Konami Gaming, Inc. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Konami Gaming, Inc. Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2017

3.2

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc..

Interview

The interview process was first a phone interview followed by a "take home" coding test in which 5 hours of time was allotted. When the test was evaluated an onsite interview was granted. During the onsite interview I spoke with the Director of the embedded software engineering group.

Interview Questions

• The interview was primarily to see if I was a fit for the team as my technical abilities had already been accessed.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. (Las Vegas, NV) in December 2016.

Interview

The process was formal, the interviewers appeared to have a set list of questions to ask. There were no trick questions.

I hesitated on accepting because the reviews on Glassdoor were mostly negative. The experience I had with the interviewers was positive. I felt that they listened to the answers I gave. The job was accurately described and there were no surprises.

Interview Questions

• Primarily it was on C++ programming, with some design patterns and overall software engineering and project development questions.   Answer Question

Art Designer Interview

Interview

Pretty normal interview. Interview with art managers was fine. Normal basic questions you would expect. On the spot art critique on games the company has already done. Nothing crazy here, seems by the book and don't stray too far. The job requires a basic art fundamental understanding, nothing more. Pretty average interview

Interview Questions

• How do you handle changes when asked?   1 Answer

Mathematician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. in June 2016.

Interview

HR contacted me a few days after submitting my resume to schedule a phone screen. After the HR screen, there was a phone interview with the game design manager. A couple of days afterwards, I was flown out for an in person interview and met with the whole game design team. I was interviewed by the manager, the director of slot product, and finally the VP of Games R&D. Got a call back a few days afterwards from HR with an offer.

Overall the process from first contact to job offer took a couple of weeks. Actually getting on board took at least 3 weeks because of the licensing and other regulatory hurdles.

The in person interview consisted of a short math quiz and your standard interview questions. Honestly they seemed to be most concerned about me liking the work, since I had no prior experience with gaming. Just do your research on the company, find some Konami titles that look fun and/or interesting, and talk about why you like them from a game design and/or math standpoint. Bonus points if you can talk about China Shores, Dragon's Law, and Chili Chili Fire, all of which are successful titles.

Interview Questions

• If you're on a casino floor, what's one feature that's going to make you sit down for a game no matter what?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Maybe push the salary? I don't know what kind of concessions you can expect. Just being an awesome candidate is likely to get you a pretty competitive offer, since they're large enough to have internal ranges and standardized salary preferences. You should probably give me a cut since I've given you the blueprint already ;-)

Senior Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

I was called about 24 hours after I initially submitted my resume. I spoke with someone very briefly; she didn't ask me any specific questions and asked if I could come in the following week to interview in person. I needed to prompt her for details like who I'd be meeting with, interview format, etc.

It was a bit of a red flag that the initial phone call wasn't more detailed. Shortly after we hung up, I received an email confirmation with the below text included (I included as much as I could in the 5k character limit for Glassdoor reviews). I'm a senior level professional with almost ten years of experience in Silicon Valley. The idea that I could be working for a company that would ask me to send something this patronizing was totally off putting. I was warned during my onsite that the company is Japanese (yes, obviously) and that the culture is one of professionalism and respect. I asked specific questions about their culture issues (well documented on Glassdoor) as enticing senior engineers to work for Konami would be part of my job description. They specifically stated that they wanted to lure engineers from Silicon Valley, which is when I brought this up. I was told the culture is inflexible, the perks are minimal and they aren't able to offer flexible schedules or a casual environment. What they can offer, I was told, is the prestige of working for Konami and for the right engineer, that should be enough. *eye roll*. It was clear that management has minimal experience actually working with or recruiting engineers, had severe budget constraints and absolutely no ability to contemplate the myriad of hiring issues in a creative way. I asked my interviewer specifically about Senate Bill 9 and she had never heard of it and had no knowledge or concept of how it would affect their hiring plan, even though the bill was largely sponsored by Konami Gaming.

I was asked to follow up with a call the next week and when I emailed regarding scheduling I was told that I "need to be patient" and would hear back soon, which I did not. I was excited to interview with Konami but after experiencing their outdated approach to candidate outreach, I'm glad it didn't work out.

TIPS TO PREPARE FOR YOUR INTERVIEW

Research the company: Prior to your interview, research the company you are interviewing with online. User a search engine to find out locations, history, mission statement, and any information related to your job. Interviewers like to know you did your homework.

Telephone Etiquette: Answer the phone yourself, let family members and/or roommates know you are expecting a call. When you answer the phone, answer with your name i.e. Jane Doe (in a perky tone of voice) so the interviewer knows they have reached the right person. Use the interviewer's title during the conversation (Mr. or Ms. and their last name). Only use a first name if they ask you to. Otherwise, use the formal title. Listen to the interviewer and don't interrupt. If you have something you want to say, jot it down on your note pad and mention it when it's your turn to talk. If you need a few seconds to gather your thoughts, don't worry, but don't leave too much dead air. If you need the interviewer to repeat the question, ask. During the phone interview, you'll need to sound as professional as you would if you were meeting the interviewer face to face:

* Don't chew gum or eat while you're on the phone.
        * Have a glass of water close by, in case you need a sip or two during the conversation.
        * Standing up is an option to consider. Sometimes you can focus better when you're standing.
        * Be sure to smile. Smiling will project a positive image to the listener and will change the tone of your voice.
        * Speak slowly and enunciate clearly.
        * Don't ramble on so the interviewer can't interject or ask more questions.

Thank you note: During the course of your interview, be sure to get the first and last name of every person you meet. If possible, ask for a business card from every team member with whom you interviewed. After your interview, promptly send out a brief thank you note to each interviewer to thank them for their time. Interviews are an investment on both ends, so be appreciative of the opportunity and let them know how much you enjoyed speaking with them (even if you didn't).

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a manager who wants to terminate an employee? Most of the questions were very generic.   1 Answer

Accounts Receivable Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. in October 2014.

Interview

I met with 2 others after the generic HR questions. Again, I felt like these 2 were unprepared as well and were not very friendly. Based on the way the interviews were ran I felt that the company would not be a good fit for my personality. They seemed a bit snotty and uptight. I have since been told that some recruiters will no longer work to recruit for them because of how picky they are about hiring. They are looking for a "specific" person to fit their culture, but who knows what that culture is....quiet? Uptight? Unprepared? It was hard to get a feel for the culture because I felt like I never had a chance from the moment I shook their hands... maybe they are looking for someone that looks a certain way... Good luck! I've now seen the same position posted for over a month..

Interview Questions

• HR goes through standard questions regarding specific negatives or positives from pervious jobs. She literally had a printed out sheet of basic questions....   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc..

Interview

The interview process was quite intricate, but manageable. I'd say to research the Synkros system, as well as the company itself. Also, be familiar with some of the casino games that they create and support.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, there weren't any monumentally difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They weren't disagreeable in terms of the salary terms, but they tend to stick to their guns.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. (Las Vegas, NV) in August 2012.

Interview

The H.R. (or lack thereof) at this company is abysmal. You will go through perhaps 7 interviews to get a position. It is as if they are screening you to be the next POTUS. I ultimately chose to leave Konami Gaming due to the sense of how LEAN everything was. The people in the interview will mention this IF you ask about the culture, which I make a point of doing. When they say LEAN, just know that they mean that the company is CHEAP as can be and will even have you buy your own KLEENEX! They cannot "afford" basic office supplies, let alone employee support services or training.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   3 Answers

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. (Las Vegas, NV) in February 2012.

Interview

Bit of a long delay in the hiring process. Emailed me a programming pre test. Which I think is good since I started in SW Engineering. Spoke w/several employees and head of R&D. Follow up meeting with HR and then drug tests.

Interview Questions

• General questions at the time since the programming test covered the technical   Answer Question

Game Dev Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. (Las Vegas, NV) in November 2008.

Interview

This seemed like the perfect position, and it was quite a difficult thing to decline. The manager I spoke with was absolutely professional and impressive. The operation is great. Plus, I love Las Vegas.

I was contacted by a recruiter, who then organized the interview. A couple weeks later, I visited the company and met with HR and the manager. His English wasn't perfect (a Japanese fellow), but he was extremely nice and had a great sense of humor.

He spent a lot of time telling me about the position, and then asked some very specific questions about games and the gaming market. He was very curious about my background and how it would fit into the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you think we fit in with our competitors in the Nevada market?   2 Answers

It was torture to decline this offer. However, the salary offer was lower than my current salary. Essentially, it would have cost me a lot of money to take this job. There were potential bonuses, but I really like to see this type of thing in writing.