JMP Securities Interview Questions | Glassdoor

JMP Securities Interview Questions

Updated Oct 25, 2017

2.8

Interview

2 phone interviews and then a super day. Super day was at the office of your preferred location.
    There were technicals scattered throughout the first interview and the super day. Second phone interview was fit and behavioral.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at JMP Securities (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

First started with a very technical phone screen, a model test, another interview, and ultimately an invite to their SF office. Keep doing your studying for the IB guides but if you get invited to the SuperDay, plan on mingling and getting drunk with the other analysts. I think I ultimately got dinged for leaving the bar early to make a 4AM flight instead of sacking up and pulling an all-nighter.

Interview Questions

• They asked pretty much every single question that you would find on a technical guide and you had to have a good explanation for why IB and what you have done is relevant to it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at JMP Securities (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Received an interview off of on-campus recruiting and the first round was a phone interview. They asked briefly about myself, walk me through my resume, then went straight into technicals. The questions were not too hard but studying must be done. You should have both a finance and accounting background if you want to be most prepared to answer all the questions thoroughly.

Interview Questions

• Why would a company raise capital through equity than debt?   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at JMP Securities (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

First met with the Senior Analyst for about an hour. Asked me mostly fit questions and general questions to gauge my interest in Biotech. Very down to earth. Next I met with his associates who gave me some insight into what it was like to work at JMP, including daily activities and responsibilities.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at JMP Securities (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Went into office for a multiple round interview. Most of the interviewers just asked fit questions, got a few relatively simple financial questions from the younger analysts. Generally friendly interviewers, but they were not enthused to be in the interview. Very small organization, did not seem like tight knit community.

Equity Research Intern Interview

Interview

Spoke and interviewed over the phone in two interviews. Mostly behavior questions and what I was involved in at school and why I wanted the position. It was different for me because I was in the Northeast and was interviewing for the position across the country.

Wanted something closer to home.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at JMP Securities in September 2012.

Interview

Interviewed for Biotech group. Mostly fit questions. Friendly people

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at JMP Securities (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

I was hired as an experienced associate. The interview process depended almost entirely on speaking with the senior analyst I would be working with. My interviews with him included discussing the sector in general, discussing specific companies and what I liked and disliked about them. I also had to provide references which was the most important part. Since I had previously worked in research with people he knew their recommendation was more important than anything. I also went into the office to meet a few other people. Some of the other analysts in our vertical mostly to make sure I was reasonably presentable and could talk to people. The interview process would also normally include speaking with a specialty sales person but in my case this individual was out of the office. In addition, he had me update a one of his models for the latest quarter which is easy if you have experience working in models. He emailed it to me and had me email it back so he knew roughly how long it took. I also updated the forecast to be roughly in line with consensus since I didn't know his thesis and whether he would want to be above or below the street.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. I needed to know the industry and the "stories" of the major players in the large markets and be able to speak intelligently about both and how the macro environment at the time could impact them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The pay was drastically below market but several people in the industry recommended I take it anyway as the senior analyst I am working with is very good. HR said they bring in all associates at the same level and they can adjust that after you start based on performance (still waiting to see how this plays out).

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at JMP Securities in January 2010.

Interview

It was really great. I felt that the people cared about me and the experiences I had.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at JMP Securities in April 2009.

Interview

I reached out to the research analyst who I heard was looking to hire an associate. After interviewing with him for an hour (largely fit questions) I was asked to write a short initiation report on a company under his coverage. After that I conducted one phone interview with head of sales and our DoR. After this process was finished I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you given your lack of writing experience in a research capapcity?   Answer Question
    • Why would you want to make the transition from the buy-side to the sell-side?   Answer Question