Mango Languages Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Mango Languages

2.9

IT Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mango Languages (Farmington Hills, MI) in November 2011.

Interview

I interviewed with each one of the leadership team members, and then received an in-depth orientation from HR.

Marketing Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mango Languages in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online through the website. Was contacted via email to schedule a phone screening. Asked me to describe myself, why I was interested in Mango, and my language skills (none other than English).

We then scheduled an in-person interview with the HR person and the head of the team I'd be working with. They asked about previous experience, some behavior questions and gave me time to ask my own questions. Was pretty relaxed, they seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say.

I was then contacted to schedule an interview with multiple members of the team. This was a 6-person group representing different functions picking apart my expertise and experience. Many behavioral questions and inquiries for specific things I had to offer. Pretty intense but friendly enough.

Interview Questions

• (From the team leader) If you think I'm making the wrong decision how would you handle that?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mango Languages in December 2014.

Interview

Submitted an online application. Two months later received an email from a recruiter to set up a pre-screen phone interview ...wondering if I was still interested in the opportunity. The initial email described that they had over 150 candidates apply. Felt good to be considered out of that many folks applying. Needless to say I was thrilled. The position was one of those that matched my skill set perfectly. Even the past employers I had worked for had similar product lines and scope of work. It seemed like a great match for both candidate and employer. I looked forward to speaking to the recruiter for a couple days prior to the phone screen. As soon as the recruiter called, she immediately had an attitude. It was the most disappointing pre-screen interview I have had. And I have had many phone interviews in the last 6 months which have led to job offers. I am being very picky about a career move, looking for a great company to work for, and the Mango opportunity seemed like a match on paper so I was excited about it. As the recruiter started to ask questions like "tell me about yourself?" I conducted myself in the same manner as I always do expressing my excitement for the opportunity and telling her what I could bring to the table in the position with years of experience in a almost identical role for almost an identical company. The recruiter didn't even acknowledge any responses I gave but rather seemed to fight the responses I gave. Coming across with an attitude as if "you would be lucky to work here." It was the oddest thing I have experienced. I will tell you that it works both ways in an interview process. The employer may be interviewing the potential employee to find a match but the potential employee is also trying to gauge the professionalism of the company. This was totally unprofessional. When a recruiter comes across with an attitude or "lack their of personality"...it doesn't speak well for the organization behind the position. I don't care if you were somehow rated top company in 2014...your organization would be so much more if YOU were enthusiastic about the people you were talking to and made people feel like they wanted to come to Mango. You know what they say "first impressions are everything." To be so blunt...your recruiter sucks. The reason I believe you are getting bad reviews and possibly not finding the right talent is right out of the gate you are making talent run the other way. Talented people will be completely turned off by this initial reaction and will decide to not even bother to go to another level of interview with your organization. Through the chaos, I still conducted myself well and was asked if I wanted to make it to the next level where there would be some sort of "project" to submit for consideration. I then asked a standard question "what is the salary range for this position?" -- the recruiters response "I can't share that with you" ...my response "I understand but it would help some people make a decision if they wanted to continue to the next level. It might also help you weed out some of the 150 people you are planning to pre-screen." It is sad to read the experiences employees have had on the review page and also know that the good reviews were written by management. My advice would be to fire your recruiter and hire someone who is genuinely enthusiastic about your company and make talented people feel good about their background and skill set. You will get so much more out of people in return if you realize this.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Mango Languages (Farmington Hills, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

I submitted my online application in November 2014 and was contacted for a phone interview in January 2015. The phone interview went well, and I was invited for an in-person interview the following week (late-January). After the in-person interview, I was told the next steps include a copywriting activity as well as a possible second in-person interview. I was delighted when I was asked to complete the copywriting challenge (early/mid-February). I spent a lot of time on my submission and really tried to channel the Mango voice. The team must've liked my copywriting attempt, as I was then invited in for the second interview (late February). The second interview seemed to go well as well, and I was very eager to hear back since it seemed as though we were nearing the end of the process. I did not hear anything during the week following my second interview, so I decided to send a follow-up. I was told they would keep me posted, so I hung tight. My final follow-up attempt was 2 weeks after that (3 weeks after second interview) where I was told the same thing, that they would keep me posted.

I still have not heard back from Mango and it is now June. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed with the lack of communication regarding their final decision, and I think it's quite unprofessional, especially since I had put quite a bit of time and effort into my possible candidacy with the company.

Linguist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mango Languages (Farmington Hills, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

After submitting a cover letter online, I was contacted by a member of the HR department to schedule a brief phone screening. She was very friendly and nice and we had a 30 minute conversation in which she asked me about my background and reasons why I wanted to work for Mango.

A few days later, she informed me that I had passed on to the second round of interviews with another member of the HR team. Since I was out of town, the interview was conducted via Skype and lasted for approximately one hour. The interviewer was very professional and in addition to asking questions, also informed me about the team that I would be working with and the corporate culture at Mango. She even addressed the many negative reviews of the company on Glassdoor and explained how she had been implementing programming to improve the corporate culture and give employees a forum to voice their views in a positive way. She informed me at the end that the process would be moving on with two more interviews and that she would be in touch for next steps.

After not hearing back for several weeks, I reached out to the initial HR contact, who told me that the person that I had conducted the second interview with had recently left the company and that they were doing their best to re-organize and would contact me soon. Still no contact after that, so I got back in touch with the first interviewer and she let me know that she was ALSO leaving the company! She said that they were still interested in me as a candidate and put me in touch with another member of the HR team, but I heard nothing after that and recently saw that the position I applied for had been removed from the website.

No offer in the end, which is probably for the best because based on all of the reviews it seems like this company is a sinking ship and people can't get out fast enough.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mango Languages.

Interview

Interviews with team members would be useful if they were knowledgeable about interviewing. Many have no experience in this process, yet are expected to know how to find the best candidates. Truly doesn't matter in the end, because leadership will choose whom ever they want anyway. Even if the rest of the team believes the candidate is not a good fit/qualified.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Simple. Knew what offer would be before offer was made.

Account Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mango Languages.

Interview

Pros: new and shiny office space, free language classes, cool employee programming, and collaborative work structure

Cons:Interview was a group deal with mini-interview-type sessions with employees. Awkward forced mingling as part of the interview process. CEO and high-level employees were not identified. Compensation and benefits were not discussed and real academic-type interviews were not done. Invitation was not clear regarding group interview.

Flash Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mango Languages (Farmington Hills, MI) in August 2011.

Interview

4 months after submitting a resume I was called about the position and to briefly describe my background. I was asked to come in mid day during an open house so I could meet the staff and be able to ask detailed questions on the position. The day of the interview I found my self in a room with aprox 40 other applicants for the same position. I was given a tour by a sales rep who knew nothing of the position, but he did show me the kitchen and conference room. I was then put back in the holding room with the other applicants for about 45 min before I was taken into another room with someone I was not introduced with. We spent less than 5 minutes reviewing some of my work. I never was given a chance to ask a question before I was told they had many people waiting I that they would review my info later. I was then shown the door.

Interview Questions

• Can you show some of your past Flash experience?   1 Answer

Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I interviewed at Mango Languages (Farmington Hills, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

Very short video interview with a cold attitude. Asking a lot of questions about content done in teaching and how able I would be to produce free content before classes. Ended up with sending an offer when only class time was paid but required to give/ copy / re-interpretate content from the internet. A 10 page one-sided contract was sent to me with clauses totally damageable for an independent individual especially as for exclusivity rights and copyrights infrigements. This is a scam directed to foreigners to get the company to then use their content and sell their content online. Everything was weird even payment terms ...Be very careful with this company for any potential hire...

Interview Questions

• What content do you deliver to your students ? Do you do all your content yourself and before each class ?   1 Answer

Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mango Languages in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who had my resume on file. The initial recruiter I had spoken to was very pleasant, and we had a phone interview which went fairly smoothly. She then transferred me to another recruiter, who told me I had been chosen to move to the next stage of interviews, and reached out to me to schedule an on-site interview. I responded within 24 hours and never heard back from the second recruiter. No rejection email whatsoever, despite my sending countless follow up emails. Frankly, I was shocked to experience behavior this unprofessional; I have never heard of a company simply dropping an interviewee without notice. Considering that past interview reviews on Glassdoor mirror my sentiment, it's clear that Mango needs to step up their communication standards with candidates.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you hit a road block while working in a team, and how you resolved it.   Answer Question