Mango Languages Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Teshuba

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A great team of talented & hardworking people who truly want to serve customers. An incredibly talented product development team. Mango creates excellent language learning products that solve real problems. Great environment. Flexible/results oriented company. Get to be part of a company that is building great language learning products and is always trying to improve.

Cons

Excellence is expected. We are frequently experimenting with change to improve. Change can be difficult for some people. People are given a lot of freedom and responsibility. You have to be ready to handle this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and continue to rally everyone our plans for this year. 2016 is going to be a great year for Mango.

"constant growing-pains, never any real improvement"

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

laid-back office (no dress code, flexible hours for most employees)

Cons

- chronic disorganization and mismanagement, particularly on the senior / ownership level
    - little or no opportunities for advancement, particularly for minorities
    - constant politics, staff infighting, and petty squabbling
    - bad compensation and benefits

"You can do better."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Mango Languages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people; language immersion; feel young and irresponsible;

Cons

Most of the upper management that was causing such disarray in 2014 are now thankfully gone (as of 2-16), so things are hopefully better now. Love the owners, but they aren't really in tune with all levels of company and/or aware of who are strong workers and who are not. They trust the most bizarre staff to run things, and ignore those who bust their butts for them.

Advice to Management

You should probably try and hire back some of the superstars that were let go in 2014 - due to mismanagement by the past COO.

"Tragically Flawed Company"

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

Creative, energetic team, good work environment, and great software. Generally a good work/life balance also. Basically you get to work with inspiring, very driven people who work hard and are great at what they do.

Cons

Very high turnover, particularly in management - an alarming number of very talented, intelligent, wonderful people get let go on a regular basis, and usually without a good reason for their dismissal.

Advice to Management

Please stop firing your amazing managers! I am dismayed to see that (as many long-time employees have told me already, and frankly is turning out to be true) Mango really does have a very reliable track-record of letting good managers go.

"Recent positive reviews are from the owners"

Former Employee - Multiple Positions in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Multiple Positions in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Mango Languages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beer on Fridays.
    Relaxed environment/dresscode.
    Good coworkers.
    Interesting field.
    Some managers are capable.
    Language clubs.
    Easy job

Cons

No direction
    Constant restructuring
    Cult like indoctrination of core values.
    Very little room for growth or development.
    Politics
    Ridiculous goals that have never once been met
    Leadership asks employees to write positive reviews
    50% turnover every year during my employment
    Inept leadership
    A frustrating dead end job

Advice to Management

Face reality. You don't have to abandon what makes this place good. But, stop telling everyone how great it is every five minutes and listen to what is wrong and fix it. If it were perfect, you wouldn't have to tell them how great it is. Being realistic is not being negative.

"Not what it seems"

Current Employee - Sales in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Language clubs, casual work clothes, offers health insurance and 401k program, employees able to drink in office at any time

Cons

Leadership uses company's core values against employees, employees often told to leave if they can't embrace a "positive attitude" to leave, leadership refuses to accept responsibility of toxic company culture, employees often reprimanded if weekly survey score is filled out in less than enthusiastic way, employees are asked to write reviews on glassdoor, very loud and disruptive work environment especially to sales staff who needs to be on the phone, open office layout creates constant interruptions, leadership plays favorites, owners have major lack of experience and business intelligence, management has zero market research or insight and creates projects on whims wasting time and resources rather than communicating with customers and providing what they ask for, all departments aside from tech are given little to no budget (tech is still greatly underfunded), good smart people let go left and right

Advice to Management

First off, as an employee who has been at the company for less than a year I believe it says so much that anytime a negative review is expressed on glassdoor, someone from leadership creates a five star review saying that negative reviews are written by employees 'refusing to take personal responsibility' (theres that term again!) Owners quote business books they read like scripture and base the company on these books their entrepreneurial friends wrote instead of coming out and taking action to bring the team together and creating with their own ideas. That's the thing. They don't have enough business experience and management intel to have their own ideas. How easy it is for them to hide behind core values and books like Traction and Lean Startup instead of manning up. One owner always says "Why should I be the one to make a change? That's your job." and this sounds great but the fact is we employees do and we try but what do they do in return? Nothing but keep their noses in the air. Plus all the backward reorgs and quartly goals and implementation of company culture comes from leadership. The rest of us have to keep smiling and nodding or else. They would rather sit in their offices and play on the internet and practice languages than work. That's what separates leadership and the employees. There is a BIG disconnect and no amount of beer or wine and fiesta Fridays they provide can hide it. Mango looks great from a distance but after a few months, new employees begin to see the light. We've had some great HR employees who have strived to make a change, but they were in the end powerless and controlled by the CEO and COO and fired. Most of all if you challenge a manager or suggest new ideas that may contrast theirs, you will be let go. Job security does not exist at Mango. Managers are inexperienced and easily threatened. Sales turnover is faster than anywhere else I've seen and employees are constantly having to send out emails telling librarians and customers "Hi. i'm your new account manager." It's embarassing. If you are considering a job here at messy Mango, keep searching. There are better, more appreciative and professionally organized places. Don't be fooled by the smoke and mirrors. Mark my word, in less than a week there will another review up from leadership rebuttling everything I said. It's like a game.

Mango Languages Response

Mar 9, 2015 – Director of Talent & Organizational Culture

Dear Fellow Mango, Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It saddens me that your experience is so vastly different from my own. I hope you will benefit directly from the changes we are currently ... More

"A company that is making the world a better place!"

Current Employee - Product Development in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Product Development in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Mango for years and can say that we are currently at the best place we have ever been as a company and team. Each day we are becoming better and happier and look forward to becoming even greater in the future.

The primary thing that makes Mango so accomplished is the culture. Mango demands a certain type of person, one that takes ownership and accountability for taking the company to even greater heights. Through the years, I have witnessed how we have become better at recruiting the right people who share the vision and embody the core values of the organization.

Unfortunately, not all people that are hired are capable of rising to the challenge. It takes a certain type of visionary and unconventional person to thrive here. If you are not used to making things happen or can’t ask for help from your team, then you will not make it here. If you are used to the outdated management model that the typical corporate environment offers, then you will also not make it here. If you like to point fingers, be political, and so prideful that you feel an entitlement to things you don’t deserve, the culture (not management) will churn you out. On the other hand, if you are willing to work and collaborate with a talented group of your peers, push them to become better, and be open minded and humble enough to receive feedback from them in order to make you better, you will fit right in here.

I have read some of the comments posted on here and can’t believe what I am reading. It is the classic statement of, “it’s management fault for everything.” To someone like me, it’s clear as day that these people didn’t have what it takes and can’t look at their own shortcomings in order to try and improve them. Therefore, in order to protect themselves from the truth, they make excuses for their shortcomings by blaming others.

These negative comments had nothing to do with Mango products or services. Mango is doing the best it has ever done. Revenue is at an all time high. We are introducing more innovative products to our customers. Marketing has never been stronger. Our customer service can be admired even by the great companies of our time. I didn’t read any complaint that was customer or industry focused either. The only complaint I read is the abstract and unfounded jab of “management here is not good.” Talk about passing the buck and not taking personal responsibility.

Steve Jobs once said, “Heres to the crazy ones. The misfits. The trouble makers…the ones who see things differently.” That is Mango Languages. We are different in the business world. We will continue to be unique, and push the envelope in all areas of business. Obviously, those lacking the vision to see that Mango is trying to change the world will default to negativity. But I am confident that we will not change. We will continue to be open, compassionate, and to the right people, Mango will prove to be a refreshing alternative to a world of bureaucracy that all of us have experienced at some time in our lives. If you take entrepreneurship seriously and want to create things to make the world a better place, knowing that there will be failures along the way, then Mango is definitely the company for you.

Cons

You have to work extremely hard, especially in the beginning, to make an impact. Not everything is spoon fed to you, so if you are not used to this type of environment, it may prove to be difficult at times. But, there is always help if you need it.

Mango Languages Response

Mar 9, 2015 – Director of Talent & Organizational Culture

Dear Fellow Mango: We are so happy to hear that you have had such a positive experience in your time at Mango Languages. It is important to us that Mangos have “room to grow” along with being ... More

"Used to be a great place"

Former Employee - Sales in Farmington, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Farmington, MI

I worked at Mango Languages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress
    Internships are mostly paid
    Good social environment for early 20s employees

Cons

Mgmt asking new employees to write glassdoor reviews due to negative review influx
    CEO writes reviews on here talking about how great he is
    Inexperienced owners
    Fitting in with the right people more important than good hard work
    Low pay
    Company product outdated
    All innovation comes from employees on floor never mgmt
    Mgmt wants puppets

Advice to Management

Deflate egos (ceo walked around saying that he's humble and innovative. If you are humble you don't say so to the whole office) , so many of us good ones have left and current employees seeking employment elsewhere. Put more focus on business and less on office politics. Company had such good potential years ago when product was new. Stay clear of disagreeing with mgmt or you will be seen as "negative" even if your comments are professional and said from experience and knowledge. Had some good memories here but thankful to have moved on.

"1.5 Years at Mango"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve worked for Mango Languages for a year and a half now, and I’ve been fortunate to have managers (and senior managers) who were helpful, understanding, and considerate. Whether or not this has been the case for the majority of the company is hard to tell, but I have consistently found that the majority of both the staff and management are receptive to ideas and criticism, regardless of a staff member’s rank within the company. My own team has been supportive in exploring new opportunities (as well as responsibilities) and has continually pushed me to understand new perspectives and personal capabilities. This has given me an opportunity to test my limits and grow exponentially in my professional capacity. I have also been lucky in my time here to develop great relationships with both current and former employees, which (hopefully) will last beyond the common professional courtesy I have experienced in other companies.

Cons

One of the continual problems that has seemed to plague the company is interdepartmental communication and clear, fluid direction as to where we are, where we want to be, and where we’re headed. I can honestly say, however, that this has been steadily improving over the past two quarters. Also, there is some resistance in the company to the introduction of process and standardization, as there is a strong push to innovate and work outside of your positional roles and responsibilities. While this can bring benefits in terms of idea creation and personal satisfaction, it can also leave certain aspects (and people) of the business disorganized and unattended.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve upon interdepartmental communication, transparency, and processes.

"A professional life with meaning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having worked for 12 years in the largest companies in Mango's competitive space, I can tell you that Mango Languages breaks conventions in remarkably positive ways. As a successful privately-held company, Mango is driven by goals which are far greater than quarterly numbers. Mango is committed to building a culture in which team members can make meaning, rather than just make money. You will not find a company more dedicated to creating value in the lives of its customers and team members than Mango.

Mango's people are the proof. While we don't hang degrees, certifications, and accolades on the walls (that's just not us), you will find that Mango has a team which is remarkable from person to person. Mango is a place where being individually excellent and an excellent team member are synonymous.

Cons

You may have to unlearn some of the things which have made you successful in other companies. Forget notions like political capital and be prepared to be humble, no matter what your background (for the right people, this will not be a con).

Advice to Management

Integrity, Quality, Fundipline, Entrepreneurial Spirit, Positive Attitude, and Innovation are Mango's Core Values. Continue to stick to these values. Continue to seek out people who can be excellent while also being humble. Continue to focus on making a difference.