Mattel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Mattel

2.8

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Mattel (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Imagine doing your first in-person interviews and being contacted just a couple hours later because they want to bring you in for 2nd round interviews. Sounds great but then the HR coordinator spent the next THREE weeks asking for when I was available and I gave them several days each time. This went on over multiple emails and I couldn't believe that they finally sent me an email saying they were now looking at other candidates! Why would you contact me asking me for interview dates for 2nd rounds and wasting my time to give me an answer like that? Terrible experience and I wouldn't have taken an offer anyways given the lack of follow through and professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Why do want to come back to the toy industry?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

The first round is a phone screen. If you pass phone screen, then you usually interview with 3-4 people from Manager to Director level to identify what team/brand would be a good fit. If the 2nd round goes well, then you usually have final round with a few Directors/VP level. You interview with people that are on the team as well as cross-functional partners you would work with (design, product development, marketing, etc.).

Interview Questions

• -Tell me about a good & bad marketing campaign? What makes it good/bad?
      -What is the biggest mistake or regret you have made?
      -What is your elevator pitch?
      -What is your biggest strength/weakness?
      -Case Questions: How would you sell this product (pen/water bottle/etc.) to a retail buyer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate 2 week delay before start date to get a bit of time to move & rejuvenate before starting role. Salary at AMM level typically is non-negotiable and pretty fair compensation to start.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

A phone interview first, then followed by few in person interviews afterwards by individuals from different roles. Everyone was very nice and the interview process was very well organized.

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Mostly behavioral questions. Met with 3 interviewers on round 1, and 5 interviewers on round 2. They were mostly interested in fit and personality. Variety of backgrounds welcome so don't be shy

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattel.

Interview

1) Submitted my application in March,
    2) Got an email for a phone screen in early April
    3) Phone Screen
    4) Interview with 4 different team members from the department I'm applying including hiring manager
    5) 3 Phone interviews with various directors
    6) Assessment - late April/early May

7) Then nothing .... as other reviewers are saying "crickets"

Early on they were quite responsive and clearly I'm a qualified candidate who impressed at least some of the 8 people I interviewed with -- however its now been over a month and I've sent polite follow up emails (trying not to seem over eager or annoying) and left two messages for my recruiter. Website says still "Under Consideration."

I'm fine getting a no, but please can you reach out and tell me that? After taking the time to speak with eight different people, complete an assessment/multiple rounds, I think I deserve that courtesy. This a post-Master's position for me and so I've been in school until recent graduation, but I don't have all the time to wait and have a few other offers.

After everyone I spoke with and the job description, this role was my number one pick, but I don't even know if I'm still being considered and can't wait. I accepted elsewhere and the fact that this is a pattern for them is ridiculous and unprofessional.

IT WAS EIGHT INTERVIEWS AND AN ASSESSMENT AND THEY WON'T EVEN TAKE THE TIME TO SAY NO OR STILL IN CONSIDERATION. Pardon the all caps, but the rest of the process was a delight and the people in the department are clearly top notch and great -- I'm just frustrated as a qualified candidate that anyone who has set aside the time and put in the effort this much can't even get a response.

I called the recruiters... and I never call recruiters unprompted.

I also have a friend who while is on a slightly more recent timeline is experiencing the same thing with a different department -- I'm not sure what is going on over there, but it's really putting me off the brand.

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

3 interviews - with hiring managers
    Took 6 months to get back
    Explained the company structure & roles
    One interview with dotted line reporting too - very warm interviews and based on past experience and reapplicablr learnings
    Tell me something about yourself
    Where have you worked before strengths and weaknesses - location constraint

Interview Questions

• Past experiences , tell me something about yourself
      What did you Lear
      Strengths and weaknesses
      Pay below industry standard
      3 interviews - with hiring managers
      Took 6 months to get back
      Explained the company structure & roles
      Tell me something about yourself
      Where have you worked before strengths and weaknesses - location constraint   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

It has taken maybe 3-4 weeks as I began right before the Christmas/New Years holiday. I was referred by someone that already works there to a recruier. After going over my resume they gave me a call and we had a roughly 30 min conversation on my background/qualifications. She was recruting for an AMM role and advised me she would forward my resume to the hiring manager (even though I was not as analytical as they usually see for this role). I then had about a 30 min conversation with the hiring manager a few days later where we talked more about my background and fitness for the role.
    After that I wwas brough in for 3 interviews, 30 mins each. 1 with my boss (who I had already spoken to), 1 with my counterpart in the same position on my team, and the last with the Director (my boss' boss). Overall the questions seemed standard, although the Director did ask me to sell her a water bottle (that was fun). Other than that pretty standard.

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mattel.

Interview

I had a phone call with recruiter after applying online then offered to send my resume to the hiring manager when they were back in the office. We only talked for about 10 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Summer internship

Interview Questions

• Non were too difficult, but be ready for case based questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mattel (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

Submitted a resume, received a call from HR with about a 30 minute chat, followed up with another 30 minute chat and then went onsite for one in person meeting with the director, and 3 managers - one my direct manager and two adjacent managers. Last meeting was with the head of marketing. HR was extremely nice during the process.