Mattel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mattel Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

A phone interview first, then followed by few in person interviews afterwards by individuals from different roles. Everyone was very nice and the interview process was very well organized.

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattel.

Interview

1) Submitted my application in March,
    2) Got an email for a phone screen in early April
    3) Phone Screen
    4) Interview with 4 different team members from the department I'm applying including hiring manager
    5) 3 Phone interviews with various directors
    6) Assessment - late April/early May

7) Then nothing .... as other reviewers are saying "crickets"

Early on they were quite responsive and clearly I'm a qualified candidate who impressed at least some of the 8 people I interviewed with -- however its now been over a month and I've sent polite follow up emails (trying not to seem over eager or annoying) and left two messages for my recruiter. Website says still "Under Consideration."

I'm fine getting a no, but please can you reach out and tell me that? After taking the time to speak with eight different people, complete an assessment/multiple rounds, I think I deserve that courtesy. This a post-Master's position for me and so I've been in school until recent graduation, but I don't have all the time to wait and have a few other offers.

After everyone I spoke with and the job description, this role was my number one pick, but I don't even know if I'm still being considered and can't wait. I accepted elsewhere and the fact that this is a pattern for them is ridiculous and unprofessional.

IT WAS EIGHT INTERVIEWS AND AN ASSESSMENT AND THEY WON'T EVEN TAKE THE TIME TO SAY NO OR STILL IN CONSIDERATION. Pardon the all caps, but the rest of the process was a delight and the people in the department are clearly top notch and great -- I'm just frustrated as a qualified candidate that anyone who has set aside the time and put in the effort this much can't even get a response.

I called the recruiters... and I never call recruiters unprompted.

I also have a friend who while is on a slightly more recent timeline is experiencing the same thing with a different department -- I'm not sure what is going on over there, but it's really putting me off the brand.

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

The first round is a phone screen. If you pass phone screen, then you usually interview with 3-4 people from Manager to Director level to identify what team/brand would be a good fit. If the 2nd round goes well, then you usually have final round with a few Directors/VP level. You interview with people that are on the team as well as cross-functional partners you would work with (design, product development, marketing, etc.).

Interview Questions

• -Tell me about a good & bad marketing campaign? What makes it good/bad?
      -What is the biggest mistake or regret you have made?
      -What is your elevator pitch?
      -What is your biggest strength/weakness?
      -Case Questions: How would you sell this product (pen/water bottle/etc.) to a retail buyer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate 2 week delay before start date to get a bit of time to move & rejuvenate before starting role. Salary at AMM level typically is non-negotiable and pretty fair compensation to start.

Warehouse Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattel (Manhattan Beach, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

After you submit your application online. You will then recieve a phone call if u are a good match. You then will receive an email with instructions for the interview. It is a group interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a diffcult situation that u have and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

When I interviewed with them I was highly qualified for the job. Great fit. However I was told that they usually hire from within. So if you go in for an interview you're only likely wasting your own time. They interview only to be EEOC compliant. Don't waste your time. It's clear why they've struggled so much lately because they refuse to bring new blood in.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. Typical nonsense when they know you don't have a chance   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I had an initial interview with 6 people throughout one day. The testosterone was through the roof and it came across like a boys' club. I'm a male so I played along to make sure they were comfortable enough to speak freely, but I wouldn't work at a company that doesn't have diversity in both gender and ethnicity. Companies like that lack often lack a broader vision and I end up not loving it there (past experiences). I'm not saying that Mattel lacks diversity, but from what/who I saw and spoke to, and what/who I would have had to work with, I didn't see it. I didn't get an offer but I didn't really want one since I had been interviewing with better options.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

After the phone screen with the advanced products head, I Interviewed f2f with several key designers and developers and the advanced products head over the course of 2.5 hours. Team is enormously creative and were probing primarily on experiences related to design, product process and how I collaborated with different internal groups with different goals.

Interview Questions

• What are the product requirements you would make for an alarm clock?   Answer Question

Vice President, Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Unprofessional from start to finish. An outsourced HR rep, a woman "J", emails you with a title "your resume" (lower caps) and schedules a phone call. During the phone call, she lies about leaving you a message, when she never called. Also she is talking on the call while running errands with her kids. Rude! Waste of our time!

After that miracle, resume gets passed around and invited for interview - which - is downhill from there.

Executive turnover is not an excuse for upper middle management to act as key holders.

Mattel has a bad reputation (for Finance & Accounting) and may be a great place if you are in a Sales or Creative field.

Let's hope so! My daughters all love Barbie and American Girl.

Interview Questions

• 1. What attracted you to apply for the position?
      2. Why are you looking to leave your current job?
      3. What were you making at your last job?   Answer Question

Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Mattel (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Seemed pretty haphazard. The job titles do not reflect what the actual job entails, and not every person i interviewed with understood what the job would be. I will give them one thing, however--it was a pretty quick process.

Interview Questions

• They didn't ask me much--they seemed to expect me to ask most of the questions.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was very friendly and casual but it lasted two hours. They gave me a lot of information about the job. They told me that they have a high turn over and were looking for someone that they thought was going to stay. They offered to start me as a temp employee.