Matalan Retail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Matalan Retail Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2018

2.1

General Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maidstone, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Maidstone, England (UK)) in April 2018.

Interview

Applied online.
    Application was quick & painless, there's a simple timed competency questionnaire about customer service.
    I received an email a couple of days later inviting me to a group interview for in about a week & a half's time. In this email it was detailed there would be an icebreaker activity whereby you had to bring in an item that you thought best described you.

On the day of the interview as I was the first to arrive I was asked to wait at the customer service desk until the other candidates arrived.

Once the 3 of us were together the Assistant Manager took us to the Training Room where they had set up 6 chairs in a semi-circle in front of a desk.
    The Assistant Manager was then joined by the Store Manager as they welcomed us to the interview, they were incredibly friendly, welcoming & they explained what it's like to work at Matalan, company structure, services provided & that charity work is a big thing for the brand.
    We then moved on into the icebreaker, where we had to take out the item we'd brought with us & say what it said about us - I took a history book, another candidate took a crystal, and another candidate had a Pudsey bear.

After this we were going to be split up for a group activity, whereby we were tasked with finding outfits for a 7 day trip away for Easter in a hot climate where the customer is mid 20s-30s, has £70 to spend & had to fit it all in carry-on. As there were only 3 of us, they split the me & the another male applicant into 1 group where we were paired with an experience shop floor worker to scout menswear, & the female applicant was on her own with another experienced shop floor worker to scout womenswear.
    You only had about 10 minutes to complete the task & this was by far, personally, the worst part of the interview - I misunderstood it & was trying to keep to budget religiously, & me & my interviewing partner had very different ideas of what constituted as fashionable holiday wear. So we ended up with a basket of holiday gear worth exactly £70 & a bit of a mismatch of styles.
    The ladies team blew over their budget considerably with a great choice of clothes, but it was not what they were looking for.
    What they essentially want is for you to fulfil the £70 budget, but then manage to grab a few little extras that will drive up sales - things like a hat, sunglasses, maybe an extra pair of shoes. It’s so it turns the handful of items someone may have specifically wanted to purchase into what is known as a “basket” (so they’d need a basket for it all).
    There was no winner declared or anything like that, the Assistant Manager just looked through our selection & asked about the budget and then explained about the basket scenario.

We then went back to the training room & were called in 1 by 1 for our 1 on 1 interviews.
    The interview takes place with the Assistant Manager in the Management Office.
    What follows is a very simple, straightforward interview, mainly questions about your availability, how you get to work, why you would like to work for Matalan, what you think constitutes good customer service (specifically asked what other brand can you think of that provides fantastic customer service) - as I had worked in retail extensively previously, we spoke about that, and I was asked where I see myself in 2 years.
    The Assistant Manager explained a little more in depth about the role, how many hours were available, about overtime & asked me about pre-booked holidays.
    Then I was asked if I had any questions.

Within 3 days I had been contacted by email saying I had got the job & that I was invited to an Induction Day in a week and a half’s time.

On the Induction Day there was 3 of us that arrived, waited at Customer Service as before, & were then taken into the Training Room by the Assistant Manager again. Apparently there was supposed to be 4 of us.
    Then we were filling out all the paperwork regarding your details, a secondary check over your availability, then the rotas were gone through with you, & how/when the rota system is updated.
    In fact, because one of the people did not turn up for the interview, her shifts were actually split up there & then & offered as overtime directly to us.
    We then were told a bit more in depth about the company, about the values, were given Employee Handbooks & the materials regarding our training, which would be being completed in store over the next 13 weeks.
    We then did some basic Health & Safety, Challenge 25, Data Protection Act & company policy regarding plastic bags & coat hangers training.
    The induction finished with us watching a few quite lengthy Oscar-worthy Health & Safety Training videos.
    The whole induction process took about 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability?   1 Answer
    • Which other brand can you name that provides excellent customer service?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Matalan?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 2 years?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any pre-booked holiday?   1 Answer

Trainee Assistant Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Liverpool, England (UK)).

Interview

Assessment day starts with a 10 minute presentation on the role of a Merchandiser, they a one to one interview lasting about 15-20 minutes then a group excersize which looks at your skills of working together, how you process info and make decisions.

Part-time Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Dundee, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Recieved a phone call offering me an interview about 3-4 weeks after submitting an application. Interview was the day after the phone call. Very pleasant experience, took about 10-15 min. Just some general questions and asking me for my availability, etc. Received offer at the end of interview. Training session was a few days later.

A couple questions were pretty unexpected, I struggled not to repeat my answers. I've included only the questions I can remember:

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question
    • What skills can you bring to Matalan?   Answer Question
    • What are some other businesses that you feel provide excellent customer service?   Answer Question
    • How would you contribute to our standard of customer service?   Answer Question
    • We pride ourselves in being a family-oriented company. How would you go about ensuring that this comes across to our customers?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you helped a colleague or teammate.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you successfully worked as part of a team.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Matalan Retail.

Interview

There was a careers fair which you had to go to to find out about the Christmas temp job. I handed in my application form and 2 hours later I got a call offering me and interview, I was told my interview would be at 3.30pm and there would be a group interview first followed by a one-to-one interview.
    The group interview started off by the store manager and two assistants talking at us about the job in more detail. Then we did an icebreaker (say 3 facts about yourself). After this we got put into groups (two 3's and one 4) and taken out of the staff room and onto the shop floor. We were given a small brief from the imaginary customer and had to ask questions to find out exactly what they liked/disliked then had 5 minutes to go and find an outfit. Then we had to take it back to the staff room and explain why we got what we did. After this we got taken into a different staff room to wait for our one-to-one interviews. I was there about an hour and a half.

Interview Questions

• When have you had to change yourself to be part of a team?   1 Answer
    • What qualities would you bring to Matalan if you are given the job.   1 Answer
    • When have you had to change yourself to help others?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Matalan Retail in September 2017.

Interview

After applying online and completing an assessment I was invited for a group assessment. The interview was relaxed and fun and the Manager who conducted the interview was really friendly and enthusiastic. The other member of staff who was observing was friendly and helpful, too. We were sat around 2 tables (there were 9 of us in all) and had to take it in turns to just tell everyone a little bit about ourselves - nothing too long. We were then put into pairs and each pair was given a brief about a customer needing an outfit for an occasion. We then had to go out onto the shop floor and choose the outfit. We then took the outfits back and had to tell the others why we had picked the items that we did. All in all it was a relaxed and enjoyable interview.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Just a chat, what experience i had, what hours i wanted, flexibility in hours, no questions what skills i had, unable to answer any of my questions for what i would like. Waste of time

General Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Brighton, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Very quick and easy, phone screen was quick and easy too. The interview questions straightforward too. Very quick and easy, phone screen was quick and easy too. The interview questions straightforward too. Very quick and easy, phone screen was quick and easy too. The interview questions straightforward too. Very quick and easy, phone screen was quick and easy too. The interview questions straightforward too.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

It was great, very friendly more like a informal conversation rather than an interview. Basic question were asked so don't worry about it. Overall it was very calm and laid back interview.

Team Leader Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Matalan Retail.

Interview

First was a phone screening really easy
    Next was a 1:1 interview
    Found out the new day that I got the job
    Really easy process and quick with simple questions asked and a focus on customer service

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Matalan Retail.

Interview

easy, relaxed, short. no dress code seemed more for the paperwork than to actually see if i suited the job. i was just filling a space essentially. very very easy

Interview Questions

• would you feel confident talking to customers about the company.   Answer Question