Matalan Retail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Matalan Retail Interview Questions

Updated Nov 21, 2017

2.1

Trainee Assistant Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Liverpool, England (UK)).

Interview

Assessment day starts with a 10 minute presentation on the role of a Merchandiser, they a one to one interview lasting about 15-20 minutes then a group excersize which looks at your skills of working together, how you process info and make decisions.

Part-time Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Dundee, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Recieved a phone call offering me an interview about 3-4 weeks after submitting an application. Interview was the day after the phone call. Very pleasant experience, took about 10-15 min. Just some general questions and asking me for my availability, etc. Received offer at the end of interview. Training session was a few days later.

A couple questions were pretty unexpected, I struggled not to repeat my answers. I've included only the questions I can remember:

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question
    • What skills can you bring to Matalan?   Answer Question
    • What are some other businesses that you feel provide excellent customer service?   Answer Question
    • How would you contribute to our standard of customer service?   Answer Question
    • We pride ourselves in being a family-oriented company. How would you go about ensuring that this comes across to our customers?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you helped a colleague or teammate.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you successfully worked as part of a team.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Matalan Retail.

Interview

There was a careers fair which you had to go to to find out about the Christmas temp job. I handed in my application form and 2 hours later I got a call offering me and interview, I was told my interview would be at 3.30pm and there would be a group interview first followed by a one-to-one interview.
    The group interview started off by the store manager and two assistants talking at us about the job in more detail. Then we did an icebreaker (say 3 facts about yourself). After this we got put into groups (two 3's and one 4) and taken out of the staff room and onto the shop floor. We were given a small brief from the imaginary customer and had to ask questions to find out exactly what they liked/disliked then had 5 minutes to go and find an outfit. Then we had to take it back to the staff room and explain why we got what we did. After this we got taken into a different staff room to wait for our one-to-one interviews. I was there about an hour and a half.

Interview Questions

• When have you had to change yourself to be part of a team?   1 Answer
    • What qualities would you bring to Matalan if you are given the job.   1 Answer
    • When have you had to change yourself to help others?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Matalan Retail in September 2017.

Interview

After applying online and completing an assessment I was invited for a group assessment. The interview was relaxed and fun and the Manager who conducted the interview was really friendly and enthusiastic. The other member of staff who was observing was friendly and helpful, too. We were sat around 2 tables (there were 9 of us in all) and had to take it in turns to just tell everyone a little bit about ourselves - nothing too long. We were then put into pairs and each pair was given a brief about a customer needing an outfit for an occasion. We then had to go out onto the shop floor and choose the outfit. We then took the outfits back and had to tell the others why we had picked the items that we did. All in all it was a relaxed and enjoyable interview.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Just a chat, what experience i had, what hours i wanted, flexibility in hours, no questions what skills i had, unable to answer any of my questions for what i would like. Waste of time

General Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Brighton, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Very quick and easy, phone screen was quick and easy too. The interview questions straightforward too. Very quick and easy, phone screen was quick and easy too. The interview questions straightforward too. Very quick and easy, phone screen was quick and easy too. The interview questions straightforward too. Very quick and easy, phone screen was quick and easy too. The interview questions straightforward too.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

It was great, very friendly more like a informal conversation rather than an interview. Basic question were asked so don't worry about it. Overall it was very calm and laid back interview.

Team Leader Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Matalan Retail.

Interview

First was a phone screening really easy
    Next was a 1:1 interview
    Found out the new day that I got the job
    Really easy process and quick with simple questions asked and a focus on customer service

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Matalan Retail.

Interview

easy, relaxed, short. no dress code seemed more for the paperwork than to actually see if i suited the job. i was just filling a space essentially. very very easy

Interview Questions

• would you feel confident talking to customers about the company.   Answer Question

Trainee Assistant Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knowsley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Matalan Retail (Knowsley, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

After providing a CV and cover letter, they got back to me almost immediately about doing an online interview. This just involved regular questions about what I understood the job position to be, and why that was important, and about myself.
    After passing that stage I was invited to a morning at the head office, which involved giving a presentation about the job role and how it related to other areas of the business. Then there was a two on one interview which lasted about 20-30 mins, and finally a session of group work with 6 other candidates.
    We were promised feedback if we didn't get it, but this took a lot longer than other parts of the process, which was frustrating.

Interview Questions

• What do you think a merchandiser does?
      Who is the best leader you know?
      Tell us a bit about yourself?   Answer Question