Inkling Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Inkling Interview Questions

Interviews at Inkling

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Inkling (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

In the whole of the interview process I was unable to understand what the Interviewer was asking me about. The interview had three rounds - Introduction on the Company/Project, My background and then the Technical round. I requested the interviewer thrice stating that - I am difficult to understand his language - but he kept continuing without any improvement.
    Sincere request , when the candidate is trying hard to understand - please make a sincere effort to consider their request.
    All throughout my interview process I was trying to figure out the interviewer's question. Disappointed with the whole interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your recent school project   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Inkling (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process with Inkling is pretty standard. I had an initial phone call with a technical recruiter which led to an hour technical code screening with the hiring manager and eventually on-site to meet with the team.

The Inkling office is in a convenient location within the financial district (just several blocks away from the Montgomery Bart/Muni station). My on-site interview was scheduled for about 6 hours beginning from 9am - 3pm. I had 6 one-on-one interviews and had the opportunity to eat lunch with a couple people at the office. My first interview was a product demo, followed by 2 technical interviews where I peer-programmed on a computer, 2 behavioral/fitment interviews, and a systems design interview.

Throughout this whole process, everyone that I spoke/interviewed with were extremely kind and easy-going. I appreciated that a lot because it takes away the pressure and nervousness that I would otherwise feel. I did not feel rushed by the interviewers to spit out answers and everything felt very collaborative (especially with the coding interviews). The only portion of the interview that felt off for me was during the Systems Design portion, because I felt like I couldn't understand the interviewers question too clearly.

Aside from the interviews itself, I really enjoyed learning about the product over at Inkling. It seems like they are working with really exciting technologies and actually making things happen quickly to improve Inkling's future.

Although this was by far the longest interview I've had, it was also one of the best interviews I've experienced so far.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Inkling (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Pair Programming. Had the recruiter uttered those words in the initial phone call, I would have responded with my own two words and we could have saved each other a lot of time. But the recruiter probably knew that, which is why she did not tell me anything about pair-programming until the onsite interview when they sprung it on me without any warning.

The company suffers from stagnation due to inbreeding. They mostly hire interns as full-time, probably because management wants to micromanage and keep a tight control over what is done and the way it is done. Interns are probably happy to be working in an SF startup and probably enjoy being micromanaged. What they don't realize is that they are working with people who are not very experienced and will pick up a lot of bad habits.

The fawning interns seem to have left the inexperienced "senior" engineers and their "leaders" with an inflated sense of self-worth. For example, the engineers, and their "leaders" lack a clear understanding of basic Complexity theory. So they don't have good CS fundamentals and want to build large-scale systems! If I were an investor, I would have experienced third-party architects audit their backend systems before investing more money in this company. Their "leaders" are immature, indecisive, and inexperienced and I have doubts about the scalability of their backend architecture.

Their entire interviewing process was highly disorganized. They had trouble scheduling the interviews and some of their interviewers showed up late.

This company does not have the chops to execute what it dreams of doing and will probably go out of business in the next few years.

Avoid.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were fairly easy and straight-forward. The guy who did the pair-programming interview expected me to dictate code to him (yeah, dictate every character like "open brace" and "close brace") while I watched his typing on a screen that was several feet away. For the most part I was squinting to make out the small font on the screen. The interviewer seemed oblivious to the idiocy of the setup - which indicates that he is a pretty hardcore follower of the Church of Pair Programming. I got tired of the whole exercise pretty quickly. So save yourselves some pain in the neck (literally!) and avoid this company.   Answer Question

Software Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Inkling.

Interview

Interviewed with a software Engineer. Asked about my background then did a partner programming challenge. The Engineer called me an hour early and when I asked to reschedule, ignored me and continued asking questions.

Interview Questions

• Given two arrays of strings. Print out the list of Strings that appear in the first array and not the second   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Inkling (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very low key interview. Very interested in why you want to work for a startup rather than for another larger company. No real trivia or riddle-like questions involved. They are more concerned with what you bring than what benchmarks you are able to meet.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Inkling (San Francisco, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a 15-minute presentation to 4 members of the leadership team. i was asked to develop a presentation that would allow me to sell the audience on a 3-month plan (including strategy and tactics.) This was followed by a brief Q&A and then 1:1 interviews with 4 members of the senior leadership team, as well as an additional 1:1 interview with an employee who would be a peer. The 1:1 interviews lasted for 45 minutes. The final interview was with the CEO, Matt MacInnis and that lasted for an hour and a half. The majority of the interviews focused on addressing my previous work experience and skill set. The final interview with Matt focused on my personality, my communication style, and how I feel I am perceived by others in workplace scenarios.

Interview Questions

• This was a question asked by the CEO: Give me an example of a work situation you have been in where there was tension between you and a colleague. What do you think that coworker thought of you? What did you think of them? How did you resolve your issues?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Inkling (San Francisco, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks, spoke with the hiring manager, then was called in for an on-site interview last November 2018. The last round was a presentation that I was told to prepare for 5 people (one person connected via Skype). Still waiting for the results. Least they could have done is acknowledge a candidate's effort and tell them what went wrong and why. The company looked nice, offer you catered lunches.

Interview Questions

• past experiences, resume questions, was told to prepare a slide deck demonstrating about yourself and your work experience.   Answer Question

Inkling Response

Aug 8, 2019 – Recruiting Lead

Thank you very much for your feedback! We agree, we certainly should have provided feedback and I apologize that your experience was lack luster to say the least. At that time, we did not have a... More

Marketing Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Inkling (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied to Inkling via their website, and it took two months to hear back. Once I did, the entire process happened smoothly, quickly, and with great professionalism. I was first contacted by one of Inkling's recruiters for a phone screen, which was more in-depth (and friendly) than other phone screens I've gone through. Then I had a phone interview with a senior-level marketing executive, which lasted about 45 minutes. I was then sent "homework" that was directly relevant to what I would do for Inkling if hired, and brought in for an on-site interview with the marketing executive, where we went over my assignment, was asked additional questions about my experience and what I was looking for with this next step of my career, and got a chance to walk around the Inkling office and ask more specific questions about the job and company. The last step was an interview with the CEO, which was strictly about a culture fit. We spent an hour going over previous work situations and scenarios, how I've responded to stress/difficulties in the past, how I have dealt with coworkers, etc.--it's a pretty in-depth personality assessment. Once that was over, the CEO let me ask as many questions about the company and position as I wanted, and gave detailed and frank answers. I was walked out by the marketing executive and we ended up spending about ten minutes together, talking about the CEO interview and next steps. I received an offer about four days later, and they gave me a few days to think about it (even though I was sure I wanted to work here, I wanted time to tell my current employers before officially accepting). They were extremely flexible with my start date—I had been with my previous company for seven years and wanted to give them four weeks to help with the transition, which Inkling graciously accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you disagreed fundamentally with a coworker, and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me more than what I asked for, so no negotiating took place.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Inkling (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I went through a staffing agency for the initial screening. I then met with two Managers on two separate occasions. It wrapped up with a panel interview & presentation with AE's and multiple Managers. After the presentation, I had additional 1:1 interviews with various team members.

Interview Questions

• What is it that you think we do? How would you position us to a prospective client? How would you attack a new territory?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Inkling in April 2013.

Interview

I contacted Inkling through a friend who was working there, and he suggested the Implementation Manager position after hearing about my interests and career goals. After 1 phone screen, Inkling's recruiter scheduled an on-site day of interviews for me the following week.

Inkling's on-site interview day is long (6 interviews), comprehensive, and exhausting, but I felt it was fair and they put all of the right people on the schedule to determine whether I was a fit for the role. I also liked that the interview slots were 45 minutes.

After my on-site interview day, my hiring manager suggested one additional phone interview with a person I'd be working with closely. I then received an offer - a week after completing the on-site interviews.

Throughout the process, Inkling's recruiting team was available and responsive; once, I even missed a scheduled phone checkin during the workday, and the recruiter made herself available after hours to talk through my questions.

Interview Questions

• Inkling's interview questions are behavioral. Be sure to understand well the choices you made and why you made them when talking about your past experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Inkling was very receptive to my relocation needs (since I was moving internationally) and also worked with me on salary. I was coming from a bigger company, but they came very close to matching my previous salary and included options and benefits that made the compensation package very attractive.