Insightly Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 5, 2017

2.8

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Insightly (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted and spoke with the Head of HR for a Senior Engineer role. We spoke for about 45 minutes on the initial call. She had a surprisingly good knowledge of the various tech stacks we use. It was a pleasant conversation and I agreed to taking the next steps in the process even though I already had a verbal conversation going with Microsoft about another role.

Interview Questions

• I had to technical screens and seemed to do well. Mostly on data structure.   1 Answer

Xamarin Mobile Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longmont, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Insightly (Longmont, CO) in October 2017.

Interview

It was wonderful. I answered all of her questions which delved deeply into my background and work history. I mentioned how I am self-taught and she seemed impressed with that.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Insightly (Denver, CO) in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a gal name Elena on Angelslist. Very easy to talk to. I felt like we were friends before the call. Very natural communicator. She knew a great deal about my background and work history. Also, did not realise she was a VP until later looking her up and her expansive background! IMPRESSIVE!! very humble too.

The company is growing into other locations so they are looking for Senior candidates to help lead these efforts is what she told me. We spoke for an hour on her drive into San Fran. She set me up with the VP of Sales in the next few days after sending me links to his sound bites about sales, the company history and product. A very nice lady (erica) helped with the coordinating process.

I week later I had a very good conversation with Mark, I was very impressed by his knowledge on the SAAS industry and sales. I am still in the process but I wanted to chime in. I was very impressed at the level of professionalism and care that the very initial stages entailed.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about my background and knowledge of player coach theories.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Insightly (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the VP of HR about a role on Linkedin. I was both surprised and humbled that in a company of this size, the VP is still very hands on. We had a twenty minute conversation about the company and team and she got me very excited about the role and interview process. She then passed me on to another recruiter on her team who might have been the nicest recruiter I have ever spoken to. I had a few other job offers so I opted out of a further conversation but I thought I should leave feedback since I felt that I got the royal treatment! I also thought it was fun to talk to a VP of HR that asks technical questions.

Can you name three ways to pass parameters to a method in C#?
    A
    The three ways to pass a parameter to a method are detailed below.
    Value Parameters: Passing a parameter to a method by value creates a new storage location for the value parameter. Any changes to the value parameter by the method have no effect on the argument.
    Reference Parameters: Passing a parameter to a method by reference can be achieved by using the ref keyword. Instead of creating a new storage location for the parameter, the method accesses the memory location of the argument and passes it as a parameter. Changes made to the parameter will also affect the argument.
    Output Parameters: The out keyword allows a method to return two values from a function. It’s similar to passing a reference parameter, except in this case data is being transferred out of the method.

Nice one!

Interview Questions

• Most of the initial conversation focused around my background and explanation for the company's tech stack decisions and future scalability. The questions for me were mostly based around the other products I have worked on and how many users they serviced as well as full stack feature design. I recommend other engineers to look into Insightly as it seems like a great CRM and good people!   Answer Question

Associate Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Insightly (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied on LinkedIn and was emailed a few days later to schedule a phone interview. I did a phone screening with a recruiter, who was lovely. Then I completed a technical writing test. After that, I had a phone interview with the lead technical writer. Finally, I interview with four separate employees over the course of two hours in person. It was a great process, everyone was very friendly and respectful.

Interview Questions

• What changes would I make to certain content?   1 Answer
    • Why Insightly?   1 Answer

Sales Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I interviewed at Insightly in July 2017.

Interview

Pretty simple. Reached out to someone who worked there on Linkedin (Was very friendly and accommodating) who then rerouted me to an HR associate who then set me up with the hiring manager who kept bailing every week and got kind of annoying. This person seemed to only have had a technical background alone, was late to the phone interview by about 15 minutes (Had a hardstop right after the time our interview was over) and completely over-dominated the interview with himself talking without much room for letting me speak. Then at the end he had to go and I'm pretty sure I didn't say much more than 'Hello!' I've had some great interviews in the past, but this person shouldn't be used to do much more than put code together for the team. Seems like a cool company, and would have loved to have interviewed with someone else.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Insightly (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Headhunter DM'd me on LinkedIn which resulted in a 30 minute screening call > 25 minute call w/ sales director a few days later > 2 hour onsite interview w/ 2 managers (director was OOTO) and the same sales recruiter.

All three stages were positive but they all kept saying that I didn't have enough SaaS experience (looking for 2-5 yrs). I challenged them everytime w/ their reason for continuing the conversation knowing I didn't meet that specific req. All responded with their positive impression of my career trajectory and experience. At the end of the day, I was asked if I wanted to go with an SDR position. I politely and wisely declined- this industry is too competitive to go *down* the ladder- I'm already an AE!

People were nice enough, FWIW ;)

Interview Questions

• Are you hitting quota?

Tell me about a time you were faced with a challenge and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Insightly.

Interview

Worst interview experience I have ever had. The interviewer was super smug and berated my work experience right out of the gate. Seriously, he put me down because I stayed in my last job for 5 years as if it was offensive to him. It was odd. He looked like a 20-something right out of college, so I guess committing to a company for over a year is foreign to them? If my experience was not what they were looking for, then why did bother to interview me? He started berating me before even getting into the interview. If they paid me 10x what I wanted and begged me I would not work there. Very unprofessional. If this is the company culture, I doubt this little startup will still be around in 5 years.

Interview Questions

• Why did you stay at your last company for 5 years? I hope you did not the same thing over and over.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Insightly (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview was a 45 minute phone screen with a lead tech. She was very polite and helpful. She had me connect to CollabEdit to for a coding test. I'd been sick and had trouble focusing, so it took me longer than usual to find a solution to the question she asked. The recruiter did not contact me or return my inquiries after the interview, so I can only assume my performance was not satisfactory. (Lame that the recruiter completely dropped me. (Glassdoor should have the option to rate a recruiter!)

Interview Questions

• Write a function that will validate the order of brackets in coding. Bracket openers should be closed properly. The function should accept a string parameter and return a Boolean.

'(', '{', '[' are called "openers."
      ')', '}', ']' are called "closers."

"{ [ ] ( ) }" should return true
      "{ [ ( ] ) }" should return false
      "{ [ }" should return false   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Insightly.

Interview

Screen call with junior recruiter followed by phone screen with senior recruiter. Had a seemingly good call with hiring manager. Was told I'd hear back very soon as the recruiters "are really on top of things." Never heard a word.