75% would recommend to a friend
(259 total reviews)
Found 259 of over 315 reviews
Updated Nov 27, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Some great people are what make it worthwhile." (in 58 reviews)
- "Offers designers a great culture and the chance to work on interesting challenges in a range of industries." (in 42 reviews)
- "Great colleagues you'll want to hang out with on the weekends" (in 12 reviews)
- "Great work life balance." (in 9 reviews)
- "Everyone is super nice" (in 8 reviews)
- "averse leadership, low tolerance to failure." (in 19 reviews)
- "Low pay compared to other comparable roles" (in 17 reviews)
- "Salary feels low for Silicon Valley" (in 11 reviews)
- "cExtreme nepotism" (in 5 reviews)
- "If you are old(er), raising a family, and have outside experience to know your boundaries on how much work (and bad management) should impose" (in 5 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of IDEO and is not affected by filters.
- 5.0Sep 28, 2023Senior Mechanical EngineerFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsPalo Alto, CA
I loved working at IDEO it was amazing! Best experience in the world
Sometimes the projects that I worked on didn't get made by clients in the end, but this is normal.
- 1.0Nov 27, 2023Data ScienceFormer Employee, more than 5 years
the brand name lets it attract amazing people to work there still
the business model just doesn't work anymore and the company is constantly cycling through leadership and organizational structure changes.
- 3.0Aug 28, 2023Associate DirectorFormer Employee, more than 5 years
Smart, interesting people who are care about each other Opportunities to work on interesting projects If you're director+, some ability to manage your time and schedule Great benefits (lots of vacation, L&D budget) somewhat made up for lower pay
Failing business model (high cost relative to peers makes it hard to win work, especially given the commoditization of design, and organizational changes during the pandemic years made things worse) The website has the most interesting projects - don't think that all of them are about changing the world (most are not) Needs more rigor for the kinds of global challenges the org wants to take on Top leadership not accountable to business results or great at strategy Work driven by slack and too many meetings, can often be frantic (see Cal Newport's "hyperactive hive mind")3
- 5.0Sep 12, 2023Sr. Design LeadFormer Employee, more than 10 yearsSan Francisco, CA
Outstanding people to work with and extensive supportive network of current and former employees. Supportive of growth and stretching yourself. A lot of variety of domains if that’s what you want. IDEO experience is often a ticket to amazing opportunities to follow.
High cost means clients have high expectations. Often can’t follow through so work dies on the vine on client side. Need to promote yourself and build relationships with leaders or you will have trouble advancing. Leadership tries to do the right thing but can be chaotic and inconsistent.2
- 2.0Oct 4, 2023Senior ManagerFormer Employee, more than 8 yearsChicago, IL
Was a great place to be autonomously creative
Constant layoffs of the last four years, many of which have not been discussed or made public5
- 4.0Oct 8, 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 3 years
These people are the best, smartest, most exceptional people on planet earth
Designers don’t know operations. They fudged it for awhile but pandemic and post has exploited those cracks and left some pretty big gaping wounds.2
- 4.0Sep 25, 2023Design LeadFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsSan Francisco, CA
Incredible colleagues Fun work culture
Tendency for employees to burnout Clients sometimes range from uninspiring to problematic1
- 3.0Sep 28, 2023Senior Design LeadFormer EmployeeSan Francisco, CA
People, people, people. True asset of IDEO.
Leadership is too idealistic and disconnected with the real world.1
- 4.0Sep 17, 2023Industrial DesignerFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsCalifornia City, CA
Flexibility in Time Management Collaboration with Intelligent Colleagues Diverse Range of Projects Opportunities for Learning Supportive boss
High Workload Limited Project Depth Lack of Transparency Independent Learning
IDEO Reviews FAQs
IDEO has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 315 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at IDEO to a friend and 33% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -8% over the last 12 months.
75% of IDEO employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated IDEO 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.