Knewton Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Knewton Interview Questions

Interviews at Knewton

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and took around 3 weeks before I got an email from the HR for an initial interview. She asked me behavioral questions. I think it went well because they sent me a take home test. All the people seem to get the same test. I solved it and sent it back the same day. I was told they would get my test checked and reply within couple of weeks. No reply came, even after 3-4 follow ups over a period of a month.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Knewton in September 2014.

Interview

Talked to some employees at a career fair. They liked me and gave me a USB with a coding challenge on it. Completed it in 2 or 3 hours and then forwarded it to the team. They answered back asking for my resume. When I sent that to them I then experienced radio silence. When I reached out to HR and recruiting to check up on the process I never received an answer

Interview Questions

• Coding challenge consisted of a list of user band likes and finding bands that appear on users its together more than N amount of times.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton in November 2014.

Interview

I handed my resume to a recruiter at school's CS/tech job fair, and was contacted about a month and a half later. I was set up with an initial HR phone call (I don't think it was a screen, just a call), and then given a coding challenge a couple days later, which had a very flexible deadline.

Interview Questions

• The coding question takes 1-5 hours, depending on which language you decide to use (aka which program speed / implementation time tradeoffs you want to make).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton.

Interview

Submitted a resume via their website; someone replied pretty quickly (within 1-2 days). After a phone chat with HR, was given a take-home problem. After that, I went through a phone interview. Then a 4-hour in-person interview (2 technical interviews, and 2 interviews for fit). I came in once more to discuss final fit and salary/benefits.

Interview Questions

• Thinking about space/time complexity was not something I needed to do at my previous job, so found myself having to really think things through during the technical interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

The hiring process is pretty straightforward:
    - Write a program on your own time to solve the problem they provide. Choose your favorite language and provide them with the code and instructions how to compile/run it.
    - Have a phone interview with an engineer. The interview is pretty technical, so prepare to write code on a shared editor. Also prepare to answer general questions about your resume and your interests (software related).
    - Onsite interview has 4-5 different interviews. Mine had 5. The questions ranged from method implementations to problem solving to system design.

Be prepared to answer questions on the whole spectrum of software development. Your are expected at one time or another to work on all those parts, which is the fun part about joining a company like Knewton.

Overall the experience was very pleasant. The people I interviewed with were very nice, and I enjoyed the atmosphere and the culture there.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online and they contacted me through e-mail by assigning me a coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• None, just a simple coding challenge and I was given the weekend.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

In-person first round interview. Interviewer was very nice and encouraging. The company seemed like it had a relaxing atmosphere. The interview was typical of technical interviews with coding questions. Was also asked a graph-theory type question.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that returns true if a number is a palindrome.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

It began with a brief screening/get to know you, and then a typical 45 minute technical phone interview. The process was very positive - the recruiter was extremely helpful and nice. The interviewer also made the phone call much more comfortable by talking through the problems.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Knewton.

Interview

This was one of the best interview experiences I've ever had, even though it didn't result in an offer. The steps were fairly standard: short online application, phone screen with recruiter, take-home exercise, phone interview with department head, round of in-person interviews. Everyone was extremely friendly, helpful, prompt, and responsive, the process seemed well-organized, and I felt that I got a very clear and favorable impression of the team and company culture.

One thing in particular that stood out was that the coding portion of the in-person interview happened on an actual laptop (Mac) with a familiar programming environment and internet access, and I was given some time to work on the problem on my own before the interviewers came back in to discuss my solution and watch me finish coding it up. Not sure if they do that for all technical/semi-technical roles or if it was specific to this role, but it felt like a more accurate representation of my abilities than coding on a whiteboard or piece of paper and having to perform the entire problem-solving process out loud.

There were two things about the in-house round that were somewhat unexpected and that I feel I should pass along in case it helps others prepare:
    - The schedule I was given beforehand had 30 minutes or so marked as "break" which ended up being the time I had to prep for the team (panel) interview. I felt like I ran out of steam a little bit because I had been counting on having a break longer than a quick trip to the restroom. The whole in-house round was only a half-day, though, so it's totally doable if you know what to expect.
    - I expected the team interview at the end to be more of a back-and-forth discussion, whereas it ended up being more like me presenting and then the others asking questions. Again, totally fine, but I would have managed my energy differently if I had realized that.

All in all, an extremely positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions about representing the relationships between learnable concepts, and what inferences we can make about how a learner will perform when we have very limited information. I'd recommend reading their white paper early on in the application process.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

FIrst there was a phone interview with the recruiter and then there were two skype interviews with members of the team I was joining. All of it was very casual just asking about what I was interested and why, and how I would handle certain situations. No silly logic puzzles.