energy of the connection with the person I'm talking to. After a few questions I could feel it wasn't going well. I checked in at the end to see if she felt there was a fit and she did not. The reason she gave was that I hadn't identified techniques that she would have expected. What I remember is that I didn't use the IDEO specific terminology but did give examples similar to what she told me she would have expected my answer to be. In retrospect, it may not have had the depth she was looking for - perhaps there were some things to learn but I don't feel certain the gap was so large it was a deal breaker. I have pretty extensive background in design thinking and consulting at a senior level - I'm pretty sure we should have gone at least one more round.

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate a team to think creatively about a problem they were stuck on?   Answer Question

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IDEO (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

Asked me a series of technical related questions, which helped determine my skill level and problem solving process. Also, they asked me questions, which helped them to determine my ability fit into the team and its unique dynamics.

Interview Questions

• Someone in Senior Management needs to print a document, but is in a rush. What would you do to take care of the problem   1 Answer

Business Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IDEO (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The initial response was slow. Then the interviewer was not aware that he/she had an interview scheduled with me. When the call eventually happened, the interviewer was rushed and didn't really do a good job. In general, it was not a very professional experience.

Interview Questions

• You have a diverse background, but what do you really want to be doing.   1 Answer