Jones Day Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 3, 2017

2.8

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jones Day (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

Met with the manager of project assistants/paralegals, current project assistant, staff attorney, and HR manager. Everyone was really nice but my interview took two days and a total of about 4.5 hours and no one ever contacted me again. Although they requested my availability for the following week to meet with attorneys, I never heard back. I understand if I did not get the job but I believe it is rather unprofessional to keep someone in the interview process for 3 weeks and never contact them again, regardless if you are going to offer them employment or not. Luckily I was hired by another firm the following week.

Interview Questions

• How detail oriented are you? How do you work under pressure to meet deadlines? Give an example.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jones Day (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

Typical callback style interview. Met with about 5 attorneys for about 20 minutes each followed by lunch. Each interview was pretty conversational, however there were one or two behavioral interview questions. Turnaround time from callback to offer was a few days. Make sure you know why you want to be a lawyer and why you want to work there.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly "why Jones Day?" and "why work in this city?"   Answer Question

Human Resource Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jones Day (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Was called to schedule an interview. Arrived at interview early, waited in lobby until 20 minutes past scheduled interview time. Then taken to conference room to begin interview, only to wait another 20 minutes until one of the hiring managers arrived. Then waited another 20 minutes after that person interviewed me to be interviewed by the other hiring manager. Then taken to a computer room to take an aptitude test. Waited 30 minutes after completing the test to be retrieved by the hiring manager only to be released to go home. Entire process took 5 hours, and only a fraction of that time was actually used for interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Can you use Microsoft Office, Excel, etc?   1 Answer

Associate Attorney Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Jones Day.

Interview

I had five interviews in total. All of them were very friendly. Although no substantial legal questions were asked, a lot of "culture fit" questions were posed. Interviewers were very open to questions of my own. All interviewers were in the same page with the culture and the team work approach.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jones Day.

Interview

Standard questions; focus is on pedigree. There's nothing surprising here, it's how any OCI goes for a good law school. The firm really wants people from certain schools, or with certain backgrounds (very high GPA/class ranking, law review, etc.). Bilingual is a plus for them. The firm is generally conservative.

Interview Questions

• Name a challenge you have faced in law school.   1 Answer

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Jones Day (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed with recruiter which went well and sent me over to office after the next few days and started working as a full-time temp for 2 years before getting hired on as Jones Day employee.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jones Day.

Interview

The on-campus interview is a relatively short, 20-minute meeting with one or two persons from the firm. Typically, the interviewer will spend the majority of the interview asking you questions about your resume, interests, and goals. You will also have a chance to ask questions about the firm.
    • Know your resume: Be prepared to answer questions about your academic achievements, work experi-
    ence, and interests.
    • Know the firm: You can and should ask questions about the firm, but don’t ask about facts easily acces-
    sible on the firm’s web site or NALP form. Demonstrating that you’ve done some research and know some
    of the firm’s unique attributes conveys to the interviewer that you are genuinely interested in his or her firm.
    • Be yourself: You should be professional, but not cold or stiff. Being a well-rounded, personable human
    being is important to being a good lawyer.
    • Be enthusiastic: Law firms want associates who want to be there. First, because firms spend a lot of
    money training young associates. Second, because it’s much more enjoyable to work with others who are excited about being members of the team.

Project Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jones Day.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter through their online system. I was contacted for a brief phone interview a few weeks later, then went for an in-person interview after that. I met with their hiring manager and then three attorneys in the practice area I was being considered for (one of whom had previously been a Project Assistant herself). Then I met with an HR representative who went over salary and benefits with me. It was about a month before I heard back from them and was offered a position - I went with another job but remain very impressed by Jones Day.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle multiple deadlines and time management? How well do you handle working with different personality types?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jones Day (Cleveland, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

Rigorous, series of interviews first with HR & then with hiring manager. First go over in detail job requirements, benefits, salary etc.. Hiring manager went over background, was very easygoing and friendly, but definitely got technical and probed. You can tell they mean to be thorough & very selective.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jones Day (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Great and fast Interview. The Lady was very helpful. They had water and other items for you in case needed. They keep you waiting a short period of time.