Islands Restaurants Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 10, 2017

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Islands Restaurants

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Islands Restaurants.

Interview

Had a sit down interview with head trainer and general manager. Was asked a series of questions and then got the job on the spot. The interview went very smooth and was quick.

Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Islands Restaurants.

Interview

40 minute phone interview, Online assessment, meeting at corporate office in Irvine. Interview was professionally conducted. Lots of questions about why are you looking at this company, how to you go above and beyond for guests.

Food Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Islands Restaurants.

Interview

This islands location asked basic questions like what do you do for fun.
    Also why do you want to work at islands.
    You could tell they didn't really know what to do.
    The general manger Lina was short and distracted. The process took like an hour and was maybe too easy. I should have seen this as a red flag. The employees here do not last.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Islands Restaurants (Irvine, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The process was very detailed and organized. They where very clear in what they expected and what the company is about. The recruiter was very helpful and caring. After that i met with 1 general manager and the District manager together. They had questions and went a bit more in depth about the job and benefits etc. Overall the process is lengthy, but it's because they just dont wanna hire someone for a job, they want to offer careers. I received my employment offer a few days later and i start my new career this week !

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim Hills, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Islands Restaurants (Anaheim Hills, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was long because you have to meet and interview with each and every manager at the store. I went back and called probably about seven times before everything was said and done and I was hired. Interview was simple with relatively easy questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you go above and beyond for customers? What is your definition of customer service?   Answer Question

Host Interview

Interview

The initial interview is very easy. Just basic background questions and why you would be a good fit. The manager that interviewed me was very attentive and made the whole process pleasant. She scheduled a 2nd interview with the GM.
    The 2nd interview was a totally epic fail on his part. I showed up to the interview, only to find out that he had called out and was unable to attend. No biggie, but someone could have called me to reschedule instead of wasting my time. So comes take two on the 2nd interview. Again, epic fail on his part. I was greeted by 4 "different" hosts who all looked suspiciously alike. I did not notice this before, but was nervous that perhaps they were going for a "look" here. I was given a glass of water that looked cloudy. Again, no biggie considering I did not even want or ask for it. I guess it was "courtesy". I waited nearly 20 min at a table next to the restrooms that smelt of urine when the GM finally arrives. No hello, just slammed my app on the table asking if this was I. I was a bit taken back and looked over the paperwork. I said yes, and introduced myself. Still, no name or title. The only way I was able to find out his name was prior to this the messy pile of biz cards on the front counter that said GM_____ @ Islands.
    Yes, the interview had a rough start but I always give people the benefit of the doubt. Boy, did this place make me reconsider otherwise. Anytime I spoke, this guy of a GM rolled his eyes, yawned, and repeatedly asked the same questions. This is not my first rodeo for interviews so at this point I am grabbing my paperwork to leave. This does not even phase him. He stands up as well and wants to shake my hand. I decline and still does not bother him. He tells me I should get a call soon about the "dishwasher" position. Um, hello? I WAS looking into becoming a host but nope. Not after this.
    Maybe because I was not "blonde with blue eyes". Wouldn't be Surprised if Hitler himself was back there flipping burgers.
    I did receive a call about the host position the same day and I politely declined. There were too many cons outweighing the barely there pros of a restaurant for me to accept.

Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Islands Restaurants (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Seen add on Craigslist said come in fill out application with on spot interviews
    Did so interview with trainer passed information over to regional manager and set up interview with him before i left.
    Meet with manager things went good said to call and check in did so and he offered me a position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Just go for it! Great fun place give it a shot!

Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Islands Restaurants (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Unprofessional and disorganized hiring staff...I'll make it quick;
    I went in as a customer and ended up asking about a job there, the host came by with an application and told me to bring it the next day when the manager was in. I filled it out and returned it, the manager said that he'll let me know. Got a call for an interview with one of the three other managers, she was very nice, it was my first interview so I was nervous but the questions were easy. She said she'll let me know. I got another call for a second interview with the third manager, went in and he asked nearly the same questions and told me he'd let me know. He called me saying the first manager (the one I have my app to) wants to see me so he gave me a date and time. I show up that day and he's not in, the other manager apologized and told me "he'll let him know I came." Got an email saying I got the job and an orientation date. A few days before my orientation I was called saying they didn't have as much room on staff as they thought and retracted their offer.
    complete BS. I'm never going there again.

Host/Hostess Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Islands Restaurants (Pasadena, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I went in to give the managers my application, it was pretty easy but they then followed up with me and called me, and we interview about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at islands? What can you bring to the atmosphere? What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Islands Restaurants (Manhattan Beach, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Meet with an available manager on the spot. Then second interview with General Manager. Then you get your "YES" call.

Interview Questions

• My most difficult thing was remembering the random times given to come in.   Answer Question