M*Modal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at M*Modal

2.2

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at M*Modal (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Was referred to an opportunity at MModal through a recruiter who sold me on the company and the culture, which sounded promising. The position was sold as an entry-level position with room to grow, and they just wanted "good engineers".

The phone interview was pretty standard for a technical position with some high and low level CS questions. The interviewer seemed to determined to trip me up and even was mistaken on a CS question, but the recruiter relayed that I did well and wanted to set up an in-person round.

The next interview was even more puzzling (literally and figuratively). 1) My interviewer was not prepared or even in the same building when I arrived and had to wait. 2) The manager/second interviewer blew off my interview for another meeting, so I never spoke to him. 3) My interview was a Java quiz. There were no questions about previous projects, likes, dislikes, or anything really about my resume. The interviewer rattled off a bunch of specific technologies that I didn't have experience with (he knew this from both my resume and phone interview). Honestly, he seemed annoyed that he had to interview me at all which leads me to believe the recruiting agency pushed to have me interviewed against the wishes of the group.

Did not receive an offer: "looking for someone with more experience" was the reason given.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked with Hibernate?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at M*Modal (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2012.

Interview

My first experience with the interview process with M*Modal was a short half hour phone call with my future manager. After that, she sent me a simple software problem to be done in an hour regarding a directed graph with certainty values and how to safely eliminate nodes that dropped below a given threshold without creating dangling nodes in memory. The code was C++ with usage of pointers, classes, and one or two proprietary libraries. She remained available for questions via email during the time I was doing the problem. Afterwards, based on my results, I was brought in for an on-site interview. While there, I was hospitably shown around the facility and provided coffee. While there, I talked with three of the engineers that I would work with as well as my manager. My initial impression was that communication would be an issue. Three of the engineers had strong accents from different nationalities and the one person without an accent spoke in a clipped awkward shorthand common to technical people not necessarily happy with being part of the interviewing process. While there, there was the usual discussion of what stacks and heaps meant (which I addressed in terms of memory, only to find that they were asking about the data structures), inheritance, and what the company did and how my division would fit in. It was overall a pleasant experience that gave me a good overview of the sort of driven technical people I would be working with. I think that I met briefly with one member of HR, but there was no meeting with management above that of my division.

Interview Questions

• I was given a brief explanation of Hidden Markov Models and Gaussian (which confused me at first because my interviewer pronounced it differently) curves and how they related to our business approach. I was then asked to make suggestions as to how the process could be improved. It was very open-ended, which was good in that there were technically no wrong answers, but not so good in that there were, of course, correct answers and the person I was talking with had a good poker face, showing no sign of how I was doing.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation. They provided agreeable terms and I took them. It took a bit of back-and-forth to get insurance information, but that was largely because of the merger, as well as the transition from public to private, which meant that their infrastructure was still adjusting.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at M*Modal (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

I received a call from a recruiting company M*Modal uses in the Pittsburgh area back in the second week of May (a friend of mine was interviewing with the company and gave them my information). I spoke to the first representative (Gina) that told me a little about M*Modal. I was told I would get a phone call from the head recruiter within a couple days. The recruiter, Anthony, actually called same day. Due to work and school we played phone tag until the next day. Anthony and I had about a 30-minute conversation regarding what the company does, the type of environment, and the team. After the conversation, he quickly emailed me a coding sample that one of the teams at M*Modal required. It was a simple reverse string project, however I had to also use JUnit to write unit tests for my design. Once I submitted that, Anthony set up an interview with the hiring manager and team for the following week. When Anthony called me to discuss the time and date, he gave me a pretty good overview of how the company does interviews and questions they may ask. It was like getting the coaching lessons for interviews that you get back in college, but far more informative.

The interview was to last 3 hours, but actually lasted about 4 and half, and was with 4 team members. First was the interview with the hiring manager. The conversation was more laid back, just discussing the company, its history, what they do, and my background (school, previous experiences). The next interviewer asked technical questions such as polymorphism, difference between interface and abstract class, and a couple other basic questions. Then he asked me to implement the high level view (architectural) of Netflix. The goal was to see my thought process, and how I iterated through designs as new requirements are introduced. I will say it was fun to do. Next, he had me implement Fibonacci’s number. I started by implementing the recursion method, which then I was asked to improve it. I made a simple map that had the number-solution as a key-value pair. After that, we discussed implementation differences of XML and JSON (I asked him his preference, etc). The third gentlemen interviewing me wasn’t expecting to do an interview that day, however it made the interview more dynamic. First we discussed my background, and where I felt most comfortable. He would ask a question, and we would have a discussion, then it would prompt him to ask another question. They were simple questions like earlier, except he asked about factory patterns and other design patterns. I was just really learning these in my master’s program, so he went easy on me. The fourth member of the team to interview with had questions that increased in complexity. He also included “theoretical questions” that do not exist in Java, but could some day. He wanted to see my answers based on other things I knew. Basically, can I piece my knowledge of how Java works to answer questions I may not know. He also asked questions regarding different versions of Java (difference between 6, 7 and 8). In addition, he and I had discussions regarding technologies that exist that he liked, I liked, and ones we mutually didn’t like. It was a nice change of pace having to try to think of an answer to something you don’t think you would know, but actually do because of other knowledge you have. Finally, the hiring manager came back in to discuss my pay requirements, benefits, and discuss more about what I would be working on. He told me I would know the following Friday (this interview was on a Friday) their decision.

A week passed without any contact. I emailed Anthony, who told me he would check in. Within 30 minutes he called me to let me know they were doing an interview and he would let me know. A week passed, and I received a few other offers, but after discussions with Anthony and my interviews I felt M*Modal was the best fit. I contacted Anthony to give him a heads up, and he told me he would check in. He asked me what the other companies were offering. I received a phone call the next day before I had to give an answer to a company, letting me know they were planning on hiring me, they were just getting some information together. The following week, I received the offer (not as high as the highest offer, but close). I thought about it over the weekend, and took the offer from M*Modal. Anthony and his team always kept me updated on the process when they knew anything, and always made sure I was ready to go when needed for interviews. It was a great interview process, and the company is very passionate about what they do.

Interview Questions

• Design the architectural view of Netflix.   1 Answer
    • Implement Fibonacci's number, then improve on your original design.   1 Answer
    • Could you declare a final method in an abstract class?   1 Answer
    • For threading, there is Runnable and Thread, which is best to use when?   1 Answer
    • Difference between HashMap and HashTable   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me a salary, and I was told they could wiggle a little bit if need be. However, they added tuition reimbursement for my master's program, so there wasn't much negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at M*Modal (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

Meet with a series of people, some senior and others junior. There was casual discussion about the job requirements. There was some whiteboard work regarding coding in Python and Java. There were a lot of probing questions about the background as written in the resume.

Interview Questions

• Asked to explain the software architecture of a project listed in the resume.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

This was an academic internship program, so there was no formal interview. We were given introductory materials to review and received some training on how to use the company software, etc. It took some time to get everything set up and working correctly, but after that everything went smoothly.

Medical Scribe Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at M*Modal in October 2017.

Interview

Very easy and thorough. I spoke with the recruiter over the phone and he was very pleasant and non-intimidating. He was very informative of company history and expectations of employees.

Medical Transcriptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at M*Modal (Franklin, TN) in November 2008.

Interview

typing test

Negotiation

no negotiation

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at M*Modal.

Interview

It was pretty easy, but it was years ago but from what I remember the recruiter was very pleasant and it was a very easy interview process, which made it pleasant for me as I was just getting my foot in the door with only minimal experience.

Medical Transcriptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at M*Modal (Cincinnati, OH) in April 2017.

Interview

I was acquired through a buy out of another company. There really was not a interview to be done. I was acquired through a buy out from Landmark transcription

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at M*Modal (Atlanta, GA) in July 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with 5 individuals, beginning with the senior manager. Interview process was thorough. Total time spent onsite was about 4 hours. Interviewers received plenty of information from me, but there was not a lot of info about the company/operations provided.