Madewell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 13, 2018

2.0

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville Centre, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Madewell (Rockville Centre, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via Linkedin and set up an interview with myself, the DM and the Store Manager. The interview lasted 2 hours because the DM was stuck in a meeting. Very conversational, informal, friendly, comfortable process.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Madewell (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I was already employed at J. Crew at the time, so I was considered as an internal candidate. My recommendation from my Store Director was submitted to the Hiring Manager along with my resume and I had an in-person interview within a week of applying. I was not selected to move on and interview with the Regional Director, but was instead offered a position in a different location. The process was openly biased and resulted in many fractured relationships among associates from both locations.

Interview Questions

• What are you going to do to help us draw new clients into the store?   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Madewell.

Interview

I applied through their website, which was a typical on-line application. Once submitted you receive an e-mail stating if they're interested they will follow up. About 2-3 days later I received a follow up e-mail, with an interview set up the following week in store (whichever you were applying for). The interview was pretty straight forward as they go for a management role It lasted about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, filled work related questions, and getting to know each other as a leader and individual. Where Madewell dropped the ball, they never followed up. As someone who knows the proper procedures, I sent a follow up thank you e-mail. A week later, another follow up e-mail. 2 weeks from the interview date, one last follow up e-mail. It's one thing to not get the job, which I and many other people can handle rejection, but it's the common courtesy of sending out a simple e-mailing and letting that person know. It's flat out rude, and speaks highly of that manager and the company. Unfortunate.

Associate Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Madewell.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the recruiter, followed by a sit-down interview with the store director, and a third interview with the regional manager. Each person that I spoke with was very nice and open. The overall experience was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find any of the questions to be particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

I was at a higher position in my present company and wanted a more challenging job title.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Madewell.

Interview

Call with HR recruiter, in-person interview with Store Director and phone interview with District Manager. The interviews were very straight forward and personable. Everyone I spoke with had a very positive vibe and made me feel comfortable and in the know during the process.

Associate Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Madewell (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Moderately challenging questions regarding experience in the industry. Fluid conversation surrounding the Houston retail market including challenges and opportunities, and what expertise I bring as a candidate to positively affect business for the company. Discussion surrounding career goals.

Interview Questions

• In your last annual review, what was one area of opportunity for you?   Answer Question

College Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Madewell (State College, PA) in August 2012.

Interview

I has a one on one interview with a woman from the store. She asked who I was wearing and why I had chosen that outfit, why I wanted to work with Madewell, what ideas I had to increase revenue from college students

Visual Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Madewell in January 2016.

Interview

I participated in a group interview with six other women. It was very laid back and took place in the seating area near the back of the store. We were just asked to answer at will but I feel like we were all able to take turns and come up with unique and well-thought out answers.

Interview Questions

• Describe what the Madewell brand means to you. What influences your style? Who are our competitors? What is you dream job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Madewell (Sacramento, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online to a new location that was opening and was screened by HR on the phone with a couple of days. She asked basic questions to get an idea of who I was and then concluded by saying she'd recommend me to the store director for the visual associate job based on my background and goals. Then I met with the store director where we discussed the role and the company's expectations. It was very casual and straightforward.

Visual Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Madewell in July 2016.

Interview

I stopped by to introduce myself before I submitted my application online. After I filled the app out online, I received a call a day or two later for an interview at the end of week. The interview itself wasn't stressful. The Store Director and I walked over a restaurant with outdoor seating to have the interview. It lasted maybe 20 minutes. No random questions.

Interview Questions

• Why Madewell?   1 Answer
    • Do you consider a self-starter? Do you feel confident being given a sheet of paper and not having many directions?   1 Answer