Marchex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 5, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer - Media Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

4 rounds of interview in pairs of two. I was given a tour of the company. There were a mixture of technical and behavioral questions asked. The recruiter replied with the decision within a week, which I consider a fast response time.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, format is very similar to those already in glassdoor. If you study those questions, you will have a good idea of their expectations of their candidates. I recommend brushing up on OOP concepts and practice XP development processes.   1 Answer

Jan 9, 2017 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! Our candidate experience while moving through our process is important to us; glad to see you had a good one. Dana-

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Contacted initially by the hiring manager. After the first phone screen I was set-up for phone screens with two other internal employees with whom the role interacts. Then, I was flown into Seattle for a full round of back to back interviews. I was treated very well including their accommodations for my stay in Seattle. After the on-site I had two more phone calls with senior leaders. During the entire process I was aware that they were just as interested in ensuring I was comfortable with the role, the company etc as much as they were interviewing me. Everything aspect was professionally handled, timely and accommodating to me.

Interview Questions

• It was clear they had assigned each interviewer competencies. They also each gave me plenty of time to ask questions of my own.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Typical negotiation but the Hiring Manager was upfront and transparent the entire time. Felt very comfortable with the entire offer/negotiation process.

SOC Operator II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with HR, then I had a 45 minute technical phone screen, and then I had an all-day on-site interview. The all-day interview was about 4-5 hours long in the middle of the workday so you couldn't also work that day at your regular job. I met all day with people 1 on 1, panels of 2 people, and with the managers over an informal lunch that had more questions and friendly talk.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a variety of Linux questions.   1 Answer

Jan 4, 2016

Glad you accepted. Welcome. - pete (ceo)

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Marchex came to my University's career fair and gave out a set of challenge problem. I completed the two problems and explained my solution to one of their engineers. They invited me to dinner later that night and offered me an interview for a Software Engineering internship.

The interview was one stage on-site and consisted of 3 parts.

The first part was a pair programming exercise with one other engineering programming with me and another acting as a program head and taking notes of the process. The question involved test driven design behind designing a family tree type object.

The next part of the interview was a basic object oriented design question.

After this, I was asked a couple basic coding questions and then I was able to ask the engineering interviewing me questions about the company.

After this, i was given a tour of the office and the manager giving me the tour went into detail about what the company does and more behind their technology.

After that, I was free to leave and I was told that offer decisions should be emailed a week from then, which is in a couple days now.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to pair program with one of their engineers and write tests for/develop a family tree ADT.   Answer Question

Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

2 interviews back to back. One coding question, one to test your partner programming skills. The coding question was 30min long and the paired programming was 90 min long where one employee plays the role of a PM and the other sits down with you to code whatever tasks the PM has.

Interview Questions

• Given two dates, determine if they are <1 months apart, 1 apart, or >1 month apart.   1 Answer

Campaign Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marchex in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online for the Account coordinator Position available but was forced to interview for the campaign manager position instead. Two days later, I received a cold-call interview. I was not aware of their screening/hiring process so it kind of ticked me off as I researched more about their Account Coordinator position, but was interviewed for a position I did not apply for or have interest in whatsoever. I still proceeded with the interview, with the HR person briefly saying that I applied for their AC position but still insisting that my resume aligns better with their CM position. It was a 45 minute interview, mostly asking about what is on my resume and expanding more about it in detail, and also why I want to work for Marchex etc. After that, the HR said he will forward my resume and interview question to the Lead/higher up position for review and will give me a call the next day. Sure enough, I did not hear anything back. I tried contacting him and leaving him a voicemail but he didn't budge.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
    • Walk me through your resume, what is this and that and explain what accomplisment you achieved   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Marchex/Why did you choose us? What do you know about us?   1 Answer

Jun 13, 2016 – Director, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We take care to ensure every candidate has a positive experience from the initial application to the closing process. We didn't get it right this ... More

Market Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online to the market development position. I then called Marchex immediately after and asked to be connected with a senior recruiter. The recruiter did a quick phone screen and passed along my information to my current manager. My manager then set up a phone interview and I came in for an in person interview the following week. The process was very straight forward and Marchex maintained clear communication about next steps.

Interview Questions

• How do you respond to rejection in a business setting?   Answer Question

Jan 4, 2016

Glad you accepted; love the inbound follow-up. Welcome! - pete (ceo)

Strategic Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marchex (New York, NY).

Interview

Very easy. Spoke to several people from corporate office as well as in the NY office. Went over my background and what the company was looking to do and where they wanted to grow.

Director Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

3 day process, phone screen , 1:1, then panel where I had to present the product. the team was extremely open and provided great insight. The team also made me feel extremely comfortable as I moved through the interview process.

Interview Questions

• My background, why my interest in Marchex, needed to present the Marchex solution as if i was speaking to a customer or client.   Answer Question

Negotiation

negotiation was not a challenge, i knew what i wanted and was able to communicate prior to going into the the initial interview

Social Media Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter out of the blue. We spoke briefly about the role and when it was determined that my skill set was in-line with the role responsibilites, we scheduled time for me to have a phone interview with the Marketing Director.

After a successful 30 minute chat, I was scheduled to come on-site to meet with various managers. My interview was split into two visits, each clocking in at about two hours.

I first met with the product marketing team to talk about specific Marchex goals with product marketing and social media. This, I felt, was to get a sense of how to integrate social with not only brand persona, but also as a B2B sales tool. Their questions were thorough and provided a space for us to have a conversation about my skills and how they would integrate into the bigger picture.

I was then brought in later in the week to meet face to face with the Marketing Director and SVP or Marketing and Consumer Insights. This was an informal, lunch meeting, where we chatted about the brand, their history with social media, and their goals for the new role and what they were looking for. I was able to lay out my social media philosophy and touch on key strategy points, and really got a good idea of the company's view on where they wanted to take their social channels.

After this talk was complete, I had an interview exit chat with the recruiter and went about the rest of my day. There was no communication for the next week as I noticed the folks I had interviewed with browsing my LinkedIn profile, as well as several I had not had the opportunity to speak with.

The recruiter contacted me one week after my second visit with the offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you view advertising companies on social media?   Answer Question
    • What is key to you in a brand's social media presence?   Answer Question
    • What kind of tools do you use for social media management?   1 Answer