MZ Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MZ Interview Questions

Interviews at MZ

2.7

Analyst Interview

Interview

Two phone screens with recruiter and hiring manager then an 8 hour on-site. Everyone was nice, but the negative experience was due to not receiving a response after the interview to tell me I didn't get an offer.

Decision Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MZ in March 2020.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on Linkedin regarding this position. We had a couple conversations over phone and e-mail, which was followed by a call with the hiring manager. The hiring manager was very nice and professional, and we had a very good discussion regarding past experience, examples of difficult problems I've solved, the open role at MZ, etc... Overall it felt like a positive interview, and I genuinely enjoyed speaking with the hiring manager.

After that, I never heard from MZ again. I reached out to the recruiter, but never heard back. I could understand the decision not to move forward with me in the interview process, but after talking with multiple people in the company, I thought they at least should have actively let me known about not moving forward, as opposed to just leaving me in the dark.

This all occurred during the first few weeks of covid-19 impacting US businesses, so I could understand if some communication fell between the cracks, but I expected more from the recruiter given how responsive and open he was in general.

Interview Questions

• Going over past experiences and logic through solving complex problems   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MZ.

Interview

I have never experienced such a poor excuse of an interview in my entire career. To start, a recruiter reached out and never responded. After, another recruiter reached out and set up an interview.
    The recruiter asked me to tell him about myself and then the entire interview was run by me. I asked questions for almost thirty minutes and received the most depressing answers. When asking about culture, all I learned is that people work hard. When asking about perks (not my biggest concern) I was told that people are hardworking and heard about the great food, but the focus was on how hard people work. Nothing was said about what makes the company stand out from the rest or what makes the employees happy to come to work every day. It didn't sound like the recruiter even enjoyed being there. As mentioned, I ended up filling the entire interview with my questions, he told me he would get back to me, and nothing was heard from him. I have been very interested in working for MZ, but this recruiter, there for over three years, made me reconsider. This could be a rare occurrence, but recruiters should not be making the candidate run the interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MZ (New York, NY) in February 2020.

Interview

Standard phone then online coding interview.

The guy giving the coding interview sounded bored and annoyed the entire time. He didn't discuss any of it he just wanted to get it over with.

Ended up being rejected but I wouldn't have accepted anyway after an experience like this. The stories you've heard about interpersonal issues at machine zone are true!

Game Designer Interview

Interview

Very straightforward and simple. Included both a take-home design exercise and an on-site. Most of the interviewers were just happy to chat after asking some questions to test basic Excel proficiency and high level design knowledge about level, power curve, events, monetization.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MZ (San Francisco, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

Several phone calls with recruiter, a chat with hiring manager and on site. Recruiter asked a lot of questions about my current equity and compensation and had a interrogation-like attitude when asking about them. I declined to move forward with after such a negative experience.

Interview Questions

• How did you develop this product at company XYZ? What did company XYZ do to solve problem X?   Answer Question

Non-coding Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MZ.

Interview

Submitted resume/application via website. Recruiter contacted me the next day to schedule a phone screening. After the phone screening I was given a 2-3 hour test. I completed the test and was informed I'd moved to the next stage: video interview with team manager, team members, and then department manager. 5 people total across 3 interviews.

After my interview, I was told a decision would be made within the next week or two. After that deadline passed and I didn't hear anything, I reached out to the recruiter to inquire. They told me they apologized for the delay and they would have an update for me "tomorrow." A week went by, no update. I reached out again, no response.

It's one thing to not reply to every blind application you receive on a website, but to keep me hanging after both rounds of interviews and committing hours of my time to an unpaid test, is very annoying. Thankfully, I got a much better offer from a company that doesn't create predatory junk mobile games, so blessing in disguise I suppose.

Interview Questions

• Standard stuff for the most part. Lots of questions about working in teams and work environments, a few questions about gaming and mobile/live services   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at MZ (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I was invited for an interview and the interviewer did ALL the talking! I am not sure if they wanted to know anything about me at all since they were very keen on selling the company to me.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at MZ (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

I was contacted on LinkedIn, then had a brief phone screen, then had a "fit" interview on a Friday at the company happy hour, then had a formal interview.

I was excited about the role until the actual formal interview. 2 of the interviewers were extremely combative and rude, especially one of the marketing directors. He essentially accused me of lying on my resume, and it wasn't until he realized that what I had written was true because it happened a few years ago that he saw he was wrong. He didn't apologize or anything, he just tried to grill me into admitting that something I had done was made up. I nearly walked out of the interview at that point.

Another interviewer was some sort of PhD in statistics, and was trying to grill me about how Z tests work. I know how to use Z tests but I told him I don't have the equation memorized. He then asked me to define a p-value, which is like statistics trivia that even statisticians don't agree on.

I would never work here, they also low-balled me on the salary, they don't believe in "senior" titles even though I was interviewed by a bunch of directors, and they force you to work weekends. The company is never going to go IPO so the equity is worthless.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MZ (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Easy basic phone interview. Followed by another phone interview with hiring manager which lasted only 5 mins he spoke like he was in a hurry to attend another meeting. Onsite next, really nice HR printed out a panel name sheet for me, had lunch with one from the panel. None of them read my resume, they literally sat in silence to glance through my resume and then proceeded to ask me about my past experiences and how any might relate to the role. They spoke very little about the actual role duties and expectations. It was entirely focused on my background and how intelligent I was.

Did not hear back for another 2 weeks. Got a phone call from recruiter asking me again if I really am interested in the role and joining MZ, then they sent an offer.

Went to research the offer and more Glassdoor reviews about this role and declined their salary offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you determine if a sale is good or bad?   1 Answer
    • How would you run a A/B Test?   1 Answer
    • Panel: "If I were to...How would you..."   1 Answer