MSCI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Reference Data Analyst-Fixed Income Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (Norman, OK) in January 2019.

Interview

I had interned here for about 8 months as a Market Data Analyst and was refereed by my manager for this position.

The process consisted of the following interviews.
    1. HR Screening - Phone - General Fit for the job - 15 minutes
    2. Hiring Manager - Phone - Tech/Fin screen - 30 mins
    3. Team Member - Onsite - Tech/Fin/Behavioral - 1 hour
    4. Team Member- Onsite - Tech/Fin/Behavioral - 45 mins
    5. Team Member - Onsite - Tech/Fin/Behavioral - 45 mins
    6. Vice President - Phone - Discussion - 30 mins
    7. Executive Director - Phone - General Discussion - 30 mins

Team members usually will have a set of questions.
    - Was asked to explain the general gist of a Perl code/script in two of the interviews.
    - SQL questions
    - Fixed Income Instruments - Pricing of a Bond, Duration, Types of bonds and their behavior and basic definitions.
    - Simple Whiteboard coding questions which test whether you understand the concept of Control flow.
    - General behavioral questions - Plans for 3 and 5 yrs, How do you handle multiple deadlines etc.

Interview Questions

• Basic to Advanced SQL Questions until you are not able to answer to judge your level of Knowledge. This is also done for other skills like Linux, Finance etc.   1 Answer

Junior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSCI in June 2017.

Interview

1st round - Phone interview with recruiter - 2nd round - Phone and online coding session with Software Engineer - Recruiter then sets up 4 more interviews all together. Interview rounds from 3 to 6 held by Executive Directors, Senior Analysts and Managers.

Interview Questions

• MSCI 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th interview questions

Tell me about yourself, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
      Explain your project 4th
      Most difficult thing in your project
      Why do you think you're a good fit for the job? 1st.
      What do you think MSCI does?
      Tell me about a time your were late on submitting an assignment and how did you handle it. 2nd
      Tell me about a time you resolved a team conflict. 2nd. Told teams were ethinically​ different so communication was off. 2nd.
      Tell me about your weaknesses. 2nd. Fear of clients. Obsessed with solving a problem. Turned it into positive by prioritizing tasks and discussing with team members for a different take and perspective on a problem.
      Coding problem - 1 to 100, if multiple of 3 print fizz, if multiple of 5 print buzz, if multiple of both print fizz and buzz only, do not check for multiple of 3 or 5 again.
      What was your role as a team lead? 3rd
      what was the scope of the project? 3rd
      How did you know the project was over? 3rd
      Where do you plan to be in the next 5 years? 3rd
      What can you tell us about Data binding? 3rd
      what can you tell us about LinkedList and ArrayList? Differences and when would you use which? 3rd
      would the data structure change if you used it to store a million items? 3rd
      How did you resolve team conflicts? 3rd
      What is MVC? 3rd
      Write the implementation of a Binary Tree. 4th.
      What is class, object, encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritance, difference between Interface and Abstract class, when would you use which? 5th.
      Model an HTML document in an object oriented pattern. 5th.
      Why WPF over WinForms? 5th.
      Given an array how would you find if it contains any duplicates? 6th
      Given an array how would you find any 2 numbers that add up to a target? 6th   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MSCI (Oklahoma City, OK) in June 2011.

Interview

First, i was contacted by recruiter and she scheduled interview at norman office. Four people interviewed me, first round was about my past work experience and some java, rdbms concepts and rest all people followed same procedure.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MSCI in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by HR after one week. First HR interview, asking about some background and experience in related field, pass that. Then the phone screen where an engineer from MSCI called and talk more about skill sets and coding ability.

Interview Questions

• Given a table of many columns, what software or language you prefer to use to extract those info. After obtaining those info, what would you do to see if they are related to each other   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MSCI.

Interview

From recruiter got an email, then called. And called. And called.

Disjointed connecting for the interview, then at office, errant mtgs, and not always professional receiving staff or interviewers. Parking was an issue too, but those things you can adapt to, when given the right info. Just a disorganized and tense office.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very short, because they were finally in a time crunch and realized my experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MSCI in August 2011.

Interview

Be ready to discuss a lot of logic questions. It was also a very long interview. After an initial interview, then they have you do a technical test. I opted out of going further in the interview process because I decided to go a different way with my career.

I had a negative experience because I hadn't been in the industry long and wasn't prepared for the pressure of having to work through problems out loud for them to see how I processed information. If you're ready for that, then you shouldn't have a negative experience.

Interview Questions

• There are 100 light switches, all of them are off. First, you walk by them, turning all of them on. Next, you walk by them turning every other one off. Then, you walk by them changing every third one. On your 4th pass, you change every 4th one.

You repeat this for 100 passes. At the end, how many lights will be on?   2 Answers
    • Find the error in a piece of code   Answer Question

Software Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (Norman, OK) in June 2014.

Interview

Incredibly thorough, but not tedious. You go through about 4-6 different mini-interviews from different people. They all start with small talk and will try to get to know you. Then they asked different programming questions ranging from general data structure questions to logic creation questions.

Interview Questions

• I'm obligated to not share the questions.   1 Answer

Client Service Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI in March 2009.

Interview

There are a couple of presential interviews, and after that, 2 telephone interviews, where they ask about your academical background, interests, skills, and why you would want to work there. They also ask about any international experiences and extracurricular activities. There are no catches and trick questions, pretty straightforward. The process is also fairly quick, 4 interviews in 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here, or anywhere else in the financial community?   Answer Question

Client Service Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Phone followed by in person interview on site. Met with several team members throughout a single day interview process. They explained the role, skills needed, asked a few financial modeling and derivative securities questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself. Describe your experience and familiarity with our tools.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at MSCI (Norman, OK) in July 2013.

Interview

I had an employee referral but still had to apply online. I got an email from an HR manager and scheduled a window for a phone screen. Phone screen was very simple, asked about my history and resume. Then I scheduled an in person interview. The online application seemed a little light, but before I went in for the interview I was emailed an actual application. I interviewed 3 times on the same day with different 2 person teams. They asked me some employment history questions, looked over my resume and asked a few standard interview questions. I had to ask a lot of questions as they weren't very forthcoming about the job or company. Everything seemed to go well, then I was told I'd hear back either way within the week. Never heard back from the company, even after two emails to the HR manager.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you had difficulty with a coworker and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Week 1: I applied for position via an internal recruiter's post on eFC.
    Week 2: Received an email the next week scheduling a 1:1 phone call with the recruiter. They asked me about my background and skills, then told me more about position. Conversation was very relaxed and short. At end the recruiter said they'd forward my CV to the hiring manager.

Week 2: Received email from recruiter 3 days after phone call saying HM wanted to schedule 1:1 phone call
    Week 3: Spoke with hiring manager - asked me about my background, why I liked the position and told me about the position and the team. I asked about the team and effects of MSCI's recent acquisitions. Again, very easy. Received call from recruiter that evening saying the HM wanted me to visit onsite for panel interview, however MSCI did not offer to pay my travel expenses.

Week 4: Had 1:1's with 5 people over 3 hours, including HM. Each interviewer was very friendly. They did most of the talking - about themselves, the role, the company. Asked me about my background, skillset and some easy technical questions, ie "How do you calculate VaR, what is a CDS, how do you price a future etc"

Week 5: received offer
    Week 6: accepted offer

Interview Questions

• Questions I received were:
      Background:
      What did you like most about your last job?
      Why did you leave?
      What was you favorite class in college?
      How do you feel about living in New York?

Behavioral:
      Why do you like this position?
      Tell me about a time you failed/made a mistake and how you dealt with it

Technical:
      How do you calculate VaR?
      How do you price a future?
      What is a CDS?
      What risk attributes are most important to consider in an equity portfolio?
      What's the difference between a Hedge Fund and a managed account?   Answer Question