Matalan Retail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Matalan Retail Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2018

2.1

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

It was great, very friendly more like a informal conversation rather than an interview. Basic question were asked so don't worry about it. Overall it was very calm and laid back interview.

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was very long asked like 20 questions or more went on for 2 Hours
    They sugar coated the job role would of thaught I was applying to be prime minster.
    When answering the questions was told to give examples when I did was asked to give more.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you've gone the extra mile?   1 Answer

Over all experience worst interview I have ever had.

Team Leader Interview

Interview

I applied online and recieved a call back for a phone interview 3 days later. I was then told that i will hear back within a week.

It took the recruitment team 3 weeks to inform me of the face-to-face assessment. This was after i had enquired myself in regards to my process and was subsequently ignored for 1.5 weeks.

After the interview i was told that i will have an answer at the end of the week. There was no answer. A week later i contacted Matalan Recruitment to be told the recruiter was on holiday and to call the store myself.

It is now week 6 since the initial phone interview and there still has been no feedback.
    As much as i can sympathise with the high volumes for any roles, the applicants who are sent for interviews due deserve a call back, even if it is to give some feedback.

Team Leader Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Matalan Retail.

Interview

First was a phone screening really easy
    Next was a 1:1 interview
    Found out the new day that I got the job
    Really easy process and quick with simple questions asked and a focus on customer service

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hull, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Hull, England (UK)) in September 2012.

Interview

The initial interview was a group interview, mine was with four, more recently interviews have been with up to ten people. Basic questions like where have you recieved good customer service and where have you recieved bad customer service, Matalan loves good customer service, it gets drilled into us all the time!!! then after the group interview the manager asked us in one at a time to ask us more personal questions about our previous experience, our expectations about the job and various other things. recieved a call a few days later informing me i had the job and was asked back for health and safety training, completed in a few hours, then back for till training.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if i had ever gone above and beyond in my role in a previous job, found this hard as i hadnt had a real job before but instead of saying none, i recounted a time when i helped out a lot at school...   Answer Question

GSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Chelmsford, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Very brief and simple. Asked questions that anyone with a weak grasp of the English language could answer. The lady asked me typical interview questions such as "What makes you get out of bed in the morning?", "Why do you want to work at Matalan?" and other such questions.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a retail environment you think is effective?   1 Answer

GSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merry Hill, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Merry Hill, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Informal chat with current manager, went through a question pack together detailing my skills and how I was suited to my role at matalan, very friendly overall. Manager was kind and helped me throughout my interview if I was faced with questions I found challenging. Interview was short and a 1:1 in a private office which was very reassuring

GSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (York, England (UK)) in June 2010.

Interview

You have to fill out an easy application form that can be downloaded from their website. There is no need for a cv. Once successful with this you're contacted via phone call and asked to come for an interview that will be either 1to1 or a group interview.

Interview Questions

• What the most important thing is in retail.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They ask you to fill in a simple availability sheet and set a contract (4,8,12 hours, or full time) and then they'll work your hours into the times you're available

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Matalan Retail.

Interview

Go through an interview process then work together in teams to see how u work together etc and do different tasks communication one to one also after that u will be told if u get through to the next stage and then there us another interview process one on one and then a decision is made before u are told

Interview Questions

• Do u know anything about matalan
      What are u r faults
      What the worst thing u have had to do in a company and have u carried it out without hesitation   Answer Question

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Group interview - Put into pair and were given 2 occasions to choose outfits for within 5 minutes. Not so formal and a very relaxed atmosphere. The interview was two hours long.