Mattermark Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Mattermark

2.2

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Mattermark.

Interview

Standard engineering interview process. Contacted by recruiter to schedule phone interview. Was scheduled for second phone interview with cto. Tons of open questions about site and how to improve it. Got some random question about how I think their news stream feature works (high level architecture etc.)

Interview Questions

• Find repeated number on sequence within range (all numbers in range guaranteed to occur at least once).   Answer Question

Vice President Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Mattermark in June 2015.

Interview

The CEO reached out to me back in September 2014 thinking I might be a good fit for the position, which would report directly to her. First call was with HR, which went well and I was then asked to do a case study. Within 48 hours of completing said case study, I was informed by HR that hiring for a VP Marketing was being put on hold, which I understand happens at startups. Then in May 2015 I saw the position was once again available and applied online.

I spoke with a member of the marketing team, and advanced to the next round. At this point, the office manager (?) scheduled a call between myself and the CEO. The first 2 calls resulted in my waiting on hold on a conference line; after those 2 experiences, I specifically asked for the CEO's direct line and provided my cell number in case that was easier for the CEO.

Each call took weeks to schedule and after each call I emailed the CEO and scheduler to work towards fixing the problem for the next call. After the 3rd call, I didn't even get a response.

At that point, I withdrew my application for VP marketing explaining that I was excited to learn more about the role and Mattermark, but if I'm having this much trouble getting on a call, I have serious misgivings about proceeding further in this process.

The CEO's executive assistant replied and the entire response was "Thank you for your feedback." This was a few weeks ago and I have never heard back from the CEO directly. Without a doubt one of the worst interview processes I have ever been a part of and overall very disrespectful.

Interview Questions

• Questions in my interview with the marketing team member focused on my approach to SaaS marketing, how would I structure a marketing team, and what I knew of the company. As mentioned above, I never got chance to speak to CEO.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mattermark in September 2014.

Interview

Contacted by CTO with an initial offer. Asked for flexibility on the salary and they increased. Phone screen scheduled with recruiter, but they had to reschedule and set me up with a phone screen with the CTO instead. Talked 30 minutes with CTO about background, skills, the company, interests, etc. Asked one algorithms question (given a list of numbers [1..N) with one element repeated, find the repeated element). Next, had a 1 hour phone interview with an engineer. Was asked to join a collaborative session on jsfiddle.net to work on a JS/frontend problem (given a bunch of data in a JS 2d-array, write code to turn this into a sorted table, and focus on making it user friendly). Was also asked some pretty in-depth questions about the product (how did you use the product, what would you change, what things did you notice as a new user). Everything felt pretty good, but the recruiter followed up a few days later and said they don't have an opening right now.

Interview Questions

• In your first month here, what would be the most interesting thing for you to work on? How would you accomplish that?   1 Answer

Sales Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mattermark (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Applied online and heard back really quickly. Set up initial phone screen. Basic behavioral stuff. Was told I'd hear back at the end of the week. I did.
    People seemed very nice. Genuinely seemed interested in my background. In the end, there was lack of a fit. Definitely a good opportunity

Sales Development Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Mattermark.

Interview

Started out extremely passionate about the company, tech, and founders, and followed their story. I wanted to join and was sure it would be a fit. Alas, the interview process was a poor impression that left me feeling completely indifferent about them.

I reached out to the company on AngelList because their tech has been gaining traction, and watched an interview with the CEO and appreciated what she had to say. When I decided to start applying to places I made a point to apply there because I liked the company, and AngelList connected the CEO and myself.

The new boss for the role set up a call, but was called by a fellow SDR because the boss had left apparently. They just rapid fired a list of questions about my resume and why I applied and were very rushed to check boxes.

In office: met with another SDR and then an account executive. Conversations were productive and interesting.

Conversation with the new boss was just a redundant reiteration of the prior conversations and phone screen, and they made a point to yawn several times while I spoke to answer their questions. They also said there were doubts about being a fit. It was a hard conversation and an uphill battle and I wasn't sure what went wrong or what to do in that situation as it had never happened to me before. Wouldn't like to work underneath that lack of mutual respect anyhow.

Had a talk with one of the founders afterwards and was excited to meet them initially, but was deflated as I already knew I wouldn't be hired. The team unsurprisingly said I was a no-go. Strange experience.

Pushing through an ear infection and fever to come in, only to be shut down, left me totally disappointed as I was ready to come in and do great things with them. Then saw that it was not the company I had pictured originally. Huge let down. Hopefully they can figure things out so they can thrive in the future.

See some sample Qs below if you think you'd like to work there:

Interview Questions

• - What are you most proud of?
      - Do you feel lucky?
      - Why sales? Why will you do well?
      - A time you felt slighted by a coworker?
      - Why Mattermark as opposed to others, what do you know about the tech, what kinds of customers would like this product and what about the product would they like?
      - How would you sell this product to sales organizations? Finance? What if they say no, how would you handle objections?
      - What makes you so interested in Mattermark?
      - Tell me about a time you had to get around an obstacle to achieve a goal?
      - Talk to me more about, and give me an example of your competitive nature.
      - What are 3 things that set you apart from other candidates?
      - Among other, similar questions.   1 Answer

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Mattermark (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I had been following Mattermark for a few months so I reached out to the CEO directly. She responded quickly and scheduled a phone screen. After the call I came into the office and met a member from the sales team, CS team, and the COO. The interviews were very friendly, mostly looking for value/cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• Given an example of a common objection I was asked to come up with a response on the fly.   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Interview

Phone Screen with Head of Sales, Onsite with Head of Sales, AE and one of cofounders. Enjoyed all the conversations and thought they went well but never received word until weeks later after proactively reaching out regarding their decision. Disorganized and lackluster interview experience with no clear next steps communicated after the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you dealt with conflict and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mattermark (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

An exec at Mattermark reached out to ask me to interview for a senior level role. I had never heard of the company but looked them up and decided that I was indeed interested in learning more. The company's recruiter really botched things up, sending me invites with incorrect meeting times etc. Then I spoke to the COO and he was really all over the place, sounding super unfocused. I was having trouble envisioning me working with him. He then had me speak to someone else. The call went well though I also felt like I heard more negatives than positives about the company during the conversation, which left me with many questions about whether or not I even still wanted to consider working for Mattermark. Other things then happened - further poor communication - leaving me really curious how the company even survives. Eventually I got an email telling me the role had been filled. I'm fine with this outcome as I'm not ultimately interested in working for a company that treats potential employees so poorly, but seriously guys....I have never been treated so poorly as a candidate.

Vice President Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mattermark (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Hot and cold. First we need to talk. Kept putting off interview. Then finally set up call with Exec. Then need to meet to discuss face to face. Then no response for weeks. Then let's not meet but talk with non Exec. Then not interested anymore. Just seemed to be stalling.

Interview Questions

• How would you treat an employee and keep them motivated   Answer Question

Client Success Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattermark (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Unprofessional

* Applied online and the Recruiter contacted me a week later to setup the phone interview and sent a Google Calendar confirmation to lock up the time slot.

*Recruiter showed up late to the call and began to ask me questions about my background and qualifications and rushed me through the process. Recruiter did not read my resume and was reading off my LinkedIn profile.

*Recruiter then asked me if I had any questions about the company or position. I got 3 questions in before the recruiter rudely cut me off, (Could you describe the environment at the office, what are some challenges faced at the position and a technical question about their product that the recruiter could not answer.)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, What experience do you have with client success, have you ever had to deal with a difficult customer, Why do you want to work for Mattermark and not another startup in SF or Silicon Valley?   Answer Question