MSCI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MSCI Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2017

3.2

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSCI.

Interview

First there was a phone interview followed by in person interview with several people in the department and outside the department. Hung out in one conference room while the interviewers rotated. Break for lunch.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation that you found yourself in and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Junior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSCI in June 2017.

Interview

1st round - Phone interview with recruiter - 2nd round - Phone and online coding session with Software Engineer - Recruiter then sets up 4 more interviews all together. Interview rounds from 3 to 6 held by Executive Directors, Senior Analysts and Managers.

Interview Questions

• MSCI 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th interview questions

Tell me about yourself, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
      Explain your project 4th
      Most difficult thing in your project
      Why do you think you're a good fit for the job? 1st.
      What do you think MSCI does?
      Tell me about a time your were late on submitting an assignment and how did you handle it. 2nd
      Tell me about a time you resolved a team conflict. 2nd. Told teams were ethinically​ different so communication was off. 2nd.
      Tell me about your weaknesses. 2nd. Fear of clients. Obsessed with solving a problem. Turned it into positive by prioritizing tasks and discussing with team members for a different take and perspective on a problem.
      Coding problem - 1 to 100, if multiple of 3 print fizz, if multiple of 5 print buzz, if multiple of both print fizz and buzz only, do not check for multiple of 3 or 5 again.
      What was your role as a team lead? 3rd
      what was the scope of the project? 3rd
      How did you know the project was over? 3rd
      Where do you plan to be in the next 5 years? 3rd
      What can you tell us about Data binding? 3rd
      what can you tell us about LinkedList and ArrayList? Differences and when would you use which? 3rd
      would the data structure change if you used it to store a million items? 3rd
      How did you resolve team conflicts? 3rd
      What is MVC? 3rd
      Write the implementation of a Binary Tree. 4th.
      What is class, object, encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritance, difference between Interface and Abstract class, when would you use which? 5th.
      Model an HTML document in an object oriented pattern. 5th.
      Why WPF over WinForms? 5th.
      Given an array how would you find if it contains any duplicates? 6th
      Given an array how would you find any 2 numbers that add up to a target? 6th   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MSCI (Norman, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed at Norman OK office. I was traveling from Dallas and travel expenses were beared by the company.
    Initially I had two telephonic round where they asked about my previous experience.

The onsite interviews consists of 4 rounds of an hour each followed by Hr interview. All interviews were group interviews like.

I was asked about Java and also given programming questions which needs to be coded on a white board.

Financial Engineer C++ Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

Initially had an HR interview, basic questions. Than next interview with MD of the company. Again behavioral and basic questions. Next interview with team mates, it was very very rigorous

Interview Questions

• C++ questions like virtual destructor, static key word, Few logic related questions, linked list, basic math questions on option pricing, assumptions of black sholes   Answer Question

Index Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Went through 2 rounds of phone interviews with two different people. Was told everything went great and will hear back from them within weeks end about the next steps and never heard back from either of them.

Quant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MSCI (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

There are 2 rounds interviews.
    1st, is walk through resume. I talked with HR. She asked the questions in my resume and ask me some questions about why MSCI, what is my goal in the future? Am I willing to relocate and so on. It looks around 30 minutes.

2nd. Tech interview. The interview asked me some questions about option pricing, stochastic, portfolio management and programming. The questions are very basic, I didn't get well prepare and failed in the tech interview. The interviewer is really nice. It looks around 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• option pricing, stochastic, portfolio management and programming   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY).

Interview

1. 25min phone call with recruiter
    2. On site: 1 45min interview with senior analyst (SQL queries, Valuation Models, Terms and conditions of FI instruments) 2 45min phone interviews with senior analyst and VP in New York office (same type of questions, very conversational)

Interview Questions

• Given this table, write a SQL query to ...   Answer Question
    • What do you see happening to interest rates in the next six months, and why?   Answer Question
    • How would you use Black/Scholes to value a put option with terms...   Answer Question
    • How would you reduce unsystematic risk? Systematic risk?   Answer Question
    • List all the terms and conditions of a bond that might be of interest to an investor.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

hurried and also incredibly arrogant. Al;so mdisorganized place. And people stressing about errors and communication. Not a fun place but economy was rotten. And some of work interesting

Reference Data Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY).

Interview

asked about what classes I took and tested a lot of questions based on the content of the classes. Just like you are doing an mid-term in class, but by oral.

Interview Questions

• Put/call options? Examples?   1 Answer

Model Validation Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MSCI (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and got an email about some basic questions. However, I contacted them to ask for an opportunity and got phone interview. It went well and scheduled for another phone interview with hiring manager next day.

The second phone interview focused on talking about your experience in the past and I thought we had a great time. So it is truly hard to apply for positions at MSCI.