K1 Investment Management Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

K1 Investment Management Interview Questions

Interviews at K1 Investment Management

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at K1 Investment Management (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

Started out with easy phone screening interview with friendly HR rep. Was required to complete a few online assessments before scheduling an in person interview at their office in El Segundo. Once I arrived i was first asked to re-take the online test to prove that it was me that took it before. Interviewed by a senior partner first. The partner was not friendly and employed some tricky interview tactics such as asking me to repeat my answers from much earlier in the interview. Second interviewer was nice.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses? Then after answering asks to name one more.
      *He employs this same trick with everyone*   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at K1 Investment Management (Manhattan Beach, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

I had one interview with K1. I applied for the position through the USC career development center. I received an email from their vice president inviting me to interview the day after I submitted my resume online. I interviewed with an associate first and then a VP. The entire interview process took under an hour. Both interviews were very casual--the VP was wearing jeans. They both started with "describe yourself." The associate briefly asked me about my resume and what I knew about private equity. The associate interview seemed like more of a screening process--to see what I was like as a person, a candidate and if I had any knowledge at all about what they do at K1. During the interview with the VP, I was asked about my resume, my top 5 qualities, what I knew about private equity, and why K1. I forgot to ask the timeline for receiving an offer. Despite a thank you note and expressing that I was very interested in the position, I received no follow up from K1 after my interview.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at K1 Investment Management (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I initially found out about K1 through a friend who had recommended the company. Upon interviewing, I met with most of the junior team and the hiring manager during my first in-person interview. The team was friendly and the process took around 2 hours or so. The next round took a bit longer but I had the opportunity to talk with all of the partners.

Interview Questions

• The questions spanned a broad range of topics and each interviewer had his/her own specific style. Definitely know your resume! There wasn't material that I needed to study beforehand but I would recommend that future interviewers have a clear sense of why they're interested in the industry and why K1 specifically.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at K1 Investment Management (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

After applying, I was contacted by HR to complete a series of tests online. After a few weeks, I received an invitation for a phone interview with the hiring manager. He asked me about my interest in finance as well as a few technical questions. Shortly after the phone interview, I was invited to interview at the office, where I met all the Partners and other Associates. Everyone was friendly and the interview lasted about 3 hours. The questions focused on my background, skill set, and why I was interested in private equity. I had a deadline to meet regarding an offer and the company moved quickly to meet it.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at K1 Investment Management (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Phone interview very short. The young man who interviewed me was very dry and it seemed like he was still tired from the holidays. It took a while I applied in mid December was not able to speak with someone until the 3rd of January.

Interview Questions

• What do you think makes a good assistant ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at K1 Investment Management (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

I applied online and received a call back asking to schedule a phone screen with the recruiter. During the phone screen I was given little information on the company and the position. I was then asked to have two follow up calls with the hiring managers (HM).

The first (HM) ended up calling me 45 minutes late, which is understandable. We went through my academic and professional history. As I went through my academic and professional history the HM would follow up with questions after each statement I made. We had to end the interview short as I had to run considering the timing. I was asked by the HM to schedule a follow up call, which I agreed to as well. After reaching out to the recruiter about rescheduling I was ignored and instead the recruiter confirmed my interview with the second HM.

The day of the interview with the second HM we had to reschedule to a different time, which is understandable. The second HM had never called me however. I reached out to the recruiter and rescheduled for the week after, which was the HM’s next availability. The day of the interview I sent an email to the recruiter to confirm the HM will still be able to make the call, my email was completely ignored. As I waited for 30 minutes past my scheduled interview time slot, I realized I once again was forgotten about. I immediately reached out to the recruiter and HM. The recruiter apologized and said “I completely understand if you wish to withdraw from the process”. Naively, I asked to be rescheduled, once again. I sent this email at noon. The recruiter then emailed me at 11pm to tell me they went with another candidate.

I’ve been working with numerous different recruiters at various firms and have friends that are also recruiters. This had to be the worst scheduling and interviewing process I’ve ever dealt with. I’ve wasted hours prepping for these interviews.

I believe that K1 Investments is a great company and has a strong market strategy that will continue to show success. However, if the firm wants to hire any decent talent they need completely change their recruiting process and recruiters.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at K1 Investment Management (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by HR the following day to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straight forward, which lasted about roughly 25 minutes. I did not receive an offer.

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at K1 Investment Management.

Interview

Aptitude test, phone screen, multiple in-person interviews. Process took over a month. Recruiter's sense of timing was off, slightly misleading. Junior members of the team were helpful and available.

Interview Questions

• Many standard questions, but also some probing, deeply personal and borderline inappropriate questions. Top brass is eccentric.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at K1 Investment Management in January 2018.

Interview

Before being invited to the El Segundo office for "superday" style in-person interviews, they put me through a cognitive exam, HR phone screening, and phone interviews with a Senior Associate and Partner on the BD team. Most questions were very fit focused. Once in the office (with 4-5 other candidates), no one seemed to know the interview schedule or where interviews were being held. Most of my interviews took place outside on benches in the courtyard of their offices. I was told they were growing so fast that they didn't have room to set up interviews in offices. Everyone I met with was very knowledgeable and touted the firm's performance; also giving a somewhat prestigious review of the BD Analyst role and its importance to the firm.

After receiving an offer, it was hard to not accept based on the passion and positivity my interviewers spoke with. The downsides were the base pay was much worse than I expected, they do not tell you your performance-based compensation structure, and make you do a mandatory three-month training before offering you benefits, 401k, etc.

After starting with high expectations, I quickly realized this role was not for me. It is 100% cold-call sourcing and data entry plus deal flow was underwhelming; making the low base pay a "deal breaker".

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions, very fit focused, few technical questions on B2B Software market   Answer Question

Business Development Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at K1 Investment Management (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through a university job board. Was contacted by a recruiter who sent me an online assessment. Afterwards, I had a ~30min phone interview. On-campus interview followed by multiple rounds of in-office interviews with the current team and partners.

Pretty straight forward process. Heavy focus on organizational fit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a skill you've developed outside of school.   Answer Question