ISN Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ISN Software Interview Questions

Interviews at ISN Software

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ISN Software (Dallas, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

They did an initial round on campus interview that was more of a group get together. The next day, we had one on one interviews with two recruiters. Then selections were made for a second round interview in Dallas. Candidates were flown out from all over the country. This consisted of presentations about the company - think of a college open house with various sessions. Part of this was a speed dating interview. Room set up with dozens of current employees and you had to meet with 5 or more for about 10 to 15 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember my specific question. but remember someone was asked how many quarters it would take to reach the height of the empire state building. When the candidates reviewed questions, it really varied depending on your interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I think their offers are pretty firm because they bring in a cohort.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ISN Software (Dallas, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

3 Step Process

1: Get to know each other near a restaurant on campus.
    2: On campus interview.
    3: Highly competitive process in Dallas where they put you up at the Omni Hotel. You interview with 9 upper level managers in speed dating fashion. There were 170 people at this recruiting event and every single one of them is outstanding in their own right, there were no chumps or pushovers. Your competition is from everywhere from Princeton University, Vanderbilt, Texas Christian University, NYU, Columbia, Texas, etc. I believe they accept around 30% from the highly talented pool. From meeting ISN employees, this is a very "cool" company to work for. Almost every single individual I met was physically attractive and very well spoken. Definitely a work hard play hard culture. If you were "cool" in college aka were in frat/sorority or played sports you will fit in very well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. There starting salary is way above average.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ISN Software in February 2013.

Interview

I had my initial interview in an on-campus interview. It was a very casual, quick interview. I talked with three people and they asked very basic questions about my background, goals, etc.

The second round interview was a tad overwhelming. There were 170 candidates there (about 50 for intern positions and 120 for full-time). Granted, they were hiring a mass amount of candidates (probably at least 40). We were treated extremely well. There was a social the first night (beer & wine). We were on our own for dinner (to be reimbursed up to $30), and we were put up at the Omni for the night. The interview took place at the Omni in four sessions. There were two informational sessions, a Q&A session with younger employees, and an interview session. The interview session is like "speed dating." I went through 9 five-minute interviews, and one was a group interview with the President of the company. Questions varied with the interviewer. Some were more straightforward than others.

The interview itself was a good experience. Unfortunately, it was very difficult to figure out how well you were doing due to the different style of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What part of a salad would you be?   Answer Question
    • Let's say you wake up one morning and discover you have a tail. You walk out of your room and discover that everyone else now has tails, too. What are you going to do to market this tail?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ISN Software in February 2012.

Interview

Expect to meet with many people throughout the company and your last interview is with the President. They are now doing short presentations as part of the interview process since the company relies heavy on presentation skills.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you study the company prior to going into the interview. The first question asked is, "Tell us about ISNetworld and what we do?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ISN Software (Dallas, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume on the ISN website and was called about a month later for a general HR phone interview. I was immediately invited to an in-office interview. Since I didn't go through the standard college recruiting process I had one 30 minute interview with 2 employees. The questions were mainly about my resume and experience and they told me more about ISN. Two days later I received an invite to the final In-House recruiting day. There was a reception at the ISN office the first night where you got a tour of the offices and then had drinks and food in the lobby where you had the chance to meet the other candidates and current ISN employees. The next day was the full day of events at the Fairmont hotel in Dallas. There were 4 separate parts: A panel discussion with 6 employees where you could ask questions about working at ISN, a 1-2 minute oral presentation (was more about how you presented yourself and less about the information, easy topics that they emailed you prior to the interview day), a presentation about ISN, and the interviews which consisted of 5 separate 9-minute interviews. Overall it was a very enjoyable process. The employees at ISN are very outgoing and made everyone feel very comfortable. Received an offer within 2 business days.

My advice to other interviewers would be to stand out. There were 160 candidates, 90% of whom are seniors in college with no "big boy" work experience so if you're in that boat you really have to find a way to stand above everyone else. Also, just be yourself. ISN hires very young, outgoing people and they all have that "work hard, play hard" attitude, so don't be afraid to enjoy yourself at the interview day and be sociable.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral type questions, nothing challenging. I did hear a few strange ones from other people like "If you were part of a salad what part would you be?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't negotiate but the offer was very generous.

Associate Interview

Interview

Very similar to speed dating with Directors, Managers and Supervisors. They are all extremely nice and very approachable. Just do your research on what the company does and you can bring a benefit to the company. They are looking for team players that work hard. And you do work hard!

Interview Questions

• Take a notepad and take very good notes for every person that interviews you. They want to see this.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at ISN Software (Dallas, TX) in June 2010.

Interview

ISN mostly recruits at the university level, looking for interns and Associate (entry-level) candidates about to graduate. On-campus interviews are conducted across a large number of schools across the US and in the local markets where they have offices.

Top performing candidates in the US and Canada are brought to Dallas for a second round interview Dallas. Those travelling from more than a short drive will be flown in and picked up at the airport. All candidates not living in the immediate Dallas area will be offered hotel accommodations. The accommodations are very nice (Omni, Westin, Sheraton or similar).

The night before, candidates are brought into the office for tours and a happy hour. This gives the entire ISN team a chance to interact with candidates and is the first opportunity for the ISN team to establish if there is a fit.

The following day interviews are held off-site typically a large hotel downtown to accomodate the number of recruits (100+). Recruits are split into groups and following an informal breakfast and opening address, they are sent to various breakouts or interviews.

The breakouts are led by a variety of team members from junior level to mid-level employees. Having some junior level employees in the breakouts give candidates the opportunity to see and hear from people who have recently gone through the process. The breakouts cover different areas of the business and include a panel session Q&A. Recruits are encouraged to be active participants by asking questions. The members of the team leading these sessions, even the junior level employees, report back to the management team on candidates that stood out in the breakout sessions.

The interviews are held in a large ballroom and often been equated to speed dating. All senior team leads and above are positioned at tables throughout the room and hold short (< 5min interviews) back to back throughout the day. Most interviews are one on one but occasionally candidates are paired up for an interview. Every candidate will interview with the company president, typically 3-4 candidates at a time.

At lunch, a number of other employees (mostly mid-level) will come over for join everyone. Each table will include 3 or 4 ISN employees along with a number of candidates.

Early afternoon interviews and breakouts will wrap-up. The senior management team will say a few words to the group as a whole and then the candidates are shuttled back to the airport.

The management team (senior team leads and above) reconvenes for a few well-deserved drinks and review the aggregated interview feedback. The lowest performing candidates are reviewed first and managers given the opportunity to "champion" candidates they believe were unfairly scored or simply had a bad day of interviews. The middle of the group creates the largest part of the discussion as opinions for some candidates fall into polar opposites. The group has a rough target of the number of candidates that can be accepted but a policy that they won't turn away high quality candidates that are a good fit for the organisation.

Offer letters and regrets are sent within a day or two. Some candidates where a final decision was not made, may be offered a position if a number of candidates decline the offer.

Candidates can expect a wide variety of interview questions, on top of the standard questions you hear routinely. The majority of managers have come up from within the organisation and have very little formal training on recruiting. As a result, you may get some questions you'd never expect. For example, "If you had a theme song, what would it be?" or "If you stacked quarters, one on top of the other, how many quarters would it take to reach the top of the empire state building?

Remember you are always interviewing. On the office tour, at the happy hour, during coffee/breakfast before the official kick-off, in the breakouts, at your lunch table, and during the breaks in-between. The team often catches candidates getting "overly casual" at the happy hour, candidates falling asleep during breakouts & checking social media, saying inappropriate things to other candidates when they don't think anyone from ISN is around, etc., etc.

Be yourself, have fun but don't get too relaxed. And make sure you get some sleep the night before, it's a long exhausting day.

Interview Questions

• "If you had a theme song, what would it be?"   1 Answer
    • "If you stacked quarters, one on top of the other, how many quarters would it take to reach the top of the empire state building?"   1 Answer
    • "If you woke up tomorrow and discovered you had a grown a tail, what would you do?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't an option to negotiate for entry-level positions. The pay structure at ISN is very transparent and all employees based on their position will earn the same base salary which is widely known throughout the company.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ISN Software.

Interview

Applied on for an on campus interview, they contacted me about 2 weeks later for a meet and greet at a restaurant and we interviewed the day after. Interview was short and sweet, very natural. Emailed me, inviting me to Dallas that same day for in house interviews.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ISN Software.

Interview

The interview process was very basic. They meet with you beforehand and I assume this is to make you feel more comfortable before the actual interview. They really wanted to make sure the candidates knew what the company did. They seemed very particular as to who they want to be a part of their company.

Interview Questions

• The unexpected questions was what are some of my hobbies and etc ... It seemed as if this makes a judgment call on if they like you or not.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ISN Software (Dallas, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

The majority of applicants are found at university recruiting events, most of which are around the area (OSU, Texas Tech, OU, UT, A&M, TCU, KU, Arkansas). I, however, sent in a resume to careers@isnetworld.com. Whether through the recruiting event or over the phone interview, it will be very general interview questions and walk through the resume (what you learned from each and how you apply it, etc.). If they like you, you will be invited to an in-house recruiting event. They will fly you out to Dallas and put you up in a hotel. The first night, you will go to ISN Headquarters and go on a short tour around the office. Then you will attend a "reception" with wine/beer and hors'deuvres. You are encouraged to meet and talk to as many ISN employees as possible. The next day is a full day of activities from 8am-3pm. It will consist of a panel discussion where you can ask questions, a presentation of exactly what ISN does and how you can progress through the company. Then there will be a time where you will interview with about 6 different executive managers and another allotted time to give a short presentation. The interview questions are very generic, what are your strengths, what did you learn from position x, how do you handle conflict, etc. The presentation was also relatively easy, you get time to prep and it will be over a topic you will be familiar with. Overall, the experience was wonderful! The people that work there are very young and the culture is wonderful. They really emphasize team building and the people make up this company. If you are a sociable, smart young person, you will fall in love with this company!

Interview Questions

• I had a few questions that took me aback, such as "What would you change most in this world? And if you were in a position of power how would you implement it?" and "Teach a 5 year old child how to tie his shoes over the phone." I also heard several other questions floating around such as, "What does a benzine skeleton look like?", "How many times does the hour and minute hand cross in 24 hours?", and "How many times does a certain amoeba replicate in a petri dish?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation; Very generous offer! Will not be disappointed.