Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2017

2.4

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

Applied for the position online and heard a response within a week. Was asked to come in for a group audition. 40+ applicants were divided into groups and asked to participate in 3 activities, being reviewed by different department managers and the GM. The whole process lasted almost 2 hours and involved a team activity, a questions section and than role playing. You need to have an outgoing personality and really speak up as you are competing for the position. It was an enjoyable experience and different from the typical, tense one on one sections.

Interview Questions

• The usual, tell me about a time when you had to handle a difficult situation in the work place. What was it and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online, got an email asking me to come in for a group audition.

Audition consisted of me and 4 other applicants. First we filled out a quick availability form. Then they asked a couple personality questions to get to know us better.

After, they asked us to browse the store and find two items that described us and present to the group. Then we had to find two items that represented someone else based on what they told us.

After they gave us each a book shelf a some new books and we had to scan the books and place them neatly on the shelf, organize the shelf, make it look presentable, etc...

And then that was it. They told us that we would get an email wether we got the job or not, got an email a little over a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What are you hoping to gain from your experience at Indigo?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Manager Interview

Interview

Was asked to submit a short, one-way video interview where I answered five questions. The process was quick and the questions were very straight forward. Lots of focus on leadership and customer service experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got an email response two days later from their manager. In the email they asked me a set of questions like what is my availability going to look like from now until January, when I am able to start, how many days and hours per week I can work, etc. After answering that, I got a response the same day inviting to me to a group interview the next day at 10pm.
    The night of the interview there were approximately 15 of us. The interview was conducted by two managers. One of the managers was acting more like a host of the interview and was doing most of the talking and the other one was observing us and writing things down. First, they had us fill out a form which asked for availability, any upcoming vacations, and the departments we would like to work in. After that, we had to introduce ourselves and explain why we chose that department. Then we did some group activities like taping a piece of paper to each person's shoulder. You have find a someone with a word that is an exact opposite to the word that you have. Or going out on the sales floor and picking one item that best represents you. Then you have to present this item to the group and explain why you chose that specific item. After, they tell you to put the item that you chose behind you, look up, and find a perfect gift for a person to your right, then present it and explain why you chose it. After that, they answered questions and the interview was over. They said that we should expect the answer within a week.
    It was a pretty easy and laid back interview. They managers kept saying that we should not be nervous and occasionally asked if we were having fun, but they watched everyone very closely. It was very easy to pass the line of talking too much, so don't try to prove yourself or try to show that you are better than everyone else by putting people in the shade. Keep your answers simple but interesting and meaningful. They don't want you to just answer, but also sound like you are telling a story. Try to really listen to what the managers and the people that are interviewing with you say because it might come important later. It is hard not be nervous during an interview, especially if you are new to audition interviews, but try your best to overcome it because it could become a huge obstacle in doing well during the audition.

Customer Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online and got an email asking for an interview. It was a group interview and the manager asked many questions. We went around the circle and answered the questions and later did some around the store activities.

Tasking/Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in August 2017.

Interview

I originally applied online, and then discovered through the location's facebook page that they were having a job fair, come in, discuss your resume, etc. Went to that and got a call the next day, asking if I was available for a group audition two days later.

The audition itself was easy, all 4 people who RSVP'd attended. She described the duties, and asked us questions and picked the order we would answer. Said we would hear back from them within 5 days, heard back within two.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had too much to do and not enough time.   1 Answer
    • What is one way you think you would need to grow and learn to do the job?   Answer Question

Seasonal Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview with about 20 other people. No personal questions about work history or job history. We played a lot of games and they wrote notes on us while we were doing those games. We also were paired up and had to go and find gifts for the person beside us based on the information that they disclosed about themselves during the interview.

Interview Questions

• If you could meet someone dead or alive who would it be and why?   1 Answer
    • If you could be an animal what animal would it be and why?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Got a call from Indigo. They asked me why I think I would be good for the job and then asked me to come in for a group interview. The interview was me and about 9 other people. First we had to fill out availability sheets. They asked us to introduce ourselves and say what we like about the store and why we want to work there. They asked us 3 other questions and had us all answer them one at a time. They then asked us if we had any questions, they took two and it was over.

I got a call about a week later asking to come in for a second group interview. The email said that this one would also be a group interview but we would be doing activities instead of answering questions. When I got there I saw that it was a much smaller group (3 of us in total , all people I recognized from the first interview). They gave us 10 minutes to get three items in the store (one book, one from kids and one from lifestyle) that we thought described us in someway or that we thought would make a good gift. Once we did that we had to explain to everyone why we chose what we chose. Then then told us about 6 people, their ages, their genders, and what they like and a price range and told us to find items for those people , come back and explain why we chose them. After that they once again asked if we had any questions and then it was over. They said they would be in touch and give us a call before the end of the following week. I got a call 2 days later telling me I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • Tell me what you like about Indigo   Answer Question
    • Tell me why you think you'd be a great addition to the store   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time a customer made an unreasonable request and what you did   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were having a bad day and how you dealt with that at school or at work   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brossard, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Brossard, QC (Canada)).

Interview

Sat down at starbucks with one of the managers and another interviewed person. The manager asked us questions like what we read, what we are interested in...this was helpful to determine if we will be helpful for customers who want book recommendations etc. We were also asked questions like how we would react if a particular situation happened (with fellow colleagues or with a difficult customer)

Interview Questions

• What I read, my interests, what have been my worst job experiences in the past...   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

Hiring and Interview was an interesting process. Indigo hires based on a group interview process in which you have a Q&A period and an activity period to gauge whether or not potential candidates fit the Indigo spirit. Good thing about Indigo is that whether or not you're hired they will call you and let you know.

Interview Questions

• They gave us scenarios to act out. My scenario was a customer looking for an idea for a gift for their mother.   1 Answer