Marathon Oil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

2.9

Advanced Engineering Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX).

Interview

Contacted for a face to face meal appointment offsite with the hiring manager to examine an opportunity of utilizing my unique skill set to meet a unique company challenge.

Interview Questions

• Why would you be willing to make a move from Apache Corporation after twenty years of service.   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online through the Marathon Oil website. 2 weeks later I was contacted to complete a video interview. Basic behavioral questions, nothing unexpected. A week after the video interview, I was contacted to complete a phone interview. They asked me about my interest in Marathon Oil, my previous internship experience, and some technical questions. A week later I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is Young's modulus and how might an engineer use it in their job?   1 Answer
    • What is Reynold's number and how might an engineer use it in their job   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in Marathon Oil?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview

online interview. very informal. I did not like that you had to look at yourself and that you had only once chance yo record yourself. But the internship was a great experience. It was for an internship in Houston. Interns get their own office which is a great perk.

Interview Questions

• asked me about myself, and explain a time I had conflict with others in a team setting   2 Answers

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX).

Interview

I was asked several situational questions and some very generic questions about technology. The interview was done by two people. This was after my initial interview with the staffing company I would be contracted to Marathon through. Their mood was serious and they didn't seem to know what they should ask me. I had thought of so many other questions that would be better suited for the job they were going to hire me for, yet they stuck to very generalized subjects and questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider your greatest strength?   1 Answer

Petroleum Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied online on Marathon's official site and got an email saying that I've been selected to have an interview after 3 weeks. It was an online video interview including some basic behavioral questions and my knowledge about this company. Also it has several essay questions at the end.

Spotfire Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (San Antonio, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

interview was arranged by the school through an email that I replied to, I sent them my resume and I was called up the day before the interview. The interview was suppose to be a group interview but I was the only one that showed up. I was questioned by a panel of three people .

Interview Questions

• What projects have you done?
      what would be the 1st 5 things you would do if we hired you?
      what do you know about the waveform function.
      Answer Question

IT Security Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Marathon Oil in April 2015.

Interview

segmented, can take up to 4-5 hours. Had initial phone screening, called back several days later, than had a series of one:one and group interviews with several team members. A very pleasant team.

Senior Oracle Database Administrator Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through a top Recruiting agency. The job description says for Oracle Support role. Since I had more years of experience in database administration than what they were looking for, I was offered job without any interview/discussion. On day one, the DBA manager and the Team Lead were discussing with me a different job role(an implementation project) than advertised. In the afternoon, I had an unexpected meeting with the whole dba team which turned into a panel interview of 7 dbas. Though the manager and the team lead were asking technical questions, I had no idea why they want the presence of other 5 dbas in the interview room. They were all silent after introducing themselves and had a live view of my interview without notice. I don't know if the manager had any prior idea what he is looking for in a candidate. After a day of work at their location, I was informed that they didn't select me. What did you say???? I had other offers in line, which I declined for joining Marathon Oil and on day 1, my opining on the company changed. I wish they discussed the implementation role prior to extending an offer than informing after a day of work. Seems like they call it as interview at work after joining. Never heard anything like that in my whole career. May be the manager is trying for a different interview process (interview after extending offer) and wants candidate to leave the contract after joining them. Is this the way Marathon treats their contractors?

Totally unprofessional. I am thankful for not joining such an unethical group.

Interview Questions

• Questions on Oracle technical discussions, Archival backup and basic architecture.   Answer Question

GIS Tech Interview

Interview

Resume submitted, followed by a brief phone interview (30 minutes). An in-person on-site interview followed after a few weeks consisting of a panel of 3 employees acting as the selection committee. There were multiple interviewees for this in-person interview process, but it definitely felt like each interview was being tailored to specific skills and background strengths. There weren't any canned questions. Very professional and well done throughout.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question posed was whether or not there would be any deal breakers on my side for accepting the job if offered. I have never had this question asked before, and it threw me for a bit of a loop. The proposed hours were not typical, which is why I think that they were asking this as people with families or other obligations may need a more 8-to-5 schedule. I appreciate this very much though, and it made me feel like the interviewers were looking to make a "best fit" selection for the job instead of just filling a desk. It raised my opinion of this company even further.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview

Met them at the university career fair where they directed everyone they spoke to to apply online. They then had an informal dinner the night before with the recruiters and a few recent graduates of the university whom they had hired. The interview the next day was very relaxed and conversational with only two or three behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What's the toughest assignment you've had while in school here?   Answer Question