Kickstarter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Kickstarter

2.5

Sort:

Community Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kickstarter in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online, then was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview. They said they would get back to me by sometime the following week (presumably meaning "if we are interested in hiring you," since I didn't hear back).

Interview Questions

• What is your philosophy when it comes to working in community support?   Answer Question
    • Unfortunately we can't make everyone we talk to happy. Tell me about a time when you handled a difficult client or customer. If you don't have a relevant experience, tell me how you would handle it.   Answer Question

Outreach Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kickstarter.

Interview

Two phone interviews that went really well. Engaging conversations with both hiring managers. Both calls lasted about 30-45 mins. I felt like both people gave me a great overview of the role and what’s expected.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kickstarter.

Interview

Phone screen, technical phone call with CTO, take home project, code review of project with developer. The interviews went well overall, but the recruiting team was very disorganized in terms of letting me know the next steps/status. There was a period of 3-4 weeks where I heard nothing from them until I emailed them. Did not receive an offer, as they were looking for someone more senior.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kickstarter in October 2017.

Interview

Recruiter called at a later time, at which point I was on my flight. I emailed to explain the situation, no response. Pretty clear that they don't value candidates' time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Kickstarter (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Poor overall hiring process, their recruiting team is awful with communication. I've never experienced anything like that. I dropped out of the process after accepting an offer with another company.

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kickstarter.

Interview

The Interview Process was a bit strange to me. I was told I'd meet with 2 people and then finish up with an excel test. The excel test was actually basically an accounting exam and when I didn't finish I had to finish and send it back the next day. Maybe that's common with start ups/small companies but I had never experienced that before. Took away time from my current job which I didn't like. Seems like a great company to work for but the interview process definitely threw me off.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kickstarter in February 2017.

Interview

PROS:
    + Quick response time and update after my interview
    + Helpful recruiting coordinator / prompt emails for scheduling

CONS:
    - Negative tone from interviewer
    - HR team seems to be in early stages / not as developed as I expected for a company this size (recruiter role has been vacant for over a year)

I applied online and a few weeks later received an email to schedule a basic 30-minute "get-to-know-you" phone interview with someone from Operations. I was disappointed to quickly find that my interviewer was not very friendly, nor did she seem remotely interested in learning anything about me/my experience. Instead, she spent a good deal of the call describing the old HR Director and how difficult it's going to be to fill her shoes. (I wasn't even interviewing for that position). I left the call feeling pretty turned off by the exchange. I understand that sometimes these calls can be time-consuming and tedious, but that's no reason to forgo basic kindness (or just fake it for 30 minutes!). Every interaction makes an employer brand impression...don't forget that when speaking with candidates, Kickstarter.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of roles have you recruited for?   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Kickstarter (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied via the website and heard back from the recruiting team about 3 weeks later. We scheduled an initial interview for the following Monday which was subsequently cancelled via email on Saturday. On Tuesday I received a follow-up requesting a phone interview with the CTO that afternoon.

In a 30 minute call, I was faced with a barrage of largely situational questions that were nearly impossible (IMO) to answer thoroughly given that I didn't know the team, the players, or the company structure at all (how could I as an outsider?). There was little discussion of my background or why it was relevant to the position, just question after question of "how would you handle this scenario?"

Additionally there was little time left for me to ask any questions during the process...

Interview Questions

• Your CEO and COO are in disagreement over which major feature to build next, how would you mediate?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kickstarter (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I interviewed at Kickstarter for a data analyst position in November 2016. I had another very high offer, but I believed in their mission and really liked everyone I met with, so I was really excited about working there. They came in on Tuesday morning with an offer 20k below my current salary, which I guess I should have mentioned earlier, but I felt that the hiring manager understood that I was looking for a more advanced role and that the salary would be in line with that. I’m a woman and I have been burned by gender wage inequality in the past, which has consistently been blamed on my own failure to negotiate. Hoping to prevent that this time around, I enlisted two male colleagues to guide me through the negotiation process, who kept assuring me that nothing bad could happen if I asked for more money. I really tried to work with Kickstarter, having multiple phone conversations, mentioning extra vacation days, etc, and ultimately just asked them to match my current salary.

On Friday at 2:30, they had still not met my current number. When I mentioned again, very nicely, that 5k more to match would seal the deal, the recruiter said, “if it’s just about the money….” and she actually scoffed at me. Like I said, I am new at this, and as a woman trying to negotiate, I feel damned if I do and damned if I don’t. She asked if I could let them know by EOD or early Saturday morning, and I agreed. I spent the next few hours trying to figure out if their team and the role were good enough to justify a pay cut — and then, at 5:55 on Friday evening(!), I received an e-mail from the recruiter that they were rescinding my offer.

I am deeply saddened that this company, whose mission I truly believed in, would actually TAKE BACK an offer because of whatever societal standards for women’s behavior I didn’t conform to when I tried to advocate for myself. I have never heard of this happening, and as much as I’ve tried, I cannot imagine this same thing happening to a man.

If they try to sell you on their values of diversity and progressiveness, please do not believe them. It is up to every individual in a progressive place to check themselves on implicit biases, and there is no excuse. If you are a woman who is considering working there, please take my experience to heart and trust that they do not practice what they preach, and you deserve better. If you are anyone of any gender identity who is interviewing there, proceed with caution even after you have an offer, because they are not trustworthy.

Interview Questions

• The interview was very personality-focused, with not many technical questions, if any. I had 6 interviews at 45 minutes each, which really is enough time to make sure that you mesh with someone, and I passed all of those. I was given a standard take-home project after I went it, which I sent in 2 days after it was sent to me.   Answer Question

Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kickstarter in August 2017.

Interview

Scheduled phone screen with recruiter who never called at the scheduled time.

I wish there was more to write about, but there isn't and this box has a thirty word minimum.