Lumos Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lumos Labs Interview Questions

Interviews at Lumos Labs

2.5

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Lumos Labs in April 2014.

Interview

-Met at University Career Fair.
    -Scheduled phone screening within a week: Simple, behavior/resume/culture questions.
    -Skype, 2 on 1, 30 minute coding interview
    -Received take home coding project, finished within a few days.
    -Received phone call with offer. Accepted within the week.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, RI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lumos Labs (Bristol, RI) in October 2014.

Interview

The process was two step for me. I first talked with the HR rep to find out if I fit the company culture. She asked me about my aspirations and work history and all of the more standard interview topics. This is already vastly different from a lot of companies out there. At that point I was directed to a manager on one of the software teams, who asked me more technical questions. I had to solve a few programming mind-benders on the spot. And I was actually turned down, but this is the cool part. The HR rep thought I fit so well that she passed me to another manager, who decided my skill set fit better there, and I was hired! Woohoo!

Interview Questions

• Would you rather get something out quickly or fail a deadline to put more polish into a project?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lumos Labs (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Recruiting here is a joke. They have no ideas whom they are looking for. The interviewer or the hiring manager does not have the same expectation about the candidates. There are so many indicators that the company is NOT a sustainable business. There are so much in changing direction and turnover. I do not feel this is a place you should invest your career. There is no clear direction for the company and the company is struggling. I do not recommend this company to anyone else.

Interview Questions

Lumos Labs Response

Apr 13, 2018 – VP of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your interview experience. It is sometimes the case that we evolve in our understanding of the Company's needs through multiple discussions with... More

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lumos Labs in March 2014.

Interview

The recruiter who did the phone screen was very cordial and asked to describe my experience in various areas, so she could determine skill level as well as subspecialty. A few days later I was notified that though I had a lot of marketing experience it wasn't as relevant to the particular position as they had expected. All in all very professional.

Interview Questions

• As normal, I was asked why I was particularly interested in this company. (That's not unexpected, but you have to think this through and be clear in your own mind.)   1 Answer

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lumos Labs (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Did an initial phone screen and received a design challenge, which they wanted me to work on for no longer than 4 hours. It was an interesting challenge, and despite the fact that I didn't pass, the hiring manager got back to me with actual feedback.

Interview Questions

• Where have you worked before, have you worked on mobile, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lumos Labs (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with internal recruiter, then given a coupon to try the pro version of lumosity and get familiar with the product. Next was a chat with the Hiring manger to talk through my experience and roadmap for the team. A small take home project that was pretty simple but gave a good base to pair with two engineers in the next skype interview. As I was not in SF there was a final Skype interview with a tree based problem using online drawing tools and pseudo code.

Finally had half a day onsite interview with two interviews walking through a mock scenario of designing a product feature in lumosity. Finally a chat with the recruiting manager to talk through the processes and the benefits that Lumos offer.

Everyone I interviewed with were extremely smart, friendly and accommodating. I didn't end up taking this job but only because I was lucky enough to find a more senior role at a company with a similar culture. I'm positive I would have been happy at Lumos had I taken up the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Tree based questions, nothing too complex
      Also a take home Rails project but its not something you have to spend a whole day on   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lumos Labs (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Apply through their website and then recruiter contacted me for resume and most recent project link. Phone from the recruiter within 2 weeks. The interview was 30 mins. If the interview was successful I was going to be invited for the in person interview on their San Francisco office. The interviewer started with explaining about the interview process and introduce what they are doing and what the candidate expectation is. They currently have a few bootcamp graduates and they appear to have great success with them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Lumos Labs?
      Why do you think you are the best fit for the role?
      What kind of project are you doing at this moment?
      What are you passion about other than developing?
      What kind of team work experience do you have and explaining about the difficult situation   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lumos Labs.

Interview

I first had a phone screen with a recruiter. They then proceeded to give me a pretty straight forward coding Challenge with about a week to get it done. On submission, they told me it wasn't quite what they were looking for, they offered feedback on where it could have been better as well. Overall a pretty positive experience.

Interview Questions

• The challenge was to convert one currency to another, but display it in an interesting way.   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lumos Labs (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The design challenge and recruiter interview, as well as the hiring manager interview were pretty standard. The recruiter was prompt for the most part, except when there was a week long period of silence but that was due to illness, so understandable. They asked things about my process, how I have handled challenges in the past, and I felt rather prepared since I have been interviewed for Senior UX positions for large corporations but I have been wanting to work for Lumosity for over 5 years. The part that I felt was very unprofessional was that the manager for the position called me 30 minutes before the scheduled time, catching me off-guard while I was in the middle of finishing a project for a deadline. I could not talk in the moment, and began running to a quiet place to talk (my car parked on the 4th floor garage). I ultimately found a place to talk but could barely hear his questions but didn't want to be rude. I answered everything as best I could, but my final feedback was that my design work was impressive but they wanted someone more "senior". What that means to me is that my abilities didn't come through over the phone, but I wonder what would have happened if I wasn't caught at a bad time, and didn't make the first impression of being unprepared for the call. Hmm.. haven't really learned how to improve for the next interview, and generally even bad interviews teach you how to handle the next one.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your prior experience. What is a challenge that you faced in your current role and how did you solve it? Describe your thought process behind the design challenge.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lumos Labs in January 2015.

Interview

Applied on 1/6 with an internal referral. First phone interview with HR on 1/20 for 30 mins. Second phone interview with Product Manager on 1/23 for 40 mins. Received a rejection letter on 1/26 due to lack of start-up experience.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult or unexpected. Tell me about what you do, what would you do if a team member wouldn't report status, how did you hear about our product, why are you interested in the company...etc.   Answer Question