Macmillan Cancer Support Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

2.9

Senior Fundraising Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Cancer Support (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Asked to submit CV and short covering letter. Preset task (develop a strategy) followed by competency based questions with potential line manager and a colleague at the same level. 2nd Interview at a later date which was not originally mentioned. With potential line manager and a senior manager with slightly more in depth but similar competency based questions.

Received detailed and very helpful feedback by phone afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a change you made to put supporters first   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macmillan Cancer Support (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Fair questions as per job description, very relaxed and approachable, asked what I knew about the work the charity did, what transferable skills I had from pervious jobs.done done done done done done done

Welfare Rights Adviser Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Cancer Support in May 2017.

Interview

Attended a three and a half hour assessment that consisted of two group activities, and one paper based exam. Unfortunately, two members of the group gave others very little room to contribute, and when there was the opportunity to convey my views I felt there was not enough scope to do so. The paper based tests were relatively easy, and it was refreshing not to feel intimidated and interrupted by other candidates. Disappointed that I did not reach the interview stage, as I felt I was not given the opportunity to demonstrate my strengths.

Interview Questions

• Work out what day in a group a building would be created   Answer Question

Programmer Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Cancer Support (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Thorough process - panel of 2-3 interviewers. Clearly passionate people who love the company.
    Very ambitious change journey they're undertaking. Gels with some of the comments on restructuring and leadership.

Executive team (very experienced) are all fairly new into their roles, which suggests many new ideas and a period of ambiguity and change. It will take some time for the exec settle priorities.

Had 2 interesting panel interviews, but wasn't selected - picked someone with more relevant industry expertise.

Interview Questions

• Explain what programme healthchecks involve and what the benefits are.
      There were different challenges posed by the 3 potential roles (operating model, process and IT delivery, data compliance).   1 Answer

Policy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Cancer Support (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I was invited for an in-person interview with 2 interviewers, which lasted approx 30 minutes at the head office. The questions were standard competency based questions. It was a straight-forward and well organised process.I also received good feedback after the interview.

Phone Support/Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vauxhall, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macmillan Cancer Support (Vauxhall, England (UK)).

Interview

Was invited to their Head Office in Vauxhall. Interview consisted of a phone exercise and an interview by two members of staff.

The phone exercise felt incredibly silly. I was put in a small room and had to take part in a 'simulation' call, where a member of the team pretended to be a caller and I had to respond. Was difficult to take this situation seriously as I could hear the caller through the wall - on top of this, she really seemed to have a flair for the dramatics, as she sobbed and really played a character. Almost felt as if it was a little disrespectful.

The interview was fine, the two staff members were polite and engaged. I was told at the end of the interview that if I was not successful, I would receive feedback.

I got a call a week later from an incredibly awkward and insensitive staff member who treated the situation very poorly when telling me that I was not successful. Again I was assured feedback.

Two months passed and no feedback - I emailed to follow this up and no reply. This was in June and no response to date.

Communications and Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Cancer Support (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online and received an invite to an interview within a week.

Took a 30 minute test involving a prioritisation task and creating a summary of an article. Interviewed by two members of staff - very friendly and encouraging. Interview questions mainly concerned my past experience and skills and were very straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you dealt with conflict in the workplace.   Answer Question

New Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Cancer Support (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online directly on charity website. Automatic email response to say application received. Heard back via email and text notification that been put forward for interview. 2 stage interview. Stage 1 was face to face with Senior Business Manager and Head of. Both very friendly and warm. Took in turns to ask skills based questions. Stage 2 was a 15 min presentation to a panel of 3. Presentation was on thought process of who you would approach as next big partner and why. Process was a lot more formal. 45 mins of questions from all 3 panel members, which was quite draining as no real interaction. Heard back a week later that didn't get the role but did get great positive feedback. Seems like a very lovely place to work. Disappointed to have not been selected.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation where you have had to influence others and how you did this?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell us which companies you wouldn't approach?   Answer Question
    • Tell us a situation where you have had to collaborate.   Answer Question

Senior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macmillan Cancer Support (London, England (UK)).

Interview

1st stage - phone interview around C# and a few questions on past experience

2nd stage - Technical Test at the office to build a short web based solution (approx 1 hour). Another hour spent afterward talking to another senior developer on how you could have enhanced the solution given more time

Interview Questions

• Describe a few programming design patterns that you know well   Answer Question

Policy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macmillan Cancer Support (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Submitted a CV and covering letter online.

This was followed by a two stage interview process, however this wasn't made clear until after the first interview.

The first interview involved a presentation and assessed competencies. The second interview assessed similar competencies and there was little feedback.

Interview Questions

• What are your career aspirations?
      Why do you want to work here?
      Tell us a time when you influenced and would you do anything differently?
      Tell us a time when you worked collaboratively and were there any problems that you had to overcome?
      Tell us a time when you have dealt with conflict?   Answer Question