Mattermark Reviews | Glassdoor

Mattermark Reviews

3.2
Danielle Morrill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Smart, committed, and compassionate co-workers"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mattermark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are intelligent, diverse, creative, compassionate, friendly, and driven. I feel like we make real progress on our objectives on a weekly basis. Modernization of tooling (Docker, Mesos, Elasticbeanstalk) has made it much easier to be an effective engineer.

Cons

The office can be a loud place to work. There are not enough restrooms to accommodate everyone at peak times.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the hiring bar high.

2. "Sales"

I worked at Mattermark full-time

Pros

Great and talented employees here

Cons

Poor C suite leadership who were not receptive to feedback

"CEO Amateur Wannabe Princess of Startups"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mattermark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Company no longer exists! The Market figured out the CEO built nothing of value. She has embarrassed herself! Fake always looses in the end.

Cons

What a terrible Product this is: Mattermark. All this is is recycled news from elsewhere / not even curated content. At least make it easy for me by organizing / curating.

And the CEO Danielle Merrill who founded this company - what an idiot. She would not listen and spent her time pretending to be a Startup Princess. Her employees worked their butts off under her direction and leadership. All they got was a pink slip when the company sold for peanuts / there was no value left for common stock holders. That hasn’t happened since the Dot Com Bomb era. Pathetic!

She should be roasted publicly for wasting Investor $$ and wasting lives of good employees. Amateur, Wannabe Princess of Startups! Put that on your resume!

Advice to Management

Go find other careers. Stay out of the Startup World! It only works out when you Listen!

"Great mission statement, product stuck in the middle"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mattermark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Warm culture of encouraging colleagues that comes along with an amazing office and location. In my tenure there I was never micro managed and was allowed the space to create my own approach and control my own schedule.

Cons

Lack of coaching, and minimal support from the sales manager. There was only one while I was there, he was a tall guy who seemed like he was overwhelmed from the start and inexplicably timid like he'd been completely defeated at his previous company. In any case, there wasn't much in the way of helping to close deals.

The product itself was nice, but it was stuck in between niches. It was too high priced for SMB and not deep enough to compete with more robust products for mid-market/enterprise accounts. Additionally, it's product's purpose had somewhat of an identity crisis. They tried to pivot towards a sales use case but didn't want to provide contact information to be of value in that regard.

Advice to Management

Create a process for your sales executives and commit to their success.

Product Managers - Pick a lane and decide what this tool is actually best used for. The VC use case or the Sales use case.

"Might be on a downward trend"

I worked at Mattermark full-time

Pros

Lost of snacks, working on an interesting set of problems, and in general everyone there is pretty smart and friendly.

Cons

Seems to have lost sales traction, still in search of product-market fit, and there is stiff competition from companies with deeper data and more features.

"Sinking Ship - Know what you are getting into!"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mattermark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I originally was not going to write a review about Mattermark until seeing all of the recent job openings. Want to make sure anyone interviewing with Mattermark has a clear vision of the company, something most of us did not have. Mattermark hires great and talented people, although there has been a mass exodus. Just look at the amount of job openings they have and how recent they all are.

I would also guess the 5 star review bellow is written by a founder.

Cons

There have been multiple rounds of layoffs, one where they went through the Account Executives and SDR's a month after hiring many of them, tapped people on the shoulder, took them into a conference room, and fired them while the rest of the sales team sat there watching and wondering who would be tapped next. The founders decided to scale up the sales team without having product market fit so they had a sales team with no product to sell.

The founders do not know what they are doing, the CEO held an all hands where she told a company with very low morale that the company would not be acquired, probably couldn't raise more funding, and she was going to run the company into the ground. Terrible leadership and unprofessional.

The company peaked at around 60 employees in June/July 2016, now I would be surprised if they have 20. The VP's and the founders clash and lacked communication which made the working environment very hostile, especially when they would loudly argue in the middle of the open office space. Most of the VP's have left the company.

Advice to Management

At this point if the founders want to save the company they need to step down and bring in people more experienced, I'm surprised the board hasn't done this already. The reason you hire VP's of different departments is so you can delegate responsibility and because they are experts at what they do. You are not experts so stop micro managing.

"Sinking Ship. The Writing is on the Wall."

I worked at Mattermark full-time

Pros

Interesting product in a challenging vertical

Cons

Epic Mismanagement. CEO (Danielle) cares more about tweeting and cultivating her image than running the company (does this sound like anyone else to you?). The founders do not know how to run the business. Top executives are departing en masse: the VP Product quit, VP Marketing quit, VP engineering quit. The writing is on the wall. Stay away unless you like getting pink slipped within 90 days of onboarding

Advice to Management

I know it's a hard thing to say... but to the founders: please get out of your own way and let experienced executives take over day-to-day control of the company. You don't know what you're doing.

"Things aren't going well"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Mattermark full-time

Pros

Company has a lot of visibility. Well respected when people have heard of the company. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The infighting and politics are insane for a company of this size. Just lost our head of product. Customers are leaving because they don't think the product delivers on promises. Roadmap on how to get to vision is in shambles. Architecture can't support where we want to go. CEO seems more interested in writing articles, tweeting, and speaking at events than putting out the fires at home. Many employees are looking for new jobs. Very unhealthy culture with the CXOs keeping everyone in the dark.

Advice to Management

You're running out of time to turn the ship around - it's time to either make some huge changes or it's hard to imagine this company surviving much longer.

"Great Passion, Poor Leadership"

Pros

Everyone at Mattermark is passionate and wants to see the company succeed. The problems the company is trying to tackle are challenging and well worth the effort. Benefits are good and it can be a fun place to work because a lot of the people make it fun.

Cons

Plagued by internal politics, turnover from employees leaving on their own accord and being terminated, poor product roadmap, and necessary hires going unhired. Management prides itself on being transparent, and is with the finances, but misleads and even lies to employees about the people-centric issues.

Data team needs more support. Product team needs more support. Engineers need more support. None of these teams are given the resources they need to succeed, and the product is why users are churning.

CEO sees some employees as a cost experiment and others as friends. She is often MIA.

Advice to Management

Founders should hire professionals to manage the company and step aside. Sometimes the hardest part of making a company successful is knowing when to remove yourself from the day-to-day operations.

"Business Development"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mattermark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is here because they want to be. When I walked in I knew this was were I wanted to be. Yes there are some growth pains as far as management structure, it is a start up! But everyone is happy to pitch in and figure things out as we go.

Cons

For me the commute is not my favorite thing, but it is worth it to be part of this company.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. Danielle, Kevin, and Andy bring this team to life and are always there when you have a question.