Lonely Planet Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 2, 2017

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Franklin, TN) in October 2016.

Interview

The initial screening was conducted over the phone with an HR representative and one member of the team. Most of the initial questions centered around cultural fit. The second phase was to complete a coding challenge. The final phase was an interview with the remote manager directly responsible for the team.

Interview Questions

• Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit? Meaning, can you help us develop ideas as well as code?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Franklin, TN) in July 2015.

Interview

Included phone interview, then an in-person interview, followed by a follow-up interview to meet the whole team. Questions were specific to agency experience, management & methodology, as well as assessing my response to a variety of scenarios, resources, and best practices. Initial interview was with the office manager and Senior Program Manager. Followed by a meeting with individual departments, including Design, Development, Content Production, mixed with Global Director and Head of Program Management.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience where you had to deal with a conflict with colleague/coworker, and how did you resolve the situation?   Answer Question
    • Describe your agency experience and how you feel you can add value to the company?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Interview

Standard Interview process. Call with the recruiter, HR, CTO and Hiring Manager. Prepare a small test site to scale. Had to do a live javascript coding challenge during onsite interview.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Nashville, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

Step 1: Preliminary phone interview with internal recruiter (light technical questions and commentary)
    Step 2: Speak with a team manager/lead (more in-depth technical questions and commentary)
    Step 3: Complete a coding exercise through their GitHub organization via a forked repository

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet.

Interview

I talked to an internal recruiter for an introductory chat. This was good - set the expectations for both sides. Since a developer was not available (vacation or sick or both). They gave me an take home assignment. It was not a difficult assignment, just time consuming. I was applying for a Ruby on Rails position and hence I used Rails to solve the problem. After reviewing my assignment, they decided not to continue. They provided feedback (which I appreciated) but it was a disappointing to find out why they decided not to continue.

They specified that I used deprecated methods (which wasn't the case, I double checked after since I started to doubt my choice). They thought Rails was difficult to setup (again, applying for a Rails position). They seemed to have a lot more comments about the tests rather than the code, so beware.

Interview Questions

• Take home assignment - not that difficult, but time consuming   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Nashville, TN) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied for position online and heard back for initial phone interview within a day or less. Completed the initial phone screening and then scheduled a video interview with some engineers in Melbourne later on in the week. Once that was scheduled interviewed with two engineers and discussed my previous work history, what my background was and how I got to where I was currently at.

Interview Questions

• How do you add a large quantity of email addresses to Google Apps?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Nashville, TN) in November 2013.

Interview

Submitted my resume, Had an initial phone screening, Had a Skype interview with developers in Austraila, Had a face to face with the number 2 and number 3 person of the company.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have with Commvault and DFS   1 Answer

Decided to stay with the company I am with currently

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Oakland, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Panel interview with several tech questions... very tough questions, if you get one right you should be proud. They are not interested in right or wrong answers, just how you think.

Interview Questions

• Given a scenario with 4 possible avenues of resolution.. select the best.. was difficult as I did not know what the organization values were.. key is to ask questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room for neg as they had a salary in mind already.

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Lonely Planet.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews. The first one was a technical grilling where engineers assessed technical skill for the job. Second round was more senior people that assessed people skills and suitability for the job. The last round was with hiring manager and HR representative to check cultural fit and general HR-ness. Interviews became gradually more relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you deal with someone who doesn't want to do what you think they should be doing.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in August 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter with a role in Lonely Planet. After that he contacted the manager in Lonely Planet and he seemed to be interested in my profile. After that the sent me a code assignment in Ruby. After 2 days I sent back the code assignment and 1 week later the recruiter called me with a basic "No"

Interview Questions

• Basically I discussed my motivations in relocating with the recruiter and he gave me an overview of Lonely Planet.   Answer Question