Marchex Reviews

Updated Jan 11, 2021

3.4
Marchex Office of the CEO Russell Horowitz, Michael Arends, and Ethan Caldwell. (no image)
Russell Horowitz, Michael Arends, and Ethan Caldwell.
Pros
Cons
  • "High turnover, Promised Benefits that never came, Low pay(in 8 reviews)

• "The largest single group of employees are the campaign managers (considered entry level)(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Work-Life Balance is real / Amazing Technology Stack"

5.0
    Current Employee - Manager, Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Work Life Balance is real. Rarely any emails after 5pm. This is a very sustainable model and not common in the technology and software industry - Winning formula is hiring very smart people who are efficient and effective - Technology stack is amazing. Cutting edge microservices environment using Kafka and Big Data techniques. AI element with data scientists. Practices cloud computing. - small company the size of a Startup yet has the critical mass of a large company that has stocks (IPO’d) and bonuses

Cons

Need more staffing for ever growing projects. Come join us !

2. "Great learning experience"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Allowed to learn new tech

Cons

Poor focus, much change in company direction

January 15, 2021Recruiting Manager

We greatly appreciate the feedback, and are glad you got to learn new technologies during your time with us. Investing in our employees learning and development is something we strive to do. There have been shifts that have had to happen, especially during Covid, as we pivot based on market demands of our product, and it sounds like we missed the mark in relaying our strategy and focus. As a company we are committed to doing better at this. Thank you for the feedback!

3. "Struggling"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people working around you

Cons

lack of focus or direction

January 15, 2021Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your response. Our focus has had to shift during Covid as we adjust to changes in the market. We value your feedback though, and will make sure to continue to share company strategy and direction with all employees. Stay tuned for our Town Hall next week!

4. "SDE2"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II SDE2 in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting projects to work on. Good coworkers.

Cons

Lots of unfinished work left on the table by business decisions.

"Good for a year or two"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

40 hour weeks, snacks, some good people, never boring

Cons

Lack of product focus, leadership ability, budgets are tight so no new hiring and no one is hired to replace engineers who leave. Half of engineering is outsourced to China and India. Pay is average with only small to no increase if you are promoted. They have spent all their money recently buying 3 other companies to hopefully turn the ship around.

"I work here"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible work-life balance. My director is a great leader who really tries to clearly communicate and elevate me.

Cons

Lack of product focus from leadership.

"Great People, Confusing Leadership Goals, & Un-Competitive Salary"

Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are definitely very nice and wonderful at Marchex. The snacks in the kitchen are great and so are the weekly product updates. Generally, there can be a lot of responsibility growth for individuals and good learning opportunities. They’re working hard on improving the UI and product and have two new companies under them that will help the product stay competitive in the long term. They’re investing heavily in AI and really are working towards a better, more advanced product.

Cons

When I was here they acquired two companies in one year. That led to a freezing on hiring. As a result, a lot of teams got squeezed, people left without being replaced, but responsibilities increased and salary increases were dismal even for the highest performers. That being said, salaries are not competitive and most people are underpaid for Seattle. Additionally, the effects of not having a CEO for the past 3 years are felt throughout. There are great executive leaders but each has competing and sometimes conflicting priorities. This subsequently leads to goals being abandoned or new unrelated ones appearing mid year with no one to analyze the results.

December 10, 2019Director, People Services

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Glassdoor! The wonderful people at Marchex are one of our many great assets, and we are glad you got to experience working alongside of them while advancing your career. We’re also excited about the investments in our technology, and feel our product is continuing to head in an industry-leading direction. We are sorry that your team felt a squeeze with acquisitions that took place in the last year as we were working diligently to integrate the other companies and do our best to resource appropriately with the talented new additions to our team. We are always striving to do our best and so will continue to work on our communication across the organization and continue our ongoing compensation analysis efforts – we appreciate the feedback and realize there is always a way to improve!

"Smart Company, Still Needed Structure"

Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Information-saturated environment, fast- paced, with a beautiful view.

Cons

High turnover, Promised Benefits that never came, Low pay

"Positive Direction"

4.0
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are great, everyone is willing to do what they can and helpful. Company is pivoting in the right direction and adding resources where needed.

Cons

Some growing and process pains as the pivot happens but the right resources are working to refine and improve...

October 11, 2019Sr. Recruiter

Thank you for the review! We also think we have great people who make Marchex a wonderful place to work!

"Cool problems - Great people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture Collaboration Work life balance

Cons

No single CEO Moving too fast Unreasonable deadlines Being provided solutions and not the problem

October 11, 2019Sr. Recruiter

Thank you for taking time to write a review! Glad to hear you value our culture, collaboration and work life balance - we feel those things are pretty wonderful as well! We're always striving to better ourselves, and we appreciate your feedback on roadmaps and deadlines!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 138 English Reviews