Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2018

2.4

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

Applied for the position online and heard a response within a week. Was asked to come in for a group audition. 40+ applicants were divided into groups and asked to participate in 3 activities, being reviewed by different department managers and the GM. The whole process lasted almost 2 hours and involved a team activity, a questions section and than role playing. You need to have an outgoing personality and really speak up as you are competing for the position. It was an enjoyable experience and different from the typical, tense one on one sections.

Interview Questions

• The usual, tell me about a time when you had to handle a difficult situation in the work place. What was it and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Group interview, minimum conventional interview questions. The manager likes when you share personal stories relevant to the questions asked. Don't be afraid to be casual and genuine. As long as it can indicate a good connection with a customer. Doesn't hurt to reference some of the books you've recently read.

Interview Questions

• If you can get everyone to mandatorily read a book, what book would it be?   Answer Question
    • What is the first thing you would bring to the world if you had unlimited wealth?   Answer Question

Director Retail Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

The phone screening experience was terrible. The Hr recruiter lacked professionalism, and it was clear she was speed calling a ton of candidates. She did not seem to know anything about the role and for a director level interviewing screening you would expect more. It reminded me of a phone screening you would have when interviewing for a sales associate role at store level.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pointe-Claire, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Pointe-Claire, QC (Canada)).

Interview

It was online questionnaire which was quite long to fill out and hard to complete. Then I was called in for a one on one interview with the manager.

Interview Questions

• What are you good at, pros and cons with the manager of the store.   1 Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

The audition interview took 1.5 hrs and there were 15-20 people. Each person had a chance to answer questions and the order of who answers first doesn't really matter because everyone's answer is unique. It really just depends on how you answered the questions.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kamloops, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Kamloops, BC (Canada)) in May 2018.

Interview

First round was the online video session. Automatic questions would pop out and you have to record the answer on the video session and it would upload to their site.

Interview Questions

• Can you work better in a team or as an individual.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Woodbridge, ON (Canada)) in May 2018.

Interview

The hiring process was quite different from the conventional one. It was an audition in the Indigo store, with about 50 people. It was on a Saturday at 10 AM. The first step was based on the availability of each participant and also in 30 seconds that the managers gave us to make a good impression. Out of these 50 people, only 12 have moved on to the second phase. The second phase consisted in dividing two groups, each with 6 people. In group we made a challenge. In a circle on the floor, several numbers of paper, we should as a group think of a strategy to reach the numbers, in numerical sequence and one at a time, listening intently to the instructions of the general manager. After this challenge we went to the team room and they interviewed us in groups, but with very personal questions.

Interview Questions

• What is teamwork for you?

A brief presentation about you

A difficult situation that you went through in some previous job   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in May 2018.

Interview

Standard interview they were really friendly. They seem very welcoming to newcomers and people who do not have experience in the sales industry. The manager seemed genuinely interested in me.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in May 2018.

Interview

Before the mall opened, everyone met the two interviewers outside of the store. They were about 5 minutes late but nobody seemed to mind. The first part of the interview was a couple icebreaker questions meant to see how the applicants responded and who were willing to be vocal. The interviewers were busy scribbling down information about applicants on a clipboard.

The second part of an interview was an activity where applicants had to find one or two items from the store that they feel represented another applicant then explain to the group while they chose their items. This heavily relied on paying attention to the first part of the interview.

Last part was a group building exercise, however, I feel like this was more of a formality, there were clear frontrunners in this interview. Everyone was given a scheduling agreement at the end and the interviewers thanked us for our time.

Interview Questions

• What is the funniest thing that happened to you in the last week?   1 Answer
    • How did you prepare for this interview?   1 Answer

Tasker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I applied online and got an email to attend a group interview. They were hiring all positions for the holiday season. One thing I remember doing is we were divided into smaller teams and had to build a tower out of marshmallows and toothpicks, to test how we worked in a group.
    I got the job as a tasker because I had overnight/early morning availability.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenge/conflict you've experienced at work in the past and how did you handle it?   Answer Question