Mellon Capital Management Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mellon Capital Management Interview Questions

2.4

Investment Fund Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mellon Capital Management.

Interview

I applied through the bny website and was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later. The interview was with the department manager and two supervisors and lasted about 40 minutes. The atmosphere of the interview was relaxed and involved a few behavioral questions as well as detailed questions the interviewers had about my experience and why I chose the respective position. Overall, the process was professional, informative, and well executed.

Interview Questions

• If you were working on a time sensitive project that was near it's deadline and you thought or knew you were not going to meet the deadline; what would you do?   Answer Question

Trade Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mellon Capital Management (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Was called back in several months later for this position after the first position I interviewed for had been filled. Upon second interview, felt very short and as if a decision had been made prior to my meeting.

Interview Questions

• Can you commit two years to this role?
      How do you feel about working NYC Market hours in San Francisco?
      Where do you see yourself moving onto next?   Answer Question

Felt compensation was below industry average for experience I would bring to table. Negotiations were very minimal which could be a concern for future scenarios. Small office, felt company was lacking a work culture. Offices also primarily located in Pittsburgh, PA & San Francisco, CA. No NYC presence which could limit future potential and growth opportunities.

Trading Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Mellon Capital Management.

Interview

I applied back in July and didn't receive a call back from HR until early November. Apparently, it is a new role and they were waiting for the go ahead to hire. Once I received a call from HR, the process took about two weeks. The usual HR phone interview, then a phone interview with one of the senior traders. Must be able to show interest in the market and the position to move on to the in-person round. The in-person interview consisted of 3 1:1 with the Director and two VPs of trading. There were some arithmetic questions and behavioral questions, no technical questions. It's also important to keep up with current events and the market as it applies to each interviewer. Two weeks after the in-person interview, I was notified that they had selected another candidate with more experience. Overall, the experience was positive and I had a chance to meet some great people in the trading group.

Interview Questions

• What created the 2008 market crash? The people who pushed the option arm loans to the borrowers or the people who packaged those loans?   1 Answer

Client Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Mellon Capital Management (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Process was very unorganized. Follow through was not timely. I showed up to pick up my drug test info and the front desk had no idea who I was, I had to reschedule. People I interviewed with were more interested in venting about their frustrations rather than asking relevant questions.

Interview Questions

• One of the senior managers in a portfolio management group asked that I complete an Excel spreadsheet to test my aptitude with Excel. I was allowed to do this outside of the interview and could have had my roommate complete it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiate for what you want up front, once you are in the door raises are not significant anymore.

Client Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mellon Capital Management (San Francisco, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Began with a phone interview out of New York. I received the request three weeks after submitting my resume. Was invited in for an interview in San Francisco. I had three interviews with 7 employees. One interview had four employees sitting in.

Interview Questions

• If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?   1 Answer

Senior Investment Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mellon Capital Management (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Extensive process involving phone and in person interviews with nearly a dozen people.
    You will be asked about your wilingness to travel. You will need to travel at least 50% of the time, sometimes a little less or a little more. Helpful if you have interest in respresenting investment strategies without actually managing any portfolios. Good if you have decent presentation skills.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between Information and Sharpe Ratios?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The firm is bleeding clients, assets and revenues. Has also been continually laying off employees. So, be realistic.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mellon Capital Management (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2011.

Interview

I received a phone call to set up an interview with 6 managers as well as director of Fund Accounting. Interview took just over an hour and was very typical and casual. I received an offer the very next day and began within a few weeks. They really like internal transfers from BNY Mellon, but also try to look outside of the company.

Interview Questions

• Very basic questions. Interview was not difficult and very casual.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as an internal transfer, but did receive a raise within a month of accepting.

Fund Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mellon Capital Management (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2011.

Interview

I received a call from HR and scheduled an interview the following week. The interview was very informal and mellow. I received a phone call the following day and an offer was presented.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mellon Capital Management (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2011.

Interview

Met with VP and supervisor during first interview. Short, easy process for entry level job. No complaints. Got a tour of the floor and introduced to future colleagues. Questions were basic and easy since it was an entry level position.

Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mellon Capital Management (San Francisco, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

I had a few interiews with this organisation. Its been a few months, haven't heard from them. I have contacted their HR a few times and they kept telling me they'll notify me on the decision and never did. My first interview and third interview went great. The second one was ok. In general I understood that these people don't know what they are looking for. They had the opening for months. I know understand that I wouldn't want to work there as they don't show respect towards potential candidates. Plus the whole office wasmessy and as far as I understood their working style is also not very organized.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths ? What kind of challenges did you overcome? Why do you want to work for MCM?   Answer Question