InsideTrack Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017

3.4

Video and Multimedia Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InsideTrack (Portland, OR) in August 2017.

Interview

I had one phone interview with a recruiter. He was friendly and informative, but didn't know some of the nitty gritty details about the job, which makes sense. I asked about the "change in the direction" that many people mentioned on Glassdoor reviews and he was very honest and open about that and how it was affecting some employees, particularly coaches. I was very impressed with how quick the process was. I had my phone interview and received a rejection email all within one week of submitting my application.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a difficult situation in your previous work and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Success Coach Interview

Interview

Multiple steps including personality and basic skills testing, phone interview/s (live or automated), in person or in office interview/s including possibility of group interview/s or group interactions, manager interview possible, drug testing, background check, etc.

Student Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InsideTrack (Portland, OR).

Interview

This was to be a 5-6 step interview process. After applying online, I was contacted by e-mail and asked to schedule an automated interview by phone. That's right - a pre-recorded message asked questions and recorded the answers. I passed that step and then received a phone interview, not passed.

Prospective Student Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at InsideTrack (Nashville, TN) in June 2013.

Interview

This interview process was strange at best. I initially applied online. A few days later I received a call from one of Inside Track's hiring managers. I was basically asked how much I knew about the company, its mission, and why I thought I would be a good fit there. At the end, I was asked to come in for an interview. However, prior to the interview, I was asked to complete a personality/intelligence assessment. The assessment itself was quite in depth, and the questions were incredibly loaded. Your only answer options were "agree" or disagree" with questions such as "Sometimes revenge is the only option" or "I believe some supervisors make more money than they should". In addition to there, there was also a math and English test. Additionally, I was asked to complete an application, an application that contained all the information that I had already completed online.
      Upon arriving to the interview, I was initially placed in a group setting. After an introduction from one of the interviewers, we were asked to introduce ourselves, stating our names, the first job we ever had to pay taxes on, and our favorite concert. Then, the interviewer proceeded to do a 35 minute presentation on the company, all containing information that could have been gathered from the website. We were then asked to individually write down what we thought the five most important attributes for this position were. We then had ten minutes as a group to compile a "master list". Once this was done, we were asked to critique ourselves.
      The next portion consisted of two individual interviews. The first interview was a mock client phone call that you had five minutes to address the situation. Upon completing the five minutes, I was asked what I had done well (x3) and what I would change (X3). The reviewer then gave me feedback. The next interview was then the HR manager literally asking me three questions (1. what is going to be the most important thing to you at your next job? 2. What do you think InsideTrack does well? 3. What would your attribute your own success in college to?), writing down my answers, and wishing me a good day. I was told that I would hear back within a week.
      Exactly one week later, I received an email saying that I had met all qualifications but that I was not being advanced to the next round of interviewing and that they did not provide any feedback.
      Honestly, I didn't expect much from this company. The whole interview process seemed very impersonal, and there was no real opportunity to sell yourself. The group component really did nothing to prove ability to work as a team and seemed rather pointless. It was also a little unnerving that I spent a total of three hours in that building after an hour commute to only interview for what was approximately 15 minutes. I knew I could expect little when I, with a B.S. degree, was interviewing with individuals with Masters as well as a doctoral candidate. The work environment is very much a call center with a lot of "hip" individuals in their early 30's.

Interview Questions

• What do you think InsideTrack does well?
      . What would your attribute your own success in college to?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I interviewed at InsideTrack (Nashville, TN) in December 2012.

Interview

Went through four rounds of the same interview and received a form letter in the mail. In my opinion, don't waste your time.

College Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InsideTrack (Portland, OR) in October 2012.

Interview

It was a weird concept. There was no person to person, face to face contact where I could "sell myself." Inside Track emailed me indicating myself as a possible candidate for the position. The email prompted me to call their automated phone system where I was interviewed by a computer. I was asked five questions and given three minutes to answer...after the tone...press pound when finished. It was so impersonal and a strange way to evaluate interviewee's. I found it odd talking to nobody and feel I did not come across as myself.

Interview Questions

• I did not find the questions difficult and I was prepared, it was just a very foreign concept and gave me an uncomfortable feeling.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at InsideTrack (Portland, OR) in September 2012.

Interview

Long process but totally worth it! Response time with interviewing process varies based on need, know some who it took 3 weeks/1 month to six months.

Online app/Resume
    Auto phone interview
    Phone interview
    Personality survey (in depth!)
    Group Interview
    Individual interview
    Background/Drug test
    Campus Interview

Overall, the process is really for you to get to know the company better and them you. It is very competitive, but also constructs a sense of team work very early on. They are really transparent with their hiring process if you want more information and ask them while in it.

The process is not difficult but does take some time and they really work to understand if you'd fit. I loved the process as it brought out self-discovery and understanding.

Number 1 suggestion: be yourself. The process is VERY much to make sure the fit is right. Not a job to "just have". The hiring process, training, and job are intense, so it's important to keep the culture growing, which they have done amazingly well.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected was the auto phone interview. It covers basic info you'd be asked at any job interview, format is just unusual.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You get your offer within a certain range depending on experience/need, so no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

Interview

Multiple interviews on phone and in person. Sit downs with current coaches. Took about 2-3 months long. A very very long process for a job that pays minimal pay. Wasnt always kept aware of what was going on. Few people can wait that long for a job offer.

Interview Questions

• How will you coach a student who had a conflict with their instructor?   Answer Question

Student Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InsideTrack (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

A few days after I applied online, the main recruiter for the position called me for a phone screen. Questions included: what do you know/understand of InsideTrack's mission? Why did you apply? I received an email saying he wanted to see me for the next round of interviews and to fill in an online strength assessment. The next interview was a group interview with about 10 people. It started with introductions then a presentation of the company. Then time for questions. Then a group activity where you had to determine the top qualities for the job. Then 2 student coaches came to do individual interviews. There were 2 interviews: one with three questions in 7 minutes: what do you think makes insidetrack successful? what are you looking for in a job? and tell me a time you overcome a challenge and how. The other interview is a 20 minute role play: 5 minute pretend conversation with student having issues. Then critique yourself: what did you do well? what could be improved? Then the recruiter gave me feedback. You also had to fill in an application with 5 questions: what time management techniques do you use? describe a time you had to give someone feedback. How was performance assessed in your previous jobs? ...Three days later I received an email saying I wasn't selected.

Interview Questions

• Being given feedback after the role play to see how I would react.   1 Answer

College Admissions Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at InsideTrack (Portland, OR) in June 2012.

Interview

I submitted by application online, which was not difficult. I was contacted for a surprise phone interview several weeks later. The interviewer was friendly, but "cardboard"—that is, corporate, professional, without personality. I was asked the typical questions asked by corporate companies, "what do you know about this company", "what is your experience", etc. I didn't feel like I had the chance to show who I was as a person, the interview was stiff and suited for a more corporate type of position than I had expected.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer stated that "Inside Track is a very competitive business" and implied that passion for one's work and the students was not enough to succeed in this line of work, but that the real clients were the colleges and private firms. I was thrown off guard because I thought the position was all about coaching, and providing for the student's interests first, not the companies looking for numbers and "hard analytical proof" of success.   Answer Question