Marakon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marakon Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2017

3.3

Consulting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marakon.

Interview

Basically, had a phone interview with a Partner or Director. About 3 weeks later I received an invite to interview in the NYC office for a final round. A few weeks later they set a date, gave me the full schedule of the interviewers, gave me the number for the travel agency to book the flight, gave me guidelines as it related to expenses, etc. The salary they cited was a bit low, so I asked whether they had any flexibility The day they say they'll look into it and call me back, they proceed to send me a form letter stating that they're moving on with other candidates which makes no sense. Don't give me the interview schedule, tell me to book my travel, and then backtrack. Totally unprofessional. And I've never experienced a situation where a salary inquiry after you've made it to the final round results in a "bye. we won't move forward." I guess they didn't have any flexibility, but at the very least they could have told me upfront and let me make the decision from there.

Interview Questions

Marakon Response

Aug 4, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

We take our recruiting process very seriously and endeavor to treat all candidates with the utmost respect and give all candidates a positive experience with us. We have been fortunate to have met... More

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marakon (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through my college's career center website. Did an over the phone case interview. The final round was in their office in NYC. Three 45 minute interviews. First was a highly quantitative case. Second was exclusively fit questions––very relaxed. Third was more qualitative case––they give you a case to read through, leave the room for 15 minutes and then ask you questions about it. We had extra time so we did some brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• Would you invest in the startup you worked for over the summer?
      How would you go about determining if you should open a nail salon in a particular neighborhood?   Answer Question

Associate/Consulting Associate/Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

For a firm that prides itself in its 'original, corporate-level strategy consulting,' Marakon's interview process was unoriginal and unimaginative. They consider themselves among the most thoughtful and analytical firms in the business, but use decades-old frameworks to interview candidates. A client would be largely unimpressed with a consulting firm who does things so by-the-book, and as a candidate you should be, too. You deserve a better interview.

The process included two rounds: typical MBA case interviews with junior consultants and fit interviews with senior consultants. The interviewers were unfriendly and arrogant (strangely, even in their interactions with one another), and the office atmosphere was rushed and stressed. They had very little interest in understanding a candidate in the wider context of their education, enthusiasm, and experience, and limited their view on a narrow assessment of 'how creatively can you solve an ambiguous problem in ten minutes'. Note well: this is the huge part of what matters to them. Do the cases perfectly, and have "creative" answers to questions. Much like a Republican debate, a thoughtful and well-informed answer is not necessary, just one that has the appropriate buzzwords for the audience.

There is an upside to this though: a cursory glance at their employees' backgrounds reveals that you can be from a mediocre undergraduate program or not have an MBA and still work at Marakon. Their project work is not as uniquely challenging or creative as they make it out to be. They know most people could do the work, and an expedient and convenient process to find employees might well be the motivation behind their game-show metrics.

Good luck!

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marakon (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Straightforward but very interesting. Thought provoking and stimulating to build up the final idea of the interview. I myself didn't have much time to prepare for the interview but the interviewer was very helpful in guiding me through.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you think take Uber in any given city?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marakon (New York, NY).

Interview

On-campus interview first round, ~10 days wait then in-office interview. Very friendly interviewers and the interview process as a whole is reflective of the company's (great) culture. On the other hand, the company took an inordinate amount of time (over a month) getting back to me, which was rather unprofessional. Other than that, they were all great.

This review is for the second round; the first round was the typical case and fit interview one-two punch. The second round is made up of three ~40-minute chunks, one written case and two fit/personality interviews (with a sprinkling of business sense questions). The written case was a bit on the tougher side, with a fair amount of number-crunching to do and nobody to ask clarifying questions to while you're at it.

Interview Questions

• A credit-card POS processor (think Square) is suffering from customer attrition and retention issues. Which could those be?

Where do you think the self-driving car industry is going and how do you think the dominant players (Google, Apple, and some other guys they name beforehand) will act strategically? (e.g. do you see any JVs and why)

...And other kind of open-ended questions involving some kind of consulting intuition.

They are VERY big on "Why Marakon" since they're a boutique. Do your due-dil.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marakon in October 2015.

Interview

45 minutes phone interview: behavioral questions for about 10 minutes, short case for 30 minutes and questions and answers for the last five minutes. The people is really nice and helpful through the steps in the case.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Marakon (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process at Marakon is consistent with the experience I have seen and heard of at other firms. You can expect to have problem solving skills evaluated through cases (both in person and over the phone) and you should expect a check for demonstrated leadership through behavioral interviews. Interviewers also assess fit because the firm is so small.

Interview Questions

• Determine the weight of this room (sum of parts/market sizing).   Answer Question
    • How do you feel you will respond to working in a boutique environment?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marakon.

Interview

Corresponded with two Managers via email to set up an interview. First interview was a phone screening with a senior level Principal. This was more of a fit interview and included a few questions about why I wanted to leave my then current firm and where I saw myself fitting in at Marakon.

Second round interview entailed two business cases, one with a Senior Associate and one with a senior level Principal (different person from the phone interview). The cases were pretty standard profitability and growth strategy cases involving quick mental calculations using large numbers, a basic understanding of how businesses make money, some intuitive and creative thinking about the industries in which the "client" company operates, etc. The questions and cases were pretty standard, but what made one of the cases more challenging was the rate at which you were expected to have an answer to the rapid fire list of questions the senior Principal asked. The case was very fast-paced, so you had to think quickly and be confident in your responses.

I then had a fit interview with a VP (formerly known as Partners). Standard fit questions, friendly, nothing unanticipated or unfair.

Interview Questions

• Your background is somewhat atypical for us. How can we leverage your experience and education in our work and what are you going to do to catch up to speed with some of our baseline skills?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marakon.

Interview

Overview:
    1st Round - on-campus - two case interviews
    Final round - in NY office - three interviews (2 cases and 1 fit)

General Thoughts:
    Marakon interviews were similar to interviews at all other management consulting firms. Be prepared to go through business cases during each round of the interview process. Brush up on math skills and strategic and creative thinking. One thing I would say that stood out for me was that the people at Marakon really made me feel at ease during the whole interview process. Although I had interviews pretty late during the day, my interviewers were friendly and very helpful (even after a whole day of sitting through interviews) - you could also tell that they want you to do well. I cannot say the same for some of the other interviews I had with other companies. I would say overall it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• They want you to be thinkers and problem solvers and will urge you to come up with more ideas/creative answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Thought offer was good and in-line with other consulting firms - did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marakon (Chicago, IL) in November 2009.

Interview

Campus Recruiting as 1st round and Onsite Interview as 2nd round

Interview Questions

• One interviewer at Campus Recruiting was playing bad cop and tried to test us under-pressure   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didnt negotiate. Though some other companies offered higher salary, type of work at Marakon is much more interesting