MZ Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
MZ CEO Gabriel Leydon
Gabriel Leydon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Including Chef's that prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner for employees - no cost to employees :) (in 17 reviews)

• And my fav part is the free food :) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Could use more paid time off to improve work-life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Long hours are really annoying at times (in 26 reviews)

"Challenge Accepted!"

Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MZ time is an unique concept. We move a lightning speed and the projects we take on are enormous. We have big goals: "reach for the stars" aspirations, and we are determined to will them into reality NOW. That kind of vision requires dedication and determination as well as some patience. MZ is the most challenging environment I've ever worked within, it's also the most rewarding. I've grown so much in the last year and a half that I am not only a better employee and manager, but a better person, as well. The amazing feeling of looking back at a year's progress to marvel over visions realized is well worth every OT hour and every frustrating moment it took to do it.

Cons

There's always something that could make things faster, better, easier, cleaner, or less work, but I believe I learned more from the mistakes I've made, from the challenges I overcame and from the roadblocks I smashed than I would have if they weren't present at all. Every company has it's challenges. We work through them and learn from them.

"Great company, often misunderstood"

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have worked at MZ for more than 2 years.
    Great team, solving complex problems, creating our tech.
    Huge opportunities for growth.
    Feel like our voices are heard.

Cons

Lack of telecommute options for family balance.
    Crazy growth resulting in lack of process.

Advice to Management

Rely on the teams to deliver - we will!
    Realize that balance doesn't always mean lack of productivity.

"Intense learning experience, true mobile UA at scale"

Former Employee - Senior Media Buyer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Media Buyer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at MZ (More than a year)

Pros

As a person who spent more than 5 years in mobile UA, and almost 10 in digital marketing all I can say is that this is THE place to learn how to do user acquisition at scale right. You are surrounded with extremely talented and experienced people who keep pushing the envelope in the mobile UA space. What is so different about MZ as a gaming company (which is probably a bad way to categorize it) is that marketing is valued equally important as engineering and it's given enough support so things could get automated which lets people focus only on what their core job is. You don't see that quite often in this industry.

If you are a UA nerd this is the place to work at. If you want to know all the nitty gritty details about mobile ad tech look no further. And ignore what others tell you about it, you cannot be the most dominant player in the industry without investing extra time and effort to succeed. It's like that in any space, and I don't see why would it be different here.

Cons

Working at MZ is not always easy and is not for everyone. It takes time to get used to the environment and requires a certain level of commitment that many people are not eager to make. And that's fine. If you are worried about hours talk to the recruiter, they've been really good at setting expectations.

Second thing that can be annoying is the pace of growth. When you hire more than 500 people in a year, it is expected that some things will break. Communication, for example, can be challenging at times because of this.

Last one is in regards with people who live in SF. Having shuttles like the other big guys from the are would help make the commute a bit easier.

Advice to Management

- Be patient, there are certain things about this phase of growth that simply cannot be solved that easily.

- Be more transparent and keep over-communicating the achievements because people are great and they deserve to know where the company is heading.

- Share more. There are certain things about MZ that are so amazing and people from the outside deserve to know that. Don't let people with their frustrations be louder than people with great ideas.

One last thing. Thank you for an amazing time and experience. I will always be proud for the fact I was part of the family!

"I love it, not for everyone"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, amazing benefits, yummy 3 square per day. Everyone is very engaged. When you bring a problem to someone, they are genuinely very interested in helping you solve it. The environment and culture is very collaborative. If you want to make an impact on your product and your team, this is a good fit.

Cons

It's pretty intense - there aren't YouTube links being shared and people goofing off. People are there to work, which is fine by me. Some groups value working harder over taking more time with a task to do it in a smarter way.

Advice to Management

We aren't a startup any more. Focus on the bigger picture over short term goals. Think yearly, not hourly.

5. "MZ review"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time

Pros

Casual work environment, helpful co-workers, great insurance and other benefits, a wide range of educational training for newcomers and current employees, diversity of projects to work on.

Cons

An unhealthy work balance.

Advice to Management

Hope you can fix an issue with my busy schedule.

6. "One of the best"

Current Employee - Game Designer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time

Pros

A very nice place to work at, friendly welcome with smart and talented people. All internal processes are mature. A fast-growing though stable company. One of the best places to start a career and grow in a professional way.

Cons

Currently do not have any cons to mention.

Advice to Management

You are moving forward in a right direction. Keep doing a great job!

7. "Good company for all"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits like insurance, free snacks and soft drinks in the office. Challenging projects to manage. A great career path with much skill-up training to take part in. Overall MZ is a very good company with great culture and core values.

Cons

Lack of communication with management makes an impression that no one really cares.

Advice to Management

More communication with employees, not just mandatory tasks.

"a review"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time

Pros

I wont write a hardcover novel like some of the haters. My response to them is that they were not ready for what they signed up for and they let everyone down. Looks like bitter ex-workers that got canned or left and now regret it.

I see the actions (positive or negative) of my work every day sometimes even every minute.

Cons

You need to understand that this is a small company that is in the top of the mobile game market. So if you arent ready to work, be independent, trust yourself, then go to zynga. This is a company where you have to think. This is probably a negative for some people.

Advice to Management

Whats the deal with all the haters? Can we stop this somehow? I want to feel great about telling people where I work. How do I get business cards?

"About to change the world"

Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Jose, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, dedicated to success. There is always a lot of different things to work on and no lack of focus. We move fast, agile, work hard and play harder. One goal in mind, to change the world with our various projects.

Cons

Shuttles until the campus is finished in January. We need more business updates in a “per team” level. Gabe does a great job weekly in his all hands, would like more lower level business updates.

Advice to Management

Continue to be flexible and focused.

10. "Progress"

I have been working at MZ full-time

Pros

Possibility to learn from the best minds in the gaming business. Passionate teams focused on the result. Making good progress as a company. Free Food

Cons

Some projects totally need more attention and advice from the above.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.