MZ Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MZ CEO Gabriel Leydon
Gabriel Leydon

Pros
  • Fully stocked kitchens with catered lunch and dinner (in 15 reviews)

• And my fav part is the free food :) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Could use more paid time off to improve work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

• No culture, no work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

"Sr Marketing Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best marketing team in the world! Learning on ton and driving revenue. Free breakfast lunch and dinner. Good bennies. Fun but chaotic start up type environment

Cons

Can't wait for new building.... Shuttle service is provided but off site. Would like a gym onsite, would be nice to workout before or after work...too many free deserts.

Advice to Management

Please ensure we have adequate parking for new building.

"Company Is Seriously Cool .."

Current Employee - Machine Learning and Data Science Group in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Machine Learning and Data Science Group in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Where should I start - everything is pretty amazing:

CEO rocks! .. Nobody should dispute this fact (Gabe Leydon)
    Surrounding Sr. Executives are also awesome.
    Everyone thinks outside-of-the-box (actually, there is no box, it's a wide open Universe)
    Historic and significant growth in gaming, and we have 2 new divisions launching in new categories that are incredible (1) Satori launched in April 2017, and (2) *Name secret* and details released soon (will be massive in scale and it's genius).
    Projects are cutting edge designed to make a significant impact .. real impact!
    Team members are collectively passionate, collaborative and capable of producing greatness.
    Culture is amazing, everyone gets along, harmonious, happy, talking, laughing and lots of company events and parties - all of the time. Company spends a ton of money in this area.
    Building a new, futuristic and massive campus on Page Mill Road. Scheduled to open late 2017.. Amenities are over the top on everything!
    Currently about 1,000 employees in headcount, possibly growing by 500%
    Compensation is extremely competitive .
    Benefits are some of the best in USA (too many to list) .. Including, $200 when you buy a new cell phone, in addition, you can apply additional $100 monthly credit to cell phone bills or other service related expenses.
    Healthcare benefit coverage awesome, great vision, and dental. Happy here.
    401k matching program.
    Amazing kitchen areas all throughout the company .. maybe 6 in total? Everything from Philz and Peets coffee, to shelves stocked like a Whole Foods Grocery store - too much food. Including Chef's that prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner for employees - no cost to employees :)
    Work related Uber account, on your phone, take an Uber for reasonable business purposes.
    BBQ's and Food Trucks, and DJ's
    Spa massage rooms .. Yes, you heard it .. on-property messages with professional Masseuses.
    Top of line products (computers, peripherals, etc) to do your job perfectly.
    IT Operation kiosks, swipe your badge and get just about anything you want.
    Most employees are in USA, so collaboration is pretty easy!

List goes on, and on, and on .. The best company I’ve worked!

Cons

I haven't seen a downside yet, but who knows - eventually maybe.
    The bogus negative Glassdoor reviews are ridiculous (probably competitors) , I can assure you that I have 300 people sitting around me and that's not how we feel .. It's pretty amazing here. about 1,000 employees and 99.9% are completely happy and driven!
    I encourage you to ask "a real" person that works at MZ and I'm sure you'll be impressed by what they have to say .. not many people leave and there's a reason for that!

Advice to Management

I appreciate what you are doing for your team members. I feel lucky to be apart of this team and success. I would feel guilty if I said you weren't doing enough - because it's better than other companies in Bay Area. Thanks.

"Could not find a better employer"

Current Employee - Media Buyer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Media Buyer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time

Pros

I have never seen such a great level of company's values and culture, which directly affect decision-making at mz. Working benefits are amazing, strong leadership gives independence to its workers, so everyone is doing what they really enjoy. The team is excellent, and the working atmosphere is full of mutual respect.

Cons

No cons. The company is focused on success and teamwork keeps moving it to higher positions

Advice to Management

Continue to level up your workers and stay focused on being the best!

"Among the best of entertainment"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing stuff.
    Great atmosphere.
    A lot of experience to get.
    Professional and personal growth.
    The pay is much better than anywhere else in the gaming industry.

Cons

There are none in this company actually according to me.

Advice to Management

Keep up an excellent work.

5. "Quality culture"

Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People who work at MZ actually want to be here. They are the best of the best in the industry. That's why the company is so fast growing and successful.
    The culture is organic and simply great; processing projects can be challenging at times, but that's a part of the attraction to me. Nice perks, fantastic benefits, and they work hard to keep their talents.

Cons

If you're not ready for the huge daily amount of collaboration then the culture might not be to your work style. By the way, it is quite typical for the gaming industry, so just be ready to communicate a lot.

Advice to Management

Sharing the company's culture with employees is brilliant! Continue to develop, but save those core values which brought the company to the leading positions in the industry.

6. "A great company with a huge future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at MZ full-time

Pros

Culture, opportunity for advancement, benefits

Cons

Las Vegas office feels a little separated from the home office in California

"Real life Borderlands"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Startup environment where you can do a lot and learn a lot.
    - Competitive pay and perks

Cons

I was with MZ and was treated well during my stay there. But I didn't like it for some reason. Today, I was playing Borderlands and suddenly realized why. The CEO of MZ is exactly like Jack in the Borderlands, successful yet weird, with lots of ego. This passes down to the whole company and essentially forms the culture of the company. And this alone explains why the reviews here are highly polarized. Someone happens to be on the winning team and tends to think they are gods. If you happen not to on winning team, life is tough. It's exactly like the settings of Borderlands.

Although games are still hugely successful, it's not my reason to join MZ at first and I couldn't find a way to agree with the cause and culture of MZ. Therefore I left.

Advice to Management

Be less comical.
    Be more humble.

8. "Work hard, play hard!"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What I really love about working at Machine Zone is PEOPLE. Every day I communicate and collaborate with amazingly interesting and passionate co-workers, learn from them and get so much inspiration.
    CEO is also great, there is a little hierarchy but a lot of working bonuses and benefits. Health insurance, good pay and perks, paid days off and vacations, free travel.

Cons

I can't think of anything to complain about.

Advice to Management

I've loved MZ since I joined and I don't have much to offer. Just keep being awesome.

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Localization Tester in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Localization Tester in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work at MZ is always dynamic and challenging, but that keeps it interesting day by day.
    The sense of accomplishment and growth.
    Superior Health benefits, free travel, comparable pay.

Cons

The team is small so the employees are being overloaded at times. This place is actually good for those who is ready for challenges and able to face difficulties on the way.

Advice to Management

Improve the work-life balance.
    Think about your employees.

"Upward business"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

so many good people at this company. Young people are usual for a game company but there are many older mentors and experienced people who have accomplished a ton and worked at other very successful companie (Google).

Cons

I am not exposed to enough data to understand are we on the right track. I hope when I get promoted I can find out more.

Advice to Management

Can you share with us the new office layout? The building pictures look cool but what's inside?