Lonely Planet Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Lonely Planet

2.9

Client Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Nashville, TN) in September 2017.

Interview

Received an e-mail from a senior member of the department to set up a phone interview. That phone call was with the same person, and lasted about an hour. We talked about some of their current projects and how the departments work together. The conversation was professional, but casual - more like a meeting than a list of interview questions. Interviewer said that she would call back by Tuesday (three business days), but did not. I called to follow up a week after the interview, and was told they were still interviewing, so I guess I didn't impress her enough. About a week later I got a form e-mail about not being selected.

Interview Questions

• What methods do you use in your management style?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet.

Interview

I talked to an internal recruiter for an introductory chat. This was good - set the expectations for both sides. Since a developer was not available (vacation or sick or both). They gave me an take home assignment. It was not a difficult assignment, just time consuming. I was applying for a Ruby on Rails position and hence I used Rails to solve the problem. After reviewing my assignment, they decided not to continue. They provided feedback (which I appreciated) but it was a disappointing to find out why they decided not to continue.

They specified that I used deprecated methods (which wasn't the case, I double checked after since I started to doubt my choice). They thought Rails was difficult to setup (again, applying for a Rails position). They seemed to have a lot more comments about the tests rather than the code, so beware.

Interview Questions

• Take home assignment - not that difficult, but time consuming   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Oakland, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Panel interview with several tech questions... very tough questions, if you get one right you should be proud. They are not interested in right or wrong answers, just how you think.

Interview Questions

• Given a scenario with 4 possible avenues of resolution.. select the best.. was difficult as I did not know what the organization values were.. key is to ask questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room for neg as they had a salary in mind already.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Nashville, TN) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied for position online and heard back for initial phone interview within a day or less. Completed the initial phone screening and then scheduled a video interview with some engineers in Melbourne later on in the week. Once that was scheduled interviewed with two engineers and discussed my previous work history, what my background was and how I got to where I was currently at.

Interview Questions

• How do you add a large quantity of email addresses to Google Apps?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Nashville, TN) in November 2013.

Interview

Submitted my resume, Had an initial phone screening, Had a Skype interview with developers in Austraila, Had a face to face with the number 2 and number 3 person of the company.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have with Commvault and DFS   1 Answer

Decided to stay with the company I am with currently

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Nashville, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

Step 1: Preliminary phone interview with internal recruiter (light technical questions and commentary)
    Step 2: Speak with a team manager/lead (more in-depth technical questions and commentary)
    Step 3: Complete a coding exercise through their GitHub organization via a forked repository

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lonely Planet (Franklin, TN) in October 2016.

Interview

The initial screening was conducted over the phone with an HR representative and one member of the team. Most of the initial questions centered around cultural fit. The second phase was to complete a coding challenge. The final phase was an interview with the remote manager directly responsible for the team.

Interview Questions

• Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit? Meaning, can you help us develop ideas as well as code?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lonely Planet.

Interview

It started normal enough - a phone screen with HR, then a video (Google Hangouts) chat with my potential boss. I will say that video interview was very odd. I think I was asked maybe one question and he talked the rest of the time. He seemed nice enough even though I wouldn't say interviewing was his strong suit. After that things kind of went downhill with two week long radio silences (not even a "Sorry it's taking so long) and when I asked if they could give me a timeline of the process they couldn't even manage that. Finally I was emailed a set of questions that appeared to be taken from a Medium article on "Interview Questions from Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft" and asked to write answers and email them back. Okay, cool. Still nothing, so I can only assume I got ghosted. It seems like they could be a cool company to work for but they've got issues with their process which doesn't seem to bode well for their future.

Customer Service Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Lonely Planet.

Interview

Had an interview on Google Hangouts. Yes, Google Hangouts. The interview went well despite the fact nobody's microphone was working so I spoke on the phone with just one of the interviewers. Skype would've been better. Seemed very interested in me and then never heard from them again. Of course.

Developer Interview

Interview

Standard Interview process. Call with the recruiter, HR, CTO and Hiring Manager. Prepare a small test site to scale. Had to do a live javascript coding challenge during onsite interview.