Marchex Reviews | Glassdoor

Marchex Reviews

Updated Oct 8, 2019

Found 130 reviews

3.7
Marchex CEO Russell Horowitz, Michael Arends, and Ethan Caldwell. (no image)
Russell Horowitz, Michael Arends, and Ethan Caldwell.
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay/compensation, not always valued for your work(in 7 reviews)

• "The largest single group of employees are the campaign managers (considered entry level)(in 5 reviews)

"Flexible schedule and product is taking an interesting direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are fantastic, cool AI-driven product, lots of flexibility which I really appreciate

Cons

Nothing major, like any job there are some bad days but it's mostly good

Advice to Management

Continue to work on being transparent about the direction of the company

Marchex2019-08-09

"Positive Direction"

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are great, everyone is willing to do what they can and helpful. Company is pivoting in the right direction and adding resources where needed.

Cons

Some growing and process pains as the pivot happens but the right resources are working to refine and improve...

Advice to Management

Stay a path and focus, everyone wants revenue, but can't jump to shiny new things, be deliberate, and finite and trust the process and the resources you have in the positions that execute on the path...

Marchex2019-10-08

October 11, 2019Sr. Recruiter

Thank you for the review! We also think we have great people who make Marchex a wonderful place to work!

3. "Cool problems - Great people"

Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture Collaboration Work life balance

Cons

No single CEO Moving too fast Unreasonable deadlines Being provided solutions and not the problem

Advice to Management

Create and work to roadmaps not hunches

Marchex2019-09-12

October 11, 2019Sr. Recruiter

Thank you for taking time to write a review! Glad to hear you value our culture, collaboration and work life balance - we feel those things are pretty wonderful as well! We're always striving to better ourselves, and we appreciate your feedback on roadmaps and deadlines!

"Beware! There are better SaaS jobs in Seattle with more pay/better benefits."

Former Employee - Customer Success in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Snacks and sodas in the kitchen -Dependent on your team, your coworkers can be the best part of your time at Marchex

Cons

- Compensation is not competitive at all -Leadership has visions of grandeur for the future, and this is affecting the core product of analytics -Developers who built the foundation of the core-products have all departed -People are very high school acting. Expect gossip and cliques. -Leadership does not care about SMB and only care about Enterprise

Advice to Management

Why has this company had no CEO for over 3 years? (Russ' excuses at company meetings are not going to cut it) Do not exploit new college graduates with a 'temp' job with the lowest pay while not allowing them to interact with any other teams. Campaign Managers are underpaid micromanaged outsourcing quality checkers.

Marchex2019-08-02
  5. "Sinking ship, but cool colleagues"

Current Employee - Market Development Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked with cool people. Team happy hours were fun.

Cons

Sinking ship, unrealistic sales quotas, departments do not work well together.

Advice to Management

Align sales and marketing better.

Marchex2019-07-19

"Good People, Lack of Direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some really amazing people work here, almost everyone is very easy to get along with. Location of office is convenient, there are numerous bus stops nearby - the building's parking can get pricey though.

Cons

Pay was still below the average for the market, better than it was, but still lagging. There is a bit of tunnel-vision among supervisors and managers when it comes to talent. They can often single out someone as their chosen one, and work really hard with them on advancing their career (especially if they're already hungry for it) but will often let others wither on the vine. Company definitely felt very... rudderless for a while, a felt like executive-level folks were easily distracted by the new shiny thing, and would leave older departments/revenue streams to languish instead of supporting them enough to remain viable.

Advice to Management

There's a lot of great people on your teams, some are very visible in their desire for career advancement and that makes it easy to work with them to go further. Others are going to be more shy about it, and while those are going to to be the ones that need the most work, they shouldn't be left behind. Spend time with each of your employees to understand where they fall into this range, and really - I mean... really - work with those that need it but are quiet, unsure, or afraid to ask. Don't couch it in some arbitrary quarterly goal system, do it organically so that there is a real mentor-mentee dynamic.

Marchex2019-06-17
  7. "Excellent on-boarding, benefits and people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for less than a year

Pros

On-boarding & training out of the shoot was excellent. They really took the time to introduce me to people, products and the overall business. I was set up with a mentor right away and really felt welcomed and accepted into the company! Marchex also has great benefits, PTO and lots of other perks. They support the community by offering volunteer opportunities. Marchex is full of kind people who work hard and... want to do a great job. Definitely a great place to be!

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about Marchex.

Marchex2019-05-22

"Good pay, decent benefits, unequal/unfair treatment of employees"

Former Employee - Onboarding and Training Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Room for growth in certain departments, for certain people. Good pay in certain roles. Exciting development technology.

Cons

People lower on totem pole are underpaid, underappreciated and downright forgotten. Gossipy, cliquey work environment. Really unfair treatment of long-standing employees, not being promoted when they are obvious choice. Poor communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more. Don't allow unprofessional, poisonous people to stay at your company. Don't ignore the culture, ethics, employee dissatisfaction.

Marchex2019-01-19

"All Outsourced - Not Valuing Seattle Employees"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work/life balance for some. Free snacks Some good people who continue to leave to feel valued and make industry standard pay.

Cons

No team lunches or other outings due to tight budgets. Employees leave and are not backfilled. Management believes we can be replaced by offshore teams although that strategy is failing in many ways costing even more money. Morale is low, money is tight, there are very few raises or advancements other than friends brought in by new management.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any because they haven't listened to the complaints before so I expect nothing more than that. Russ, why are you letting this happen?

Marchex2018-10-07

October 10, 2018Sr. Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback. It sounds like we need to do a better job sharing our renewed vision with all of our team members, and we are sorry that our efforts have fallen short. We’ve had an intense last few years with a lot of changes as we have transitioned to the next phase of our successful company. Part of these changes have included investing and focusing in new and different areas, which might make it seem like we aren’t backfilling every position or are focused on outsourcing. However, we are committed to growing the business in a thoughtful and impactful way. We also continue to find ways to invest in our employees and show our appreciation, and we’re sorry this has been missing from your recent experience with us. Once again we appreciate and value your feedback, as well as your time with Marchex, and we invite you to speak directly with any of the leadership about helping us to find ways to improve.

"Great people, great company"

Current Employee - Analytics in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing group of talented professionals that truly put their customers first. They welcomed me into their culture from day one and extended their trust and openness right away. It's a really fun place and the teams like to celebrate together, especially on Fridays.

Cons

There have been a lot of changes of the past year in terms of leadership and direction, but I am excited about where we have landed. There is so much great stuff happening.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on that innovation engine as each of these new solutions (and AI) is so exciting for our customers -- and employees.

Marchex2018-09-11

September 14, 2018Sr. Recruiter

Thank you for the review! We are definitely proud of our culture, as well as the direction we're headed, and are glad you are enjoying being here too. All the best, Crista, Sr. Recruiter

Found 130 reviews