KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

McKinsey & Company

131 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Colleagues (at your level) are friendly and welcoming(in 33 reviews)
  • "a lot of genuinely nice people work here(in 19 reviews)
  • "Good Pay (which at times is bad because you price out the competition)(in 16 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and perks.(in 14 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance if you hold yourself to it and talk to your supervisor when things get too busy.(in 13 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low salary for junior level staff.(in 12 reviews)
  • "the lack of diversity among researchers and survey researchers is frustrating.(in 11 reviews)
  • "This leads to a lot of chaos and poor management.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Strict supervision, hostile culture at the survey center.(in 10 reviews)
  • "Poor training and for a company that is computer(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Mathematica and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to start your career!

Apr 9, 2022 - Research Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mathematica hires fantastic people- a great way to build your social and professional network.

Cons

Issues with work-life balance and very hierarchical

2. 4.0

Great place to work

Jun 2, 2022 - Senior Researcher in Princeton, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible employer Work that improves public well-being

Cons

Billable hours puts stress on employees to fill time with work-related tasks at all times, rather than promoting a culture of networking and professional development.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Current Employee

PTO benefits are severely lacking.

Jun 19, 2022 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues are smart, supportive and kind. I honestly think it would be challenging to find similar at other companies doing the same type of work with the same client base. That is what has kept me here so far.

Cons

But I've been strongly considering leaving as of late. I'm a younger, childless employee that really enjoys traveling. However, the PTO benefits here are not good at all. We essentially work ~240 days for 21 days of PTO. There are no separate buckets like other companies (sick, personal, vacation, etc.). We just have one PTO bucket and 8 holidays. I know I'm not alone in how I feel about the PTO. Many of my friends here (in their 20s and early 30s) feel the same. Since most of leadership are 40/50+ with children, it doesn't seem to be an issue for them, so improving the PTO benefits is not something they are considering. Doesn't seem like many of my older full-time colleagues travel much and when they do, they are perfectly fine with working/"checking in" while vacationing. With 21 PTO days, the company is essentially making us choose between true self-care days and planning for unpredictable sick days (the anxiety around getting COVID and having to take valuable PTO days to recover is REAL). Self-care is mental and physical health and we're not getting adequate self-care with 3 weeks vacation for a year of work. It's sad because I really like this company for other reasons.

Continue reading
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Flexibility

May 24, 2022 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, benefits, choice of work

Cons

Politics, staff development, not tech savvy

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee

Wonderful colleges

May 23, 2022 - Library Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

I experienced the support of many wonderful colleges while there.

Cons

X X X X X.

6. 4.0

Great place for researchers

May 1, 2022 - Project Associate in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance, people are friendly

Cons

Work can be stale, project management fluctuates

7. 5.0

Apr 28, 2022 - Health Researcher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work. Competitive pay. Good work life balance if you hold yourself to it and talk to your supervisor when things get too busy. Very kind colleagues who want you to succeed. Strong work from home culture, though there are also offices if you prefer to work in one.

Cons

None come to mind. Sometimes we run out of bagels on Friday mornings. Whomp :(

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not for me

May 8, 2022 - Health Research Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues are for the most part very smart and very kind.

Cons

Pay is low, timekeeping culture feels oppressive, analysts’ experiences vary wildy depending on projects assigned and manager assigned.

9. 5.0

Great employer

Apr 19, 2022 - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work with

Cons

None based on my 2 years tenure

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Review

Apr 18, 2022 - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility and work-life balance, friendly work culture

Cons

Frequent reorganization without sufficient transparency

Viewing 1 - 10 of 285 Reviews

Mathematica Reviews FAQs

Mathematica has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 321 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at Mathematica to a friend and 73% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Mathematica employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Mathematica. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

76% of Mathematica employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Mathematica 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Mathematica to be benefits, culture, coworkers and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, management, career development.

Popular Careers with Mathematica Job Seekers