Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2018

2.3

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

Applied for the position online and heard a response within a week. Was asked to come in for a group audition. 40+ applicants were divided into groups and asked to participate in 3 activities, being reviewed by different department managers and the GM. The whole process lasted almost 2 hours and involved a team activity, a questions section and than role playing. You need to have an outgoing personality and really speak up as you are competing for the position. It was an enjoyable experience and different from the typical, tense one on one sections.

Interview Questions

• The usual, tell me about a time when you had to handle a difficult situation in the work place. What was it and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

Basic phone interview, asked a few questions asked to come in for a group interview. Group interview split into multiple groups, 3 parts: a team game/activity, role play as a CSR and then basic interview questions after that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a good customer service experience you had.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

They carried a group interview with some questions and some exercises to perform so they can look for team management skills, organization skills and communication skills in a candidate

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2018.

Interview

It was a group interview with multiple people. We were separated in groups of six to fill out an availability form and then do a quick 30 second elevator speech. Only some people moved on to the next round, where we sat around a table and it was a more traditional kind of group interview.

Interview Questions

• What does bringing your best self to work mean for you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in February 2018.

Interview

As previously mentioned, this was a group interview. There were two managers interviewing roughly 12-15 people. It lasted roughly 3 hours, though it usually only lasts 2, because everyone enjoyed talking with one another.

Everyone went around the room and introduced themselves. There weren't any guidelines for this, so you got to decide what you wanted to share about yourself. Afterwards, one of the managers came around and stuck a word on the back of each interviewee, and we were told to ask other participants yes/no questions to find out what word was on our back. Then we had to find our "match" i.e. milk and cookies, peanut butter and jelly, shampoo and conditioner, etc.

After the game, the managers sent us out onto the floor to find an item (didn't have to be a book, though must people chose a book) that resonated with us and to tell a story about it. They gave us 5 minutes. I picked my favourite book and explained its significance to me. Everyone was allowed to respond to everyone's stories, so this took about 45 minutes.

After hearing everyone's stories, we were sent out onto the floor again to pick a gift for someone in the group and explain why we chose it for them. We were given 5 minutes for this as well.

The managers ended the interview with a few last questions and told us that we would hear from them in the next few days. They also took any further questions we had about the job and Indigo as a whole.

Overall, everyone was super friendly and while everyone was still aware they were being critiqued, there was a very relaxed feel about the whole interview. They're looking for friendly, outgoing people, so make sure to put yourself out there and try to interact with everyone as much as possible!

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakville, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Oakville, ON (Canada)) in December 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very fun and interactive, probably one of the best interviews I've participated in. The group interview required detail to attention of peers, and managers watching how well you could interact. Be sure to pay attention to what others are saying, when you go. Be calm and smile.

Interview Questions

• Select an item from the store that best describes you (and why)   Answer Question

Seasonal Customer Experience Representative TEC- Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2017.

Interview

Received an email for an interview, asked to select a time frame. Received and email back confirming and asking me to fill out a Hiring Event form, basically what timeframes are you available to work etc.

Interview Questions

• Had a short 1 on 1 interview and then sent onwards to another group. Team building type game, lots of fun. And asked to pick and item that reflects your personality and why and then asked to pick an item that reflects the personality of your teammates based on what you had learned about them thus far.   1 Answer

Seasonal Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Burnaby, BC (Canada)) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview is called an audition as others have mentioned. 2 interviewers and about 7 of us. We had to answer a few questions and complete tasks

- Name, interesting fact and favourite book
    - Get 1 item from the store that describes your personality (5 minute limit)
    - Get 1 item from the store that would make a good gift for the person on your right based on what they described in the previous round
    - What is your least favourite book? Why?
    - How would you convince someone to read that book?
    - Lastly, we had words taped on our backs. We had to ask the other interviewees 2 questions each to figure out what the word was. Clue- all words had a pair word

Interview Questions

• How would you convince someone to read your least favourite book?   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in November 2017.

Interview

Total length: 1hr 45 mins. AMAZING panel of interviewers (4 of them). Very comfortable environment, where each of the 20 interviewees would begin by introducing themselves and a fun fact about themselves. Interviews were very relaxed and keen to listen, as well as, contribute their own ideas. Accepted as many questions as we had for them.

Interview Questions

• As mentioned, there's an activity where each interviewee has the name of an item taped to their backs, and you have to ask closed-ended questions ("yes" or "no") to guess your own, then find your counterpart, respectively.   1 Answer
    • Storytelling component to the interview: go to the floor and pick an item you resonate with, and tell them a story about it.   1 Answer
    • Go to the floor again, this time pick something out for someone and explain why you chose that for them.   1 Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brampton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Brampton, ON (Canada)) in November 2017.

Interview

This was for a seasonal position for the winter holidays (specifically as a cashier only), however it was not specified in the job description. We were only told of this temporary position during the in-person interview.

I applied online through the company's website and received an e-mail response within two hours. The e-mail included a friendly, generic response in how the company liked my resume and invited me to complete a one-way video interview. The e-mail provided the link to the online video procedure and it was 4 questions. It's just a screen that gives you 30 seconds to read the question and then your webcam records you to answer the question. You're allowed to complete practice video interviews which ask similar questions and record you (but they're not the same as the actual questions asked in the real video interview) ; the practice videos are not seen by the employer.

After they reviewed my video interview, I received another e-mail stating they liked my video, and asked me about my availability. I e-mailed back with my available hours.

After this, I was invited via e-mail to come in on Saturday @ 3pm for a group audition. This is just a basic group interview with team building exercises. There was about 15 of us at the audition and they only asked us two questions and played one game with the group. First, we had to go around the store and find an item that resonated with ourselves and then show 'n' tell the product and explain why it was important to us. The questions they asked us were in the form of casual discussions, but there was one manager taking notes on our responses and the other was engaging in our conversations. The second question was "Why do you want to work during the holiday season?"

After the questions, they had us fill out availability forms and told us that availability was the main factor in getting this position since they were short-staffed for the upcoming holidays.

When participating in any of the interview processes, try to discuss the importance of story-telling and be interactive/participate as much as possible. They're looking for friendly, fun, talkative people. The entire process overall took about a week.

Interview Questions

• Video Interview: Tell us about a time you received exceptional customer service, and what made it so exceptional?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Indigo?   1 Answer