Mathematica Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 231 of over 231 interviews

Campus Recruiting5%
2.8
HardAverageEasy

Mathematica

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mathematica

Interview

Really nice interviewers, but a very long process. From the interviews, it seems like a very good place to work. However, they left me hanging for weeks in the end without telling me they had already decided on someone else.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about yourself What interests you about Mathematica?
    Answer Question

Mathematica

Application

I interviewed at Mathematica

Interview

This is less about the interview process and more about the application process more broadly. Mathematica ghosted the summer fellowship applicants, not telling applicants when they had made their decision. The application required an individual research statement beyond just a CV and it’s unprofessional to not notify applicants. Mathematica had been one of my top choices for a career after graduation, but since this happened I’ve been more heavily looking into other options and I’ve spoken to others who feel similarly.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

The latest conversations about Consulting

131 Comments

Consulting

357.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=Mathematica~241439
Join the conversation on

Mathematica

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica

Interview

Several rounds of interviews over several weeks: first an HR phone screening with a recruiter; then a 1:1 interview with a senior researcher; finally a half-day of panel interviews with various staff members.

Interview Questions
  • Interviewers asked primarily about my research experiences, knowledge of methods, familiarity with tools like R and Stata, etc.

Mathematica

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mathematica

Interview

Not too bad- asked basic questions around experience and make sure you ask them thoughtful questions back. Over all a good experience wasn’t too overly formal in my opinion. Come prepared with project examples and experience to speak to with your interview person

Interview Questions
  • About projects that would relate to what I would be doing there

Mathematica

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica in May 2022

Interview

Phone Screen with a recruiter, then a technical round, then a final round with the hiring manager. If moved onto the technical round and complete the 2-hour assessment, you are guaranteed a review of your assessment live with an interviewer.

Interview Questions
  • How do you learn best? What's your experience explaining technical concepts to non-technical audiences?

Application

Interview

The interview process consisted of three stages. The first was a phone screen with one of the firm's recruiters. This was followed by a coding exercise and then a subsequent one-hour video interview with two data analysts to discuss the exercise. The final round was a panel interview with four senior executive team members, which was quite an open-ended and detailed discussion about my prior experience, training and skills. They also talked about the various opportunities at Mathematica, both within my role and more broadly.

Interview Questions
  • What is the biggest dataset you have worked with? What is your approach to data quality assurance?

Mathematica

Application

I interviewed at Mathematica

Interview

Multi-round interview process that started with a screening phone call and a conversation with the hiring manager, and then ended with a half-day of interviews. The interviews were engaging conversations with different team members.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica (Seattle, WA) in Apr 2022

Interview

I was contacted about a month after applying. Scheduling of the initial 45min interview was quick and smooth. The interview was straightforward and went well, from my perspective. The hiring manager requested I send additional information after our conversation and replied promptly when I did. After that, there has been no follow up. I reached out to the recruiter and hiring manager a few weeks after my interview to ask for a status update and received no response. This is the second time I’ve had this experience with Mathematica and it is incredibly disappointing for such a reputable company. I hear only great things about working there from those I know personally; I wish prospects were treated with a little more consideration and respect. It makes me think twice about applying again in the future.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Mathematica (Ann Arbor, MI) in Apr 2022

Interview

First step is an HR phone screening followed by a 30-45 minute call with a Senior Researcher. The last step is a video chat with several senior members as well as somebody with the same position. Everyone was super friendly and the interviews felt very straightforward. They were interested in what I had done and I felt myself almost relaxed by the end of the interviews.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica (Washington, DC) in Apr 2022

Interview

I applied online and it took about two weeks for a recruiter to reach out. The first interview was a phone call with the recruiter. After the phone interview I had to schedule a longer two hour interview. The two hour interview was broken up into four parts with different levels of employees. Everyone was very knowledgeable and helpful throughout the process. It was a great way to learn more about the organization and for them to learn more about you.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 231 Interviews

Mathematica Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Mathematica as 71.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.84 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Research Analyst and Research Associate rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Program Associate and Program Analyst roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Mathematica takes an average of 55 days when considering 284 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Research Associate had the quickest hiring process (on average 31 days), whereas Research Analyst roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 90 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Mathematica according to 284 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 35.23%