Marchex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marchex Interview Questions

Interviews at Marchex

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via email. This same recruiter mistakenly included me on a group email discussing the results of another candidate's interview, but aside from the name of the candidate no confidential information was actually leaked to me. Aside from that, the recruiter was mostly professional and responsive.

The first interview was a basic "get to know you" with the hiring manager over the phone. The afternoon after his phone screen I was invited to a technical phone screen, and the afternoon after that I was invited to an on-site interview loop.

The interview loop consisted of three two-on-one interviews, one one-on-one lunch interview, and a recap with the recruiter. It lasted most of the day. Most of the questions were technical questions about programming, with some resume review. The recruiter wished me good luck by email the day before I came in, and everything seemed to go well. I was later invited in for a second two-on-one on-site interview with two other members of the team, which likewise seemed to go well.

I was later informed that while my interview went well and the entire team wanted to hire me, the position I was interviewing for was reorganized out from under me, so they could not make an offer. I had an informational interview with another manager followed by two on-site 1:1 interviews for a smaller group, but that didn't work out and they seemed to forget about me after that.

While most of the process seemed fair enough, I was always iffy about the company. The work environment that I saw was basically a cube farm, which is about average but compares poorly both to the bigger employers in the Seattle area and the startups. Overall, though, it's pretty shitty to eliminate job openings you've already interviewed for, and reflects poorly on their management and direction.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a program to find possible mappings between telephone numbers and mnemonics (like 1-800-STARBUCKS)?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Marchex in November 2012.

Interview

I met a group of employees at a college campus career fair. My research experiences melded with their techniques and they scheduled an in-person interview right away. It took place a week or so later at their headquarters. Everyone I met was very friendly and welcoming. The interview process was just a few hours that day. The first hour was spent answering technical questions. The next hour was spent talking to two engineers about my experience, although I believe this was atypical. Usually, an interviewee would do some pair-programming I believe. After that, I was given a brief tour of the offices and given a bag of swag. I was not offered a position, and my theory is that I was not experienced enough as a programmer.

Interview Questions

• They had me write pseudo-code for a simple card game, first listing out all the possible methods one might need for any card game. Then writing out code for a game of War.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

I was asked to do two basic problems during the campus career fair, one was testing and one programming. I did well on both of them and was invited to a VIP dinner on the same day to meet the employers. The following week I received an on-site interview opportunity, it was a 4-hour, 4-section long interview. The questions wasn't hard, they went through design, programming, pairing interviews and lastly gave me a tour of the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marchex.

Interview

I met them on the campus. I finished 2 questions and got invited to a private dinner. Then I got an on-site interview. There were three rounds. The first one is a pair-interview. Second one is some algorithm problems and the third one is design questions. Then they gave me a tour of the company.

Interview Questions

• Designing an online reservation system for a restaurant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

It was a very straight-forward technical interview. We started off with a basic technical question. After that, we talked about the company's use of pair programming and I worked on some code with one of their engineers. The engineers I worked with all talked about what it was like working at Marchex, and answered a lot of my questions. It ended with a tour of the office and some casual conversation. Overall, not a bad experience.

Interview Questions

• Write code to find the first repeated digit in a string, and explain the efficiency of your code.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

Heard from Marchex a week after career fair. Spent 2 hours interviewing with 3 groups of recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Nothing special, design a game. BST. Pair-work writing test cases.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Marchex came to my University's career fair and gave out a set of challenge problem. I completed the two problems and explained my solution to one of their engineers. They invited me to dinner later that night and offered me an interview for a Software Engineering internship.

The interview was one stage on-site and consisted of 3 parts.

The first part was a pair programming exercise with one other engineering programming with me and another acting as a program head and taking notes of the process. The question involved test driven design behind designing a family tree type object.

The next part of the interview was a basic object oriented design question.

After this, I was asked a couple basic coding questions and then I was able to ask the engineering interviewing me questions about the company.

After this, i was given a tour of the office and the manager giving me the tour went into detail about what the company does and more behind their technology.

After that, I was free to leave and I was told that offer decisions should be emailed a week from then, which is in a couple days now.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to pair program with one of their engineers and write tests for/develop a family tree ADT.   Answer Question

Social Media Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter out of the blue. We spoke briefly about the role and when it was determined that my skill set was in-line with the role responsibilites, we scheduled time for me to have a phone interview with the Marketing Director.

After a successful 30 minute chat, I was scheduled to come on-site to meet with various managers. My interview was split into two visits, each clocking in at about two hours.

I first met with the product marketing team to talk about specific Marchex goals with product marketing and social media. This, I felt, was to get a sense of how to integrate social with not only brand persona, but also as a B2B sales tool. Their questions were thorough and provided a space for us to have a conversation about my skills and how they would integrate into the bigger picture.

I was then brought in later in the week to meet face to face with the Marketing Director and SVP or Marketing and Consumer Insights. This was an informal, lunch meeting, where we chatted about the brand, their history with social media, and their goals for the new role and what they were looking for. I was able to lay out my social media philosophy and touch on key strategy points, and really got a good idea of the company's view on where they wanted to take their social channels.

After this talk was complete, I had an interview exit chat with the recruiter and went about the rest of my day. There was no communication for the next week as I noticed the folks I had interviewed with browsing my LinkedIn profile, as well as several I had not had the opportunity to speak with.

The recruiter contacted me one week after my second visit with the offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you view advertising companies on social media?   Answer Question
    • What is key to you in a brand's social media presence?   Answer Question
    • What kind of tools do you use for social media management?   1 Answer

Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marchex (Seattle, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

2 interviews back to back. One coding question, one to test your partner programming skills. The coding question was 30min long and the paired programming was 90 min long where one employee plays the role of a PM and the other sits down with you to code whatever tasks the PM has.

Interview Questions

• Given two dates, determine if they are <1 months apart, 1 apart, or >1 month apart.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Marchex.

Interview

I had a phone interview for a high school internship with Marchex. One phone conversation with a member of the staff where we discussed what I could do to help the company, and what they needed my help with.